Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 21st May 2009, 12:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.sw View Post
I spotted this perfectly restored vehicle at Mavanalla at the bottom of the Segur ghat road near Ooty last February.
yes , really good car, seems to be a CHEVROLET Fleetmaster.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 13:17   #17
BHPian

Until around 1973 when the oil crisis made petrol prices shoot through the roof, there were many large American cars in Ooty - Chevrolets and Plymouths and Studebakers. They were taxis and the drivers claimed they were better than Ambassadors at tackling hill roads. I remember going to Ooty as a boy and travelling to 'highest point' (or is it called top station -the highest point in Tamil Nadu) in one such car. It stalled on the way up and the driver told me to keep my foot on the brake while he got out to put a stone under a rear wheel!
gkrishk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2009, 13:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

The Baby Hindustan looks very pristine and immaculate.
hillram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2009, 23:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I believe this is the same car. Can't remember where I got the pictures from, probably the forum itself.

It is definitely a Hillman. Going by the shape of the booth it is definitely a 1954 Hillman. The earlier models had a different shape for the booth. There is a 1954 model in Chennai - belonged to a gentleman who is 83 years of age and owned it for over 30 years - and he is very passionate about it. It is perhaps an early 1954 model since it has a side valve engine. Mohaan
mohaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 11:50   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post
Until around 1973 when the oil crisis made petrol prices shoot through the roof, there were many large American cars in Ooty - Chevrolets and Plymouths and Studebakers. They were taxis and the drivers claimed they were better than Ambassadors at tackling hill roads. I remember going to Ooty as a boy and travelling to 'highest point' (or is it called top station -the highest point in Tamil Nadu) in one such car. It stalled on the way up and the driver told me to keep my foot on the brake while he got out to put a stone under a rear wheel!
most of the taxis in ooty were vangaurds
imperial.s.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2009, 16:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaan View Post
It is definitely a Hillman. Going by the shape of the booth it is definitely a 1954 Hillman. The earlier models had a different shape for the booth. There is a 1954 model in Chennai - belonged to a gentleman who is 83 years of age and owned it for over 30 years - and he is very passionate about it. It is perhaps an early 1954 model since it has a side valve engine. Mohaan
Booth ?? or is it Boot
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 19:44   #22

Default Vintage & Classic Car Rally - Ooty

Hi Guys,

The Nilgiris Vintage & Classic Car Association - Rally and Car show was held on 30th May 2009.

I'll try to post some pics of the rally soon (once i downsize the images).

Heber
Ooty.

(btw the Red Baby Hindustani in the pics is mine)
heber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 21:25   #23

Default Nivicca - 2009

Here are some pics from the Nilgiri Vintage & Classic Car Rally 2009.

Heber
Attached Images

heber is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 14:06   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Spectacooty!

Heber,

The show seems a treat for classic 4wd enthusiasts. The Jeep wagon is a treat, as is the Land Cruiser FJ40 (albeit with balloon tyres) and the GAZ vehicle. I believe there were a fair number of WW Jeeps/Fords/Bantams at the show. Also a pristine condition Series I Land Rover. Any pics of that?

Also (just a question, no offence meant), the show didnt have any prizes for originality? There are a fair number of vehicles which seem to be off their original specs. For example, the Austin A40 Devon (a car close to my heart) seems to have non-original (though period) wheels. The foglamps also mar its lines. The FJ40 has horrendous rims. The Dodge has wheel caps missing.

Your Baby Hindustan is in awesome condition though. Congrats on maintaining it so well!
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 23:41   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Booth ?? or is it Boot
I am sorry - it is boot. Mohaan
mohaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 15:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

The person sporting the long mustache donning the black overalls and blue denim is the brake inspector i was mentioning to you guys in my previous post in the same thread. The Jeep wagon belongs to him, if not mistaken he had entered with some of his other cars too.
Lucky.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 16:04   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here's a pic. someone took of a ph 1 Vanguard taxi junkingg away in Ooty (although from the MSZ regn. it seems to be originally a Madras one- I guess once the cars that were taxis became obsolescent there, they were mostly pushed off to the districts)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1154478-post27.html

It seems to be a '52-54 Hillman Minx.

- lovely old Bungalow btw! Just the right kind of atmosphere to be home for a classic!
yes it is a hillman , i have some pics of this car , will search for them and put it up.
siddartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:13   #28
BHPian

Wow.
Its a small world. I felt so very bad about missing the RED FIAT when i was there last there early last month. I heard it come by the first time around but 'twas too quick to get a snap, the 2nd time around an auto guy stopped b/w the camera and the FIAT. Great too see it here.

I got ( read Stole ) a snap of a Wolsely, a black FIAT and another at a workshop. Will post em here tomorrow.
gendarmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:52   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely pics. again! 'wish even the powder blue Herald seen in one of the pics. was fully photo'd though!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:17   #30
BHPian

SIR,
It must be a bliss driving and watching in the backdrop of beautiful surroundings.
Actually this kind atmosphere is best to enjoy the classics and the crowded
metros. The Blue dodge Kingsway looks great. I feel that Dodge Kingsway of
1956 was the last of beautiful majestic car to come to India.

B.ANANT
NAGPUR.
CLASSICCAR is offline   Reply With Quote