Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 14th August 2012, 14:12   #1036
Senior - BHPian

Default Nos Lucas Lenses

A rare part find.Yesterday came across this pair of NOS LUCAS(GLASS) park light lens pair for LANDMASTER/MARK 1 Ambassador in original Lucas BOX and wrapping.Original screws(2nos) also in lucas packing.Markings -MADE IN ENGLAND,LUCAS L545
To the best of my info these only plastic lenses were available in the market since the 70's.Nowadays even those have disappeared.There are still cars which have the original glass lens intact even after 50 years- proof of its quality.
Now seeing an unused piece of the same for the first time could note that the glass is really Double thick and stain free even after decades of storage
Attached Images

Last edited by ajay99 : 14th August 2012 at 14:16.
ajay99 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 17:02   #1037
BHPian

Default Re: Nos Lucas Lenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
A rare part find.Yesterday came across this pair of NOS LUCAS(GLASS) park light lens pair for LANDMASTER/MARK 1 Ambassador in original Lucas BOX and wrapping.Original screws(2nos) also in lucas packing.Markings -MADE IN ENGLAND,LUCAS L545
A rare find indeed. The glass ones are getting rare. I had 2 sets, and they went to deserving hands (team-bhp'ians Karl and Sanjeev Kanjoor)

Quote:
To the best of my info these only plastic lenses were available in the market since the 70's.Nowadays even those have disappeared.
The plastic ones are still easily available.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread to discuss valuation of parts, but in the hope that it will help forum members :

A pair of plastic lens & assembly go for around 500/-
A pair of used glass lenses would go for upto 1500/-
A pair of NoS glass lenses would fetch upto 2500/-
thebulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 23:14   #1038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebulletboy View Post
..................Not sure if this is the appropriate thread to discuss valuation of parts, but in the hope that it will help forum members :
Dear bulletboy, please don't mind me, but what is the point of valuation, even for spares? For cars I have opined many times that there is no formula. Same applies to spares. If I had a Landmaster and I needed these lenses, I would pay much more than if I were just to keep them in my cupboard. And believe me, my cupboards are overflowing. This valuation shown by you is on what basis? Have you checked foreign ads, or did you ask someone who has purchased these recently? Even parts have various prices. A part reaching chor bazar will become expensive because those guys are now net savy. But if you can buy stock from a shop closing down, you can get stuff very cheap.
Frankly, there is no point in valuing car parts, new parts are priced based on manufacturing cost + profit, old parts are mostly an opportunity. Check ebay, the moment there are more bidders the price goes up, irrespective of market estimates
Please take this post in the right spirit

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 23:49   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
but what is the point of valuation, even for spares? For cars I have opined many times that there is no formula. Same applies to spares.
I agree. Market factors of demand and supply, and sometimes chance, are the only true evaluators of price.

Quote:
..my cupboards are overflowing. This valuation shown by you is on what basis? Have you checked foreign ads, or did you ask someone who has purchased these recently?
Well, these are the prices at which I have sold said items in the recent past.
Perhaps, if you consider my post to be not so much a valuation of parts, but rather a re-alignment of prices by the market force of supply / demand, things will go down better.

Quote:
Please take this post in the right spirit
Of course
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 11:50   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A rare find indeed. The glass ones are getting rare. I had 2 sets, and they went to deserving hands (team-bhp'ians Karl and Sanjeev Kanjoor)

The plastic ones are still easily available.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread to discuss valuation of parts, but in the hope that it will help forum members :

First of all the plastic lens and assembly is not LUCAS but repro stuff(JMI) and as you said they were available for Rs.500 a pair.Nowadays even they are not available (at least in Kerala).One of my friends recently purchased a pair for Rs.950/-
Now regarding NOS glass LUCAS lenses with the original surrounds,screws etc if available for Rs.2500 will be a bargain.
Please let me know if you can get such a set for that sum
The shop guy who has the set which I put photos of is asking much more than that.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2012, 21:04   #1041
BHPian

Quote:
First of all the plastic lens and assembly is not LUCAS but repro stuff(JMI) and as you said they were available for Rs.500 a pair.Nowadays even they are not available (at least in Kerala).One of my friends recently purchased a pair for Rs.950/-
Yes, Lucas did not make plastic 545s. I had purchased a small stockpile of the JMI repro assemblies.
Someone on the forum mentioned that JMI has since shut down?
I still sell these for 500/- a pair, though.

Name:  21082012498.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  33.6 KB

It's interesting to note that people are willing to pay upto 950/- a pair for this.
In my experience, Ambassador restorations are a price sensitive segment and most people usually try to haggle down the price from 500/- !!

Quote:
Now regarding NOS glass LUCAS lenses with the original surrounds,screws etc if available for Rs.2500 will be a bargain.
Please let me know if you can get such a set for that sum
Most of the Lucas 545 / 546 lenses I had were sold off in the last couple of months at the prices mentioned. Here's what is left. You're welcome to take either one of these for 1250/- if you wish.
sadly, Only one piece left of each though. :-(

Name:  21082012494.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  33.3 KBName:  21082012496.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  37.6 KB

Quote:
The shop guy who has the set which I put photos of is asking much more than that.
Out of curiosity, how much is he quoting?
I doubt you'd ever shy away from sharing a valuation.. but if you're not comfortable discussing his valuation on an online forum, pls PM me.
thebulletboy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:37   #1042
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, Lucas did not make plastic 545s. I had purchased a small stockpile of the JMI repro assemblies.
Someone on the forum mentioned that JMI has since shut down?
I still sell these for 500/- a pair, though.

Attachment 973190

It's interesting to note that people are willing to pay upto 950/- a pair for this.
In my experience, Ambassador restorations are a price sensitive segment and most people usually try to haggle down the price from 500/- !!

Most of the Lucas 545 / 546 lenses I had were sold off in the last couple of months at the prices mentioned. Here's what is left. You're welcome to take either one of these for 1250/- if you wish.
sadly, Only one piece left of each though. :-(

Attachment 973188Attachment 973189

Out of curiosity, how much is he quoting?
I doubt you'd ever shy away from sharing a valuation.. but if you're not comfortable discussing his valuation on an online forum, pls PM me.
Yes,JMI Shut down in 2008 or so.The reason why you are able to sell at Rs.500 is because you may have accumulated these at a bargain(MRP of these were only Rs.70 a piece).But the people who are having these in Kerala are resellers and mostly those having 1 or 2 sets with them and they are out to make a '' profit '' seeing the enquiries for the part and nonavailability.That is the reason why people end up paying Rs.950 for it.Who knows whether some of these may have come here even from your stock !!!
I have already asked my friend to contact you if he requires the single lens.

Last edited by ajay99 : 22nd August 2012 at 12:43.
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:07   #1043
BHPian

Default Re: Vintage & Classic car parts info

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasthebiker View Post
Hi I am looking for a megneto for my bike Matchless 3GL Army model - if someone can help me do PM. Thanks
Contact me on planter472002@yahoo.co.in if you are still in need of the G3l magneto. Though if you are in Delhi I am sure you would be able to obtain one there
Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:00   #1044
BHPian

I know somebody who has lots of spares for the Fintail Mercedes. Interested people please PM me. Even i might have some Fintail parts such as the gearbox, rear tail lamp etc
vikramv007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 21:34   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
(MRP of these were only Rs.70 a piece).
Wow! I didn't know they sold for 70/- in 2008 !!
On a lighter note, if this is true then investment in car parts seems to be more lucrative than real estate !

Quote:
Who knows whether some of these may have come here even from your stock !!!
Perhaps !
thebulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:27   #1046
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! I didn't know they sold for 70/- in 2008 !!
On a lighter note, if this is true then investment in car parts seems to be more lucrative than real estate !

Perhaps !
please correct it as "classic car parts""and your statement is more or less factual in percentage profit
Old 24th August 2012, 01:17   #1047
BHPian

I am looking for gearbox for Austin 1933 model open tourer, if anybody have any leads appreciate the contact details. The gearbox outer cover was damaged.

Thanks & regards,
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 10:54   #1048
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
I am looking for gearbox for Austin .....Thanks & regards,
If you have major parts, and even if a few are missing, you could consider metal stitching. But you have to show pictures first to decide if metal stitching will work.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 24th August 2012 at 10:59.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 14:08   #1049
BHPian

Hi all,

I am looking for a Pair of Lucas 464 Tail Lamp lenses,
picture attached for reference.

Would be grateful if anyone can please help.

Thanks
Kartik
Attached Images

KartikeyaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 19:12   #1050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramv007 View Post
I know somebody who has lots of spares for the Fintail Mercedes. Interested people please PM me. Even i might have some Fintail parts such as the gearbox, rear tail lamp etc
By any chance does your friend have any bits for the W114/W115??? I am also in Coimbatore and in desperate need for items to get me Merc back on the road again.If there is any possabality please let me know. Either here or directly on planter472002@yahoo.co.in
Thanks
Arthur
Collector is offline   Reply With Quote