Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 27th December 2012, 12:22   #1141
BHPian

Default Re: Vintage & Classic car parts info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for nylon tyres size 6.70-15. I have two questions -
1. How this size is currently referred to?
2. Any ideas where one could obtain the same in Mumbai?
These were fitted in Dodge/Plymouth cars 1950-54.

I did find this size in the MRF product list branded as super miller. Would this be the same size?

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Caddy.
I too was in a similar situation as only super miller with higher plys was available or had to shift to radail option. I went in for super miller becuase

1.The old nylons being more than 25 yrs old were harder than the the higher ply new super millers
2.These old cars are also heavy cars.
3.The radials too were not same baloon fit and also was told by those who went for this option that the steering feel to gets hardened as we are more used to power steerings these days.
4. The 6.70-15 super miller has the same baloon and fit as the original size which gives the car the same height and balance when looked at.
Mohammed4rmhyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 13:06   #1142
BHPian

Except for my Benz and Montego, which run on radial tyres I still use only Nylon tyres for all my other cars and though they may not be readily available in all tyre shops. Any larger shop would be willing to order you a set. It would be best to contact your nearest MRF dealer and ask him to obtain the tyres you need

Last edited by Collector : 27th December 2012 at 13:10.
Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2012, 20:00   #1143
BHPian

Hello

My Friend is in Need of an Austin 7 Body, for his running car. The Body on his was totaled due to a falling tree and rust. Can We Help him Somehow? I know its difficult but still.
Shreeram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2012, 06:26   #1144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
Hello all,

I am looking for nylon tyres size 6.70-15. I have two questions -
1. How this size is currently referred to?
2. Any ideas where one could obtain the same in Mumbai?
These were fitted in Dodge/Plymouth cars 1950-54.

I did find this size in the MRF product list branded as super miller. Would this be the same size?

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Caddy.
These are the tires I have with me sans the whitewall insert 670x15

Cheers

Name:  image3902636847.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  133.0 KB
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 22:01   #1145
BHPian

A friend of mine has 3,EXCELSIOR, a british brand, black wall,brand new tyres of size 5.00/5.20 x14. Ideally they suit Morris Minors,but can be fitted on Fiat1100 & Padmini as well. Very economically priced. E mail me at csa063@gmail.com
C.S.ANANTH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 11:06   #1146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
A friend of mine has 3,EXCELSIOR, a british brand, black wall,brand new tyres of size 5.00/5.20 x14. Ideally they suit Morris Minors,but can be fitted on Fiat1100 & Padmini as well. Very economically priced. E mail me at csa063@gmail.com
It would be really nice if you could mention the economical price also.
Here is an example of unrealistic pricing with regards to vintage cars parts. This ad is from Team BHP classifieds
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...le-badge.html/
Note the price- Rs.6500/-

The same item is available on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-R...0a#ht_52wt_919
the total landed cost in INDIA will work out to around Rs.1700/-
In short the seller is demanding 400 percent more than what a buyer could get if he is purchasing it from ebay.One can understand giving a normal premium for getting the item directly from INDIA,but this appears too farfetched!!!

Last edited by ajay99 : 20th January 2013 at 11:07.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 11:48   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Have inquired about the same from Mr. Ananth, its Rs. 6000 a Pc without tubes.
Here's the ad placed in TBHP classifieds regarding same.

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...or-Tyres.html/
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 19:00   #1148
BHPian

If you do not want to buy,it is your choice. Kindly do not pass unwarranted comments. Someone is selling them at that price, If he gets the price he will sell otherwise he will not,Why should anyone comment on this, I do not understand
C.S.ANANTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 19:49   #1149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
If you do not want to buy,it is your choice. Kindly do not pass unwarranted comments. Someone is selling them at that price, If he gets the price he will sell otherwise he will not,Why should anyone comment on this, I do not understand
Sir i hope this post isn't meant for me & if it is then i have just mentioned price which Ajay99 asked & not commented on anything.
Do clear this confusion of reference.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 20:35   #1150
BHPian

not directed at you samsag. I have meant onl those comments which were not asked for
C.S.ANANTH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2013, 15:33   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Here is an example of unrealistic pricing with regards to vintage cars parts. This ad is from Team BHP classifieds
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...le-badge.html/
Note the price- Rs.6500/-

The same item is available on Ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-7-R...0a#ht_52wt_919
the total landed cost in INDIA will work out to around Rs.1700/-
Look and read a little more on the 2 badges. The badge on EBay says it is re-manufactured. You can make out that the detailing on the EBay badge is not as clear as the one listed on Team-Bhp. The seller states that the badge on Bhp is a genuine NOS piece (certainly looks like it and also has the maker's mark) and the detailing is definitely better. I don't think there are too many NOS Austin badges going around so one shouldn't expect the prices to be the same. I'm not saying that Rs. 6500 is the right price but there may be a buyer at the price.

I can say for sure that if I had an Austin that had just been restored and needed a really good Austin emblem as a finishing touch, I would meet the listed price-it's not overpriced then, is it?

And I have no connection with seller.
mbz180 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 15:37   #1152
Senior - BHPian

quote=mbz180;3020739]Look and read a little more on the 2 badges. The badge on EBay says it is re-manufactured. You can make out that the detailing on the EBay badge is not as clear as the one listed on Team-Bhp. The seller states that the badge on Bhp is a genuine NOS piece (certainly looks like it and also has the maker's mark) and the detailing is definitely better. I don't think there are too many NOS Austin badges going around so one shouldn't expect the prices to be the same. I'm not saying that Rs. 6500 is the right price but there may be a buyer at the price.

I can say for sure that if I had an Austin that had just been restored and needed a really good Austin emblem as a finishing touch, I would meet the listed price-it's not overpriced then, is it?

And I have no connection with seller.[/quote]

I fully believe that you have no connection with this ''seller''.
But your conclusion that it is not ""overpriced"' in the scenario explained by you may seem correct but in the generic sense I am sorry to say that it befies logic.In that case any price however high it may be , one has to say is the correct price
I was just trying to make aware of the heavily souped up margins being extracted from vintage car owners /restorers by some sellers.You have not to look any further than to see this sellers other parts ads.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/sear...earch&username[equal]=10166
I hope you will also agree that a standard 10 monogram priced at Rs.6500/- is not in tune with reality.
Also Morris 1000 Lucas horn buttons at USD100(Rs.5400/-)!!!
Anyway these ads have been there since few months and have remained unsold. The same seller had advertised a pair of landmaster lucas tail lamps lens for Rs.5000/- a pair when many our fellow Bhpians have got them at less than half that amt from INDIA itself.
One thing I fail to understand is why some senior enthusiasts go all the way out to defend these sellers who are out to make a fast buck

Last edited by ajay99 : 22nd January 2013 at 15:39.
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 16:59   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
quote=mbz180;3020739]
I fully believe that you have no connection with this ''seller''. One thing I fail to understand is why some senior enthusiasts go all the way out to defend these sellers who are out to make a fast buck
Hi ajay99, my comments only referred to that 1 Austin badge. And I said that it may not be the correct price, nevertheless, I would have bought it.

But I agree fully with you on your opinion about the pricing of some other parts. The prices for the Morris Horn cap, the Morris 8 headlamp lenses only, are high. The headlamp lenses for the Morris are more expensive than new Mercedes Ponton lenses which are available from the Mercedes Classic Center in the US! Now that is saying something.

But then as you said, these products are listed for weeks or months and don't get sold. I browse EBay worldwide everyday and there are car parts listed which don't sell for months (in some cases more than a year!) and are ultimately taken off due to the high price.

What I'm trying to say is that there are overpriced items virtually everywhere you look but then, one can always negotiate

Regards
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 17:08   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Well it is a free market, so any body can sell any thing at the price he deems right. To caution our friends is good but to comment on the seller is no good. At one point of time or other we also don the sellers cap. The same can apply to us to. Remember I bought tail lamp glasses for elegent from a known seller in team bhp. The next month I got the same in my home town for 1/5 the price. I paid to the team bhp seller what we agreed upon and thought was right. You have all the spectrum in almost all walks of life.

So it would not be right to comment. I know a scrap dealer in Bangalore has lot of classic parts. He gave me the original fuel level sensor by magneti marelli for 1700. Now when I went and enquired for s fellow fiat owner I was quoted 4500, can I do any thing. No! I just came back empty handed. Period.
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 19:27   #1155
BHPian

Manish Sir. Being a Morris Minor owner myself had the good/bad fortune of contacting this seller from hydreabad for a pair of semaphore indicators He was quoting 16000rupees . Was very adamant on the price and not willing to negotiate. Dont know about the expeerience of other people. I see what ajay sir has posted is only about the huge difference in prices and not commented anything personal about the seller
kishorelal is offline   Reply With Quote