Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 29th December 2009, 10:26   #16
BHPian

[quote=IndrojitSircar;1654999]Wow those cars are amazing.Any idea who owns these cars and any info who the chevy belongs to? My Grandfather had a 1956 Chevrolet Bel-Air pillerless coupe which was scrapped and cut into metal in 2000 due to lack of parking space and non functioning of the car but it was a complete car and had a V8 .

The XK and The Bel-Air belong to Mr.Rajiv Kher. Both these cars will be on display at the Auto Expo -2010.
S.B.Jatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 11:24   #17
BHPian

"The Pick of the Pick"

All three cars are Icons of their Breed.

-The Bentley, elegant with a youthful flair. I had a similar sedan back in the late sixties and found it to be the best car I ever had for elegance, comfort, drivability, and just shear feel goodness.

-The Jaguar, the car that transformed the Sports Car World. As a youngster of 15, I had a friend who used to take me out for long drives in his XK 120, 120 mph + on tight twisty country paved roads. What a Rush!

-And Oh the Chevy! It was every young mans dream to own one. One of my high school friends dropped out of school to start working and purchased a red 56 Bel-Air convert and loaded it up with all the best looking girls.

It doesn't get much better than this! "Quality, not Quantity"

I hope that these cars will be properly restored and that the work will be posted for all of us to share and enjoy and drool over.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 14:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post

The XK and The Bel-Air belong to Mr.Rajiv Kher. Both these cars will be on display at the Auto Expo -2010.

Wow have they been resored after these pics have been taken?Would love to see these cars.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 15:08   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Wow have they been resored after these pics have been taken? Would love to see these cars.
Hi Indrojit,
Since you love to see the 120 restored, please go to the Cartier thread and look for a white XK 120 MFA registered. Hope your thirst would be quenched atleast partially!

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2009, 15:14   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Indrojit,
Since you love to see the 120 restored, please go to the Cartier thread and look for a white XK 120 MFA registered. Hope your thirst would be quenched atleast partially!

Cheers harit

Thank you sir for helping this thirsty little enthusiast.I hope we can all help the vinatge car hungry fellows.Cheers.
Old 30th December 2009, 20:39   #21
BHPian

There was a beautiful Chevy bellair in double color which belonged to a hotel owner in thiruvananthapuram .I had seen it long ago when I came to attend a function at this particular hotel. The owners house was in the same property and on the porch lay this car.Is it still there ?
kishorelal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 13:35   #22
BHPian

Default The Bentley 4 1/4

khanak,

I am curious about the Bentley 4 1/4. Any details about it if you please?

Harit, IndroJit,DKG,karlos,

Are there any Bentley specific threads in t-bhp, especially the Bentleys made by WO, as below?

1921–29 3-litre
1926–30 4½-litre & "Blower Bentley"
1926–30 6½-litre
1928–30 6½-litre Speed Six
1930–31 8-litre
1931 4-litre
------------------------------------

Do we have some of these in India? If so are their lives in India( imported to India, driven, possibly multiple ownerships and so on...) documented?

I am enamoured of these pre-RR Bentleys as they exemplified the design philosophy of WO as sporty, rugged and reliable modes of fast transport ( in the words of Ettore Bugatti,although this might be apocryphal " the fastest lorries of Europe").

In an aside, I am copying some information on the Bentley 3 1/2 and its successor the 4 1/4, for your reference ( all copyrights acknowledged) :

The 3½ Litre (and later 4¼ Litre) was presented to the public in September 1933, shortly after the death of Henry Royce, and was the first new Bentley model following Rolls-Royce's acquisition of the Bentley brand in 1931. This era of Bentley models are also known as "Derby Bentleys" because they were built in the Rolls-Royce factory located in Derby, England.

From the outset, the car was intended to compete on quality and grace rather than sporting reputation which had been the cornerstone of the pre-1931 Bentley company. The cars retained the famous curved radiator shape based on earlier Bentley models, but in all meaningful respects they were clearly Rolls-Royces. Although disappointing some traditional customers, they were well received by many others and even W.O. Bentley himself was reported as saying that he would "rather own this Bentley than any other car produced under that name." The Rolls-Royce Engineer in charge of the development project, Ernest Hives (later Lord Hives), underlined the Rolls-Royce modus operandus in a memo addressed to company staff "our recommendation is that we should make the car as good as we know how and then charge accordingly." At a time when the Ford 8 could be purchased new for £100, an early Bentley 3½ Litre cost around £1,500 (equivalent to £5.09 thousand vs. £76.3 thousand today), putting it beyond the reach of all but the wealthiest consumers. Despite not being a car of remarkable outright performance, the car's unique blend of style and grace proved popular with the inter-war elite and it became known as the "silent sports car." Over 70% of the cars built between 1933 and 1939 were said to have still been in existence 70 years later.

The 3 1/2 Litre

Based on an experimental Rolls-Royce project "Peregrine" which was to have had a supercharged 2¾ L engine, the 3½ Litre was finally fitted with a less adventurous engine developed from Rolls' straight-6 fitted to the Rolls-Royce 20/25. The Bentley variant featured a higher compression ratio, sportier camshaft profile and two SU carburettors on a crossflow cylinder head. Actual power output was roughly 110 bhp (82 kW) at 4500 rpm, allowing the car to reach 90 mph (145 km/h). The engine displaced 3.7 L (3669 cc/223 in³) with a 3¼ in (82.5 mm) bore and 4½ in (114.3 mm) stroke.
A 4-speed manual transmission with synchromesh on 3rd and 4th, 4-wheel leaf spring suspension, and 4-wheel servo-assisted mechanical brakes were all common with other Rolls-Royce models. The chassis was manufactured from nickel steel, and featured a "double-dropped" layout to gain vertical space for the axles and thus keep the cars' profile low. The strong chassis needed no diagonal cross-bracing, and was very light in comparison to the chassis built by its contemporary competitors, weighing in at 2,510 pounds (1,140 kg) in driveable form ready for delivery to the customer's chosen coachbuilder.
1177 3½ Litre cars were built, with about half of them being bodied by Park Ward, with the remainder "dressed" by other well known coachbuilders like Barker, Freestone & Webb, Gurney Nutting, Hooper, Mann Egerton, Mulliner (both A and HJ), Rippon, Thrupp & Maberly, James Young, Vanden Plas and Windovers in England; Figoni, Kellner, Saoutchik and Vanvooren in Paris; and smaller concerns elsewhere in UK and Europe.
A drophead 3½ Litre was featured in the 1963 movie From Russia with Love.

The 4 1/4 Litre

Beginning in March, 1936, a 4¼ Litre version of the car was offered as replacement for the 3½ Litre, in order to offset the increasing weight of coachwork and maintain the car's sporting image in the face of stiff competition. The engine was bored to 3½ in (88.9 mm) for a total of 4.3 L (4257 cc/259 in³). From 1938 the MR and MX series cars featured Marles steering and an overdrive gearbox. The model was replaced in 1939 by the MkV.
1234 4¼ Litre cars were built, with Park Ward remaining the most popular coachbuilder. Many cars were bodied in steel rather than the previous, more expensive, aluminium over ash frame construction.
A Drophead 4¼ Litre was featured as James Bond's car in the 1983 movie Never Say Never Again.

Famous first owners

Woolf Barnato, racing driver & former Bentley chairman (B121AE, B2DG, B6GA, B121GP)
Prince Bira, racing driver (B29GP)
Sir Malcolm Campbell, nine times World Land Speed Record holder (B141AE, B206GA, B22GA)
Billy Cotton, bandleader (B125DG)
George Eyston, three time World Land Speed Record holder (B24DG, B82GA)
E.R. Hall, racing driver and winter olympian (B35AE, B106GA, B216GA)
Raymond Mays, racing driver (B125DG, B24GA, B144LS)
Robert Montgomery, actor (B63DK)
Bernard Rubin, racing driver (B109CW)

Experts please vet the details here.

Attaching two photographs of the 4 1/4.

Regards
Attached Images

issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2009, 21:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
khanak,

I am curious about the Bentley 4 1/4. Any details about it if you please?

Harit, IndroJit,DKG,karlos,

Are there any Bentley specific threads in t-bhp, especially the Bentleys made by WO, as below?

1921–29 3-litre
1926–30 4½-litre & "Blower Bentley"
1926–30 6½-litre
1928–30 6½-litre Speed Six
1930–31 8-litre
1931 4-litre
------------------------------------

Do we have some of these in India? If so are their lives in India( imported to India, driven, possibly multiple ownerships and so on...) documented?

I am enamoured of these pre-RR Bentleys as they exemplified the design philosophy of WO as sporty, rugged and reliable modes of fast transport ( in the words of Ettore Bugatti,although this might be apocryphal " the fastest lorries of Europe").

In an aside, I am copying some information on the Bentley 3 1/2 and its successor the 4 1/4, for your reference ( all copyrights acknowledged) :

Hi issigonis,

We do have to bentley specific thread currently on team-bhp.One is dedicated to WO Bentleys and the other one is for other Vintage and classic bentleys.The WO Bentley thread consists of details provided by karlos which include engine and chassis number details.

The link to the WO bentleys thread is - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...il-1931-a.html

The link to the Bentleys in india thread is- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...eys-india.html

Hopre the info helped

Happy New Year

Regards
Old 1st January 2010, 10:25   #24
Team-BHP Support

Happy new year all.

This gorgeous Bentley is not a 4 1/4, but a Mk VI

It was made in July 1951, Chassis #B171KL, Engine B185K, coachwork Park Ward Drop Head Coupe 1st owner Maharajah of Darbhanga.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote