Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 19th June 2009, 05:19   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
For us who own a vintage or classic car or more of them, the problem is that these are mostly used during weekends. Cars for daily commuter use by owners are few and rare.
Most other components of the car can get acclimatised to once a week use, for the better or worse, but for the battery. It protests and cannot withstand non-use or infrequent usage. As such, most of our old cars are refitted with alternators and that saves the dynamo-like running for a good charge. Despite the alternators getting fitted, the batteries tend to wither and show tendencies of impotency.
I use my Landmaster once or twice a week, preferably during weekends, when the traffic is somewhat sparse. Sunday mornings and afternoons are the best preferred for drives. But despite my nearly 10 plus kilometers running every week, the battery does not remain in fine fettle.I have a charger that props up the battery charge once in a while. I also plan to get a cranking handle to aid starts. But for larger engines of 1500cc and so on, one must be careful while using the cranking handle that tends to give "backs" or reverse jerks. I am also told that side valve engines need more effort from the self starter/ battery for starts as compared to overhead valves or overhead camshafts.
Do give your opinions and musings on battery maintenance of your favourite cars.
Invest a good quality battery tender.,check out CTEK SWEDEN AB - The smartest battery chargers in the world I have seasonal cars.Due to extremes of weather with long winters all my summer vehicles are hooked to ctek battery tenders and put in storage for at least 5 months in a year.when summer i put them back on the road It always start on first crank.There are differences in between battery tenders and trickle chargers.Some of them do damage the battery as they over charge.one need a good quality and ctek is the best, all expensive car models e.g. ferrari,lambo ,porshe,mercedes all of them has contract with ctek as original equipment supplier
TRAUMASURG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:52   #17
BHPian

Default My 1947 Dodge Custom - Fluid Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaan View Post
I like your practical thinking. As an owner we should just turn the key and the car should start - no messy issues. Besides you are not likely to need a battery charger but have one ready. Is your Dodge a fluid drive ? Put up a picture please. Mohaan
Yes she has the Fluid drive system. Can start up even with the gear engaged and dont need to put into neutral even while stopping at a redlight
Attached Images

manishk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 23:41   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Yes she has the Fluid drive system. Can start up even with the gear engaged and dont need to put into neutral even while stopping at a redlight
Thank you for the picture. Your gears will fall like butter - much better engineered than GM cars. Your shock absorbers are not integrated with the suspension - can be changed in a moment or so. I guess you have made it 12 volt. You should put in a twin master cylinder - just be safe. It is scary to have so much dependence on the brake alone. My dad had a 1941 Chrysler - when the brake failed it was lucky that there was no traffic around - those days - he crawled back with the hand brake. Mohaan
mohaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 19:19   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohaan View Post
Thank you for the picture. Your gears will fall like butter - much better engineered than GM cars. Your shock absorbers are not integrated with the suspension - can be changed in a moment or so. I guess you have made it 12 volt. You should put in a twin master cylinder - just be safe. It is scary to have so much dependence on the brake alone. My dad had a 1941 Chrysler - when the brake failed it was lucky that there was no traffic around - those days - he crawled back with the hand brake. Mohaan
Ahem, what does this have to do with upkeep of battery?

BUT, if this car has been converted to 12V, the fluid drive will not work as those electrical parts are 6V. In that case a resistor would have to be put. And 6V batteries tend to get weaker than 12V much faster.
About the 1941 Chrysler of Mohaan's dad, any pictures? I have an old pic of a 1942 Chrysler, what was the registration number? I think that that picture was put up in the "guess the car thread".
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 13:34   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Ahem, what does this have to do with upkeep of battery?

BUT, if this car has been converted to 12V, the fluid drive will not work as those electrical parts are 6V. In that case a resistor would have to be put. And 6V batteries tend to get weaker than 12V much faster.
About the 1941 Chrysler of Mohaan's dad, any pictures? I have an old pic of a 1942 Chrysler, what was the registration number? I think that that picture was put up in the "guess the car thread".
Harit the Fluid Drive works perfectly fine with the 12v. No problems at all.

Mohan - I didnt quite understand your comment about the suspension. What do you suggest i should get done?
You're right about the brakes. Thats the one thing thats always troubled me since i bought the car. Even though i've had them changed twice, not completely satisfied. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I was cruising at marine drive at about 50 miles when some crazy nut in a beamer cut in front of me and then came to a halt. Had to literally stand on the brake to bring my car to a halt - only an inch away from the beamer. Ever since that day she's been pulling to the left every time i brake.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishk123 View Post
Harit the Fluid Drive works perfectly fine with the 12v. No problems at all.

Mohan - I didnt quite understand your comment about the suspension. What do you suggest i should get done?
You're right about the brakes. Thats the one thing thats always troubled me since i bought the car. Even though i've had them changed twice, not completely satisfied. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I was cruising at marine drive at about 50 miles when some crazy nut in a beamer cut in front of me and then came to a halt. Had to literally stand on the brake to bring my car to a halt - only an inch away from the beamer. Ever since that day she's been pulling to the left every time i brake.
You don't have to do anything about the suspension. What I meant was that to change shock absorbers you don't have to remove the suspension, springs etc like in the Chevrolet. It is a telescopic shocks like the ambassador - can be removed separately without disturbing the suspension arms. The fluid drive has no electrical items. Your Dodge gearbox I guess is a manual one. Chrysler gearbox is a semi-automatic and has an electrical component to change the gear - it is on the outside of the gearbox. Regarding your brakes you have to approach it systematically. First verify the tubes are not blocked and that oil is flowing freely. For this you have to jack up and check each wheel. If that is done then check wheel cylinders are not jamned. If one side is sticking the car will pull to the opposite side. Without doubt you have to see the lining and drums are ok. Adjusting is also a point. I think you have a cam on each brake shoe. Many cars don't have this piece of engineering. It has to be adjusted so that maximum area of the shoe comes in contact with the brake drum. Chrysler corporation cars have very good engineering - you have to enjoy the benefits. Mohaan
mohaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 15:35   #22
BHPian

Thanks for that bit of advice. Will definitely look it up. I'm a completely clueless when it comes to the mechanicals of the cars. But hopefully will pick up some things here.
Old 8th September 2009, 21:29   #23
BHPian

anybody who is having a battery charger at home can provide details of a good battery charger in the market. When I approached one of the manufacturers they asked me several questions about the battery - how much AH - and so on. I have a normal battery EXide one put on my Premier Padmini. I do not know what it is. Can anyone throw some light on it
gururaj r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 23:24   #24
BHPian

I have 3 cars. 1951 Daimler Consort with dynamo, 1984 Mercedes 240D with alternator and a 2002 Esteem AX. Due to my travel needs I am out of India for 6-8 months at a time. My cars do not have much problem in starting. Daimler has an Amron battery and the Merc and Esteem have Excide.
I normally check the voltage before cranking. 12V should be about 11.9V for starting, but it will function till 11.6. If the battery is below this I charge the battery for about 2 hours and that does it. The battery charger technology has improved so much that it is no longer bulky. None of my cars can be bump/push started as Daimler is fluid driven, Esteem is automatic. The Merc is too big to manupulate without power steering. My house is at an elevation and if the cars are not on their own power they cannot get back into the compound.
I would recomend an investment in a battery charger. All electric systems will perform better with a good battery. This is very importent as we may not find new electrical components.
Ramanna
Ramanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 20:52   #25

I have a few Electronic trickle chargers made by Bosch Germany. Great chargers, as it senses drop in charge and automatically charges up. I Think they cost about Rs 3000.00 each about 8 years ago. If you want part or model number, I can look at my unit and give it to you.
Electra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 05:42   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururaj r View Post
anybody who is having a battery charger at home can provide details of a good battery charger in the market. When I approached one of the manufacturers they asked me several questions about the battery - how much AH - and so on. I have a normal battery EXide one put on my Premier Padmini. I do not know what it is. Can anyone throw some light on it

Check out this site Batterytender.com - Home of All Your Charging Needs I am not sure if it is available back home in India but this is one of the best after market product ,I highly recommend it other product is ctek like I have mentioned earlier
Good luck happy motoring
TRAUMASURG is offline   Reply With Quote