Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 4th February 2009, 19:01   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The had seen the car when it was lying at the customs. Was a kid back then but knew that this is a car worth something. The only place i had ever seen a Maser was in the Yearly guide to cars which still comes out, which i still buy.

The head was missing, and the car sported ambassador rims. Still "the other person" bid in full "khunnass" and got the car which frustrated the original owner who had thought that by carrying on the said improvisations, he would get the car at a steal from the customs auction. Who else would bid for the car. How wrong he was.

I remember seeing the car in a Kingfisher Red also in a few rallys in the very recent past but the posted pics look more like a metallic rust...or is it the lighting??
Sorry, I stand corrected. This is the customs episode car, not the Ghibli ex - Gondal I was talking about.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 19:32   #17
Team-BHP Support

The Ghibli used to run in Bangalore but in poor condition. The body work was not complete, trim missing. This is in the early '80's
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 10:08   #18
Senior - BHPian

As far as i am aware the cars with Mallya were a Merak and an Indy.

I dont think there ever was a Ghibli with him or in India at any time.

If anyone has pictures we can look into this but i am sure there never was a Ghibli in India.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 10:43   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
As far as i am aware the cars with Mallya were a Merak and an Indy.

I dont think there ever was a Ghibli with him or in India at any time.

If anyone has pictures we can look into this but i am sure there never was a Ghibli in India.
I think that you are right, indeed it was an Indy. Many years ago if I remember correctly this car was pictured in a car magazine, photographed on the sea front near the gateway in Mumbai. Perhaps someone could request Gondal for confirmation of model and pic?
Old 5th February 2009, 10:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Harit I saw the car and they are matiz mirror I am not sure why you are disregarding that fact and "saying cool it" nothing I have posted is intense or else the moderator would have edited it. I know you are an authority on classic cars but I would refrain from giving unsolicted advice. The fact remains that it is not something you would do if you had that car would you? Even if it was a temperory measure, car collectors at some point have to make do with stopgap parts but those mirrors look like two dangling earings gone up as if the car was eletrocuted they look to tall for the greenhouse go see it since you can't seem to tell the what mirrors they are.

By the way those mirrors are infamous/popularly used on many cars in the wierd and whacky mods jobs section here many have put them when doing such jobs which is why they are called wierd and whacky!

Last edited by canonball : 5th February 2009 at 10:56.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 11:29   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Harit I saw the car and they are matiz mirror I am not sure why you are disregarding that fact and "saying cool it" nothing I have posted is intense or else the moderator would have edited it. I know you are an authority on classic cars but I would refrain from giving unsolicted advice. The fact remains that it is not something you would do if you had that car would you? Even if it was a temperory measure, car collectors at some point have to make do with stopgap parts but those mirrors look like two dangling earings gone up as if the car was eletrocuted they look to tall for the greenhouse go see it since you can't seem to tell the what mirrors they are.

By the way those mirrors are infamous/popularly used on many cars in the wierd and whacky mods jobs section here many have put them when doing such jobs which is why they are called wierd and whacky!
Ah, I am learning every day, now something about posting. "Cool it" was not for you, it was for the inference of "bashing" which I thought was an acusation not made correctly and I may have reacted to that if it had been addressed to me. That is why "cool it". Now I realise that that post should also have been put in the quote.
And it is so good that one can have a dialogue and explain what was meant when one feels slighted, which from my side will never be intentional.
I also now understand why these mirrors caught your eye so fast, it is because of the weird and whacky section which I have not yet visited. That is because time is limited.
And I do not consider myself as an authority, really I am not modest. An authority has to be more conscious, should not make errors as I did on the Maserati. These errors come about because it was from memory, followed by a mix up. The correct way for me would have been to lookup and check up data and then post. So on few occasions I just shoot of a reply in haste, and many times I also need to be corrected. No authority will behave like this.
I hope I explained and no hard feelings.
BTW, you are in Mumbai and pass very close to my office, because the place where the Maser is is very near. I would be obliged if you could help me by coming by and show me how to upload. I could not get the hang of it, my uploaded pics are too small and I have lots to upload.

Last edited by harit : 5th February 2009 at 11:37.
Old 5th February 2009, 11:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

sure harit just got ur PM will surely call you have heard so much of you from a dear common friend .

Would be delighted to give you a hand provided you show me your collection

Last edited by canonball : 5th February 2009 at 12:03.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 15:31   #23

Lightbulb Maserati Merak in India

Hello everyone,

First a little introduction about us, we are a group of dedicated enthusiasts of the Maserati Merak. We have set up a group site and a Registry.

Our goal is to find and document all the Meraks around the world and so far we have already found around 400 cars (140 of them with photos!) out of the total of 1817 cars produced. We still have a long way to go.

I am here to ask for your help, because we found an old thread (here (Maserati Merak not accurately restored!)) which talks about a Merak in India.

We would like to find the VIN (chassis number) of this car. We are not interested in the owners details, just the VIN.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

PS:
Our Registry is located here: http://www.merak-registry.com, which contains lots of interesting information about the production of the Merak (VIN data, production numbers, etc).
MaseratiFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 19:57   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maserati Merak in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseratiFan View Post
Hello everyone,

First a little introduction about us, we are a group of dedicated enthusiasts of the Maserati Merak. We have set up a group site and a Registry.

Our goal is to find and document all the Meraks around the world and so far we have already found around 400 cars (140 of them with photos!) out of the total of 1817 cars produced. We still have a long way to go.

I am here to ask for your help, because we found an old thread (here (Maserati Merak not accurately restored!)) which talks about a Merak in India.

We would like to find the VIN (chassis number) of this car. We are not interested in the owners details, just the VIN.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you!

PS:
Our Registry is located here: http://www.merak-registry.com, which contains lots of interesting information about the production of the Merak (VIN data, production numbers, etc).
Ther is one Merak in India and it belongs to Dr. Vijay Mallya the chairman of the UB Group and Kingfisher airlines. It would be best if you try to contact him for the VIN numbers

He has a website dedicated to his collection but unfortunately there is no mention of The Merak, possibly because it is in India while the cars detailed on his website are in California.

He also has a Maserati Indi too which is also in India

Link to his website is below

http://www.mallyacollection.com/mall...ion=collection
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2013, 21:30   #25

Default Re: Maserati Merak not accurately restored!

Thank you for the quick reply, I've sent them an email.
MaseratiFan is offline   Reply With Quote