Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 09:08   #151
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,329
Thanked: 1,539 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
I also found a pic of the 1934 mercedes benz 130H when it was restored the first time in the 90's before it was done up again last year.Here's the pic
Wow, this is one unique benz, with respect to the front end!
OT: Is that you in the first pic. with the 70s Afro hairstyle?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 13:32   #152
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foby.sebastian View Post
Awsome thread , superb restoring works
Thank you.Hope you have gone through the whole thread.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Wow, this is one unique benz, with respect to the front end!
OT: Is that you in the first pic. with the 70s Afro hairstyle?

Yes indeed it is a unique car being the front end and the rear end as it is a rear engined car which was there only in the 130H,150H and 170H and this being the only car surviving in india.

The pics are of the owners of the car and not me.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:51   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
foby.sebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 2,448
Thanked: 1,102 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Thank you.Hope you have gone through the whole thread.





Yes indeed it is a unique car being the front end and the rear end as it is a rear engined car which was there only in the 130H,150H and 170H and this being the only car surviving in india.

The pics are of the owners of the car and not me.
I think I a late commer in visiting this thread.
foby.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 01:06   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
amit V8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: kolkata
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 189 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I spent a great day at Bumpu Sircar's works yesterday and took these photos, and fell in with this Fiat 500.
the 500 used to come to the garage just behind my house every time till 2007. after it changed hands, the car was never seen and was even absent this year at the rallytoo.

it is a beautiful piece of machine and i even had a chance to peek inside as the garage owner was known to me.

great to see her again.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 17:33   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit V8 View Post
the 500 used to come to the garage just behind my house every time till 2007. after it changed hands, the car was never seen and was even absent this year at the rallytoo.

it is a beautiful piece of machine and i even had a chance to peek inside as the garage owner was known to me.

great to see her again.

Yes indeed the car hasn't been in the rally for the past 2 years now as it had been in storage.This car when i saw her last year was in a pretty bad shape the wheels were locked and the car would just about start.Anyway its going to be a complete restoration from scratch and hopefully next year in 2011 you'll see the car by then it should be done.It belongs to the same owner who owns the pink VW beetle and the ford consul.He also has some more cars which will follow after the fiat and the ford.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 01:25   #156
Senior - BHPian
 
amit V8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: kolkata
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 189 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Yes indeed the car hasn't been in the rally for the past 2 years now as it had been in storage.This car when i saw her last year was in a pretty bad shape the wheels were locked and the car would just about start.Anyway its going to be a complete restoration from scratch and hopefully next year in 2011 you'll see the car by then it should be done.It belongs to the same owner who owns the pink VW beetle and the ford consul.He also has some more cars which will follow after the fiat and the ford.
that's really bad. i saw the car in the garage last in 2007 when it was perfect. the engine cranked up in 1 flick. anyway, waiting for the final outcome.

i small incident came into my mind today. when i was young, every time the car came to the garage, i used to see what's going on under the hood from the roof of my house. my grandma who was also fond of cars to some extent, always quarreled with me saying that the car is a beetle and i repeatedly said that it's a fiat. finally one day she asked the garage owner about the car and when she realized her mistake i was given a small treat.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 16:50   #157
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Last month, during my holidays, I was lucky to meet Bampu sir at his workshop. Apart from a great restorer, I found him to be a very nice, warm, straightforward, knowledgeable and above all a humble person.

Unfortunately I wasn't carrying any camera and missed the moment to to capture the images of rebirth of some great cars in his magical hands, but it's always next time.

I consider myself to be very fortunate being a citizen of his city and meeting him personally. My sincere thanks to Sutripta da for making all these happen.

Wish some of his works will amaze the Calcuttans during the vintage car rally.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 20:58   #158
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Some of Bumpus cars at The Statesman Rally - 2010
Attached Thumbnails
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5784.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5785.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5786.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5788.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5790.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5791.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5799.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5797.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5798.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5802.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5804.jpg  

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-img_5803.jpg  

john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 22:14   #159
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
Some of Bumpus cars at The Statesman Rally - 2010
Hi John, Good evening. I am a small doubt - does these cars owned by Mr. Sirkar or they are owned by someone and he did the restoration job.

Please don't take my words otherwise - I just wanted to know out of curiosity.

Regards

Milinda JP
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 22:31   #160
BHPian
 
john a milne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto / Calcutta
Posts: 907
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Hi John, Good evening. I am a small doubt - does these cars owned by Mr. Sirkar or they are owned by someone and he did the restoration job.

Please don't take my words otherwise - I just wanted to know out of curiosity.

Regards

Milinda JP
I should have been more specific - they are cars that he has restored for his Clients. He has some interesting cars of his own "awaiting restoration".
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 23:01   #161
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
I should have been more specific - they are cars that he has restored for his Clients. He has some interesting cars of his own "awaiting restoration".
Yes John Sir, I am also counting days to see "Study the King", "Haising the heat by Mercury"....restored to their fully glory by our respected Sarkar Sir....
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 00:35   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
shamik.bose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,684
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Sorry if I'm intruding into Mr Sircar's privacy but is his workshop in a house near South Point school? Judging by the first few pictures of this thread, I'd seen a similar workshop with many vintage cars there. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
@ Mods: please delete if inappropriate!
shamik.bose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2010, 00:47   #163
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
Sorry if I'm intruding into Mr Sircar's privacy but is his workshop in a house near South Point school? Judging by the first few pictures of this thread, I'd seen a similar workshop with many vintage cars there. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
@ Mods: please delete if inappropriate!
Mr Bose, that is the house of Mr Sanjay Ghosh, another famed restorer from Calcutta.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 05:00   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milindajp View Post
Yes John Sir, I am also counting days to see "Study the King", "Haising the heat by Mercury"....restored to their fully glory by our respected Sircar Sir....
Kidly specify which study ?We own 2 study's.




Quote:
Originally Posted by shamik.bose View Post
Sorry if I'm intruding into Mr Sircar's privacy but is his workshop in a house near South Point school? Judging by the first few pictures of this thread, I'd seen a similar workshop with many vintage cars there. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
@ Mods: please delete if inappropriate!
He is based on the outskirts of calcutta, deep south.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2010, 10:35   #165
BHPian
 
milindajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Highway
Posts: 163
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

[quote=IndrojitSircar;1681434]Kidly specify which study ?We own 2 study's.

Dear Indrojit, I know your father have 2 study and would love to see both.....

Last edited by milindajp : 14th January 2010 at 10:36.
milindajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Calcutta - Restorer/Collector - P. K. Chowdhury john a milne Vintage Cars & Classics in India 22 10th March 2015 14:03
Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Sanjay Ghosh john a milne Vintage Cars & Classics in India 123 17th January 2013 16:25
1933 Chevrolet Master Phaeton - Calcutta - Bumpu SirCar john a milne Pre-War 10 19th July 2010 10:51
Calcutta-Collector/Restorer-Gautam Mukherjee john a milne Vintage Cars & Classics in India 16 10th December 2009 04:46
Calcutta-Collector/Restorer-Partha Bose john a milne Vintage Cars & Classics in India 13 14th November 2009 13:33


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks