Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 16th April 2009, 05:09   #1
BHPian

Default HAL Car

While I was going through the Travelogue section, came across this pic in a thread by fellow BHPian "Hotstuff." He apparently found the pic in HAL Museum in Bangalore.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html

HAL Car-16.jpg <br />
I wonder if this car will be the first car to be designed in India. I tried googling to find any more info but was not successful. I am posting this here in the hope that somebody would be able to give more info on this car. I hope Hotstuff will forgive me for commandeering this pic.</div>   <div style=
darklord is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 08:41   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord View Post
While I was going through the Travelogue section, came across this pic in a thread by fellow BHPian "Hotstuff." He apparently found the pic in HAL Museum in Bangalore.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...bangalore.html

Attachment 125791

I wonder if this car will be the first car to be designed in India. I tried googling to find any more info but was not successful. I am posting this here in the hope that somebody would be able to give more info on this car. I hope Hotstuff will forgive me for commandeering this pic.
darklord: WOW! Great find. It seems to have bits and pieces from all over the place. I wonder what engine powered it- if indeed there was one. Yeah they ventured into tractors, so the DNA was lurking somewhere.
netchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 10:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,
If you look closely, the car has more than a passing resemblance to an Amby. Sometimes Ambys were not done up not very acccurately and they could resemble this car.
It does not look nice.
There are no aeronautical influences in the car as one could expect from an aviation company like Voisin, Farman. Of course, we have not seen the interior.
Why was it not developed further and put in production? Probably because Birla would have none of it. They managed to block all companies desirous of entering India, starting with VW who wanted to bring the bug, Renault the R4, and about 6 others.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 11:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
If you look closely, the car has more than a passing resemblance to an Amby. Sometimes Ambys were not done up not very acccurately and they could resemble this car.
True harit! I too feel the same- parts borrowed from the Amby bin!
Probably to cut down cost on spares? as was done in the 80s with the Sipani Montana/D1 that shared parts with the M800.

Quote:
Why was it not developed further and put in production? Probably because Birla would have none of it. They managed to block all companies desirous of entering India, starting with VW who wanted to bring the bug, Renault the R4, and about 6 others.
True again! Ironically, while the market is relatively free now with the influx of more cars, most of them are not what we classic enthusiasts would've craved for around 4 decades ago!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 11:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

A lot of writeups on the history of automobile manufacturing in India talk about this HAL Car as the first attempt to design a vehicle in the country, but NONE of them have pictures, specifications or even any comment beyond this passing mention.

I've read about this in different places, but this is the first time I'm seeing a picture of the same - thanks darklord. It does look very Amby-ish, though.

Last edited by Steeroid : 16th April 2009 at 11:33.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 11:55   #6
BANNED

By any chance, is that a redesigned Herald Bonnet on the car?

This looks alot like an Opel Kadet/Moskowich too.

Last edited by Cyrus43 : 16th April 2009 at 11:56.
Cyrus43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:12   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
By any chance, is that a redesigned Herald Bonnet on the car?
While it may look so by the width, the mudguards/wheel arches all are a giveaway sign of a redseigned Amby front end, which may have been cut down at the bottom, hence the low height.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:27   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
While it may look so by the width, the mudguards/wheel arches all are a giveaway sign of a redseigned Amby front end, which may have been cut down at the bottom, hence the low height.
I was talking only with regards to the Bonnet. As no other indian car of the time had that ridge in the centre.
Old 16th April 2009, 12:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was talking only with regards to the Bonnet. As no other indian car of the time had that ridge in the centre.
Besharam, all Fiats had it at that time!
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:34   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Besharam, all Fiats had it at that time!
ARRE!! Not like the one that is in the Picture!!!
Old 16th April 2009, 12:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
ARRE!! Not like the one that is in the Picture!!!
It is very very similar if not exactly the same. Do check it out on any of your 4 (or 5 if 1144 is to be included) Fiats.

Regards,
Adheesh
Attached Thumbnails
HAL Car-fiat_1100d.jpg  

Last edited by adheesh : 16th April 2009 at 12:45.
adheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 12:56   #12
BANNED

Ohh GOD!!!!

Has a general retardation set in??
Attached Thumbnails
HAL Car-dsc01309.jpg  

HAL Car-image00001.jpg  

Old 16th April 2009, 12:59   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
harit : There are no aeronautical influences in the car as one could expect from an aviation company like Voisin, Farman.
I am not expecting the car to resemble any of HAL's aircraft of that time. Or vice-versa .. Let's look at the pioneering effort that the people put in, at that time.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 13:07   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Ohh GOD!!!!

Has a general retardation set in??
Ahem. You started it

But the ridge on the HAL car doesn't match that of a Herald also na? I dont follow what you are trying to say.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 13:21   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I am not expecting the car to resemble any of HAL's aircraft of that time. Or vice-versa .. Let's look at the pioneering effort that the people put in, at that time.
Pioneering effort indeed! I would call this an adaption. The guys who made passenger Wwagons out of Mahindra Jeeps were more pioneering and built something that was used by millions, rather than this adaption. At least they could have had a streamlined body, where aeronautical influences would have shown up. And there were cars being built in India which could be called poineering, look at the Jairam. Perhaps they thought that if they used the Amby parts bin excessively, Birla would allow them to proceed with their development. I do not know, just guessing.
But surely the body could have been more imaginative, being and aeronautical firm.
And no, I did not expect them to build a Messerschmidt Kabinenroller, a rolling cockpit.
Cheers
harit

Last edited by harit : 16th April 2009 at 13:24.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote