Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2009, 09:54   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default Hyderabad Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 14 June 09

I have come across reports of a Vintage and Classic Car rally which took place in Hyderabad last weekend.

Can anyone please add details and pictures on it. Some US diplomat was involved in the flag off and there were pictures of a few Austin 7 cars to be seen.

Stanher, Hillram and DKG any further info on this please.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 20:43   #2
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I have come across reports of a Vintage and Classic Car rally which took place in Hyderabad last weekend.
Stanher, Hillram and DKG any further info on this please.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I was not at all aware of this!!

Until today, when my mech. showed me a teeny tiny report on the event by a local telugu paper on the rally, with an all the more teeny tiny pic. of a red Austin 7 with a Madras (MSC ----) regn. and a foreigner (most likely the US diplomat mentioned) admiring it.....flanked by a teeny tiny write-up in telugu that was read out to me (as I can't read telugu, can only speak it)
I know nothing other than that! I'll ask hillram if he does.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2009, 18:56   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Unfortunately, I'm afraid I was not at all aware of this!!

Until today, when my mech. showed me a teeny tiny report on the event by a local telugu paper on the rally, with an all the more teeny tiny pic. of a red Austin 7 with a Madras (MSC ----) regn. and a foreigner (most likely the US diplomat mentioned) admiring it.....flanked by a teeny tiny write-up in telugu that was read out to me (as I can't read telugu, can only speak it)
I know nothing other than that! I'll ask hillram if he does.
What, you didn't believe me the first time, had to get your mechanic to coroborate??

Whats up with DKG, very quiet these days, he should have further info on this as he is well conncetd in vintage circles
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 00:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
What, you didn't believe me the first time, had to get your mechanic to coroborate??
Uh, what I meant was, I had no idea about this rally going on until I was showed said newspaper article.

And, I read your post in this thread only further on after that, hence my reply.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 01:32   #5
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,953
Thanked: 2,723 Times
Default

I too enquired. It seems that the rally was organised by Dr. Venkat Rao. Also, it seems that the Hyderabad collectors are split into 2 groups. Participation was negligible. How sad. Not even a Packard with working wipers!
Fortunately Mumbai still has only one club. Hopefully it will remain that way, only the club should start functioning as one, not as a oneman show.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2009, 10:12   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I too enquired. It seems that the rally was organised by Dr. Venkat Rao. Also, it seems that the Hyderabad collectors are split into 2 groups. Participation was negligible. How sad. Not even a Packard with working wipers!
Fortunately Mumbai still has only one club. Hopefully it will remain that way, only the club should start functioning as one, not as a oneman show.

Cheers harit
How sad. No APX 110 at the event. The wipers don't work on it ??

The big question is where is DKG these days.

Wasif
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:34   #7
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
How sad. No APX 110 at the event. The wipers don't work on it ??

The big question is where is DKG these days.

Wasif
very much around, but a little busy away from the net.

How have you guys been. Anything interesting uncovered? Harit you should know if any ! This weekend someone told me about a "practically brand new" American classic with only 900 miles locked away in a palace somewhere. Jeez talk like that gets my imagination running wild. I can smell the leather !!

BTW isn't it boring to see the same old Packard (APX 110) for the past 42 years at practically every event held in town?? The rate at which I have been attending events with our Packards soon people would find the now rare Heralds a more exciting sight than this pair. Harit I was hoping you will treat us soon to the Dhanrajgir Packard right here in Hyd (rival groups not withstanding - so far I have managed to stay out of the politics successfully being friends with both sides and attending rallies organised by either group)

Now who was wondering if the wipers on APX 110 really work?

Doc did call me for the event (I admire his zest in organising events tirelessly, he just did the drag this past weekend) but sadly I couldn't attend the vintage car rally (an exception to the rule I might add) sponsored by the Hyderabad Central Mall

Wasif any headway on the mystery Duesy? Between you and Harit I can bet the locks on that Duesy's garage won't hold for long. BTW guys before someone misunderstands I meant that as a compliment to your "sherlock holmes" skills.

Interestingly after quite sometime on TBHP I am running out of interesting posts to share !! (sign of limited knowledge and exposure !!) so hope you don't mind but will have to take up my position as the proverbial monkey on the wall for a while.

Last edited by DKG : 22nd June 2009 at 14:50.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 17:22   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Welcome back, DKG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
BTW isn't it boring to see the same old Packard (APX 110) for the past 42 years at practically every event held in town?? The rate at which I have been attending events with our Packards soon people would find the now rare Heralds a more exciting sight than this pair.
Ahaaa!!! At laast, support from the better-known classic enthusiasts from our own twin-cities for "underdogs" like the undermined little Heralds!!

Thank you sir, from the bottom of my heart! I'm touched by your gesture (seriously!)

May your tribe increase!

If only said cars had this kind of support when they were far more common a sight here, though...!

Anyways, there still is hope left.

As for the rally, I'm aware that some member of the DHAA too are members of this other club ('not sure about the name, I only know that Dr. Venkat Rao is a prominent member, and from what I was told about the events, I reckon they encourage only 'high-profile' classics)

Last edited by Stanher : 22nd June 2009 at 17:23.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 22:50   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Hi Shyam, you know I never mentioned this before but I am a huge fan of Heralds. I've had the pleasure of association with a Herald from brand new (a childhood friend's dad had one) and what a car that was. From the special and distinct aroma of its interiors to its absolutely awesome gearbox and delightful engine this car was an outright sportscar in sedan guise.

As a new car she was totally rattle free too, something I rarely found again on other Heralds I sat in.

As long as my friend's dad used the car she ran totally trouble free. When he finally started using it my friend ruined it with a half a dozen shunts and the occasional broken axle

There used to be an older nice double green (if I remember correctly) convertible too which surfaced occasionally. Haven't seen that car in ages. Wonder if it survived. My friend's Herald was a very visible car in the seventies, cream coloured, they lived on Raj Bhavan rd
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:12   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Hi Shyam, you know I never mentioned this before but I am a huge fan of Heralds. I've had the pleasure of association with a Herald from brand new (a childhood friend's dad had one) and what a car that was.
There used to be an older nice double green (if I remember correctly) convertible too which surfaced occasionally. Haven't seen that car in ages. Wonder if it survived. My friend's Herald was a very visible car in the seventies, cream coloured, they lived on Raj Bhavan rd
Sorry for going but when it comes to Heralds, I can't help it! hehe!

Nice to know you are a Herald fan too! About time since you got one then!
However, If I were you, I would've grabbed off the friend's Herald and tempted him with a M800 or something!
I'm not familiar with a double-green convertible, although wasif did mention a green conv. that was in Marredpally, owner used to drive down to Sec'bad club in it. Is it the same car you mention?

Do you recall the number of your friend's car? (You can pm me) I might have seen it. 'hope (very common word to use when it comes to Heralds nowadays!) it's still around!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 10:19   #11
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Do you recall the number of your friend's car?
I vaguely remember it to be a 3 digit no.

They did change to a 800. I remember one of the reasons cited for not retaining the car was difficulty with finding spares

The green convertible was the first shape with the square headlamps. Very goodlooking car

We never had a Herald, I wouldn't mind getting a convertible. BTW who in Hyderabad got the Dharampur car?

Last edited by DKG : 23rd June 2009 at 10:20.
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 14:14   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,936
Thanked: 366 Times
Default

I guess DKG is talking about the white convertible with his friend in Adersh Nagar whcih has the Triumph badges on it.

The green convertible is the one I had mentioned too earlier.

Also Kewal Kant Gir, DKG's uncle, also had bought a cream coloured Herald which was turned into an open car and used frequently to drive to the Club.

Not sure if they still have it though.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 16:18   #13
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I vaguely remember it to be a 3 digit no.
They did change to a 800. I remember one of the reasons cited for not retaining the car was difficulty with finding spares

The green convertible was the first shape with the square headlamps. Very goodlooking car
BTW who in Hyderabad got the Dharampur car?
Yes, majority of the then Herald owners had changed to 800s back then!
As for spares, I was under the impression that those were easier to get back then compared to now- there were a few of the old shops in Hyd. and Sec'bad still selling new spares......plus you could always find much more at Afzulgunj, as that was (sadly) when the maximum numbers of cars being scrapped there were Heralds!

Uh, btw, sorry but I didn't get by what you mean by "square" headlamps??! 'never saw those on Heralds! Or do you mean slanted headlamps (ie. the mark2 Herald)?

There are 2 of the Dharampur Heralds in Hyd.- one is the phantom grey Dharampur -6, with a gent in Padmarao nagar, Sec'bad.....another a white one with an MEV regn. (plates fitted over the red dharampur plates) owned by the owner of Curewell Hospitals, Lakdikapul. Both were bought from an Afzul Sharief in Bangalore, who I believe, had first bought all the Heralds in that stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I guess DKG is talking about the white convertible with his friend in Adersh Nagar whcih has the Triumph badges on it.
Nope, can't be. DKG said his friend's father had owned that Herald from new....plus it had a 3 digit no. Whereas the adarsh nagar car (APU 4126) was first owned by a Parsi lady, from (I think) Secunderabad, before it was bought by the present owner. His son uses it mostly, used to also bring it to the DHAA rallies initially.

Last edited by Stanher : 23rd June 2009 at 16:25.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 11:27   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian
 
DKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 3,706
Thanked: 928 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Also Kewal Kant Gir, DKG's uncle, also had bought a cream coloured Herald which was turned into an open car and used frequently to drive to the Club.

Not sure if they still have it though.
Sold sometime back. Do you remember Rashid Ali Khan's car? That's the one I was telling Shyam about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Yes, majority of the then Herald owners had changed to 800s back then!
As for spares, I was under the impression that those were easier to get back then compared to now
Not too far off from when the Gazelle (or was it Gazel) appeared the older Herald spares seemed to become tougher to source. I think one of the unfortunate reasons for so many of Hyderabad's Heralds to disappear is the paucity of spares.

Quote:
Uh, btw, sorry but I didn't get by what you mean by "square" headlamps??! 'never saw those on Heralds! Or do you mean slanted headlamps (ie. the mark2 Herald)?
Sorry I meant the "squarish" headlamp bezels, you know the original shape from Triumphs. You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance on correct model nomenclature.

My friend's car was the second generation with the "angular" front. The green convertible was the original shape
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 15:28   #15
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Not too far off from when the Gazelle (or was it Gazel) appeared the older Herald spares seemed to become tougher to source. I think one of the unfortunate reasons for so many of Hyderabad's Heralds to disappear is the paucity of spares.
Actually the name given was spelt GAZEL, as seen here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/106899.jpg

But it should've been spelt GAZELLE.

Actually, from my 'research', I doubt if the Gazel downplayed the Herald in spares, as the former itself was a flop! In fact I've found Herald parts far more easier to obtain than Gazel ones. All the Standard cars lost out in the market when the Madras factory had shut down. My parents too told me that back in 1987 or so, some people begun to advise them (they had the Gazel at the time) that no-one was going for these cars anymore as the factory was sealed and spares were difficult to get and so on.

It was, as you say, atleast to some extent the reason why Heralds began to end up at the scrappers'. I've heard incidents of the Afzulgunj walas going around house to house and convincing people into selling their cars (even if roadworthy) for as little as 1500-2000/- back then!!

Of course, unfortunately, this was at a time when Heralds etc. were not yet expected to grow into classics despite the vintage/classic scenario existing then.

Quote:
Sorry I meant the "squarish" headlamp bezels, you know the original shape from Triumphs. You'll have to forgive me for my ignorance on correct model nomenclature.
Yes, the slanted bonnet first appeared on the Triumph Vitesse in the UK, hence known as the Vitesse style bonnet. Here, it appeared on the mk2 and mk3 (4-door) Heralds and then on the Gazels....I refer to it as the Gazel type bonnet so people understand better.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jaipur's 18th Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 23rd & 24th January, 2016 KartikeyaL Vintage Cars & Classics in India 8 3rd May 2016 21:46
Report & Pics: The 50th Statesman Vintage & Classic Car Rally karlosdeville Vintage Cars & Classics in India 11 22nd March 2016 08:00
Vintage Car Rally at Wellington (near Coonoor). 1st June, 2013 h14 Vintage Cars & Classics in India 31 24th April 2015 13:49
Jaipur's 17th Vintage & Classic Car Rally - 24th & 25th January, 2015 KartikeyaL Vintage Cars & Classics in India 20 30th January 2015 14:45
The 11th Vintage & Classic Car Rally, Jaipur On 7th & 8th Feb, 2009 LOVE HER(ALD)! Vintage Cars & Classics in India 6 12th February 2009 13:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks