Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 16th March 2009, 11:16   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
There is a local Clipper in Lucknow , been with the same family since new - tha car was last seen on road in the 70's , but it still remains in Lucknow for sure.

Nobody is sure what is there with Mahmoodabad after the Minerva , a Mercury I have seen and a strong local local rumour that a Packard V 12 remains locked up.

The car in the photograph below was sold recently in Varanasi , while I was away -

And another one to sadden all vintage lovers -
I believe the family of local Lucknow Packard were dealers of Packards? Can you confirm?

Varanasi car sold to Bangalore, a budding Packard collection now 3 cars!
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 11:32   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I've been trying unsuccessfully to get to see the NTR Packard again and Rashid bhai seems to have sealed up the cars only too well to bother opening the garages, atleast I haven't had much luck.
The Nawabs car was originally from Rajkot, a 1948/49 tourer. A friend had purchased yhis car and used in Mumbai for a couple of months. Then he left India, and sold this along with the SS 100 to the Nawab. How many Packards does the Nawab have?
Old 16th March 2009, 11:36   #48
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
How many Packards does the Nawab have?
I reckon atleast three cars
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 11:38   #49
Senior - BHPian

Wonder who this gentleman is who posted this item on the prewarcars.com website

[COLOR=#0000ff]Barnfind
[/COLOR]
Harit from India mailed us these photos of a 1920s Packard. Itís not really a barnfind as the Packard had been laid up in a bungalow in Mumbai. Sheís an open tourer, seven-seater with a straight eight [COLOR=#800080]engine[/COLOR]. The Packard, which probably dates from 1924/1926, has been known to local collectors since 1985, but has never been for sale and nobody was allowed to see the car. Only recently the owner sold the Bungalow and the Packard went with the deal. It was pulled out of the bungalow garage and towed away. Fortunately a friend of Harit saw this happening and informed him of the Packardís new whereabouts. A lot of work needs to be done, but a [COLOR=#800080]good many of the parts[/COLOR] are still with the Packard. The engine is there, all wheels are there, and so are the [COLOR=#800080]headlights[/COLOR] which were removed. But it still will be a formidable project! (photos Harit)
Attached Images

wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 11:54   #50
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BTW, there is another Indian early Packard on the prewarcar.com site
Are you referring to this one posted by you? Great car. Does anyone know the engine number, any body plates?

Name:  Packard_harit_260RB.jpg
Views: 1251
Size:  10.0 KB

Name:  Packard_harit_500RB.jpg
Views: 1283
Size:  51.9 KB

Name:  Packard_harit_501RB.jpg
Views: 1266
Size:  64.6 KB

Name:  Packard_harit_502RB.jpg
Views: 1259
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  Packard_harit_503RB.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  64.8 KB
Old 16th March 2009, 12:02   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Wonder who this gentleman is who posted this item on the prewarcars.com website
Why wonder? And you CAN read!

I took the pics. Saved on my comp in jpg. The saw that file was more than 1mb, requested Karl to downsize. Then tried uploading, no luck. So put on that site. I just mailed the pics to them, it took 5 minutes.
Have to sit with Rehan very soon!
I believe that this could be the second oldest Packard in India.
Come on bring out those Packard's, there are many more apart from mine!

Last edited by harit : 16th March 2009 at 12:04. Reason: correction of typo errors
Old 16th March 2009, 12:09   #52
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Harit are you the lucky new owner?
Old 16th March 2009, 12:39   #53
DKG
Senior - BHPian

From the fender design I am more inclined to think the car is either a 27 or 28. The 24/25/26's had a crease running along the fender face.

I could be wrong though, will study it more, unless ofcourse someone can make it easier by posting either the engine number or chassis details

Last edited by DKG : 16th March 2009 at 12:55.
Old 16th March 2009, 13:44   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Harit are you the lucky new owner?
No, unfortunately not.
This car can be seen by anyone coming to Mumbai, and has to go to the Juhu Bandh.
BTW, in todays times you do not just need luck to get such cars, you need money too!

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2009 at 16:30. Reason: Coming has one "m". :)
Old 16th March 2009, 13:49   #55
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This car can be seen by anyone comming to Mumbai, and has to go to the Juhu Bandh.
By any chance did you get any numbers off the car Harit?
Old 16th March 2009, 14:09   #56
Team-BHP Support

This monster of a Packard was a one owner car. Till recently it belonged to a wealthy Parsi family in Bombay, they had strong connections (possibly owners) of the then dealers for Packard and other high end marques, Dadajee Dhackjee & Co. The car has been locked up in their garage for god knows how many decades. I wonder if it even switched over to BMW series regn. in the late 30s from the old system. I knew a member of the family well, she shared this lovely picture of the car in its heydays, I suspect shot in Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani. I tried very hard to see the car, but it was sold before I could get to it.
Attached Images

karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 14:20   #57
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Till recently it belonged to a wealthy Parsi family in Bombay, they had strong connections (possibly owners) of the then dealers for Packard and other high end marques, Dadajee Dhackjee & Co.
I wonder if some interesting literature on Packards has surfaced in that house. Someone should check it out before some spring cleaning gets rid of obscure Packard literature
Old 16th March 2009, 14:28   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I wonder if some interesting literature on Packards has surfaced in that house. Someone should check it out before some spring cleaning gets rid of obscure Packard literature
Im sure there were tonnes of interesting literature and photos in the house. I don't expect we will see any of it again.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 14:33   #59
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Im sure there were tonnes of interesting literature and photos in the house. I don't expect we will see any of it again.
Harit/Gogi any chance of approaching the new owners for any material on cars? Possibly you could send someone as a raddiwala to clean up?

Considering Packard factory records were lost to a fire it would be a great pity if a fresh load of Packard material finds its way to Chowpati/Juhu beach as serving paper for bhelpuri

Last edited by DKG : 16th March 2009 at 14:36.
Old 17th March 2009, 13:08   #60
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Here's more on identifying the Packard in pictures taken by Harit.

The car on account of its radiator is a 1928 or earlier car.

As the eights in '28 had hood door vents instead of the louvers the car is not a '28

From the full crown fenders, as opposed to panelled fenders on earlier cars, I am inclined to conclude the car is a 1927 Packard Eight Model 343 Touring, 3rd series, body no 290

The engine number on this car should fall within 220007 - 224511

As with all such research there's always the surprise flipside, and I could be wrong, but would be happy to learn more.

Now if someone in Bombay would kindly get us atleast the engine number to confirm the above.

Last edited by DKG : 17th March 2009 at 13:24.