Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 11th March 2009, 00:26   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Can someone please get me a Bentley for 5 lacs?
Good one DKG!

But while I may not be qualified enough to really comment on the likes of Bentleys etc., my mech. had recently checked out a Herald on my behalf as I was out of town. It was one of those owner-made "rickshaw-top" convertibles! Price quoted was 50k...he offered 15k, saying that we only need it for parts! The guy showing the car was shocked!

Maybe this article would convince him! Or atleast owner of another car that I would have in mind, offered for a far more exorbitant price!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 19:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

you can ask for the moon but the moot point is somebody willing to pay that!!!
formerly there were people to do that now the number of such people have dwindled
ajay99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 19:32   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
you can ask for the moon but the moot point is somebody willing to pay that!!!
formerly there were people to do that now the number of such people have dwindled
Even so, as harit had once pointed out, even with this recession, prices of really collectible cars are not going to plummet. Only of those that were not (unanimously) regarded as collectibles would tend to.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2009, 19:40   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Money supply is tight, so this was only natural. And temporary. I feel it would have only affected some deals and not the market as a whole. We all know how the press like to exaggerate things to make for a spicy story.

The situation is improving and vintage car prices will be back to where they were.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2009, 19:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Money supply is tight, so this was only natural. And temporary. I feel it would have only affected some deals and not the market as a whole. We all know how the press like to exaggerate things to make for a spicy story.

The situation is improving and vintage car prices will be back to where they were.

GTO,
You seem to be unhappy with the news that vintage prices are crashing!!.
Actually if prices dont crash, then how can new enthusiasts own classic/vintage cars.Moreover the situation is not going to improve soon!!
Actually the vintage prices are going to come down further post elections,especially if there is a fractured mandate comes.
Hope you dont give me an infraction for saying so
ajay99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 18:33   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Actually if prices dont crash, then how can new enthusiasts own classic/vintage cars.
And if vintage cars weren't high enough / a good investment, not too many would have been restored / taken care of in the first place!

Quote:
I'm glad that you enjoyed a laugh. But somehow, I don't see the humour in that statement.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 12:47   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
GTO,
You seem to be unhappy with the news that vintage prices are crashing!!.
Actually if prices dont crash, then how can new enthusiasts own classic/vintage cars.Moreover the situation is not going to improve soon!!
Actually the vintage prices are going to come down further post elections,especially if there is a fractured mandate comes.
Sorry, but some things are not clear to me.
Let me also ask, if price of gold does not crash, then how can we get our daughters married off. If fares do not crash, then how can I take my family for a trip abroad, if, if and if. For all such agendas, which include collecting cars, bikes, antiques, etc., you must have a plan and go about it systematically. So, for example for daughters marriage you start collecting/planning for gold well in advance. Or you give her education and hope that the quantum of gold required will be less.
In the recent years we have seen a lot of new enthusiasts entering the fray, and they bought cars because they had money. On the other hand there are new enthusiasts who do not have so much spare funds, they aquire down to earth cars. Down to earth in condition or desirability. And they will aquire cars even if the market does not crash. For example, if funds are limited, you buy a junk relatively cheap and slowly spend on restoration. You may even end up paying more than a fully restored car would have cost, but you get the chance to spend as able.
The vintage car market definitely follows a demand and supply circle, and there are collectors/users as well as investors. This happens in antiques, holiday homes, etc. So if the market crashes, investors may jump of, collectors will not.
In the end you have to cut the coat according to the cloth, spend and aquire as you can afford.
Some prices have come down in some markets, but all car prices have not come down all over India.
It is still more of a 1:1 scenario between the seller and the buyer.
But irrespective of the market conditions, now more and more cars are getting restored in India to better standards than ever. Just look at what is happening in Jaipur. Earlier there was just one place which turned out good cars, others could not retore a bicycle. Today they have many more places doing quality work.
So let us not get upset on prices and argue about this. Use your skill and negotiate your best deal.
Cheers
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2009, 12:55   #23
BHPian

Note: Post removed. Post it in Tata Nano thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 19th March 2009 at 13:00.
aka_iitd is offline   Reply With Quote