Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 20th December 2009, 19:16   #136
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
The Heritage Motoring Club of India will be exclusively participating in the 10th Auto Expo 2010, January 5-11, 2010 with an unparalleled display of 90 vintage and classic autos, providing you seven full days of classic autos! The display will be spread in area of over 20,000 sq.ft.
Great, I'll see you there. I'll be there from the 3rd to 12th.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:03   #137
BHPian

We are pleased to inform you that the Heritage Motoring Club of India in association with CII will exclusively participate in the 10th Auto Expo 2010, January 5-11, 2010 with an unparalleled display of 100 vintage and classic autos, providing you 7 full days of classic autos!

CII has allocated HMCI over 22,000 sq. ft. of covered Area (Tented) near the Main Entry at Gate 2 (Bhairon Marg) for our Vintage & Classic Automobile Display.

We will be showcasing the best restored thoroughbred classics as also rare, exotic, iconic and popular models of classic automobiles from 1920-1970 with the objective of creating greater understanding and appreciation of our passion.

Entry is open to all members of the Heritage Motoring Club of India and to non-members upon payment of membership fees. The Governing Body of the HMCI reserves the sole right to accept or reject any or all entries, in its discretion, at any time and selection of cars is subject to final decision of the Governing Body of the HMCI.

ELIGIBLE VEHICLES

Vehicles are classified into the following categories:

A. Vintage – Manufactured upto 31.12.1939
B. Classics – Manufactured between 1.1.1940 to 31.12.1969
C. Sportsters & Roadsters – Manufactured upto 31.12.1969
D. Indian made Foreign Cars – Manufactured upto 1960
(Fiat, Landmaster, Ambassador and Standard Cars, etc. do not qualify for entry in this category.)

Charges for participation by non-members of HMCI are Rs. 20,000 per car and Rs. 10,000 per two wheeler with Associate Life Membership included.

Any participant wishing to participate with more than one car/two wheeler will be charged Rs. 20,000 per car and Rs. 10,000 per two wheeler. Additional entries may be accepted subject to type of make, availability of space and condition of car.

Cars/two wheelers to be entered must be show worthy, cleaned, polished and finely detailed.

Entry fees must accompany the duly completed Entry Form. Entry Forms without the requisite fees will not be accepted. Please send in your completed Entry in the attached form to the General Secretary, Heritage Motoring Club of India, R-77A, Greater Kailash – I, New Delhi – 110048 by 6:00 p.m. Monday, December 28, 2009. Short listed entries will be announced on Tuesday, December 29, 2009 by 6:00 p.m. All entries will be screened and selected by Mr. R. N Seth, Mr. Jitender Pandit, Mr. S. B. Jatti and Mr. Diljeet Titus.

All eligible Participants must report on 3/1/2010 at 11:00 a.m. sharp at our Display Area (adjoining the Crystal Banquet/Restaurant) near Main Entry at Gate 2, Bhairon Marg. Parking will be as per parking plan in designated parking areas in the Display Area, which will be notified to accepted entries.

Participants are responsible for daily cleaning, water proof covering and attendant/security of their car/two wheeler.

Please send in your entries at the soonest and get your cars and motorcycles ready for this fabulous event!

Sponsorships in cash or kind are most welcome; Also, we need 10 volunteers each day to help in the activities we have planned. Please send in your names so we can draw a roster of volunteers for the events below.

The HMCI is the sole classic auto club that has participated in each of the past four Auto Expos of 2002, 2004, 2006 and 2008. The quality of our participation in Auto Expo 2010, India’s greatest auto event, will be pathbreaking as we are intensely involved with Auto Expo 2010 not only with our display but in several other areas.

HMCI’s Vintage & Classic Automobile Display will be Inaugurated by Shri M. S. Gill, Union Minister of Youth Affairs & Sports on Tuesday, January 5, 2010. This Inauguration will again be special as HMCI’s display will be the first pavilion to be inaugurated at Auto Expo 2010.

We have planned a number of exciting activities and events to add value to our display at Auto Expo. Some of these are:

(i) We will have a Chief Guest as well as Guests of Honor and Celebrities visiting our display everyday. These will include Cabinet Ministers, Members of Parliament, Governors, Chief Ministers, Ambassadors, High Commissioners, Heads of former Princely States, Actors, Cricketers and other Celebrity enthusiasts.

(ii) Extensive Pre, Present and Post event coverage in Print and Electronic media of our Vintage & Classic Automobile Display through our dedicated PR Agency, Soul Media, for this event and our own extensive media contacts. We will also provide a complimentary full page advertisement of Auto Expo in ‘Classic Wheels’ - The Journal of The Heritage Motoring Club of India.

(iii) Release of India’s Vintage & Classic Car Wall Calendar 2010 “The Classic Heritage of India” at Auto Expo 2010 featuring photographs by K. Jairaj Chaudhari.

(iv) HMCI will provide Vintage & Classic Cars (Convertibles and Limousines) to CII for transportation of CII nominated guests at Auto Expo 2010.

(v) Presentation of Mementoes by HMCI to Chief Guests, Guests of Honour, CII Industry leaders and persons of significant achievements including all participants.

(vi) Automotive Fine Arts Exhibition - Paintings, Photographs, Sketches, Advertisements and Automobilia will be on display at our Pavilion from the private collections of Mr. Sandeep Katari, Mr. Jairaj Chaudhari, Mr. Sunil Sahai and Mr. Diljeet Titus, among others.

(vii) Painting Competition with a classic automotive theme for visiting children.

(viii) Special Tours and lunch at our Pavilion for underprivileged children from SOS Children’s Village and for the elderly from HelpAge India.

(ix) Special Tours to our Pavilion for Children from Schools – we are building the next generation of collectors right now!

(x) Live Rock ‘n’ Roll Show by Black Slade every evening at our Pavilion from 4-7 p.m.

(xi) Display at our Pavilion of a Horse Carriage fabulously restored by Mr. Sandeep Katari for educational purposes, and to show the transition from Horse Carriages to Horseless Carriages!

(xii) Take - Out Treasure - Our Auction of a restorable Classic Car for a charitable cause will draw admiration and bids. Bang for a hundred bucks!

(xiii) Display of a recent find – we are looking to members to provide an original unrestored Classic Car for display at our Pavilion.

(xiv) Our Pavilion will have a large stall distributing Classic Wheels, VCD’s containing recordings of our recent events, Wall Calendars, Posters, T-Shirts, Caps, Badges, classic auto books, classic auto models, as well as display of photos and print media coverage of our events this year.

(xv) A Jodhpur Tent to house the Members/VIP lounge with luxury seating from Manjit Bhullar.

(xvi) A restaurant will be set up in our Pavilion serving Continental and Indian food and wines.

(xvii) Breeding horsepower at Auto Expo - HMCI will offer visiting enthusiasts tips on restoration. The Heritage Stock Exchange will provide advice on buying and selling collectibles, and much more!

(xviii) A display by Manjit Bhullar of three classic Bullet motorcycles – modified!

The foregoing is a representative description of the activities that the HMCI has planned and will implement at Auto Expo 2010. HMCI has planned many more exciting events in and around Auto Expo 2010 so that our Vintage & Classic Automobile Display attracts more showgoers and creates maximum impact! Showgoers will be drawn to our display–the LIVELINESS of the crowd, the anticipation of ENERGY, and the gripping INTENSITY of a classic experience like no other, FUELED with the ADRENALINE of a Live Rock ‘n’ Roll Show!

We look forward to your participation and also request you and your family to volunteer your services in support of our participation at Auto Expo.

Please send in your completed Entry Form along with the requested details, a photograph of your car/two wheeler and payment in full by 6 p.m. December 28, 2009.

Do let us know how you would like to participate and help in the context of the events and activities that we have planned. A line in reply will be greatly appreciated.

Warm regards,

S. B. Jatti
Vice President
Heritage Motoring Club of India
(M) 9810037832
e-mail: sbjatti@gmail.com

Diljeet Titus
General Secretary
Heritage Motoring Club of India
(M) 9810001272
e-mail: dtitus@titus-india.com
Attached Files
File Type: doc Entry_Form_-_Auto_Expo_2010.doc (1.40 MB, 370 views)
S.B.Jatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:23   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
(Fiat, Landmaster, Ambassador and Standard Cars, etc. do not qualify for entry in this category.)
With no offence meant to the club, when an "Indian-made Foreign cars" category exists, wouldn't atleast Fiats and Standards made upto 1960 qualify for it, considering they were very much foreign cars (with minimal Indian parts) only assembled in India?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 00:37   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
With no offence meant to the club, when an "Indian-made Foreign cars" category exists, wouldn't atleast Fiats and Standards made upto 1960 qualify for it, considering they were very much foreign cars (with minimal Indian parts) only assembled in India?
I agree with you. The sole criteria of not considering Fiats, Ambys and Hearalds is only to restrict the number of entries for display. Since, we have limited space for display, we had to put some restrictions to limit the entries to managable levels.
S.B.Jatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 01:12   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Also, we need 10 volunteers each day to help in the activities we have planned. Please send in your names so we can draw a roster of volunteers for the events below.

What is the criteria for being a volunteer and can it be only for a specific day?
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:21   #141
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
ELIGIBLE VEHICLES

Vehicles are classified into the following categories:

A. Vintage – Manufactured upto 31.12.1939
B. Classics – Manufactured between 1.1.1940 to 31.12.1969
C. Sportsters & Roadsters – Manufactured upto 31.12.1969
Out of curiousity, what cars would qualify to be eligible for the Indian made Forgiegn cars category?
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:30   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Out of curiousity, what cars would qualify to be eligible for the Indian made Forgiegn cars category?
One could be the Dodge mabe by Premier Automobiles.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 10:39   #143
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Karlos from the turn of the century you had some Napiers assembled here, vintage Fiats, I've seen a Jaguar with a Simpson body plate, the Chevy Phaeton I am working on was assembled in India
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:10   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Karlos from the turn of the century you had some Napiers assembled here, vintage Fiats, I've seen a Jaguar with a Simpson body plate, the Chevy Phaeton I am working on was assembled in India

Not to forget the Ford Model A's and the various Morris and Austin cars too !
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:36   #145
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I've seen a Jaguar with a Simpson body plate, the Chevy Phaeton I am working on was assembled in India
GM I have heard about, but never heard of a local Jag! Amazing.
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:51   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Not to forget the Ford Model A's and the various Morris and Austin cars too !
Ford Model A were they also assembled in India??
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 12:51   #147
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
GM I have heard about, but never heard of a local Jag! Amazing.
The car is there in Madras, a Mk V with a lawyer. I was surprised to see the tag myself.
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:01   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Ford Model A were they also assembled in India??
Yes Ford had an assembly plant in India

DKG What did that tag read liek. Who were assembling the Mark V in India ?

Last edited by wasif : 23rd December 2009 at 13:03.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:18   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

I am taking an educated guess that by Indian made foreign cars one would think of the Chrysler products made by PAL, Studebakers made by HM and Buicks + Chevy's made by GM. Maybe they would consider Morris Minor convertibles.
All other cars assembled before the war would not really be noted as an India built foreign car. Who with a Ford A or Chevy 6 cylinder tourer of the 1930's has ever bothered to check where his car was assembled?
Ford & GM assembled their cars in Mumbai. Some folks like Simpson will have built bodies for sure, whether they actually assembled complete cars from kits is not very clear to me. But I have never seen any evidence that Jaguars were assembled in India, they were only sold through Garware Motors.
There was a body builder in Calcutta called Stuart who are known to have build a Rolls body, this car was recently auctioned abroad.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 14:22   #150
DKG
Senior - BHPian

I was surprised myself when I saw that body tag. It was Simpson of Madras if I remember correctly. I have a photograph of the tag somewhere. Will try to find it. Its a Mark V Jag. It was about 8 years ago that I saw the car so I can't remember all the details of the tag. But the car is there in Madras and we can always get a fresh picture.

I was just thinking. Maybe I am mistaken. Could Simpson have been dealers for Jaguar in Madras and attached these metal tags on cars sold by them?

Just found a post by John Elmgreen which mentions Simpson as a distributor. That explains why a metal tag was affixed to the fireweall !!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...tml#post820681

Last edited by DKG : 23rd December 2009 at 14:34.