Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 12th March 2009, 23:22   #46
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Personally I think that there is no need for a rating system. We are just passing our time and discussing among ourself the 10 best cars. If we want to do it scientifcally, then our approach is anyway wrong.

6 cars listed by me are sure contenders, Karl's list has gone a bit too long.
DKG mentions an Alfa. There is a prime car, a 1750 in Indore but it is missing its engine. That is why I did not include it. But as we are not particular about current condition, I think that that should be added.

About the New Engine, it may even be unique in the world. But it is not a world beater. It is not an exciting car, or a milestone car.

And polling was not part of the plan. Who would be eligible? So an updated list.
We can discuss and remove/add as we go on.
About Rolls's, wheren't they a hipe anyway? (Fodder for a new topic)

Delahaye
Daimler Double Six
Lanchester Alwar ( I do not think it has left the country, Awini any info?)
Daimler Seth Hukumchand
Bentley Advocatus
Rolls Nizam Hyderabad
Alfa Romeo 1750 Indore
Minerva (Titus)
Lagonda Awini
hello, i would like to remind you of our other Lagonda 1934 Rapide body by abbot replica of le mans it had won. only 4 cars were manufractured one in india now in Indore Mr Sanghi's collection.if i m wrong please correct me.
Subodh Nath
Subodh Nath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 01:01   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Nath View Post
hello, i would like to remind you of our other Lagonda 1934 Rapide body by abbot replica of le mans it had won. only 4 cars were manufractured one in india now in Indore Mr Sanghi's collection.if i m wrong please correct me.
Subodh Nath
subodh bhai, check my list, your m45r is the only lagonda in it. in my opinion the only lagonda more desirable than that is an LG 45 rapide, of which 25 were made and none came to india, not even your V12 comes close to your rapide. while we are adding cars, how about the two Frazer Nash BMW 328s? they are very much world class milestone cars.

harit bhai, as far as i know, the lanchester and the hispanos are still with alwar.
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 01:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Prince Jeetendra has a Lanchester still, if I'm not mistaken. My last physical sighting, and ride in it, was 17 to 20 years ago. The coachwork was possibly different from my faint recollection, but quite ornate for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
harit bhai, as far as i know, the lanchester and the hispanos are still with alwar.
Glad, I wasn't too off the mark there. The coachwork maybe a little altered though, as I remember it to be a little less fussy, and more everyday. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe also that I remember it to be of a bluish/greenish hue then.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 09:07   #49
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
subodh bhai, check my list, your m45r is the only lagonda in it. in my opinion the only lagonda more desirable than that is an LG 45 rapide, of which 25 were made and none came to india, not even your V12 comes close to your rapide. while we are adding cars, how about the two Frazer Nash BMW 328s? they are very much world class milestone cars.
Quite obviously there are many special cars in India and to whet out a list of the top ten you do need a methodical system of selection, I still feel an analysis based on certain criteria is a easier and more objective way of finalising the list than a random wish list
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 11:10   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I checked with the owner, its a 1958 Alfa Romeo SVZ standing for Sprint Velocce Zagato. One of only 18-19 cars made. In 1959 it raced the Mille Miglia and sometime in the Targa Florio.

The car is indeed special.
I am reproducing herewith a text which a dear friend pulled out for me last night. The source is someone from the SV/Giulietta register or connected to them.
"
Even though a restoration of this car will be expensive and time consuming and probably difficult from a location like India it would certainly be worthwhile for this very rare car. The existance of this SVZ has been known for many years and I suspect the condition has rather deteriorated . Chassis 04249 was transformed from a SV into a SVZ in 1959. First owner was Dario Sepe.It probably competed in the Targa Florio in 1959 under no. 38. The car was sold to an Italian diplomat in 1960 who took it to Bombay.The third owner was somebody in Madras who sold it to someone in Coimbatore . UK Giulietta Register member Rajesh Malhotra was the last known owner who tried to buy it for 15 years. The car is pictured on page 45 of Hughes/Witting da Prato book "Veloce Racing Giuliettas" where it looks in excellent condition.
It is a great shame the condition is now so bad because genuine SVZ are ultra rare and very valuable. The photo (sorry for the bad quality) shows the car as copies from the UK "Giulietta Letta" . The text is complete I am not attaching the photo, I will bring my photo tomorrow and post.

Another quote:
" [FONT=verdana] Svz #04249
#04249 was rebodied by Zagato in 1959 according to sources, but owner Dario Sepe probably raced a few times in 1958 with a SVZ. He sold it in 1960 to an italian diplomat who took it to Bombay (IND). Photographed in the 1989 Veloce-book, it is still in India but needs complete restoration"
[/FONT]

Conclusion:
Rebodied, but still very rare and very valuable
Not in top 10, maybe in top 20.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 12:06   #51
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am reproducing herewith a text which a dear friend pulled out for me last night
That was truly very enlightening Harit. Thanks for sharing. The car clearly is a very special car and highly desirable.

I hope th owner someday will send the car to Italy and have it restored authentically.

Quote:
That a 1958 car was rebodied in 1959 doesn't really detract from its pedigree especially since race cars go through so many changes in their lifetime.

It just might be a top 10 car Harit
Old 13th March 2009, 12:30   #52
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Subodh bhai could you throw some more light on the history and pedigree of this car
Old 13th March 2009, 12:33   #53
BHPian

Quote:

I forget what car it is but there is a Zagato bodied coupe in Madras which once raced a famous race (Targa Florio?)
there is an exotic Karmann bodied, Ghia designed, german sports coupe in delhi, which once raced itself from bombay to delhi, and has been driven in both, the alps, as well as the himalayas
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2009, 12:35   #54
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
there is an exotic Karmann bodied, Ghia designed, german sports coupe in delhi, which once raced itself from bombay to delhi, and has been driven in both, the alps, as well as the himalayas
Is the owner by anychance the famous racer Awini?

BTW would you know more about GJD 9483

Last edited by DKG : 13th March 2009 at 12:41.
Old 15th March 2009, 11:24   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am reproducing herewith a text which a dear friend pulled out for me last night. The source is someone from the SV/Giulietta register or connected to them.
"

Conclusion:
Some more details on this Alfa. Source Alfa Forums

SVA/SVZ *04249*: 1957-1958 with Mario Angioli; 1958-1959 with Silvano Bernabei, raced by "Lucky" (Battistoli?); 1959 with Clara Barbato, raced by Dario Sepe (note: Dario Sepe already raced in 1958 a Giulietta, but I do not believe it was SVZ *04249* since Bernabei was from Roma, and both Barbato/Sepe were Neapolitano; 1960 raced by Silvio Mandato (note: the book lists Sepe for the 19590927 Catania-Etna with No. 312, but Mandato was there and finished 2cl, Sepe is not listed with *04249* after this); 1961 sold to Renetto Venneli, General Manager of Alitalia Airlines India, Bombay (note: Renato Valli, Italian ambassador at Bombay, according to Giugno)

Great history but going by what is said about these cars most of them were rebodied by Zagato in the late 50's. The original SVZ by Zagato had the trademark Zagato Double Bubble style body.

Sure does qualify for the top 10 but can anyone shed more light on it ? What happened to the original engine and what got it to the state it is in now.

Some pics. The first is of the said car before it was imported to India, second and third of the car as is and the last is of a genuine Zagato Double Bubble SVZ.
Attached Thumbnails
Top Ten Collectible Cars Located In India-1959052420targa20no3820230424920sepedavis20001a.jpg  

Attached Images

wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2009, 11:27   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No Wasif this is the 6 1/2 litre Bentley

The Bentley belonging to Advocatus is the two door 8 litre I posted a picture of earlier in this thread
So the Advocatus is the Ex Ronnie Khan 8 Litre is it ?

Dont you guys think the 6.5 is also a contender based on its rarity and originality of coachwork etc.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2009 at 02:19. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 16th March 2009, 11:55   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

There is one more contender which came to my mind. Aston Martin of the 1930's.
I saw a pic of this car around 1980, yellow colour with a UP registration no. Later was sold to Mallya. Still there I believe, but not sure why restoration is taking so long. She was a sports car, but not sure if 2 or 4 seater. Someone could check with them?
About the dainler double six, slight modification to my post. She had a Limo body, removed and what is now on the car seems to be incomplete and home built. But for sure not the original body.

Last edited by harit : 16th March 2009 at 11:58.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 13:22   #58
Senior - BHPian

Had seen a picture of the Mallya Aston Martin long back in an article featuring his collection.

The car looked to be a two seater convertible but was in a real bad shape.
Old 16th March 2009, 19:11   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the owner by anychance the famous racer Awini?

BTW would you know more about GJD 9483
DKG,
GJD-9483 is shown in the "Autos of the Maharajas" and is titled ex-Bhavnagar.
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 10:31   #60
BANNED

Default Daimler Double Six/Alfa

Harit, I have personally seen the Kanpur Daimler Double Six and it is NOT a limo converted to a two door car. I have a number of fotos too, but not allowed to put here. Also on the subject of the Alfa, I had been in Coimbatore a few years ago, and there was chat about this car being rebodied at some point. This car has had a bad time over the last several years. It has fallen off a truck, and hence windscreen and other bits missing. Right now sitting in the open in White Fields-Bangalore along with the Lancia. Been sitting in rain and sun for a long while now. Unlikely the car can ever be restored in India with so many bits missing. Good luck to the owner.
xoticars is offline   Reply With Quote