Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 10th September 2009, 17:18   #106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I would have preferred it if the look was kept retro and focus on modernising her internally which seems to been done. But the 2 door look looks incomplete without moving the B pillar back and stretching doors. Should have left it a 4 door
I assume you are talking about the Morris? I'm quite certain that they used to be offered in 2 door versions as well, so this may not be a conversion.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:07   #107
Senior - BHPian

Karl I am surprised you of all the folks would not see that this PARTICULAR car is a convert. Ofcourse there was a 2 door version but mostly with the headlights inside the fender and not the tiger type this one is. Look at the window frames and the width of the front door it is short,2 door cars always and this car as well have wider doors in 2 door format. Look at the pics again. cheers
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 12:21   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Karl I am surprised you of all the folks would not see that this PARTICULAR car is a convert. Ofcourse there was a 2 door version but mostly with the headlights inside the fender and not the tiger type this one is. Look at the window frames and the width of the front door it is short,2 door cars always and this car as well have wider doors in 2 door format. Look at the pics again. cheers
Actually the Tiger/1000/OHV Minor with larger grille was also offered in 2 door trim.

I didn't think too much about lengths of doors as they can be decieveing, especially in photos at this angle. But I also didn't notice the thick B pillar, it does indeed appear to be a 2 door conversion.
Old 2nd October 2009, 02:54   #109
BHPian

Default Hot Rod - Chopper Bike

I saw this unique mini Chopper with a 175 cc motor that had been created as a fund raiser for Breast Cancer here in the US,

It was purchased by a Rolls-Bentley-Ferarri shop where I saw over 40 Rolls & Bentleys which I posted on the Bentley thread. He is asking around $5,000 fpr it.

Wish I could take it home for my yonge grand-son.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Rods in India-img_5189.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-img_5190.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-img_5199.jpg  

john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2009, 22:33   #110
BHPian

Here's a Ford Custom "Rancharo" that is being done by Bumpu Sircar for one of his customers. Should be Very Distinctive!

I picked up the Nov. issue of Auto India and there is an article on a Custom Harley that fits into the back of a Custom Car, plus photos of some Hot Rods that were put up for auction by RM Autions in the U.S. Suggest you Google "RM Auctions" for all the cars plus all their other outstanding Auctions. If you haven't done so yet you will be blown away by their photos and detailed write ups of some of the finest Cars Ever Built! ! ! !

If I had a scanner I would put them up, perhaps someone else can?

Great issue with two other articles on some Indian Vintage and Classic Cars and well worth picking up a copy @R40.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Rods in India-img_5594.jpg  

Hot Rods in India-img_5610.jpg  

john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 12:59   #111
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Fellow member Sabinesnubing shares this picture of a strange Hyderabad registered Hot Rod. Probably based on a Dodge?

Attachment 157287
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
For me at least this is a hot rod in India as close to a real hot rod in the sense as you see in America. Only we do not know if she has V8 power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Congrats Karl for posting pics of what looks like the first "indian Hot Rod" and it makes me proud to see its from Hyderabad.

Would be interesting to know who is responsible for its birth, its specs and its history.

Looks like a Chrysler product but there was a similar looking Willys Aero sedan lying in Hyd in those days without an engine that could have been the start point.
Quote:
Yup, now that you mention it, it is quite likely to be something like a Willys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
It's a 1938 Willys .They are tiny cars actually and that's because they were originally powered by a four Cylinder engine which was used in the Willys jeep.
I just came across this picture of the same project here

Name:  funny03.jpg
Views: 3603
Size:  99.4 KB

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1775028-post10612.html
Old 10th March 2010, 14:25   #112
Senior - BHPian

Here are some more pics...
Attached Images

agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 15:33   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Do you guys remember a certain 'Plymouth Prowler' that was in production in the late '90s? I'm not sure if it still is in production but boy oh boy what a Hot Rod that is! I know that it technically cannot be classified as a Hot Rod because it hasn't been customized outside the factory as such, but still! It's great. And it's a modern car! If you're having a hard time placing it then here are a few pictures
Doesnt VJM have one of these.It is blue and is in his Goa residence if I am right.

there are couple of caterham based kit cars in bangalore too. One was spotted in Banaswadi area. Have interacted a couple of times with this gentleman who had built the car through this forum and if i recall he had plans of building another one or probably had another one already.
Rotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 13:55   #114
Team-BHP Support

A flame job on what must be a Hindustan 14 in Delhi.

Hot Rods in India-hindustan.jpg

...And Now We Have A Strange Longing For An Indian Street Rod
Old 11th June 2010, 13:00   #115
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A flame job on what must be a Hindustan 14 in Delhi.
Have to sheepishly admit that I quite like it! Looks well executed and the wheels only add to the overall effect. Well-taken picture too.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 20:37   #116

If I remember correctly, there was a morris featured in an old 'auto india' mag named morsche, you should now guessed how the mods were done, almost like a 911. Let me check my old mag collection and guys pls pray that I find it.
regds
GEN X JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 20:16   #117
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Hot rodded 1964 Ambassador on

Muscle Cars | OPEN Magazine

Name:  hot rod ambassador.jpg
Views: 6460
Size:  32.7 KB
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2010, 21:13   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
Doesnt VJM have one of these.It is blue and is in his Goa residence if I am right.

there are couple of caterham based kit cars in bangalore too. One was spotted in Banaswadi area. Have interacted a couple of times with this gentleman who had built the car through this forum and if i recall he had plans of building another one or probably had another one already.
Yup! He does own a Prowler, which was on display in Goa during 'Sunburn' if I'm not wrong!

There are several Caterham inspired kit-cars in Bangalore. The most popular firm that makes these kit-cars is Chinkara Motors. They may not pack a lot of power, but they don't really strain the weighing scales, so they go like stink. Probably the closest thing to driving a track car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN X JEEP View Post
If I remember correctly, there was a morris featured in an old 'auto india' mag named morsche, you should now guessed how the mods were done, almost like a 911. Let me check my old mag collection and guys pls pray that I find it.
regds
I think I know what you're talking about! I remember seeing the picture; but retrieving it from my magazine collection is going to be quite a task! How I'd like to see that picture again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Saw this Hot rodded 1964 Ambassador on

Muscle Cars | OPEN Magazine

Attachment 419443
Now this Ambassador is quite a looker! It's a proper 'Indian Hot-Rod', complete with intake-fins on the bonnet, the wheels jutting out of the arches, et al.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 22:37   #119
BHPian

Default re: Hot Rods in India

It gets interesting when Hot Rods start appearing in Rust In Pieces thread . There has been a lot of interest in Hot Rods , which is what made me retrieve this old thread and go through it again, for fact - I have never thought of myself as a Hot Rod person but views change.

I know having a 30's or 40's car and big engine do not by themselves add upto a Hot Rod .

I have 32 Ford which was to be restored sometime in the future , but , now after going through the thread and the latest updates I think it would be an ideal car to Hot Rod.

I have a spare Ford V-8 255 cu in flathead of 1948 vintage or even better I have a Russian overhead valve V-8 of unidentifiable origin and make ( Russian because of the Cyrrillic script ) which makes the Ford V-8 look puny; I have not been able to find anything on this engine , it is much bigger than a Chevrolet Impala 350 cu in engine. I would estimate it to be between 7 to 8 liters going by the external physical dimensions.

So the vehicle and engine are there to start off with, but I have'nt the slightest idea what else goes into making a Hot Rod ? I will read up about it on the net , mentoring would be welcome!

Regrettably I will be off the forum for week starting 22nd September.
Attached Images

vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2011, 08:11   #120
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Hot Rods in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
even better I have a Russian overhead valve V-8 of unidentifiable origin and make ( Russian because of the Cyrrillic script ) which makes the Ford V-8 look puny; I have not been able to find anything on this engine , it is much bigger than a Chevrolet Impala 350 cu in engine. I would estimate it to be between 7 to 8 liters going by the external physical dimensions.
Hi Vintageman,

If your Russian engine is air cooled there is a clue. It could be Tatra 603. See the post of a car in Chennai. It is still lying there on Radhakrishna Salai opposite Saravana Bhavan

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1284163 (Rust In Pieces... Pics of Disintegrating Classic & Vintage Cars)

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote