Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 12th May 2013, 21:04   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars

Some information about the late Actor Prithviraj Kapoor's,Opel Olympia

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-years-005.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 12th May 2013 at 21:12.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 09:38   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Some information about the late Actor Prithviraj Kapoor's,Opel Olympia
When was this article published?

To be honest I think its rather embarassing to display a car in that condition proudly proclaiming it to be the legends personal car. I understand that restoration is a big step, but atleast it can be kept clean, and stored well.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 12:00   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Some information about the late Actor Prithviraj Kapoor's,Opel Olympia...........
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
........ its rather embarassing to display a car in that condition proudly proclaiming it to be the legends personal car. I understand that restoration is a big step, but atleast it can be kept clean, and stored well.
I have seen this car in similar condition in around 1976 when I had gone to visit the site with the contractor as he was to build a building for us. Prithvi Theatre was under construction at that time. I wonder what the condition of that car would be now because it should have rotted away by now unless someone took preservation steps. Restoration may not be too difficult, btw. A similar car has just been restored, it belongs to a fellow t-bhpian. And some parts may be available with the restorer.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 20:18   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
When was this article published?

To be honest I think its rather embarassing to display a car in that condition proudly proclaiming it to be the legends personal car. I understand that restoration is a big step, but atleast it can be kept clean, and stored well.
Karl, I am not precisely sure, but this is from the late 1970's or early 1980's.
And this is likely to have been published in a magazine called SUN, which was quite popular then.
I fully endorse your views when you say, the car's condition does not befit the legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have seen this car in similar condition in around 1976 when I had gone to visit the site with the contractor as he was to build a building for us. Prithvi Theatre was under construction at that time. I wonder what the condition of that car would be now because it should have rotted away by now unless someone took preservation steps. Restoration may not be too difficult, btw. A similar car has just been restored, it belongs to a fellow t-bhpian. And some parts may be available with the restorer.

Cheers harit
Actually, the owners should have some inclination towards restoration. It is likely that they are informed by ill-informed people that the car is too old and cannot be made good again, so let it rot.
The same was the fate of the Ford Model A , (Champion car as the Ganguly Bros called it) which was used in Chalti ka Naam Gaadi.This was parked in Gauri Kunj, Juhu (Kishore Kumar's residence) and I have its picture of the 1980's- will post that soon.
Meanwhile, an Olympia kept running at Nagpur by a CIVAA member.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-dsc09657.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 21:04   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Some good memorabilia from the past - many cars are seen parked outside the Elphinstone Picture Palace, Kolkata. Third from left is a Rolls Royce:

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-years-010.jpg
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2013, 22:57   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

An image of New Market, Calcutta from yester years - note the HM domination

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-newmarketcalcutta.jpg

(delcampe.net)
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 05:10   #187
BHPian

Is there anyone on this forum with a hydraulic CitroŽn, such as the one in the first photo in this thread? The DS and ID were made from 1955 to 1975, the CX which replaced it from 1974 to 1990 and there was the sublime GS mid-range model with its alloy flat four from 1970 to 1985. The Peugeot cars which followed were heavily compromised, made from all-Peugeot parts.

The DS is increasingly recognised as the finest car ever made. It was usually killed by corrosion, as many post-war cars are - it was designed for dryish, warm France. When rot didn't end their lives prematurely, their toughness and fine engineering came into its own - half a million km was considered to be not a great 'mileage' for them. Its predecessor was the Traction Avant, the first mass-produced car with front wheel drive, chassis-less construction, modern handling with a wheel at each corner and hydraulic brakes on all four wheels. That was quite something in 1934 - and the last few 6-cylinder long wheelbase models had self-levelling gas-over-oil hydraulic suspension for the rear axle.

Last edited by FlatOut : 21st May 2013 at 05:18.
FlatOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2013, 09:22   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatOut View Post
Is there anyone on this forum with a hydraulic CitroŽn, such as the one in the first photo in this thread? The DS and ID were made from 1955 to 1975, the CX which replaced it from 1974 to 1990 and there was the sublime GS mid-range model with its alloy flat four from 1970 to 1985. The Peugeot cars which followed were heavily compromised, made from all-Peugeot parts.

The DS is increasingly recognised as the finest car ever made. It was usually killed by corrosion, as many post-war cars are - it was designed for dryish, warm France. When rot didn't end their lives prematurely, their toughness and fine engineering came into its own - half a million km was considered to be not a great 'mileage' for them. Its predecessor was the Traction Avant, the first mass-produced car with front wheel drive, chassis-less construction, modern handling with a wheel at each corner and hydraulic brakes on all four wheels. That was quite something in 1934 - and the last few 6-cylinder long wheelbase models had self-levelling gas-over-oil hydraulic suspension for the rear axle.

There are a handful of DS survivors in India, you can read more about them here.

http://www.dsinasia.com/

Also, for interest

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-...nt-15-6-a.html

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ars-india.html
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013, 08:24   #189
Senior - BHPian

I was delighted to read in today's TOI PAGE 8 ( BANGALORE EDITION ) :

"Soon uniform road tax to make vehicles cheaper" - ' Buying big cars would be cheaper soon as the Centre is likely to decide uniform"Lifetime" road tax for cars, taxis and two-wheelers. The state governments have agreed to fix the tax at 6% of the sale price before VAT. '

in my opinion, re-registration and tax charges for vintage cars purchased and transferred from other states into states like Karnataka would reduce wonderfully.
vinay kamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2013, 17:31   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

A news from The Hitavada, Nagpur of 30/05/2013 stating that nearly 100 old cars set off for the Beijing- Paris run, from the suburbs of Beijing . The month long Paris Motor Challenge will see the cars traverse through the Gobi desert, Mongolia to Russian back-roads, Ukraine,Slovakia, Austria, Switzerland and then to France.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-692013.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 10th June 2013 at 11:03. Reason: Correcting date
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 13:13   #191
Team-BHP Support

This piece appeared in the Bangalore edition of New Indian Express

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-d200d19a9fd54482f89eade4af69c50e.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2013, 20:02   #192
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

The latest Auto India has articles and pictures from Harit.
  • 20 Great Cars that were in India
  • 20 Great Moments of Indian Motorsports
Thanks Harit for the wonderful pictures. Was surprised that your Lancia did not feature in the Motorsports article considering that very few of the racing cars like your Lancia survived.

Among the great cars, the Marmon and 1932 Chrysler Imperial are spectacular.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2013, 11:20   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Something spotted in the DNA Jaipur edition.
No more titled, he's writing another book. Looking forward to that with interest. We will all benefit from new snippets

The car pictured is one of two such Thunderbirds in India known to me. I expected that car to show up at that event in February, sadly it did not.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-thunderbpg1.jpg  

Attached Images

harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 18:03   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

This appeared in Times of India 14th July.
The content is full of errors, maybe this was used to fill up blank space.

The Bugatti Royal was rare, only 6 built and now some more replica's were created, but the engine was a rail car engine, not aircraft.

The rare Ferrari was the 250 GTO, not the California Spyder of which around 50 were built.

The Dodge Coronet R/T convertible pictured is actually a Chevrolet Camaro, and maybe not a convertible.

Come on Times of India, what's wrong with you guys. Could you not show this to Adil before publishing?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-rarest-carstbhp.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 17th July 2013 at 18:05.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2013, 18:42   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This appeared in Times of India 14th July.
The content is full of errors, maybe this was used to fill up blank space.

The Bugatti Royal was rare, only 6 built and now some more replica's were created, but the engine was a rail car engine, not aircraft.

The rare Ferrari was the 250 GTO, not the California Spyder of which around 50 were built.

The Dodge Coronet R/T convertible pictured is actually a Chevrolet Camaro, and maybe not a convertible.

Come on Times of India, what's wrong with you guys. Could you not show this to Adil before publishing?

Cheers harit
Complete rubbish and incorrect info in the article
kasli is online now   Reply With Quote