Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 6th April 2009, 20:20   #1

Default import / customs duty tariffs

I need to import some rubber mouldings and similar parts for the restoration of my car. Would anyone tell me what the import duty is likely to be? Thank you
kurundwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 20:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurundwad View Post
I need to import some rubber mouldings and similar parts for the restoration of my car. Would anyone tell me what the import duty is likely to be? Thank you
If your lucky and they let go of the parcel nothing, or else roughly 30% on landed cost that is cost of parts + shipping
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2009, 21:22   #3
BHPian

If possible, try to get the item shipped via EMS. As far as I have noticed, things shipped via DHL, FedEx and the like attract duty even for lower priced items, whereas even costlier items have come through without duty when shipped via EMS.

Of course, there is no such rule, I am just posting my experience.
ajayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2009, 06:54   #4
sat
BHPian

Quote:
whereas even costlier items have come through without duty when shipped via EMS.
Do you mean EMS speed post. No such luck with me, ordered some items from the US through united states postal service, the parcel/package is delivered to you by EMS speed post.

I received a letter from postal customs, to appear within a no of days of receiving the letter. One then had to pay the custom duty (shipping cost is added to the value of the goods)

Welcome to the Indiapost Web Site

Welcome to the Indiapost Web Site

Last edited by sat : 7th April 2009 at 06:57. Reason: added the url for speed post
sat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2009, 14:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
Do you mean EMS speed post. No such luck with me, ordered some items from the US through united states postal service, the parcel/package is delivered to you by EMS speed post.

I received a letter from postal customs, to appear within a no of days of receiving the letter. One then had to pay the custom duty (shipping cost is added to the value of the goods)
Too bad, guess I was just plain lucky then. Yet another thing you can try is to to get it shipped to your residential address as opposed to your office address.

P.S.: Yes, I meant EMS speed post.
ajayr is offline   Reply With Quote