Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 15th January 2014, 16:32   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Here is an old story from 1992 on the Vanishing Sunbeam, ......No Cheers KPS
Amazing, na? Another tale of yore which could be in the History thread.
This is what I know about the story, to the best of my knowledge.
This Sunbeam was brought from Calcutta by Mr. Shashi Kanoria and participated in the vintage car rally. The car was black and pale yellow in colour. It was an immaculate car, freshly restored, and was brought in a truck to Mumbai. It got slightly scratched while unloading. I met Mr. Kanoria, at that time he said that the car was rare, and he showed photos of the unrestored car being pushed out of a garage when found.
After the rally, the car went to Choksi at Juhu, it was at his forcourt for a while. Then it vanished. A few months later it appeared in a magazine called something like Thoroughbred and Classic cars which is somehow connected to Classic and Sports Cars after a merger/aquisition or whatever. In that article they state that the car was found with a Maharaja in Indonesia. It sported those same distinctive horns. I gave the magazine to Nitin (never got it back) and he was to complain. Anyhow, that car was gone.
The Jaguar mentioned is the same one which was lying in Dadar, was white in colour, had no books, may have been a Jamnagar car. That car also landed up with Choksi, got a Delhi number DNB something and was exported.
The Standard Avon mentioned belonged to a Sikh gentleman from Cuffe Parade. The car was given for repairs to a garage in Hinduja college lane. Subsequently it was offered for sale. One fine day Mr. Choksi went there, had a look and bought the car. As this scandal broke, somehow this car was saved and is today owned by none other that the owner of VCCCI, Shri Dossa. How the transaction came about is not clear to me.
One person supposedly involved was a Mr. Anand who was hounded. I understand that he was not involved as told to me by his friend. But he had a Jaguar SS 90 in Delhi which is missing till today, at least I don't know where it went.
At that time I had heard about a Riley, don't know which car was involved, I had not seen it nor was there any reference about a missing Riley.
The same Mr. Choksi had with him an engineless Alfa Romeo 1750 which is now in Indore, and there is some dispute with that car.
Most of the stuff written above has been mentioned by me on t-bhp before.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 09:07   #227
BHPian

Hi,

This appeared in todays TOI bangalore edition. An exhibition is being held at the Metro art center where this picture is being displayed. Could the experts please identify the car?

Name:  firstcar.JPG
Views: 922
Size:  24.9 KB

Caption reads; A rare shot of the first motor car in Bangalore on St Johnís Road.

Regards,

Srinand.
srinand is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2014, 17:47   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Some facts and figures from the 1970's and 1980's noted in my handwriting here. The first chart is based on the figures revealed by the Association of Indian Automotive Manufacturers (AIAM), incidentally the earlier name for SIAM perhaps, that is in existence now.There are five manufacturers listed here viz. Hindustan Motors (HM), Premier Automobiles Ltd (PAL), Maruti Udyog Ltd (MUL),Standard Motor Products of India Ltd (SMPIL) and Sipani Automobiles Ltd (SAL). Their market share in % is also indicated.
The R & D expenses with respect to the % age of turnover is also shown below the chart. It shows that HM has spent 0.23 % and PAL 1.30 % on their R&D efforts during 1982-83.
At the bottom are some figures that figured in The Economic Times,Bombay on October 2, 1988 showing some statistics from PAL and SMPIL. Evidently, these were the last months before closure in respect of SMPIL.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-page3-150.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th January 2014 at 17:49.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2014, 22:36   #229
BHPian

This might just pass off in this thread.

As Volkswagen prepares to cease production of its iconic Camper van, the company ran this full page print ad bidding it a misty-eyed farewell in the Sunday edition of German newspaper Bild.

It's a love-letter to the Camper, (or Kombi), detailing its history from German workman's van to hippy favorite with the statement "It isn't driven.
Attached Images

Automaton is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 07:32   #230
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an article on Dr. Ravi Prakash (Doc) and plans for his long standing pet project "The Auto History Museum"

http://www.bangaloremirror.com/colum...w/29367493.cms

Quote:
Stories like these will find place in the ambitious 25,00,000 sqft automobile museum Prakash, a well-known vintage car collector (he has about 300 cars and bikes), will launch in Bangalore by the end of next year.
Quote:
The idea is to give visitors a sense of history. Having documented about 100 museums across the world, Ravi Prakash places special emphasis on the "detailing". One will walk through capsules and understand the period when the displayed cars were built, through nuggets of history that will be displayed along with the costumes/clothes people wore.
Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2014, 22:24   #231
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an Hindu article on the Jayaram GT from 2004
Quote:
Jayaram was so committed to his pet project that his bedroom had a door that led straight to his workshop. There were times when he got up in the middle of his sleep, and went straight to the garage and work on the brainwave that had just struck him. His garage was in the shop floor which itself was a sight to behold. It was totally self-sufficient with a beautiful seat, workrooms, and all the tools arranged in an orderly manner. It boasted tinkering equipment, a lathe, and welding apparatus.
http://www.hindu.com/mp/2004/03/15/s...1502220200.htm

This home built car as seen in the Bangalore Club Rally taken from this forum

Name:  blore club day 14..JPG
Views: 1067
Size:  70.6 KB

Amazing car driven by passion and commitment of one man

Cheers

KPS

Last edited by KPS : 1st February 2014 at 22:27.
KPS is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 08:41   #232
Senior - BHPian

Here is a media article in midday about the 21 gun salute rally in Delhi.
The highlight of the article is the Hudson from Mumbai which has been claimed as the only surviving Hudson in the world.
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imageuploadedbyteambhp1391310638.844198.jpg
the mole is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2014, 20:57   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pictures from the past of old cars. The coloured image is from Times of India Mumbai and shows that as late as 1998 we had Fiat Selects/ SS's plying as daily drivers.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-scan-00004.jpg

One of the largest congregation of Ambassadors ever, in a picture with me

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-scan-00008.jpg

The Fiat

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th February 2014 at 21:08.
Old 13th March 2014, 23:16   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

From The Economic Times of 15/07/1999 (Mumbai edition)

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-scan-00017.jpg
Old 19th March 2014, 15:43   #235
Senior - BHPian

2 captures form the local Deccan Herrald paper of 17th March

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-img_20140317_075810755.jpg

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-img_20140317_075712205.jpg
manishalive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2014, 18:52   #236
Distinguished - BHPian

Heritage Automobile Association of Assam organised Guwahati V& C Rally of February 2014, as covered by the Assam Tribune, Guwahati.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-a2014-027.jpg

Name:  a2014 026.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  154.0 KB
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2014, 10:46   #237
Team-BHP Support

Not the ideal thread, but I simply must share this Indian talent - the work is outstanding.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-tanaypatel1.jpg

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-tanaypatel2.jpg

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-tanaypatel4.jpg

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-tanaypatel7.jpg

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-tanaypatel8.jpg

http://www.petrolicious.com/this-you...d-italian-cars
karlosdeville is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2014, 16:36   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Amazing, na? Another tale of yore which could be in the History thread.
This is what I know about the story, to the best of my knowledge.
This Sunbeam was brought from Calcutta by Mr. Shashi Kanoria and participated in the vintage car rally. The car was black and pale yellow in colour. It was an immaculate car, freshly restored, and was brought in a truck to Mumbai. It got slightly scratched while unloading. I met Mr. Kanoria, at that time he said that the car was rare, and he showed photos of the unrestored car being pushed out of a garage when found.
After the rally, the car went to Choksi at Juhu, it was at his forcourt for a while. Then it vanished. A few months later it appeared in a magazine called something like Thoroughbred and Classic cars which is somehow connected to Classic and Sports Cars after a merger/aquisition or whatever. In that article they state that the car was found with a Maharaja in Indonesia. It sported those same distinctive horns. I gave the magazine to Nitin (never got it back) and he was to complain. Anyhow, that car was gone.
The Jaguar mentioned is the same one which was lying in Dadar, was white in colour, had no books, may have been a Jamnagar car. That car also landed up with Choksi, got a Delhi number DNB something and was exported.
The Standard Avon mentioned belonged to a Sikh gentleman from Cuffe Parade. The car was given for repairs to a garage in Hinduja college lane. Subsequently it was offered for sale. One fine day Mr. Choksi went there, had a look and bought the car. As this scandal broke, somehow this car was saved and is today owned by none other that the owner of VCCCI, Shri Dossa. How the transaction came about is not clear to me.
One person supposedly involved was a Mr. Anand who was hounded. I understand that he was not involved as told to me by his friend. But he had a Jaguar SS 90 in Delhi which is missing till today, at least I don't know where it went.
At that time I had heard about a Riley, don't know which car was involved, I had not seen it nor was there any reference about a missing Riley.
The same Mr. Choksi had with him an engineless Alfa Romeo 1750 which is now in Indore, and there is some dispute with that car.
Most of the stuff written above has been mentioned by me on t-bhp before.

Cheers harit
the standard mentioned is actually Chetan Anands SS1 sport tourer (not ss90) and the Riley was an RME drophead coupe, ex jodhpur. Chetan sold both for a total of 5 lakh rupees which was an astronomical sum then. he took payment by cheque which ultimately saved him. he had no hand in the export of those cars. he tried his best to sell the cars locally in delhi but nobody was willing to pay his price. he wanted 3 for the SS and 1 for the Riley. i have seen both cars and the SS was parked at my house for several weeks in the 80s when he was getting repair work done at his house in patel nagar.
awini is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 02:43   #239
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Pics of some vintage cars and HAL built car / buses.
Attached Images

v12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2014, 09:52   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Here's a parking lot from October 1961 in Coventry, UK. This picture has appeared in Practical Classics, UK, Spring 2009 issue.
It has many cars that can be very easily identified as they were seen on our roads as imports. There are some Morris Oxford Series II's and III's around, a Morris 10 (here as the Hindustan 10) Ford Zephyrs, Ford Anglias (1940's and 1950's),Austin Minis, a Citreon, Hillman Minxs, a Jaguar and many, many more.Sadly the image had to be cropped to fit in here.
Attachment 157133
Nice ! and quite similar to the group photo taken at any Bangalorean Classic Vintage car rally ! ; )
vinay kamath is offline   Reply With Quote