Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 11:50   #31
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

I am amazed at the rides of Powertwin and Dussey, especially your Triumph 3H sir. TN has a lot of vintage rides still running around in pristine condition. I was just riding through Comibatore and I spotted a Triumph tiger cub, Triumph Speed Twin, an early Royal Enfield Bullet -- the one which comes with magneto, two Willys and even a Matchless... all in one day!!!
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 18:43   #32
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 634
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Unfortunately 2002 Royal Enfield Bullet ain't no Brit. It is 100% Desi!!!
Yes Leepower,

But, just for example, what do you call an Indian living in England for 50yrs?
Yes ofcourse, he will still be an INDIAN.
so the same thing goes with Bullets. Even though made here, they still very much remain BRITISH.
And REML is trying to bring the charm back by the Classic model except for the powerplant. Its justified but, as there will be hardly any buyer if they introduce the same technology with these looks.
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 21:48   #33
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Yes Leepower,

But, just for example, what do you call an Indian living in England for 50yrs?
Yes ofcourse, he will still be an INDIAN.
so the same thing goes with Bullets. Even though made here, they still very much remain BRITISH.
And REML is trying to bring the charm back by the Classic model except for the powerplant. Its justified but, as there will be hardly any buyer if they introduce the same technology with these looks.

Indian living in England and still not a British citizen would be called stupid!!!
Boss even I own a Bullet, that too a 1978 Bull, but she ain't a Brit. She is 100% desi.
If we go by your argument then all the Hero Hondas, Yamaha RX 100s, even my Suzuki Heat would be videshis!!!
The one reason why everyone is crazy about a 'Brit' Royal Enfield (pre-1969, correct me if I am wrong) is not just the vintage value, but also build-quality. A friend owns a 1963 Bullet. It was given to him by his dad, who got it from his dad. The bike doesn't even have a single rust spot. In 2011, I cancelled my Classic 500 booking, after finding rust spots on bikes which were kept for delivery at Pune showroom. Other reason for cancelling the bike was horror stories about how unreliable the modern bike was with the electronic fuel injection, sprang clutch. Sure RE got British technology, but over time Royal Enfield which churns out 'Brits' from Madras lost it and starts making unreliable machines which are mass produced, but lack quality and refinement of the old British models.

Last edited by Leepower : 15th July 2011 at 21:58.
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 09:23   #34
BHPian
 
KkVaidya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 634
Thanked: 253 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
The one reason why everyone is crazy about a 'Brit' Royal Enfield (pre-1969, correct me if I am wrong) is not just the vintage value, but also build-quality. A friend owns a 1963 Bullet. It was given to him by his dad, who got it from his dad. The bike doesn't even have a single rust spot. .
Yes that's one thing that we envy. Maybe we Indians should learn something about "Build Quality" from 'Videshis'.

The story of your friend's 1963 Bullet seems very interesting. Such a glory cylce he owns-i know how precious it must be to him. Even my dad used to ride a Bullet (1973 model-not british but surely with the heavy crank).
But he sold it when i was 2yrs old! If i could have convinced him--
KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 14:55   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Chennai, India
Posts: 243
Thanked: 74 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Indian living in England and still not a British citizen would be called stupid!!!
Boss even I own a Bullet, that too a 1978 Bull, but she ain't a Brit. She is 100% desi.
If we go by your argument then all the Hero Hondas, Yamaha RX 100s, even my Suzuki Heat would be videshis!!!
.
Citizenship is one thing and the basic character/genes is another. I would say the Bullet may have become Indian by citizenship but still remains largely British by nature/genes.
vivriti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 15:17   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Yes that's one thing that we envy. Maybe we Indians should learn something about "Build Quality" from 'Videshis'. The story of your friend's 1963 Bullet seems very interesting. Such a glory cylce he owns-i know how precious it must be to him. Even my dad used to ride a Bullet (1973 model-not british but surely with the heavy crank).
But he sold it when i was 2yrs old! If i could have convinced him--
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivriti View Post
Citizenship is one thing and the basic character/genes is another. I would say the Bullet may have become Indian by citizenship but still remains largely British by nature/genes.
Interesting. What would you consider an Ambassador to be? They did change the name, but kept on using the same old tooling leading to unreliability and bad finish. My take is that todays Bullets, just like the Amby are Indian, British only from the origin point of view.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 15:54   #37
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
I am amazed at the rides of Powertwin and Dussey, especially your Triumph 3H sir. TN has a lot of vintage rides still running around in pristine condition. I was just riding through Comibatore and I spotted a Triumph tiger cub, Triumph Speed Twin, an early Royal Enfield Bullet -- the one which comes with magneto, two Willys and even a Matchless... all in one day!!!
You are right, there are still quite a few bikes here in Tamil Nadu . Yet another bike is getting restored by me, its a '52, BSA C-11, 250cc in final stages. Perhaps in a month or two, you can see pics posted.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 18:55   #38
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
You are right, there are still quite a few bikes here in Tamil Nadu . Yet another bike is getting restored by me, its a '52, BSA C-11, 250cc in final stages. Perhaps in a month or two, you can see pics posted.
Just Amazing. How do you source parts for your beauties sir??? Next time I am in Chennai, will surely come and see you collection (if you let me) sir.
Regards,
Sam
Leepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 14:23   #39
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Just Amazing. How do you source parts for your beauties sir??? Next time I am in Chennai, will surely come and see you collection (if you let me) sir.
Regards,
Sam
It sure will be a pleasure . You can also see my Scale Model collection of around 350. Please see some pics in the link given in my profile page.
Dussey is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 19:12   #40
BHPian
 
Leepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Maharashtra
Posts: 366
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
It sure will be a pleasure . You can also see my Scale Model collection of around 350. Please see some pics in the link given in my profile page.

Thank you sir. You garage is like J Leno's garage. It shows how passionate you are about your cars and bikes.
Sir I have a query. How do you prevent these beauties from getting rusted in Chennai weather ie near sea, salt and humidity??? I live in Pune, even then it is a pain to keep my 74 Yezdi and 78 Bullet rust-free.
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 19:59   #41
BHPian
 
Dussey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 249
Thanked: 164 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leepower View Post
Thank you sir. You garage is like J Leno's garage. It shows how passionate you are about your cars and bikes.
Sir I have a query. How do you prevent these beauties from getting rusted in Chennai weather ie near sea, salt and humidity??? I live in Pune, even then it is a pain to keep my 74 Yezdi and 78 Bullet rust-free.
Thanks for your appreciation. Rust is certainly an issue here in Chennai, due to the high humidity levels and salt air, especially since I live close to the sea.
I intend having a dehumidifier installed in my garage display,and am hoping there will be some effect.
Dussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2015, 16:29   #42
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 13
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: AJS Motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dussey View Post
Lovely bike powertwin, high quality restoration !
Some pictures of my '46 AJS 16M 'Rigid' .
Dussey / Powertwin, just loved the restoration on both your bikes. I'm planning to restore mine but would require a few original parts which I'm trying to source. Any help would be appreciated from you both. I'm based in bangalore

brian - 9886101005
Brian Ammanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need some Advice on Restoring Classic Motorcycles (BSA, AJS etc) Pune_Bike Vintage Cars & Classics in India 27 6th July 2016 16:34
Norton, BSA & AJS Collection - A Write Up royalbull Post-War 24 5th May 2013 19:38
Car or Motorcycle - for long, cross country drives ? GS300 Street Experiences 20 21st May 2006 21:37
International Motorcycle Show- Detroit highwayblaze The International Automotive Scene 2 30th March 2005 00:54
The Motorcycle Diaries sbfx Shifting gears 6 14th February 2005 14:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:40.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks