Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2010, 12:34   #196
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Could you please post soem pics of the Bhogilal 540K ....I have been asking for them from a while now but nobody seems to want to do this.

What is the history of that car ?
Possibly as nobody has the pics

The person who bought the car (and many others) on behalf of Bhogilal told me how he bought it. It was lying in an erstwhile princely state, but dieselised. The original engine was traced back to the home of one of the driver's, where his wife was washing clothes on the head etc etc. It was painstakingly reassembled and brought back to running condition. This was decades ago, I know nothing of what happened to it eventually.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 06:04   #197
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,978
Thanked: 4,286 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This thread seems to have quieted down. Kasli, please post the picture of the Daimler.
Here is a picture of the Seth Hukumchand "Gold Plated" Daimler in its prime

Name:  Hukumchand Daimler.jpg
Views: 1989
Size:  50.4 KB

Last edited by travancore : 18th June 2010 at 06:08.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 10:15   #198
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is a picture of the Seth Hukumchand "Gold Plated" Daimler in its prime

Attachment 369875
Handsome car !! The car looks a lot like the Town Car Dhanrajgirji had which was restored by Julian in Delhi.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 10:44   #199
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Possibly as nobody has the pics

The person who bought the car (and many others) on behalf of Bhogilal told me how he bought it. It was lying in an erstwhile princely state, but dieselised. The original engine was traced back to the home of one of the driver's, where his wife was washing clothes on the head etc etc. It was painstakingly reassembled and brought back to running condition. This was decades ago, I know nothing of what happened to it eventually.
The Raja who owned this 540K lived in Sterling Apartments on Peddar Road. This car was always parked in the basement. When the red number plates were abolished, it was tied to a pillar. At that time a friend was residing in that building and we saw the car a couple of times. Colour was cramish, yellowish brown, maybe two tone. On the grill they had fitted a Mercedes star with the word Diesel on the lower side. One fine day I saw Pranlal driving it, driving down Altamount Road. And I knew that he had bought her. Must have been for around 15K.
Then the gentleman Karl speaks about and his gang went to the palace and located the engine and parts. They also found the super charger. Unfortunately the car still suffers from mechanical problems and is lying at his home in a corner. If someone were to go there he would find it difficult to take pics. But the body is the plainest standard 540K ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Handsome car !! The car looks a lot like the Town Car Dhanrajgirji had which was restored by Julian in Delhi.
Would you agree to placing in top 10? Because of its gold finish. I was told that today the front axle is broken.

Now the Alwar Lanchester is pictured in the Maharaja Book on page 263. I do not want to scan in fear of upsetting anyone. Perhaps travancore has this picture also? An older picture, where car is in good shape, not in its present state.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2010, 12:27   #200
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

I would still dearly love to see pics of the car, in whatever conditionit is in how ! Which state did it belong to originally ?
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 17:06   #201
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 187
Thanked: 369 Times
Default

Dropped by the forum and unsuprisingly, this thread has now ground to a halt. It had built up a nice momentum while we tried to be as objective as possible.

Since the tone has changed the only cars that have been introduced have been an Alfa without an engine and a Daimler. With the engine, without doubt a top 10 car. Without it, I am afraid I don't think it is player at quite that level, as the other complete car's we have already discussed have more provenance in my opinion.

The Daimler is a special car, but whether it is top ten is debatable. Should we just add it to the objective lists found between pages 10 - 13 and then have a poll? Perhaps a top 20 instead of a top 10 to make things easier and to allow for multiple examples of a valuable car (e.g. 540 k and 8 Litres) and to keep everyone happy?

Will be interesting to see which car ends up being everyone's favourite and tugs on the heartstrings, regardless of price taking the thread from objective to subjective and full circle.

Last edited by Faster789 : 12th July 2010 at 17:09.
Faster789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 18:55   #202
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Sounds good but to make it real and accurate we need to compile actual pictures of the cars to enable people to see what they are voting on and then do it.

So could you please draw up a final list of the top 10 and another of the top 20 ????
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 19:26   #203
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 187
Thanked: 369 Times
Default

From what I can see, all the pictures available are already in the thread. If there is a lack of pictures, that is because no more are forthcoming.

I've already suggested my top empirical top ten, so I'd just suggest that again (posts 149 and 171). With reference to a further ten, I would just add the other cars mentioned on here.

There are only a few cars in the country that are truly world class, and those are already in most people's top ten.
Faster789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 21:46   #204
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 37
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Dropped by the forum and unsuprisingly, this thread has now ground to a halt. It had built up a nice momentum while we tried to be as objective as possible.

Since the tone has changed the only cars that have been introduced have been an Alfa without an engine and a Daimler. With the engine, without doubt a top 10 car. Without it, I am afraid I don't think it is player at quite that level, as the other complete car's we have already discussed have more provenance in my opinion.

The Daimler is a special car, but whether it is top ten is debatable. Should we just add it to the objective lists found between pages 10 - 13 and then have a poll? Perhaps a top 20 instead of a top 10 to make things easier and to allow for multiple examples of a valuable car (e.g. 540 k and 8 Litres) and to keep everyone happy?

Will be interesting to see which car ends up being everyone's favourite and tugs on the heartstrings, regardless of price taking the thread from objective to subjective and full circle.

There has been a lot of speculation, most of it amusing, about the ALFA SVZ, originality / modifications / engine, etc; Thought, as owner I'd finally put at rest all doubts. Between 1957-59, 19 brand new Alfa Giulietta Sprint Veloce cars were 're-bodied' by ZAGATO, light weight aluminium for racing, hence SVZ - but not all were double-bubble. The cars were very successful in racing, my SVZ (chassis 04249) having won it's class at the '59 Targa Florio. The original engine is safe & sound with me & the car will soon be restored to it's original glory. The history of this very special car is well documented in the book 'Giulietta Sprint Veloce Zagato' by Gino Giugno.
rdcm1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 00:31   #205
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 187
Thanked: 369 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcm1985 View Post
There has been a lot of speculation, most of it amusing, about the ALFA SVZ, originality / modifications / engine, etc; Thought, as owner I'd finally put at rest all doubts. Between 1957-59, 19 brand new Alfa Giulietta Sprint Veloce cars were 're-bodied' by ZAGATO, light weight aluminium for racing, hence SVZ - but not all were double-bubble. The cars were very successful in racing, my SVZ (chassis 04249) having won it's class at the '59 Targa Florio. The original engine is safe & sound with me & the car will soon be restored to it's original glory. The history of this very special car is well documented in the book 'Giulietta Sprint Veloce Zagato' by Gino Giugno.
The car I was referring to was the Gurney Nutting bodied Alfa 1750.

Yours is a nice car with a lovely piece of history and it's good to hear that it is soon to be restored to glory. However, returning to the substance of the thread my understanding is that it is not quite of the standard of some of the other cars on this thread. No offence meant, simply saying that it's not Silver Ghost.

I think you'll find most of the speculation and misinformation here amusing, I certainly do.

All the best with your restoration, it's a long road!
Faster789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 09:57   #206
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Those SUZ were not brand new when rebodied by Zagato....most were done after they were used for around an year or so ...including the one in Chennai.

Like its been pointed out that car deserves to be restored and I too hope it can be done soon along with that Lancia
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 12:28   #207
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,626
Thanked: 8,079 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
I think you'll find most of the speculation and misinformation here amusing, I certainly do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcm1985 View Post
There has been a lot of speculation, most of it amusing, about the ALFA SVZ, originality / modifications / engine, etc; Thought, as owner I'd finally put at rest all doubts.
There are as many stories as there are facts, and I do hope more owners like you take the trouble to explain some facts about your car.

Could you share some Indian history on your Alfa? How did she come to India etc?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 13:23   #208
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 1,889 Times
Default

One snap of the car in the eighties , pardon the snap and another in the late 90's with the doors as mentioned to me stolen. Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is a picture of the Seth Hukumchand "Gold Plated" Daimler in its prime

Attachment 369875
Attached Thumbnails
Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-img00034201007132333.jpg  

Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-img00035201007132333.jpg  

kasli is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 14:25   #209
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 496
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

how many 12 cylinder two seater sports cars left in india? :-)
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2010, 15:19   #210
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Does the V12 Auburn make a place for its self here in the top 10 ? Any pics of this car ?
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peugeot coming back to India *Update* Manufacturing facility to be located in Gujarat ph03n!x The Indian Car Scene 114 3rd November 2011 19:54
The 50 Best Post War Classics Located in India RollingArt Vintage Cars & Classics in India 12 19th July 2011 13:03
Original Japanese Hero Honda CD 100 - Collectible? newcoolgadgets Motorbikes 11 9th December 2008 00:54
the top ten pda's and smartphones devarshi84 Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 5th May 2006 03:25
Top Ten non-supercars of all time Revvmaster The International Automotive Scene 34 25th April 2005 13:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:58.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks