Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 1st March 2017, 18:20   #466
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars

In 1957 a pair of young riders on their Ducatis passed through India. Here is some coverage.

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-img_1454.jpg

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-img_1455.jpg
karlosdeville is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 17:16   #467
Distinguished - BHPian

Apologies if already shared before- just found on youtube!

Are any of the cars familiar or still known to exist?

Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2017, 23:26   #468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Apologies if already shared before- just found on youtube!

Are any of the cars familiar or still known to exist?
Thanks.

The Rolls Royce in the opening scenes (carrying Jinnah and Lord Mountbatten) is the Bahawalpur Silver Ghost, Chassis 70TM. Fortunately still very much alive; and in fine fettle.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 10:08   #469
BHPian

The Standard (Triumph) Herald was given a new engine in the UK in 1962 and called the "Vitesse". An article about the same and also the relaunch of the Vanguard under the "Ensign" name is below. Taken from a UK magazine circa 1962

Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imag2438.jpg
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-imag2439.jpg
vanam is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 07:13   #470
Senior - BHPian

Sad news : (

DH 26.03.2017

"Bengaluru: The Home department has requested the Transport department to ban the movement of vehicles which are more than 15 years old to prevent accidents and check pollution in the city.

"The police have observed that old vehicles are involved in more accidents due to mechanical faults. These vehicles are also contributing to increasing pollution," Home Minister G Parameshwara told reporters on Saturday.

The minister has made a request to his Cabinet colleague, Transport Minister Ramalinga Reddy to ban vehicles which are over 15 years old, in Bengaluru. Soon, officials of the Home and Transport departments will deliberate on banning such vehicles.

Replying to a question on traffic jams due to protests at the Freedom Park, the minister said that the government has not yet taken any decision to identify a separate venue for protests outside the heart of the city."
vinay kamath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2017, 21:34   #471
Senior - BHPian

Mar 31 2017 : The Economic Times (Bangalore)
THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY - The Last of the Restorers

Time seems to have made old-time equipment and professions irrelevant. But their sheer rarity has given them a unique aura. Ipsita Basu and Divya J Shekhar report
DN Srinivasa Murthy used to compare gramophones to the finest of Swiss watches. He sold vinyl LPs and records for as low as `100 at his Seethaphone Company on Avenue Road.Murthy's children did not actively pursue his unprofitable passion. Neither did he take anyone under his wing. The impending loss of a rare skill never worried this last gramophone maker of Bengaluru. He once told ET: “I will continue making and repairing gramophones till the end of my lifetime.“
Murthy passed on a few days ago. He remained true to his word.

In an era where technological updates are weekly occurrences, the life of a handful of old-timers still revolve around mechanisms that are now collectors' pieces. Their personal stories remind us of an everyday life that was and their passion to keep that alive.While the existentialist question about the future of the gadgets and its keepers looms large, a new generation appears to have recognised the inherent charm -not to mention their high value -of these bygone objects.

“I am not here to make money . I love giving life to old-time units. I painstakingly repair each clock that has stopped, knowing I can make it tick again,“ says horologist Shaik Mehmood, busy at his workshop in a bylane on Commercial Street. His three-decade-old self-taught skill has gone into repairing antique grandfather clocks and cuck oo clocks. He has not kept track of the number of machines he has repaired but several anecdotes for an illustrious past. The Daspalla Royal Family (of Visakhapatanam), for instance, trusted only Mehmood with its antique clocks.Collectors from far and wide turned up at his doorstep with repair requests.

Today , as Mehmood's children chase corporate dreams, the 53-year-old is happy to impart his skills to youngsters.While he laments that cheap grandfather clocks made in China are in the market, he takes pride in a handful of loyal clients who seek his services from as far as Whitefield, Yelahanka and Bidadi and are ready to pay up to `10,000 to set one in order.

Once the time-keeper to the Mysore Maharaja, Regal Watch Company on No.1 Brigade Road is now reduced to only repairing watches. The shop, which serviced the British in the Cantonment since 1936, now relies on two technicians * Simon D'Souza and Abdul Mujeeb * to stay ticking. Both these men were trained by technicians employed by the shop's late owner Ramamurthy . “We get our salaries on time, so it is not a problem. I guess when it is time for us to retire, we will find school dropouts who are willing to learn from us,“ D'Souza said.

In HAL, eight kilometres east of Brigade Road, is a similar survival story of typewriter mechanic Ramu Venkataraju. Witnessing the gradual takeover by computers, Venkataraju -who repaired all brands of typewriters including Godrej, Halda, Facit, Remington, Alter and Olympia in his 28year career -was forced to learn repairing printers. He, however, still has a minuscule clientèle for typewriters. “My clients are government colleges, women polytechnics and secretarial courses where typewriting is a subject. A handful of orders come from courts,“ he said.Venkataraju receives only five to ten repair requests a week, down from 20-25 a day . He charges between `30 and `50.Necessity , he said, dictates that he keep his passion alive, while balancing costs with the printer repair business.

The digitisation scare that replaced many skilled hands with circuits dented music as well. John Bosco, who once accompanied his father to tune acoustic pianos at colonial Anglo-Indian homes, churches, convent schools and upscale clubs, is updating his skills. He now goes to training workshops conducted by digital piano manufactures to keep in tune with technological developments. His rare skill -which combines a heightened auditory sense and the me chanics of 15,000 moving parts -goes into maintaining around 600 of the 1000 surviving acoustic pianos in the city.

While time seems to have made old time equipment and professions irrele vant, the sheer rarity of the former has given the latter a unique aura. This is particularly so in the field of vintage cars. What else explains a 30-year-old applied commerce graduate from Melbourne get his hands dirty inside the hood of a 1933 Ford?
Christopher Rodricks has a thriving nine-year-old career in restoring vintage cars at Hennur . “With imports becoming cheaper, you can get vintage cars from junkyards abroad and have them restored at a quarter of the price here,“ he says.Not many institutes offer professional training in restoration and the hardcore mechanical labour tires down youngsters who learn on-the-job, Rodricks who works all by himself, points out.
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-rodricks.jpg  

vinay kamath is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 13:10   #472
Senior - BHPian

Times of India 3-5-2017
Attached Images

vinay kamath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 13:13   #473
Senior - BHPian

"A car and a story that never get old"
Maleeva Rebello
May 03 2017 : The Economic Times (Mumbai)

Ravi Shastri recently remembered the summer of 1985 in Australia, when he won a luxury car for his performance in the World Championship of Cricket
Former cricketer Ravi Shastri has made the catchphrase “like a tracer-bullet“ famous. But the moment he felt a tracer bullet hit him was back in 1985. The allrounder scored 182 runs and took eight wickets in five matches in the World Championship of Cricket in Australia. He was voted as the `The Champion of Champions' and was awarded an Audi 100 sedan. It is one of the unforgettable moments in Indian sport, and miraculously, still has high recall value.
By a special order of the then Prime Minister Rajiv G a nd h i , I nd i a n customs waived the heavy import duty the car entailed.Shastri narrated the story -not for t he f i rst time -during a rec ent c a r launch.

“I still get goose bu mp s whe n I think about the moment,“ Shastri said. “I was being interviewed during the presentation ceremony when I suddenly heard a roar from the crowd and turned back to see that the entire team was sitting on my car. I stopped the interview in between and asked for the keys. I immediately took the wheel and saw that there was enough fuel for a small drive. I then took a victory lap with the entire team sitting on the car. It's a memory that will stay with me forever.“

At that time, the cricketer said he did not have a driving licence. “While others play drive shots at the MCG, I actually drove a car and that too without a licence. My eyes while batting in that tournament went to mid-wicket, I knew I was the front runner. Javed Miandad who was the captain of Pakistan at that time, told me that someone from his team was going to win it. I told him, `Take a walk', as I wanted the car more than ever. More than 10,000 people had gathered at the docks when the car was brought into India.“

The car is still in pristine condition and Shastri takes it for a drive every Sunday if he is in Mumbai. “The car is one of my prized posses sions and it reminds me of one of the most glorious mo ments of my life,“ Shastri said. “Even my father had to ask me [for permission] be fore he took it for a drive. Till today, I say the car doesn't belong to me, it belongs to India, to the Indian cricket team.“
Attached Images

Old 4th May 2017, 18:14   #474
Senior - BHPian

May 04 2017 : The Economic Times (Bangalore)
TOO OLD TO ROCK N ROLL
Lijee Philip

They say old is gold but a proposal to ban vehicles older than 15 years on city roads may have an unlikely casualty -vintage cars. However, there is global precedent for a solution
At least twice a year, Shrivardhan Kanoria comes out on the streets of Kolkata with his prized posses sion -a Renault AX from 1908 (in photo). One of the occasions to bring out the vehicle he inherited from his father is, of course, the annual vintage car rally in city. The Renault AX has led the rally for decades and Kanoria has been enthusiastically carrying on the tradition.
Kanoria, however, is apprehensive that the January 2017 vintage car rally may well have been the last of the series English daily The Statesman had first flagged off in Kolkata in 1968. The doubts on whether the 50 th edition will run its course are because vintage cars may soon be off the roads -along with all other vehicles that are older than 15 years.

T h e N at io n a l G r e e n T r i b u n a l (NGT) has asked the Delhi government to ban these vehicles and other large cities may be their next targets.

“The move to ban older, polluting vehicles from the streets of important cities such as Delhi is logical and it is a good idea to keep pollution under control.But a complete ban will surely kill the historic vehicle movement, universally recognised as a cultural heritage of a country,“ points out Bangalorebased collector Ravi Prakash, who also heads the FHVI, the Indian national federation for historic vehicles which seeks to preserve, protect and promote motoring heritage within India.

For Prakash, the problem is that the government does not differentiate between any 15-year-old vehicle used on a regular basis and a vehicle of historical importance. The latter too are old vehicles, but they are the heritage of our country, he contends.

Harit Trivedi, a Mumbai-based col lector of historic vehicles, adds that such bans tar all vehicles with the same brush -be they historic and classic vehicles or garbage trucks -as long as they're over 15 years old, they have to be taken off the roads.

Trivedi estimates that there are about 10,000-odd historic vehicles in India currently, a rather insignificant number compared to a vehicle population exceeding 20 million cars and 60 million two-wheelers. “Yet, in terms of cultural heritage, these automobiles are significant, as India's historic vehicle movement is one of the most important in Asia,“ points out Trivedi.

And the range of cars and motorcycles that India has (from 1886 to 1987) provides for one of the richest canvases of historic vehicles in the world. These straddle the entire spectrum from the simple and inexpensive Ford Model Ts and Austin Sevens; to fancy Rolls Royces, Hispano -Suizas, Delages, Mercedes Benzes, as well as some extremely rare cars such as Invictas, Lanchesters, Maybachs and Delahayes.

Meanwhile, prices of Delhi registered vintage cars have fallen between 5% and 7%. A 1956 Dodge Kingway or a 1957 Studebaker President, for instance, which commanded `7 lakh and `8 lakh, respectively, a couple of years ago, are now available for around `6.5 lakh and `7.5 lakh respectively. Many owners of vintage cars have moved out their cars from Delhi and parked in neighbouring states of Punjab and Uttar Pradesh.

Says Gautam Sen, vice president of the Fédération Internationale de Véhicules Anciens (FIVA), which seeks to protect historic vehicles through legislative monitoring, “There is no provision in the Indian Motor Vehicles Act for historic vehicles, unlike in Europe and the US. As these vehicles are seen as the heritage of a country, they need to be preserved.“ According to FIVA, which has more than 85 members worldwide, a `historic' vehicle is not simply an `old' vehicle. “FIVA and its representative federation in each of the European countries has been lobbying with the EU to find a clear definition of what is a `historic vehicle,' as we have been calling for a consistent, Europe-wide exemptions from low-emission-zone restrictions for this category of vehicles,“ adds Sen.

For instance, since July 1, 2016, Paris banned vehicles manufactured before 1997 from being used during the week.The French federation affiliated to FIVA, the Fédération Française des Véhicules d'Epoque (FFVE) convinced city officials to exempt historic vehicles from the ban.

Thus, any vehicle that is 30 years old or older, and wea ri ng a spe cial `collectible vehicle' badge, is a l lowed i n t he city at a l l ti mes.

Sen feels the agreement between FFVE and Paris officials could prove inf luential in convincing cities like Delhi to consider similar bans to make exemptions for historic vehicles.

T he `historic vehicles' make up only an insignificantly small fraction of road vehicles, hence their contribution to air pollution is as good as negligible, says T rivedi.

Worldwide, total number of historic vehicles add up to a million, whereas the worldwide population of vehicles in use is over a billion. Thus, historic vehicles don't even add up to 0.1% of the world's vehicle population. Since these vehicles are generally used for pleasure, and mostly on weekends, emissions from these culturally important vehicles are statistically irrelevant, point out their owners.

Till recently, efforts at engaging the government had been through individuals and local clubs in Delhi. It's only recently that the historic vehicle fraternity in India decided to combine their voices in the form of a newly-formed federation, the FHVI (in February 2017) initiated by Ravi Prakash, and representing over a dozen clubs across the country, plus three vintage car museums.FHVI will be working towards getting the government to not only exempt historic vehicles from the impending ban on their use in the major cities, but also to get exemptions from both pollution control and mechanical fitness tests, both of which do not make sense for vehicles that could be over 100 years old.
Attached Images

Last edited by vinay kamath : 4th May 2017 at 18:16.
vinay kamath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2017, 18:17   #475
Senior - BHPian

May 04 2017 : The Economic Times (Bangalore)
When the old still reigns king
Bloomberg

The just-introduced Dodge Challenger Demon has some new tricks up its sleeve, but models from the early 1970s are still considered a better investment
T he 8 4 0 -horsepower Dodge Challenger SRT Demon is the latest, fire-breathing installment in Dodge's 47-year-old Challenger line, with an impressive performer with a zero-to-60 mph sprint time of 2.3 seconds.
But the Challengers from the 1970s have more style. If fact, the 1970-74 Dodge Challengers are more popular than any other classic muscle cars to date.

Dodge's muscle-car challenger

As Ford and General Motors experienced wild success with the Mustang and Camaro, respectively, Dodge developed the Challenger that we know today. It came in six engine variants -from an inline-six to a huge Hemi -and sold 83,000 units in the first year, at a starting price of $2,953 for the hardtop to $3,500 for the RT convertible.

Since then, Challengers have appeared in pop culture and on racing podiums alike. Baby boomers are the biggest fans, though the cars continue to command interest across all generations.

They hold their value

They also make good investments, on a par with other muscle cars of the era. In the past five years, the median value of all Challengers from the 1970 value of all Challengers from the 197074 era has risen 28 per cent. In the past year alone, that value has risen a modest but respectable 4 per cent, to $34,700.

The world-record price paid for any 1970-74 Dodge Challenger was for a 1970 Dodge Challenger RT Hemi Convertible that fetched $1,815,000 at a Mecum auction in Kissimmee, Fla, in 2016 (the model was one of nine in the world). For a 1970-74 Challenger hardtop, the record is $ 691,200 for a 1971 version that sold at the same auction a year earlier.

Prices vary because the cars themselves vary. The presence of a `shaker' hood (the air intake mounted directly over the car's engine) can increase the price of a car 20 per cent; a four-speed transmission will raise it 15 per cent.The exterior colour of the paint canmake a significant difference in value and saleability, too.
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2017, 22:48   #476
Senior - BHPian

The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has denied permission to run a petrol powered 1996 Rolls-Royce on Delhi and NCR roads, on account of an order banning over 15-year-old petrol driven vehicles. The owner, Ashok Kumar Jain, purchased the Rolls-Royce petrol model in 1995 and was imported in 1996 making payment of 112,350 pounds (approx. Rs 1 crore as on that date) along with customs duty.

Read more at: http://www.drivespark.com/four-wheel...gt-022463.html
Old 21st June 2017, 20:30   #477
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Read a small snippet in today's Mumbai Mirror that the famous Kundanmal Petrol Pump at Peddar Road will be shut down in a couple of weeks.

Last edited by Rehaan : 23rd June 2017 at 17:29. Reason: Typo :)
v12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2017, 14:53   #478
Senior - BHPian

This appeared in the Hello Magazine's UK edition, the article is about Padmanabh Singh of Jaipur (the scion of the former royal family)
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-19399341_484052808604447_3983688631619646385_n.jpg  

KartikeyaL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 21:03   #479
Senior - BHPian

"Pampered car models parade on Whitefield streets"
Deccan Herald 07-08-2017
Bengaluru: Like fine wine, some things only get better with age, and this certainly holds true for automobiles.

The Whitefield Vintage Car Rally, conducted by the 112-year-old Whitefield Club on Sunday, proved it once again.

On a drowsy Sunday morning, there is no better sight for an automobile enthusiast than a rally of vintage cars. The rally was flagged off from the Whitefield police station and it went around Whitefield with display stops at the Palm Meadows Club and Marriott Hotel, before the 3.5-km drive culminated at The Whitefield Club.

Over 28 cars were a part of the rally and people were awestruck by their beauty. The whirr of the engines was just exhilarating. Some of the standout models that took part were the 1951 Chevy Belair, the 1957 Mercedes 219 belonging to Sulaiman Jamal, Rupali Ravi Prakash's 1956 E-Type Jaguar, 1940 Lincoln and the two-seater Sunbeam Alpine. Other crowd-pullers were the Chevy Fleetmaster and a Humber Armoured car. A few vintage bikes were supposed to take part in the rally as well, but mostly Royal Enfields turned up.

"Since the turn of the century, our club epitomises the leisurely pace, ample space and cherished traditions that Whitefield is known for," says Sulaiman Jamal, executive committee member of the Whitefield Club and a veteran vintage and classic car collector. "Amidst the chaos of current day life, we hope the rally will remind us to slow down, appreciate Bengaluru's glorious past by recreating the look and feel of old Whitefield and do our bit to keep Whitefield beautiful," he said.

Whitefield certainly turned into a paradise for automobile lovers and they couldn't have asked for anything better on a Sunday.

DH News Service
P.S: I have added pictures from Economic Times and Times of India as well. The first picture is of another vintage car rally held at Ooty on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-vin4.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by vinay kamath : 7th August 2017 at 21:14.
Old 22nd August 2017, 08:33   #480
Senior - BHPian

Deccan Herald 22-08-2017

"Ageless Beauties Galore"

Reaching Dharmasthala just as the temple gates closed for the afternoon break was a tad disappointing. Given the fact that it was a long weekend, the highways were crowded and it was a rather tiring drive. Hoards of pilgrims were already queuing up to obtain a darshan of Lord Manjunatha in the evening session at this popular Shri Kshetra.

Deciding to return at the opening time, I wandered around a bit and a short walk from the temple complex led me to a road where I could see an old but well-maintained aircraft.

This was enough motivation for me to take the path ahead and as I moved closer to the aircraft, I could see the board with the words ‘Manjusha car museum’ outside a totally unassuming black gate on the opposite side. My initial disappointment quickly turned to excitement for I knew I had found a way to engage myself fruitfully till the gates of the temple opened.

Vintage vehicles

Founded by Dr D Veerendra Heggade, the collection of automobiles at the museum is in stark contrast to the unpretentious entrance of the place. The museum is a treasure house of classic and vintage vehicles that include chariots, carts, motorbikes and about 50 cars. The vehicles have been restored, preserved and maintained impeccably, giving visitors and automobile lovers a totally wonderful experience. The collection of carts and chariots is amazing and exclusive. They include the veteran open, wooden hand-drawn carts to the English style covered chariots that are replete with leather cushioned seats and old world lamps. Neatly displayed in a group, this part of the collection is surely a treat for antique and history lovers.

The collection of cars includes several all-time favourites like the Renault, Rolls-Royce, Cadillac and Ford. There are also elusive models like the Pontiac, Morris and Austin. Display of rare vehicles like the pre-1920 Fordson Tractor and the 1924 Rolls Royce from England make this place popular with automobile aficionados. The 1936 Adler from Germany with its rare four-cylinder 10 horse power engine and the 1931 Fiat from Italy are among the several beauties in this priceless collection. Austin and Mercedes-Benz cars that date back to the 1920s and 1930s provide visitors the opportunity to ‘travel’ back in time while visualising these mini cars that symbolised luxurious living during the yesteryears. A four-cylinder 1926 ambulance vehicle from the US is another unique vehicle on display.

There are several vehicles that not only boast of famous owners but also are of historical and political significance. Many cars that have been donated to the museum were once the personal possessions of famous Maharajas and spiritual leaders. There is a 1943 model Ford Jeep, which is believed to have been used in the Second World War. With a 14 horse power engine, this olive green beauty has all the equipment that befits a battle vehicle.

The 1930 Morris Oxford was an erstwhile taxi that was used by devotees to reach Dharmastala. The icing on the cake here is the 1929 model Studebaker that was used by none other than Gandhiji when he toured Karnataka and Tamil Nadu. There is also a certificate presented by the Father of the Nation to the chauffeur of this car.

The collection spans continents and all cars are housed carefully within enclosures with informative boards displaying the salient details of each piece. Maintenance is a continuous activity which is meticulously undertaken to preserve the antique as well as functional value of the vehicles. The cars are also sent on vintage rallies and each one of these master pieces are passionately preserved for the future generations to witness. Apart from cars, there is also a limited collection of rare motorcycles from the days of yore.

All forms of photography is strictly prohibited within the museum and touching of the exhibits is also not allowed. The museum is open from 8.30 am to 1 pm and 2 pm to 7 pm.

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/...es-galore.html
Attached Thumbnails
Media Matter Related to Vintage and Classic Cars-dharmasthala.png  

Attached Images

Last edited by vinay kamath : 22nd August 2017 at 08:43.
vinay kamath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote