Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 4th May 2010, 10:18   #151
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
And another one to sadden all vintage lovers -
What is the present state of this chassis? If no one is interested could you please find out if I can get this chassis?

Thanks
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 20:03   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The lovely 1938 Packard Super Eight, 16th series, model 1605, body type: convertible sedan, body number: 1143, formerly owned by Nawab Dawood Jung Bahadur, later bought by a businessman at Siddiamber bazaar, then owned by the sixth Nizam and eventually bought by NTR. Here NTR is seen using the car for a parade when he was CM

Sadly the car lost its original engine when NTR dieselised it. Now it has a small six cylinder Dodge engine.

The original colour of the car apparently was ivory with the radiator grill shell in full chrome too. Now its a dark green

Attachment 341819
Hey DKG.

So you finally found time todig ths picture out ? Do try to see if you can get some recent ones and soem of teh side and rear of the car, it is indeed a beauty.

Any idea why it has an ADR reg when it is an original Hyd car, one would expect it to be APX or at the least APY ?

Pity it lost its engine but the good thing is that it is still with us.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 20:27   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Any idea why it has an ADR reg when it is an original Hyd car, one would expect it to be APX or at the least APY?
Your family's Model A rumble seat also had an ADL regn despite being an original Hyd car.

My uncle's Jeep also was an APX or APY, re registered as AHO sometime. Wonder why.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 22:00   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

Default two of three pictures today

I have added the pictures that I have from what DKG put up

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
I have edited the pics uploaded by wasif for some more clarity.Hope this would help.
Attached Images

kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 00:12   #155
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea why it has an ADR reg when it is an original Hyd car, one would expect it to be APX or at the least APY ?
For many years Telugu film production was primarily in Chennai and the car may have been shifted to Chennai. I think NTR maintained a home there. This seems like the most plausible explanation for what otherwise should have been a APX reg car like the other cars of Dawood Jung
Old 5th May 2010, 03:10   #156
BHPian

Before Padmalaya Studios come up in 80's, most of the Telugu film industry was based in Madras, so NTR has home and mostly used to be in Madras. ADR registeration series were most probably be of early 80's, my uncle used to have nice Fiat with regn. as ADR 41.
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 06:50   #157
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
What is the present state of this chassis? If no one is interested could you please find out if I can get this chassis?

Thanks
Dear DKG,

This chassis is very much in Bangalore. This chassis is orginally from Madurai and was dieselized as a wedding car. TN registered and original book is there, but not updated though. There is a continuous enquiry for this chassis but the same has been sold to person in NE. They are searching for a suitable engine, post which they hope to start the restoration. It is a long journey.

Cheers
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 10:34   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Your family's Model A rumble seat also had an ADL regn despite being an original Hyd car.

My uncle's Jeep also was an APX or APY, re registered as AHO sometime. Wonder why.

Yes it was APX but then in the mid eighties the Hyderabad RTO issued a rule saying that they would not re regester cars that have regestrations that are 40 year or more older.

All such car owners who were actively using their cars in those times were forced to get them re regestered.

In my uncles case his reg was APX 357 and it was changed to ADL 357.

With regards to other cars that stil carry the APX reg I amassuming they somehow didn't get their regs changed when it was a requirment and then at some point the law changed again and they were able to retain teh same.

Maybe this happened to teh Dawood Jung Packard too.
Old 5th May 2010, 10:52   #159
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Dear DKG,

This chassis is very much in Bangalore. This chassis is orginally from Madurai and was dieselized as a wedding car. TN registered and original book is there, but not updated though. There is a continuous enquiry for this chassis but the same has been sold to person in NE. They are searching for a suitable engine, post which they hope to start the restoration. It is a long journey.

Cheers
Thanks for the update, as long as its found a home. You know I have a soft corner for Packards Will do anything to prevent one from going to the breakers, no matter what condition it is in.
Old 5th May 2010, 11:00   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Dear DKG,

Cheers
Hi KPS,

That red Packard 1947/48 convertible was actually in Tiruchirapalli, original convertible, lying along with a 1st generation Ford Cortina chopped top. I have personally seen these cars there. From Trichy she went to Bangalore, and deteriorated very much.
Good luck in finding a correct engine, this may be difficult to find in India.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2010, 11:01   #161
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Harit I had heard of another Packard lying in some field somewhere near Kanpur or thereabouts. Any idea of that car?

BTW I would love to see pictures of the other 1936 Packard Super Eight Convertible sedan (similar to your car but missing the engine)

Last edited by DKG : 5th May 2010 at 11:08.
Old 24th June 2010, 12:31   #162
Team-BHP Support

U.S. Ambassador to India Timothy J Roemer and Mr. Mohammad Alam Khan, Managing Director, The Hyderabad Deccan Cigarette Factory Pvt. Ltd. beside a 1948 Packard in which the Ambassador rode during his visit to Chowmahalla Palace on, October 22 2009

Name:  Amb_Vintage.jpg
Views: 4290
Size:  275.6 KB

U.S. Consulate Photo Gallery
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2010, 13:21   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
U.S. Ambassador to India Timothy J Roemer and Mr. Mohammad Alam Khan, Managing Director, The Hyderabad Deccan Cigarette Factory Pvt. Ltd. beside a 1948 Packard in which the Ambassador rode during his visit to Chowmahalla Palace on, October 22 2009

Attachment 374066

U.S. Consulate Photo Gallery

That is a single owner totally original Packard whichis kept company by a couple of Buicks and a Dodge convertible, all original and single woner cars I might add.
Old 25th June 2010, 00:10   #164
BHPian

Amazing thing about it is Alam family has best American cars purchased by their grand father, they did not purchase any vintage car they are maintaining it well. Besides Packard, Buick they also have nice Plymouth convertible.
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 11:54   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is a single owner totally original Packard whichis kept company by a couple of Buicks and a Dodge convertible, all original and single woner cars I might add.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Amazing thing about it is Alam family has best American cars purchased by their grand father, they did not purchase any vintage car they are maintaining it well. Besides Packard, Buick they also have nice Plymouth convertible.
Have a look at my post no 62 on
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...s-india-5.html

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote