Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2009, 15:10   #31
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TractionAvant View Post
Napier was one of the formost British makers. They dominated the early Gordon Bennet races. In fact, if Rolls-Royce had not played dirty at the last minute, they would have ended up with the Bentley marque in 1931.

If I am not mistaken, they were the first to offer a six cylinder engine.

Aditya
Very true, they made the fastest car in the world way back in 1904 I think. Also as you say the first six cylinder. They most certainly were amongst the most exclusive offerings at the time, usually patronised by heads of state and royalty.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:12   #32
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Personally I think that there is no need for a rating system. We are just passing our time and discussing among ourself the 10 best cars. If we want to do it scientifcally, then our approach is anyway wrong.

6 cars listed by me are sure contenders, Karl's list has gone a bit too long.
DKG mentions an Alfa. There is a prime car, a 1750 in Indore but it is missing its engine. That is why I did not include it. But as we are not particular about current condition, I think that that should be added.

About the New Engine, it may even be unique in the world. But it is not a world beater. It is not an exciting car, or a milestone car.

And polling was not part of the plan. Who would be eligible? So an updated list.
We can discuss and remove/add as we go on.
About Rolls's, wheren't they a hipe anyway? (Fodder for a new topic)

Delahaye
Daimler Double Six
Lanchester Alwar ( I do not think it has left the country, Awini any info?)
Daimler Seth Hukumchand
Bentley Advocatus
Rolls Nizam Hyderabad
Alfa Romeo 1750 Indore
Minerva (Titus)
Lagonda Awini
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:17   #33
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
If we want to do it scientifcally, then our approach is anyway wrong.
Lets try and do it scientifically Harit. Can you suggest a different way to rate them? I know we are doing this for fun, but it just might be an eye opener. Just think about it. So many RR's are failing to make the list !!

Oh and BTW you just might see the values of these cars skyrocketing once we rate it scientifically

I forget what car it is but there is a Zagato bodied coupe in Madras which once raced a famous race (Targa Florio?)

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2009 at 15:23.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:42   #34
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Lets try and do it scientifically Harit. Can you suggest a different way to rate them? I know we are doing this for fun, but it just might be an eye opener. Just think about it. So many RR's are failing to make the list !!
Ahh, a typo. I meant HYPE for the Rolls's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Oh and BTW you just might see the values of these cars skyrocketing once we rate it scientifically
Sorry, but what authority are we to rate? And why do we want values to skyrocket? There is still a desire to buy reasonably priced cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I forget what car it is but there is a Zagato bodied coupe in Madras which once raced a famous race (Targa Florio?)
I think you are referring to the Alfa Romeo which is now lying in Bangalore, but owner is in Chennai. The car has lost its engine. And there is a modification made to the car many years ago, it is not fully original.
And yes, it could come on the list if we expand to say 25 cars.

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th March 2009 at 01:56. Reason: Edited to use quotes properly & removed all bold formatting.
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 15:53   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Its not about authority Harit. No one is a born authority. Just that if we do this scientifically it makes so much more sense and the thread would have great educational value

PS A suggestion to friends to please list cars with their correct nomenclature, for the benefit of readers. Bentley Advocatus or Lagonda Awini is convenient but can mislead people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
there is a modification made to the car many years ago, it is not fully original.
On that score both the 8 litre Bentleys have had their bodies altered, and also the 1912 RR of the Nizam

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2009 at 16:03.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:08   #36
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,620
Thanked: 8,041 Times
Default

I dont vote for scientifically analyzing and voting, it takes the fun out of it

All the points are eventually subjective, not so easy to assign a number.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:09   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I dont vote for scientifically analyzing and voting, it takes the fun out of it

All the points are eventually subjective, not so easy to assign a number.
Well if you poll that should be reflective of most people's view. Oh come on guys why the hesitation? This is like saying we don't need a scoring sheet at a concours. BTW you can never be 100 % objective, but surely some semblance of objectivity and rationale would be better than nothing

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2009 at 16:11.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:35   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 276 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I forget what car it is but there is a Zagato bodied coupe in Madras which once raced a famous race (Targa Florio?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I think you are referring to the Alfa Romeo which is now lying in Bangalore, but owner is in Chennai. The car has lost its engine. And there is a modification made to the car many years ago, it is not fully original.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
PS A suggestion to friends to please list cars with their correct nomenclature, for the benefit of readers. Bentley Advocatus or Lagonda Awini is convenient but can mislead people.
I was wondering when somebody would mention this car. A fine car, but as is quite commonly known, gone to the dogs. Pure vanadalism or other legal issues has put a shroud of mystery around the real story. Conspiracy and other theories abound, but mostly conjectures since I haven't heard any of conviction (about the real story i.e., not of the owners/custodians).

Anyway, is it an Alfa or a Lancia? I think I read that she has a special (aluminium? couldn't be fibreglass!) body, in which case should be a Lancia (if not an Alfa model) Appia Zagato or Flaminia Zagato, most probably the latter going by the value that was attributed to it in one of the write-ups I read many moons back.

Sorry OT, there used to be a beautiful silver-coloured Lancia Fulvia (not Zagato, just an 'ordinary' Fulvia) coupe in Delhi a few years ago. Wonder who's company she's in now.

And I loved these nomenclatures, thought we had some new coachbuilders amidst us.

Okay, back to the judges for choosing the Bo Dereks!

Last edited by Prabal : 12th March 2009 at 16:40. Reason: spelling of choosing!
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:37   #39
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Its not about authority Harit. No one is a born authority. Just that if we do this scientifically it makes so much more sense and the thread would have great educational value

PS A suggestion to friends to please list cars with their correct nomenclature, for the benefit of readers. Bentley Advocatus or Lagonda Awini is convenient but can mislead people.

On that score both the 8 litre Bentleys have had their bodies altered, and also the 1912 RR of the Nizam
Well I am enjoying this, even if not scientific.

There is a real reason for not naming the cars with correct nomenclature. The regulars on the forum will know what cars we are talking about, and those who are irregular should become regulars or suffer. ( Another smilie would be suitable here, but lets not over do that, the mods are watching).And those whose opinion will count anyway understand which car we are talking about!

I am sorry that you did not get the info about the body being modified correctly. We all know that Nizam's RR and the Bentley have modifications made to their bodies. But they would still figure in our list. But regarding the Alfa, the story is different. It was a rare car as it is, but there was even a rarer version. And this Alfa has been modified to this rarer version. I am not going to do R&D, but it is something like this. It is a Zagato, say SV or so. The rarer varsion was say ZSV, there the car was converted to this rarer version. I hope that someone will come up with the correct lettering. I hope that I could explain what I meant and the difference.

This is great, when this thread was started, I had forgotton about the Alwar Lanchester, Nizam's RR, and they were brought out by others. Maybe there are more such cars out there.
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:45   #40
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
is it an Alfa or a Lancia?
I checked with the owner, its a 1958 Alfa Romeo SVZ standing for Sprint Velocce Zagato. One of only 18-19 cars made. In 1959 it raced the Mille Miglia and sometime in the Targa Florio.

The car is indeed special.

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2009 at 16:47.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 16:48   #41
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

In my opinion making a list of the top ten most flamboyant and desireable cars still in India wouldn't be difficult.

Its not about which marque was more prestigious and whos cars were produced on a small scale. It point that would qualify a car for this list would be how it effects you visually, immotionally and with its technology.

There are cars and then there are cars like the Miura which are timelessly elegent and stir your emotions, like the Delahaye, theseare the cars that need to be on this list.

Please post pictures of these cars so people can look at them and add their opinions.

I would dearly love to know about the Caddy V16 listed as from the South, the Daimlers, the Advocatus Bentley and the 540 K which is mentioned as the earliest of its kind.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 17:46   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
I was wondering when somebody would mention this car. A fine car, but as is quite commonly known, gone to the dogs. Pure vanadalism or other legal issues has put a shroud of mystery around the real story. Conspiracy and other theories abound, but mostly conjectures since I haven't heard any of conviction (about the real story i.e., not of the owners/custodians).

Anyway, is it an Alfa or a Lancia? I think I read that she has a special (aluminium? couldn't be fibreglass!) body, in which case should be a Lancia (if not an Alfa model) Appia Zagato or Flaminia Zagato, most probably the latter going by the value that was attributed to it in one of the write-ups I read many moons back.

Sorry OT, there used to be a beautiful silver-coloured Lancia Fulvia (not Zagato, just an 'ordinary' Fulvia) coupe in Delhi a few years ago. Wonder who's company she's in now.

And I loved these nomenclatures, thought we had some new coachbuilders amidst us.

Okay, back to the judges for choosing the Bo Dereks!
Dear Prabal,

It is an Alfa. By chance the owner also has a valuable Lancia, lying at the same place and in bad shape, though the engine is there. So that may have lead to some confusion.
About the Alfa, whether it is an original SVZ, I have serious doubts. I am trying to find the story where it came out that she is modified to SVZ specs. Lets us see if I find it or if I am wrong. No problem with that, at least some answer will emerge and we will be wiser.

About nomenclature, sometimes articles are known by their owners, like Diamonds, Stradivarius violins etc. So a regular bhp'ian will know what is an Advocatus Bentley. If you see past threads, then you will come to a conclusion that me is having fun at the expense of....? And rubbing it in.

Cheers

Last edited by harit : 12th March 2009 at 17:47.
harit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 17:50   #43
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
If you see past threads, then you will come to a conclusion that me is having fun at the expense of....? And rubbing it in.
Man you are one heck of a mean guy

BTW why just cars if we were to make a list of India's top collectors you surely are the most colourful of them all !!!

Quote:
About nomenclature, sometimes articles are known by their owners, like Diamonds, Stradivarius violins etc
Surely with histories being manufactured and all kinds of alterations passed off as originals many Indian classics may be better off with this new nomenclature !

Last edited by DKG : 12th March 2009 at 17:54.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 19:20   #44
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Is this the Audvocatus Bentley ???

Please correct me if I am mistaken.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-dsc_0095a.jpg  

wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2009, 21:05   #45
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Is this the Audvocatus Bentley ???

Please correct me if I am mistaken.
No Wasif this is the 6 1/2 litre Bentley

The Bentley belonging to Advocatus is the two door 8 litre I posted a picture of earlier in this thread
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Peugeot coming back to India *Update* Manufacturing facility to be located in Gujarat ph03n!x The Indian Car Scene 114 3rd November 2011 19:54
The 50 Best Post War Classics Located in India RollingArt Vintage Cars & Classics in India 12 19th July 2011 13:03
Original Japanese Hero Honda CD 100 - Collectible? newcoolgadgets Motorbikes 11 9th December 2008 00:54
the top ten pda's and smartphones devarshi84 Gadgets, Computers & Software 3 5th May 2006 03:25
Top Ten non-supercars of all time Revvmaster The International Automotive Scene 34 25th April 2005 13:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks