Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2009, 17:51   #61
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
It looks remarkably complete and intact, hopefully should not be a big effort to restore. Out of curiousity, why did the Tollygunge club buy an ambulance? Did they also run a clinic or nursing home at the premises?
I assume that being in the south end of the city it was prudent to have their own ambulance on site. You might want to email Sudip.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2009, 19:17   #62
sat
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Rajasthan..
Posts: 139
Thanked: 59 Times
Default tolly ambulance..

Quote:
It looks remarkably complete and intact, hopefully should not be a big effort to restore. Out of curiousity, why did the Tollygunge club buy an ambulance? Did they also run a clinic or nursing home at the premises?
I would be at tollygunge club every weekend in the 70's & early 80's, have wonderfull memories of the club. Got ticked of by the late Bob Wright for racing down the tracks... one learned how to drive at the club.
Tolly used to have gymkhana racing. I recollect a white ambulance use to drive along the racetrack when the horses would gallop to the finish, this was in the 70's.


john,

thanks for posting, lovely photographs.

sat
sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2009, 17:40   #63
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

I had the opportunity of meeting Gautam Mukherjee today, who I have a thread on as a Calcutta Collector/Restorer, and in conversation found out that as a member of the Tolly Club, he was responsible for starting the Tolly Car Show nine years ago.

He invited me to his works to see some cars under restoration and hopefully I will be able to take lots of photos of his 7 cars that have been restored.

He showed me a photo of his car that started it all, forget the make and year, that he had purchased for under R1,000. those were the good old days.

From my conversation most of them were in extremely deteriorated condition, fortunately he has taken photos during their restoration which he indicated he will scan for posting.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:54   #64
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,625
Thanked: 8,067 Times
Default

A 1957 Dodge Kingsway apparently still owned by the Calcutta police.

Name:  police.JPG
Views: 1788
Size:  39.4 KB

GNR_1913 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

John and others, any more details/pictures?
karlosdeville is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:03   #65
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A 1957 Dodge Kingsway apparently still owned by the Calcutta police.

Attachment 214428

GNR_1913 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

John and others, any more details/pictures?
This was the first time I saw the Kingsway at any shows, very well restored but don't know who did it. I have another photos but will have to reduce it to post.
Attached Images
 
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:09   #66
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 956
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Where is Mr. Momen's RR Corniche II ( fixed head)?

John,

Apologies for raising an off topic subject ( please see my post in the exotics and supercars of Calcutta thread, <label is a bit awry>).

I am curious to know the whereabouts of the black coloured RR Corniche II ( year of manufacture possibly 1979) owned by Mr. Momen earlier?
If you have any details please share - hope it is still around in the country.

Regards
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:15   #67
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
This was the first time I saw the Kingsway at any shows, very well restored but don't know who did it. I have another photos but will have to reduce it to post.
Here's the other photo.
Attached Images
 
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:17   #68
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
John,

Apologies for raising an off topic subject ( please see my post in the exotics and supercars of Calcutta thread, <label is a bit awry>).

I am curious to know the whereabouts of the black coloured RR Corniche II ( year of manufacture possibly 1979) owned by Mr. Momen earlier?
If you have any details please share - hope it is still around in the country.

Regards
I don't recall ever seeing it. I understand there are a lot of great cars around Calcutta that seldom are shown. Hopefully some else will be able to let you know.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:04   #69
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 707 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A 1957 Dodge Kingsway apparently still owned by the Calcutta police.

Attachment 214428

GNR_1913 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

John and others, any more details/pictures?
What a coincidence we used to on a 1954 Dodge Kingsway too..that too a Police model however it had a Round boot and no fins. It was black and registration number was BML 1544
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:50   #70
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
What a coincidence we used to on a 1954 Dodge Kingsway too..that too a Police model however it had a Round boot and no fins. It was black and registration number was BML 1544
There was actually a seperate "Police" model ?

What was different on it compared to a regular Kingsway
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 09:53   #71
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,625
Thanked: 8,067 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
What a coincidence we used to on a 1954 Dodge Kingsway too..that too a Police model however it had a Round boot and no fins. It was black and registration number was BML 1544
Arrey Amol - earlier you have mentioned the regn as BML 5422 - please confirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There was actually a seperate "Police" model ?

What was different on it compared to a regular Kingsway
It would probably have been a Police disposal car - i.e. bought from the Police through auction/tender. Maybe for the Police they fitted a few accessories.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 19:11   #72
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

What thats all. Just a few bells and whistles.

No huge V8 "interseptor" engine ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 20:33   #73
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There was actually a seperate "Police" model ?

What was different on it compared to a regular Kingsway
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

It would probably have been a Police disposal car - i.e. bought from the Police through auction/tender. Maybe for the Police they fitted a few accessories.


Well i think it would be some thing like what wasif said about them being the cars of that time with extra things like the siren light on the top possibley something like what we have now in different states used by the police.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 20:43   #74
Senior - BHPian
 
amit V8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: kolkata
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 189 Times
Default

i don't have much gyan about classics, but that siren bulb looks like a current one. was it available back then??

there was taxi version available which i saw in some old movies. this looks like an officer's car if not a fake one.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 21:31   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
i don't have much gyan about classics, but that siren bulb looks like a current one. was it available back then??
Well there is a possibility of it being changed recently.

Quote:
there was taxi version available which i saw in some old movies. this looks like an officer's car if not a fake one.
Well i think its like the Ambassadors.You would find them as cabs mostly in Calcutta and a few in Delhi and other places, they are used as private cars and also used by the Police.The Police cars had some more accesories i would think and the taxi would have the meter extra.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Club NM - Supercar Club from Delhi A.K Super-Cars & Imports in India 10 24th August 2015 08:21
Tolly Car Show 2012 IndrojitSircar Vintage Cars & Classics in India 38 27th January 2012 10:02
"Kolkata - Leh - Kolkata * Interested Kolkata TBHP Members. Captdey Route / Travel Queries 17 17th May 2010 23:48
Calcutta-Tolly Pet & Car Show-2010 john a milne Vintage Cars & Classics in India 54 19th January 2010 22:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks