| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|26th February 2009, 00:18||#48|
Here's some of Shashi Kanoria's Jems
Shashi Kanoria has long been an Old Car enthusiast from the late 60's and has some wonderful cars meticulously restored in his collection. He is a hands on restorer with an eye and experience that few that I have met possess.
Even though I had posted some of these photos in a smaller format I felt you would like to see them up close and personal.
The first is his 1919 Citron, love that color! He also has a very rare 1906 Renault that he usually brings to the Tolly.
|26th February 2009, 00:53||#50|
Last but not least, a 1949 MG - TC
This is Shashi's son Shrivardhan's favorite Car who he worked with his dad to restore along with their many other Magnificent Cars!
P.S. The slots on the screws on the GB emblem could be lined up a little better!
|26th February 2009, 01:03||#51|
And Finally the King and Consort of the Tolly Club Car & Pet Show
Mr. G. Momen's absolutely Magnificently matched Rolls Royce and Bentley, a privilage and honor to have them grace the field.
Thank you so very much from all of us!
Last edited by john a milne : 26th February 2009 at 01:13. Reason: typo
|26th February 2009, 01:21||#52|
A here is The King of the Show -
The Stately, Majestic, Elegant, and totally Awesome !937 Rolls Royce that I have heard about from so many people but never seen before.
I wish I had a history of it and am sure someone can fill me in.
|26th February 2009, 09:21||#53|
The Last Page -
I have finally been able to post all my Photos of this Classy Event and offer my congratulations to the Tollygunge Club who hosted it and Interkrafts for sponsoring it.
Here are some of my favorite shots that bring back memories of a Day well spent. I see I missed two cars and a few overall shots of the event grounds, and many of the wonderful pets, but there is always next year.
-The Tolly Club, an oasis of tranquility in the heart of Calcutta.
-The festive enclave to showcase Pets & cars.
-The hospitality and sumptuous food and drinks.
-This was the first event that I brought my newly restored Fiat to. As my father used to say, "It's not just quantity but quality that counts"
-The Majestic Rolls & Bentley that set the standards for impeccably restored cars.
-The diversity of vehicles.
-And the families of Jackals that have roamed this gated oasis, secure and very much part of the spirit of this event. while not participating in the Pet Show, a reminder of our responsibility to protect and preserve our heritage, Wild Life and Cars Alike!
|26th February 2009, 10:52||#56|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Thanked: 373 Times
Way to go John.
This is how an event needs to be documented, each car needs to be documented with as many details as possible. Let this be an example for otheres to follow in events to come.
The stars of the show would undoubtedly be the Momen and the Ghosh Cars. Absolutely amazing.
The Momen cars, absolutely fantastic with pedigree to match.
The Kanoria TC looks great but by putting straps on the hood the car doesn't become a Brookelands.
The 25 Ford is actually a 1930 Model A Phaeton pretty good but with some errors like the painted bumpers and the windscreen frame
Love the "Fiat Tipu ". Never knew Fiat made cars during Tipu Sultan's times and to have one named after the Sultan absolutely amazing stuff.
Your Fiat looks ravishing. Is the white strip on the sides original or a period touch. Paint finish looks great though.
What is the deal about the 61 Austin Super Sport. What chassis and engine combo is this creation using. The fron suspension looks quiet modern.
The 38 Adler is actually the Adler Trumpf Junior. Used to have a similar car in Hyd. A technical marvel with front wheel drive and indipendant suspension. They need to have the hub caps chromed though and paint the headlamp housings and mounts.
Did you by any chance see what kind of fan belt the Adler was using.As the belt is driven off a pulley between the engine and gearbox the belt has to be a type that can be opened up, threaded around the pulley and fastned again.
The Ghosh cars looked great but as you said he needs to cut down on his club badge displays on all his cars.
Very unusual bumpes on the Auburn. Original ?
The 38 SS Jaguar 1.5 actually looks like a 2.5 Tourer. Is the engine a four or six cylinder ? The 1.5 four only came as a Drophead Coupe and the four seat tourers were either 3.5 of 2.5 sixes.
On the whole a marvelous display.
|26th February 2009, 20:21||#57|
1. The TC started out as a reasonable car that he picked up two years ago and did it up thoroughly. Shashi does push the envelope a little at times and I have been encouraging to follow the motto "less is more". While it didn't start off as a Brooklands it does look outstanding. the extra wheel on the back is nice touch to my eyes.
2. The ford is a 1929 as the rad shell is plain, in 30 they added an recessed detail to it. back in the mid 60's my brother and I had one 29 coupe and 3 sedans. Lots of stories to tell.
3. The fiat is one of my most favorite cars ever, except the paint job. Some day want to do some research on it.
4. The Deluxe trim on the fiat was standard on the Deluxe model marketed on the Continent. I have the Italian Owners Instruction Book which shows the deluxe in some detail and plan on scanning and posting it. It had a different interior upholstery and came with carpets.
The original owner must have brought in the trim and one piece grill which I understand was not available here. Still doing some research on the deluxe Model and have down loaded only 3 images which I will try and add.
I am restoring it to the Italian Specs as much as possible.
5. First time I saw the Austin sports and didn't have a chance to talk to the owner. Sweet little thing but with that road clearance not very practicable on the streets of calcutta.
6. The Alder is a car that I am not familiar with but it does have the look. If you want more detailed info on it you could email Mr Dey at "firstname.lastname@example.org" Great family.
7. Every one in calcutta is loaded up on them, "monkey see, monkey do".
8. Not sure about the bumpers. It was a major, major restoration and I have seen similar tubular bumpers.
9. the SS started out in life as a sedan in very rough shape and was in the very early stages of transformation to match another SS1 of Shashi Kanoria when he sold it off about 10+ years back. It was picked up by Partha about 4 years ago with the raw body shell, with most of the running gear minus the steering wheel assembly. Not much to work with. I send him photos of a friends 37 SS-1 that had been the JCNA - N.A. National Class Champion in the early 2000s with a 99.95 pt average. There are lots of incorrect items on it, but all said and done, it is a remarkable attempt and exceptionally well presented. It is a 6.
It has taken considerable time to learn how to use my new Macbook and post the photos I have taken. Worth every minute to be able to share all this with the FAMILY.
|3rd March 2009, 02:43||#58|
Join Date: Feb 2004
Thanked: 25,043 Times
Note from Mod : A few posts from this thread have been split in into a separate discussion here > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ers-india.html
|21st March 2009, 17:20||#59|
I had the opportunity of checking out their 1938 Dodge Ambulance that had been purchased new. I understand it was running up until about 5 years ago and was used in the Movie "The City of Joy". Must rent a DVD of the movie and check it out on the big screen.
There have been a number of efforts over the years to have it restored and I think that this will be the year. They are going to have some of the Restoration Shops here in Calcutta look at it and give a quote. Time will tell!
I will create a separate thread with more photos to follow the restoration.
If you have any questions i would suggest you email Sudip Dhara - email@example.com as he seems the best hands on person at the Tolly Club.
|21st March 2009, 17:36||#60|
Join Date: Jul 2006
Thanked: 8,906 Times
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Club NM - Supercar Club from Delhi||A.K||Super-Cars & Imports in India||10||24th August 2015 08:21|
|Tolly Car Show 2012||IndrojitSircar||Vintage Cars & Classics in India||38||27th January 2012 10:02|
|"Kolkata - Leh - Kolkata * Interested Kolkata TBHP Members.||Captdey||Route / Travel Queries||17||17th May 2010 23:48|
|Calcutta-Tolly Pet & Car Show-2010||john a milne||Vintage Cars & Classics in India||54||19th January 2010 22:42|