Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 6th June 2009, 14:12   #1
BHPian

Talking Humbers in India

Dear Friends,

My father is the proud owner of this beautiful 1932 "HUMBER SUPER SNIPE" . It has been immaculately restored. It has been in the family for almost 37 years now. It has participated recently at the rally held at Jodhpur after a long gap of almost 10 years.
Any information related to the car will be highly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Humbers in India-humber-crop-3.jpg  

Sidharth 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 19:14   #2
BHPian

Thats a Beautiful vehicle you have there Sidharth. When was it restored (Looks fresh)? Can you post some interior, engine bay and front pics please?
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 00:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

some detailed pictures will be better. an extremely beautiful car.
amit V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 10:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidharth 72 View Post
Any information related to the car will be highly appreciated.
That is a very well kept car for starters. What kind of imformation are you looking for ??

Was the car recently restored ? We would love to see more pictures of the interior, engine ,rear etc.

One thing I noticed was the body line has a distinct similarity to Riley sedans of the same period. Is there any kind of plate on it giving the name of the coachbuilder.

Wasif
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 13:37   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sidharth,

Nice Humber you got there. Please check with your dad, this car came to Mumbai about 20 years ago or so and was entered in a Vintage Rally over here. It had the same colour combination and was in as good condition at that time. I remember this car clearly since I myself have a few Humbers.
Any history available? Any royal connections?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2009, 15:29   #6
BHPian

Harit, nice to know about your collection of Humbers. Even though I dont have much knowledge about vintage cars, I just love the beauty of these machines . Can you post some pics of your collection and some information about these beauties please?

Last edited by mnhegde : 7th June 2009 at 15:32.
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 11:11   #7
BHPian

Dear M N Hegde,
It has just had a fresh quote of paint for the rally, otherwise it has been like this. I do not have much pictures of interiors or engine bay. But will post them once I visit Jodhpur.

regards
Sidharth Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
Thats a Beautiful vehicle you have there Sidharth. When was it restored (Looks fresh)? Can you post some interior, engine bay and front pics please?
Old 8th June 2009, 11:16   #8
BHPian

Dear Wasif,
I was wondering if I can procure photos of other similar cars or info regarding if any one else have a similar car or cars from the same company.
Its coach work has been done by "THRUPP & MEBERLY". The car has recently been painted new and some upholstery work was carried out. I will surely post some more pictures shortly of the car.

Cheers!!!
Sidharth Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That is a very well kept car for starters. What kind of imformation are you looking for ??

Was the car recently restored ? We would love to see more pictures of the interior, engine ,rear etc.

One thing I noticed was the body line has a distinct similarity to Riley sedans of the same period. Is there any kind of plate on it giving the name of the coachbuilder.

Wasif
Hi Harit,

Yes Harit, you have a sharp memory, this car did come to Mumbai for the VCCCI Rally hosted by Castrol some 20 years back. It has always been of the same colour combination and condition.
I would love to see Humber's you have. Can you post some pictures of your Humber's. I will update on the History also but no Royal connections.

Cheers!!!!!!!
Sidhart Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Sidharth,

Nice Humber you got there. Please check with your dad, this car came to Mumbai about 20 years ago or so and was entered in a Vintage Rally over here. It had the same colour combination and was in as good condition at that time. I remember this car clearly since I myself have a few Humbers.
Any history available? Any royal connections?

Cheers harit

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Technocrat : 8th June 2009 at 15:01. Reason: Please read the note in Post, Thanks
Old 8th June 2009, 12:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sidharth.

Thats one of the great coachbuilders who provided bespoke coachwork for the high end marques like RR, Bentley, Daimler etc.

There are a few Humbers in Hyderabad that I had seen but of the post war vintages. There is a Super Snipe Limo with a collector which used to belong to the Nizam. This car was attacked with a bomb at one time and I am told its scars can still be seen.

Further there was a Snipe or two around.

Do post detailed pics of your car.

Wasif
Old 8th June 2009, 14:22   #10
Team-BHP Support

Here are 2 Humbers owned by Harit, one a rare Landaulette, the other a conventional limo, if there is such a thing. I think they are Pullman (Pullmen?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/952937-post1583.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/953433-post1585.html

The Landaulette truly is a sight to see, very grand and imposing, very royal with the red pilot light too.

Harit, the car will really look terrific with better numberplates.

Siddharth, I have some neat brochure scans of your car, shall put them up over the weekend when I get home.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 14:35   #11
Senior - BHPian

Beautiful car Siddharth. There was one late 40's Super Snipe up for grabs in Bombay a few years ago. It was off white and parked in a basement at Nariman Point. I wonder if it ever got sold as the owner was always in two minds
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 14:36   #12
BHPian

Thanks Karlos,
Indeed a very grand Landaulette. Love to have those brochers over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here are 2 Humbers owned by Harit, one a rare Landaulette, the other a conventional limo, if there is such a thing. I think they are Pullman (Pullmen?)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/952937-post1583.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/953433-post1585.html

The Landaulette truly is a sight to see, very grand and imposing, very royal with the red pilot light too.

Harit, the car will really look terrific with better numberplates.

Siddharth, I have some neat brochure scans of your car, shall put them up over the weekend when I get home.
Old 8th June 2009, 14:55   #13
Team-BHP Support

This Humber was also used years back in an English film right? I forget which. Sea Wolves was it?

Here is a Humber in Pune. She was lying on the roadside for a long time, now undergoing restoration since some time. I think she was DLH regd.

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 5333
Size:  123.8 KB
Name:  02.jpg
Views: 4204
Size:  116.3 KB
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2009, 15:07   #14
BHPian

Yes, it appeared but not in Sea Wolves, it was used at Udaipur for the shooting of "Jewel in the Crown" an English TV serial and also has appeared in two hindi movies "Pale Khan" and "Main Balwan".

Quote:
This Humber was also used years back in an English film right? I forget which. Sea Wolves was it?

Here is a Humber in Pune. She was lying on the roadside for a long time, now undergoing restoration since some time. I think she was DLH regd.

Attachment 145639
Attachment 145640
Old 8th June 2009, 16:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 145639
Attachment 145640
Are you sure its a Humber cause it looks more like a Hillman to me