Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2009, 09:27   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 450
Thanked: 231 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Nice pics.! As DKG suggested we too should organise similar events here- it'll be fun as well as for a noble cause!

BTW, the cream convertible buick seems fitted with a WW2 jeep spilt windscreen??
I understand the first owner of this car a Maharaja had this car modified wiith a split foldable windscreen and he used it for Shikar / Hunting expeditions. As soon as I get more information, shall post the same.

S.B.Jatti.
S.B.Jatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 09:51   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
I understand the first owner of this car a Maharaja had this car modified wiith a split foldable windscreen and he used it for Shikar / Hunting expeditions. As soon as I get more information, shall post the same.

S.B.Jatti.
The cream cabrio Buick (47?) was ex Bikaner if I am right. The car was present at the Cartier show, where I was told it was a 4 door hard top locally converted to a cabrio at some point, perhaps while still with the Maharaja.

As far as I know 4 door convertibles were not offered in this period, and it does definitely look like an aftermarket conversion.

EDIT - And thank you Jattiji for consistently taking the effort to share these wealth of photos. We do appreceate it.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 31st March 2009 at 10:06.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 11:16   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The cream cabrio Buick (47?) was ex Bikaner if I am right. The car was present at the Cartier show, where I was told it was a 4 door hard top locally converted to a cabrio at some point, perhaps while still with the Maharaja.

As far as I know 4 door convertibles were not offered in this period, and it does definitely look like an aftermarket conversion.

EDIT - And thank you Jattiji for consistently taking the effort to share these wealth of photos. We do appreceate it.
This car was convertied to the current specs while it was with the Bikaner Royal Family to use as a hunting car.

Definitely a local job. This particula body style was never offered as a four door convertible, only a two door caonvertible was offered which was a very good looking car with chrome door caps instead of wood seen on the Bikaner car.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:07   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

This is a wonderful event specially since there was a social cause.
But as far as I know, the first person who started doing rally's for a social cause was Doc in Bangalore. I happened to be in Bangalore one weekend where there was a rally and Doc invited me to drive his Fiat. There were a number of girls each with a parent and they sat in different cars. It was a wonderful experience and no politicians were seen anywhere. It was a real fun event.
Some comments on the cars seen:
GJX 1530 Corvette Maharaja of Kutch. A Mumbai car which went to Delhi.
DLV 10 Studebaker, I think this is a family car of Awini.
BYH 2115 Mercedes 170V Roadster from Mumbai, Mr. Mehta a parsi gentleman who lived near CCI club. Later the car was modified to give it a grander appearance.
BMZ 3854 Buick was this a Jhaveri car?
UPX 119 Buick 1935 Limo now Titus, ex Ayodhya.
R?JF 1150 A Willys Whippet which probably spent some time in south India
MRD 4748 Buick Skylark? convertible came out in Mumbai from Juhu beach area with broken screen, went to Choksi, then restored now in Delhi
DL 1C 9106 Jag X ex-mumbai, earlier MRF registered, this is a genuine resurrection, the car was run into the ground. Marvellous effort!
BML 5365 Chevy Belair 1956 was probably actor Raj Kumars car. Car was rotten, as lying by the seashore.
Question: Is the Karmann Ghia a genuine convertible or a chop top? I hope it is genuine.
See not many Maharaja cars in this event.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 12:18   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,628
Thanked: 8,107 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
BMZ 3854 Buick was this a Jhaveri car?
Question: Is the Karmann Ghia a genuine convertible or a chop top? I hope it is genuine.
BMZ 3854 was originally belonging to the Buick dealers in Bombay, a Parsee family. Was acquired by Vakil in Pune in beautiful unrestored condition. She used to be black, till the current owner applied this scheme. If Im not mistaken the Jhaveri car you speak of is light green and grey, 47 model, BMZ 1898 (subject to correction). It made an appearance in Bombay quite recently.

The Karmann Ghia used to be deep blue, and in Pune for years. The whole car was very original, even the top mechanism. I doubt it was chopped. But even chopped Ghias look very authentic, so cannot confirm.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 13:31   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
GJX 1530 Corvette Maharaja of Kutch.
I keep confusing this for the Maharajah of Kishangarh. So there was a Maharajah of Kutch too? I thought Kutch is the name of an entire region and not a principality.

Last edited by DKG : 31st March 2009 at 13:32.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 14:45   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I keep confusing this for the Maharajah of Kishangarh. So there was a Maharajah of Kutch too? I thought Kutch is the name of an entire region and not a principality.
See, tbhp is also responsible for increasing our general knowledge.
If you have read Manvendras book, the same Manvendra you have been referring to a lot lately, you will see a picture of Kutch Maharaja's Mercedes 320.
And if you google "Maharaja of Kutch" you will get tons of information.
I have myself seen their palace damaged after the earthquake.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 14:46   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

There was a lovely 1917 or 1919 Willys Overland four door convertible in Hyderabad at one time.

The car was lovely, in a very original condition, was dismantled for restoration and unfortunately never completed.

Its parts were all over town then the gargae people sold the car much to the dismay of the owner. I found the car for the owner. The new owner was a dealer and was trying to palm of teh car as an Oakland.

It was in bad shape by then and I wonder what happened to it. Can never forget those huge drum type headlights with the flowing Overland script on the glass.

The car had a very unusual inspection light mounted on the windscreen frame. The light was attached to a long cable with a retractable spindle. You had to pull it out and take it around the car if needed and later it would roll the cable back into its body. Real nifty.

Wonder if this car survived, maybe DKG can enlighten us. I had the nose piece for off this car lying with me till I left India.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 15:21   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 276 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

R?JF 1150 A Willys Whippet which probably spent some time in south India

BML 5365 Chevy Belair 1956 was probably actor Raj Kumars car. Car was rotten, as lying by the seashore.

My computer is acting funny, I find after returning, with regards to this website, or maybe something with the net connection. Other sites, outlook, etc are still tickety-boo but T-BHP is taking ages to open! So I can't see the first page of this thread where the pix are. But from the vehicle registration numbers I'll hazard a reply.

RJF 1150 should be a 1928 Willys Knight, you know with the Knight sleeve valve engine on Willyses of the era.

And BML 5365 '56 Chevy Belair is the cream and black pillarless one? Is indeed the ex-'Jani' Raj Kumar's car. The present owner is a very nice guy - you might have noticed him in some of the Delhi pix as he fills up a major portion of the frame - great uncomplicated company to have!
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 15:27   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

It's not your comp Prabal, the first page has way too many pictures and takes a hell of a lot of time to open unless you're on a super fast connection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
And BML 5365 '56 Chevy Belair is the cream and black pillarless one? Is indeed the ex-'Jani' Raj Kumar's car. The present owner is a very nice guy - you might have noticed him in some of the Delhi pix as he fills up a major portion of the frame - great uncomplicated company to have!
Yeah, you can notice him for sure, he's kinda hard to miss!
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 15:48   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
hillram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,839
Thanked: 950 Times
Default

Looks like a grand event..even the CM is there with a Fashion Diva !!!!!!!
hillram is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 00:02   #27
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 450
Thanked: 231 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
My computer is acting funny, I find after returning, with regards to this website, or maybe something with the net connection. Other sites, outlook, etc are still tickety-boo but T-BHP is taking ages to open! So I can't see the first page of this thread where the pix are. But from the vehicle registration numbers I'll hazard a reply.

RJF 1150 should be a 1928 Willys Knight, you know with the Knight sleeve valve engine on Willyses of the era.

And BML 5365 '56 Chevy Belair is the cream and black pillarless one? Is indeed the ex-'Jani' Raj Kumar's car. The present owner is a very nice guy - you might have noticed him in some of the Delhi pix as he fills up a major portion of the frame - great uncomplicated company to have!
For the benefit of viewers I am uploading a photograph of Mr.Ajay Kapoor, the present owner of Rajkumar's Belair.
Attached Images
 
S.B.Jatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 01:18   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 276 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
It's not your comp Prabal, the first page has way too many pictures and takes a hell of a lot of time to open unless you're on a super fast connection!

Yeah, you can notice him for sure, he's kinda hard to miss!
No, Ishan, I have a broad-band connection at the desk. My notebook of course survives mostly on a data-card all over the prithvi, which ain't as good but better than many.

But, I'm bad with connections generally in life! Never used them to advantage.

Anyway, talking about the net connection, you know what, just after I posted the little missive here in the afternoon and then went and did one in the 'best movies thread' or something like that ... pfoof ... I went completely off the blink. My data-card was in spasms having just traversed a few time-zones and the MTNL server was into instant death! So am back just now, maybe 10-15 minutes ago. And it must have been showing as 'logged in' here all this while.


Quote:
Originally Posted by S.B.Jatti View Post
For the benefit of viewers I am uploading a photograph of Mr.Ajay Kapoor, the present owner of Rajkumar's Belair.
Nice one there, Mr. Jatti. Yeah, that's what I meant, thanks.

Cheers,

P

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st April 2009 at 12:41. Reason: Lets not go off-topic and into personal comments. Thanks.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 01:37   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
iraghava's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bhaiyyaland
Posts: 8,028
Thanked: 153 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
But, I'm bad with connections generally in life! Never used them to advantage.
LOL! I think I get the point Prabal!

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st April 2009 at 12:41. Reason: Lets not go off-topic and into personal comments. Thanks.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 03:08   #30
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ann Arbor
Posts: 1,978
Thanked: 4,289 Times
Default Car ID's

Here are two "crested" cars (hate to use the word Maharaja!) that someone could maybe identify with original owner...

Willys Whippet ?



travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP Administrator Announcements 6 23rd September 2014 18:03
My photographs at an exhibition in Bangalore ajayclicks Shifting gears 10 6th June 2007 12:35
Amazing Photographs! Stratos Shifting gears 7 14th July 2004 16:20
Few simple photographs arijit Shifting gears 5 28th June 2004 17:28


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks