Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 30th April 2009, 20:49   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquecarfreak View Post
The 1938 Buick is under restoration at Pune and will be ready by Dussera. Will definately post the pictures when done.

I got a lovely very original car from Bampu. Thanks.

Thank You uncle for getting back. Is the car running ? What are the jobs that you are getting done on the buick?

Thank You
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:05   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
This is a pic of our golden Hawk when it was bought around 15-18 years ago.
I was talking with a guy last week who has just bought a Studebaker Golden hawk from one of his customers.After it was restored ...at a cost of $100,000 AUD!

The Front trim pieces are all available new as are the head light and tail light trims. The Quality is superb even though they are made in Taiwan.

You can obtain the build sheet from Studebaker for your cars,both the Coupe and the president. It will show all options ordered and who the dealer was that ordered it.
Studebaker were the agents in the US for mercedes Benz,hence the very benz like Grill adopted for Studebakers after 1956.
Regardless of which model they may be any Studebaker coupe is a valuable car and well worth restoring.

In the meantime,here is a rare Studebaker,a President Coupe in Black.
Attached Images

Star man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2009, 15:54   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star man View Post
I was talking with a guy last week who has just bought a Studebaker Golden hawk from one of his customers.After it was restored ...at a cost of $100,000 AUD!

The Front trim pieces are all available new as are the head light and tail light trims. The Quality is superb even though they are made in Taiwan.

You can obtain the build sheet from Studebaker for your cars,both the Coupe and the president. It will show all options ordered and who the dealer was that ordered it.
Studebaker were the agents in the US for mercedes Benz,hence the very benz like Grill adopted for Studebakers after 1956.
Regardless of which model they may be any Studebaker coupe is a valuable car and well worth restoring.

In the meantime,here is a rare Studebaker,a President Coupe in Black.

Hi could you please find out and give me a contact from where i could buy these

thank you
Old 5th May 2009, 09:53   #64
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Spotted last evening:

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-moto_0481.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-moto_0483.jpg

Calcutta-Restorer/Collectors-Bumpu Sircar-moto_0484.jpg
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 09:56   #65
Senior - BHPian

So its not a Golden Hawk after all.

The script on the rear is definitely not Golden Hawk looks more like Flight Hawk.

The Golden Hawks had much more elaborate tail fins than can bee seen on this car and the Calcutta Car.

Last edited by wasif : 5th May 2009 at 09:57.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 10:45   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post

The script on the rear is definitely not Golden Hawk looks more like Flight Hawk.

The Golden Hawks had much more elaborate tail fins than can bee seen on this car and the Calcutta Car.
Wasif, I dont think this (red) car was ever assumed to be a Golden Hawk. It is indeed a Flight Hawk, and was featured in BSM as such.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 12:05   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The red Hawk was never considered to be a Golden Hawk. See my post reproduced below:

16th April 2009, 19:38 harit
BHPian

This Kolkotta car is probably a Silver Hawk. A friend had seen it 10 years ago and it was shabby, and some minor modifications were done on it. There is always a chance that that was another car, but there were not too many around. BTW, was there also a Silver Hawk? Too lazy to google.
In Mumbai we have a 1956 Studebaker Flight Hawk having a straight 6 cylinder engine with automatic gearbox. That car came originally from Kolkotta.
Last edited by harit : 16th April 2009 at 19:40.

The owner of that car is a personal friend of mine.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 5th May 2009 at 12:13.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2009, 13:47   #68
Senior - BHPian

OOPS. Going by the thread name I presumed all cars discussed in it would be Golden Hawks.

Apart from the Pune car in the first few posts I think there are no other Golden Hawks in India.

Sorry about the assumption on the Flight Hawk.
Old 5th May 2009, 18:38   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The red Hawk was never considered to be a Golden Hawk. See my post reproduced below:

16th April 2009, 19:38 harit
BHPian

This Kolkotta car is probably a Silver Hawk. A friend had seen it 10 years ago and it was shabby, and some minor modifications were done on it. There is always a chance that that was another car, but there were not too many around. BTW, was there also a Silver Hawk? Too lazy to google.
In Mumbai we have a 1956 Studebaker Flight Hawk having a straight 6 cylinder engine with automatic gearbox. That car came originally from Kolkotta.
Last edited by harit : 16th April 2009 at 19:40.

The owner of that car is a personal friend of mine.

Cheers harit

Well This kolkata car is a Golden hawk and is my car which i have posted the pictures above check out the other thread (bumpu Sircar) someone has mentioned seing this car in calcutta.

@Wasif-The rear fenders are missing.The fins have been taken off.Will be getting the pics of the engine.
Old 5th May 2009, 18:41   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Well This kolkata car is a Golden hawk and is my car which i have posted the pictures above check out the other thread (bumpu Sircar) someone has mentioned seing this car in calcutta.

@Wasif-The rear fenders are missing.The fins have been taken off.Will be getting the pics of the engine.
That car needs to be made your first priority and finished at the earliest.

Its one to be driven hard not parked and left to wither away.
Old 5th May 2009, 18:42   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OOPS. Going by the thread name I presumed all cars discussed in it would be Golden Hawks.

Apart from the Pune car in the first few posts I think there are no other Golden Hawks in India.

Sorry about the assumption on the Flight Hawk.

My one is a goden hawk the reg number is there one the pic find out from the motor vehicles if you don't believe me.

Quote:
That car needs to be made your first priority and finished at the earliest.

Its one to be driven hard not parked and left to wither away.

Yes i agree to you on that.But you cannot make an assumption that it is not a golden hawk.

The Red car above is not a golden hawk because the rear fins are low as compared to the orginal car.The one from my car have been dismanteled and kept away.

Last edited by v12 : 6th May 2009 at 09:49. Reason: Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post
Old 5th May 2009, 22:36   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Wasif, the bigger fins on the Golden Hawk came about in 1957. The '56 GH had smaller fins. The fins, made of fibreglass, were also bolted on! So even if the fender had been there on her right now, the fin could still have been removed! But then, the whole fender is not there in the first place!!

Quote:
This Kolkotta car is probably a Silver Hawk. BTW, was there also a Silver Hawk? Too lazy to google.
Harit, the Kolkata car in question here is clearly a 1956, not only because the owner says so, but also going by the shape. And Silver Hawks were introduced in 1957! They also had B-pillars, while Mr Sircar's Stude is clearly pillarless. So while there may have been a Silver Hawk in Calcutta, it would be a different one and not Mr. Sircar's. And for reference/research, why are we only using Mr. Google. Whatever happened to the good old brick-and-mortar paper publications?! Lazy about that too?!

Quote:
Why are we going on conjecturing that Indrojit's car isn't a Golden Hawk? Is it because of the fins? Well, Indrojit had clarified earlier also, few days ago that is, that the fenders are removed, hence the fins are not showing (although one can make that out from the pictures oneself!) We've also just seen about the small and bigger fins on the Goldie a couple of lines above in this post, so there. The Pune car is clearly a '57 or later.

Or, is it because of the engine? Indrojit had also clarified a few days ago that she is indeed powered by the 352 cid V8 engine. Does anyone else know otherwise for a fact? Or is there any way of telling otherwise from here? So no harm in going with what Indrojit has been saying, and after he's had to say it once too often, right? Maybe, just maybe, Indrojit has got it slightly wrong somewhere (although he says that the Blue-book also says it's a Golden Hawk!), even then she would be nothing less than a Sky Hawk (which you too had correctly remarked earlier). The Sky Hawk might have been less loaded than the Goldie and therefore cheaper, but it is even rarer because fewer pieces were made to start with. So it's very very desirable too. The Golden and Sky Hawks were the only pillarless ones (no B-pillar that is) so it's not difficult to tell - just saving those search engines from being revved!!

Is there any empirical data that shows only one Golden Hawk ever coming to India?! I don't know why I get this feeling, deep down in the recess of my often-truant memory, that I remember more!

I have written in another post that I had been acquainted with Indrojit's very car way back in 1979 and I remember her as a Golden Hawk! But, instead of relying on my geriatric memory which tends to play tricks at the most inopportune times these days, I would only go by what Indrojit has been reiterating, time and again. I would really like to believe him, because I do so want her to be a Goldie after all. And from all the available clues at the moment with the rest of us, I'd say he's in the best position to know what she really is!
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 00:16   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Harit, the Kolkata car in question here is clearly a 1956, not only because the owner says so, but also going by the shape. And Silver Hawks were introduced in 1957! They also had B-pillars, while Mr Sircar's Stude is clearly pillarless. So while there may have been a Silver Hawk in Calcutta, it would be a different one and not Mr. Sircar's. And for reference/research, why are we only using Mr. Google. Whatever happened to the good old brick-and-mortar paper publications?! Lazy about that too?!

Why are we going on conjecturing that Indrojit's car isn't a Golden Hawk? Is it because of the fins? Well, Indrojit had clarified earlier also, few days ago that is, that the fenders are removed, hence the fins are not showing (although one can make that out from the pictures oneself!) We've also just seen about the small and bigger fins on the Goldie a couple of lines above in this post, so there. The Pune car is clearly a '57 or later.

Or, is it because of the engine? Indrojit had also clarified a few days ago that she is indeed powered by the 352 cid V8 engine. Does anyone else know otherwise for a fact? Or is there any way of telling otherwise from here? So no harm in going with what Indrojit has been saying, and after he's had to say it once too often, right? Maybe, just maybe, Indrojit has got it slightly wrong somewhere (although he says that the Blue-book also says it's a Golden Hawk!), even then she would be nothing less than a Sky Hawk (which you too had correctly remarked earlier). The Sky Hawk might have been less loaded than the Goldie and therefore cheaper, but it is even rarer because fewer pieces were made to start with. So it's very very desirable too. The Golden and Sky Hawks were the only pillarless ones (no B-pillar that is) so it's not difficult to tell - just saving those search engines from being revved!!

Is there any empirical data that shows only one Golden Hawk ever coming to India?! I don't know why I get this feeling, deep down in the recess of my often-truant memory, that I remember more!
Dear Indrojit, please end this with engine pics. All of us like Golden Hawks, hence the keen interest and excess discussions.

Prabal, Googling is more convenient, the old paper publications have to be gone through. Sometimes the dust gets in the throat.

I have long back changed my opinion that this could indeed be a Golden Hawk. But if we can confirm 100% it will add to our knowledge.

Empirical data, well there is a gap. In the 1950's consulates could sell off their cars directly to individuals, STC came later. One could follow up with STC about cars which had gone through their hands. But what about pre STC cars? I got a 1953 Packard Mayfair coupe which this person purchased from the American Embassy and took straight to Kerala. So the car was hardly known till we came across her.
I very much want this to be the second Golden Hawk.

Last edited by harit : 6th May 2009 at 00:18.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2009, 10:15   #74
Senior - BHPian

It is not possible to tell if the car is a Golden or a Filght Hawk by the pictures we have seen so far of it. One thing is certain is that it has to be one of these and it is definitely not a Sliver Hawk or any other Hawk.

I have been pointing out that the only actual way to be dead certian is to see pictures of the interior and the engine bay and to check the Chassis / engine number.

Personally I would love to know it is confirmed as a Golden Hawk as this car in my opinion is the original Americal Muscle Car and the granddaddy of all the musclecars that have followed since.

The purity of the design is by itself classic and timeless. This is one of those few body designs that will never age and will always look fresh just like the Ferarri 275 GTB, Prosche 911 and also the Jaguar E Type.

All in all an amazing piece of kit. Now if it was a Flight hawk it would still be an awsome machine and if it is actually a Golden Hawk then nothing like it.

I personally feel the Flight Hawk looks more purer without the add on fins of the Golden Hawk.

If it was left to me I would not bolt on the said fins and let the car look like Lowey actually wanted it to look not corrupted by the then prevailing market influences that resulted in the bolting on of teh said fins.

This car will always feature prominently in any enthuseasts list of landmark designs along with the likes of the early letter series Chryslers.
Old 6th May 2009, 10:48   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Indrojit, please end this with engine pics. All of us like Golden Hawks, hence the keen interest and excess discussions.

Prabal, Googling is more convenient, the old paper publications have to be gone through. Sometimes the dust gets in the throat.

I have long back changed my opinion that this could indeed be a Golden Hawk. But if we can confirm 100% it will add to our knowledge.

Empirical data, well there is a gap. In the 1950's consulates could sell off their cars directly to individuals, STC came later. One could follow up with STC about cars which had gone through their hands. But what about pre STC cars? I got a 1953 Packard Mayfair coupe which this person purchased from the American Embassy and took straight to Kerala. So the car was hardly known till we came across her.
I very much want this to be the second Golden Hawk.

Hi i am schdulded to be in calcutta sometime next month so will take more pics of the car and will surely upload them. Could we wait till then or will it be too late ?

I would request that if we could rest our cases till then and continue this discussion once i have more pictures of the car.

The engine has been taken off the car and we shortly going to start work on it.

I will upload all the pics once i have got them together.

Hope that is alright with everyone.