Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:41   #1216
Senior - BHPian
 
foby.sebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KL-08 / KL-01
Posts: 2,447
Thanked: 1,095 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Its Registered as a Ford 1930 with 24.03 BHP (KLT 736). As you said nice one for restoration.

Foby, where is this one ? I hope its with some serious collector or restorer and not with some one who hoarding it hopping to make a "kill" "some day"

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
I have heard few stories about this Ford model A Roadster , the car is still with the owner and no chance of selling it to any one , as i am informed by the workshop people.

The car is undergoing restoration now and first step of ripping the car down to bits and peices is happening now. I really worry about the outcome of the restoration as the place is some what like a junkyard. There is also an Austin Cambridge and Standard Herald Gazel Mark 1 already rusting in to peices in the same workshop.
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 23:10   #1217
Senior - BHPian
 
foby.sebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KL-08 / KL-01
Posts: 2,447
Thanked: 1,095 Times
Default

Name:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1400866511.853185.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  86.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1400866554.738113.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  75.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1400866592.723548.jpg
Views: 1128
Size:  72.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1400866628.942063.jpg
Views: 1131
Size:  72.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1400866714.417992.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  84.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTeamBHP1400866755.337649.jpg
Views: 1130
Size:  90.9 KB

Is that a dodge polara , the chevy monogram on the bootlid is confusing?
foby.sebastian is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 09:42   #1218
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,088 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Is that a dodge polara , the chevy monogram on the bootlid is confusing?
Quite likely that it is a Dodge Polara. A 1965/66 one, perchance?

The Chevrolet badge IS confusing, because it looks quite modernish to me. Picked off some recent ones maybe.

Dodge never had any partnerships with Chevrolet anyway. Remember the DPDC Combine.

What about the Mercedes W114/115 beside it? That interests me a lot more.

Cheers!
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 17:16   #1219
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 901 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
I have heard few stories about this Ford model A Roadster , the car is still with the owner and no chance of selling it to any one , as i am informed by the workshop people.

The car is undergoing restoration now and first step of ripping the car down to bits and peices is happening now. I really worry about the outcome of the restoration as the place is some what like a junkyard. There is also an Austin Cambridge and Standard Herald Gazel Mark 1 already rusting in to peices in the same workshop.
This ford A has been in very long term ownership with a family in Trivandrum.It was in running condition till about 30 years ago and then it was in hibernation.here are some photos of the car.
The austin cambridge and gazel belong to the same owner(not the ford owner) and is in very bad shape as can be seen
Attached Thumbnails
Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-p1_045.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-p1_046.jpg  

Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar-p1_044.jpg  


Last edited by ajay99 : 24th May 2014 at 17:20.
ajay99 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 17:23   #1220
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 901 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Attachment 1243524Attachment 1243525Attachment 1243526Attachment 1243527Attachment 1243528Attachment 1243529

Is that a dodge polara , the chevy monogram on the bootlid is confusing?
This looks like the same DODGE POLARA which belonged to the KTC group in calicut.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 19:05   #1221
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Kochi
Posts: 6
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Quite likely that it is a Dodge Polara. A 1965/66 one, perchance?

The Chevrolet badge IS confusing, because it looks quite modernish to me. Picked off some recent ones maybe.

Dodge never had any partnerships with Chevrolet anyway. Remember the DPDC Combine.

What about the Mercedes W114/115 beside it? That interests me a lot more.

Cheers!
There's no doubt about the Dodge though I do suspect that it's a 123 in the background....but hey it's just a hunch

@Foby where is this place ???
L-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2014, 20:16   #1222
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 1,461 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
This looks like the same DODGE POLARA which belonged to the KTC group in calicut.
Ajay its unlikely that its the car that was with KTC (picture you had posted). It already had a KRD registration - unless it has been sold out of state and registered there and then come back and registered in Kerala with the new series number.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2014, 10:38   #1223
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Nagercoil
Posts: 60
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Ajay its unlikely that its the car that was with KTC (picture you had posted). It already had a KRD registration - unless it has been sold out of state and registered there and then come back and registered in Kerala with the new series number.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram
The number of the dodge as per RTO records belongs to that of a contessa classic. is this polara a modified contessa??
sankar009 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 11:26   #1224
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,932
Thanked: 339 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
This ford A has been in very long term ownership with a family in Trivandrum.It was in running condition till about 30 years ago and then it was in hibernation.here are some photos of the car.
The austin cambridge and gazel belong to the same owner(not the ford owner) and is in very bad shape as can be seen

That is a Sports Coupe, pretty rare in India, pity the car is in such a mess right now.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 13:16   #1225
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,098
Thanked: 1,088 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankar009 View Post
The number of the dodge as per RTO records belongs to that of a contessa classic. is this polara a modified contessa??
Perchance, the people at the RTO messed it up. Saw a hugeish car, and thought, Yes! It is a Contessa.

The car is genuine. The fact that you thought of it to even be a modified Contessa, reeks of half knowledge. Get your facts right.

The RTO has been known to bug up, many a time in the past. Standard 10s "Pennants" have been known to be registered as a Standard 20s.

Many Delights were reregistered as Presidents, and Padminis.

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 26th May 2014 at 13:18.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2014, 14:44   #1226
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,686
Thanked: 1,461 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Perchance, the people at the RTO messed it up. Saw a hugeish car, and thought, Yes! It is a Contessa.

The car is genuine. The fact that you thought of it to even be a modified Contessa, reeks of half knowledge. Get your facts right.

The RTO has been known to bug up, many a time in the past. Standard 10s "Pennants" have been known to be registered as a Standard 20s.

Many Delights were reregistered as Presidents, and Padminis.

Cheers!
Fintail,

What if the mess up has been done by the current owners of the car intentionally with the connivance of the RTO People (you know at RTO anything is possible)

I have learnt reliably that this is the same car that was originally registered as KRD 1000 - a picture of which is there just a few posts before (post #1197) - at a Film Shoot Location (then owners were a prominent Production house in Malayalam Film industry)

How the same car came to be registered twice in a state itself is a mystery - may be they just obtained a new number to escape the tax arears etc.

How and why such an original car was screwed up in such a manner - only God and the guys who did it will know.

Best Regards & Drive Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 26th May 2014 at 14:48.
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2014, 15:57   #1227
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Nagercoil
Posts: 60
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Perchance, the people at the RTO messed it up. Saw a hugeish car, and thought, Yes! It is a Contessa.

The car is genuine. The fact that you thought of it to even be a modified Contessa, reeks of half knowledge. Get your facts right.

The RTO has been known to bug up, many a time in the past. Standard 10s "Pennants" have been known to be registered as a Standard 20s.

Many Delights were reregistered as Presidents, and Padminis.

Cheers!
I didnt say it was a modified contessa, I just asked that query,because it is having the contessa engine and the rto records say so. Delites,Presidents and Padminis all had the same Manufacturer,so chance of error is there but no chance of a sixties Dodge being reregistered as a nineties model contessa!!. like ram said how can you blame the rto and say the car is genuine without having first hand information/seeing the car??
sankar009 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:16   #1228
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,367
Thanked: 901 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

One of the first State Transport buses of Travancore in front of Thampanoor Railway station.It was the TRIVANDRUM KOLLAM express service
Attached Images
 
ajay99 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2014, 16:43   #1229
Senior - BHPian
 
foby.sebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: KL-08 / KL-01
Posts: 2,447
Thanked: 1,095 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
One of the first State Transport buses of Travancore in front of Thampanoor Railway station.It was the TRIVANDRUM KOLLAM express service
What make is it ? Bedford/Leyland ? year ?

Thanks for sharing the picture
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2014, 01:30   #1230
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,803
Thanked: 3,532 Times
Default Re: Classics of Travancore, Cochin and Malabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
One of the first State Transport buses of Travancore in front of Thampanoor Railway station.It was the TRIVANDRUM KOLLAM express service
In 1938 the Travancore State Motor Transport system bought 60 Commer PNF3 chassis with Perkins Lynx diesels. They were primarily used on the Trivandrum - Cape Comorin routes. This picture looks later than the 1930's.

Last edited by travancore : 3rd July 2014 at 01:31.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Car Detailing - Travancore Auto Spa (Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala) jfxavier Other Cities 7 13th February 2015 22:38
Tipu looted Kerala, Malabar annexes Mysore jeevmenon Travelogues 47 1st October 2010 22:11
A trip along Malabar-Konkan coast. Random Route / Travel Queries 3 17th October 2009 00:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks