Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2009, 22:15   #16
BHPian
 
imperial.s.a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 260
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

when an old car comes for fitness the M V I has to take an test drive see its road worthy to the core in all aspects and renev the fitness i dont think it will happen in our country only Devils can save the cars which will pass the fitness
imperial.s.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009, 23:21   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,806
Thanked: 221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Read the article carefully. It states that the old cars will be allowed to run on weekends. So vintage car owners should not fret too much.

My opinion is that, rather than phasing out these cars, have stringent norms for all cars which include tyre tread wear checks, pollution checks, fuel / oil line checks, etc. Most of the old cars i have seen are in a horrible condition with balding tyres, etc.
For example, UK has the penny test rule, if the penny goes in half the depth of the tyre tread, its fine, or else change the tyre ASAP.
What I find particulary Daft about this proposal is that it's meant to de-congest roads. Do they know, that 20 plus year old cars form a miniscule five or ten percent of cars on Mumbai's roads today ?!? What will they achieve by marginalising them to weekends ?
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 11:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,969
Thanked: 4,932 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
What I find particulary Daft about this proposal is that it's meant to de-congest roads. Do they know, that 20 plus year old cars form a miniscule five or ten percent of cars on Mumbai's roads today ?!? What will they achieve by marginalising them to weekends ?
This is the problem: Our babus go on their foreign trips and blindly copy rules from there. Abroad, the main reason for phasing cars out in addition to pollution norms is that they gradually increase speed limits on roads and thus older cars cannot meet the safety criteria set for those limits. Thus, they are phased out. Our babus they take one solution and try to apply it to another problem.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 11:54   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,626
Thanked: 967 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
This is the problem: Our babus go on their foreign trips and blindly copy rules from there. Abroad, the main reason for phasing cars out in addition to pollution norms is that they gradually increase speed limits on roads and thus older cars cannot meet the safety criteria set for those limits. Thus, they are phased out. Our babus they take one solution and try to apply it to another problem.
This is one aspect of Bharat Sarkar that I could never understand.

Are the civic problems so complex that you can't come up with an ingenuous solution of your own?
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 12:58   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
This is one aspect of Bharat Sarkar that I could never understand.

Are the civic problems so complex that you can't come up with an ingenuous solution of your own?
What other "justification" could the babus possibly come up with (to justify his all expenses paid vacation)?

An attractive rebate (like in the UK) when you trade in an old car for a new one would probably be a more sensible way of reducing the number of old cars on the road.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 13:00   #21
BHPian
 
dhrishikesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 795
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

What about all those Consulate Cars ??
Most of them are used in those countries which they belongs to for around 8-10 years & then brought to the countries like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh where not any emission norms are followed, the norms are only followed on papers.
dhrishikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 15:38   #22
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,334
Thanked: 1,548 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
An attractive rebate (like in the UK) when you trade in an old car for a new one would probably be a more sensible way of reducing the number of old cars on the road.
And in that case, what is to be done to the old cars that are traded for the new?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2009, 16:12   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Thumbs down Scrapped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
And in that case, what is to be done to the old cars that are traded for the new?
The old car gets scrapped! Its called the Car Scrappage Scheme, and has been discussed on TBHP before on a few threads.

Here's a link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1314571

So Mr. Crackedhead, it is probably very bad news for classic car lovers if the UK system were to be implemented in India. A rebate on a new car would mean we have one less justification to our families, when we fight with them for retaining the old jalopy!

@Dhrishikesh - Consulate cars are above MV rules. They do not need to have a local registration, and hence local PUC norms dont apply to them. A bad system, but acceptable considering how few consulate cars exist anyway.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2009, 23:52   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 35
Thanked: Once
Default

The question is not about a fitness certificate. My cars do not confirm to even the regular PUC norms! How can a 1954 or a 1957 car confirm to PUC norms? An exemption needs to be given to such cars. I am told (not sure) that vehicles registered with VCCCI are eligible to an exemption from PUC requirements. Assuming that to be true what about your dukkars and landmasters and ambys which VCCCI will not look at?
Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 20:34   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 707 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
How can a 1954 or a 1957 car confirm to PUC norms? An exemption needs to be given to such cars. I am told (not sure) that vehicles registered with VCCCI are eligible to an exemption from PUC requirements. Assuming that to be true what about your dukkars and landmasters and ambys which VCCCI will not look at?
You will be shocked to know that all my classic cars incuding my Diesel Mercedes clears PUC's regularly with flying colours, I dont see any reason why they should not if the engine is well tuned and running at its optimal best.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 21:32   #26
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,531
Thanked: 4,705 Times
Default

Phasing out private motor vehicles will never be possible at least in our country due to the multiple complexities involved.
There have been umpteen news reports in the press ever since the early 1990's but no such legislation has come forth.
Pre 1960 cars and bikes are heritage property on wheels and the government is rather taking steps to preserve these old beauties. So they can never be scrapped by law.
Worst come,if my old cars are scrapped I'll use them as mini drawing or living rooms.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 11:41   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,162
Thanked: 3,757 Times
Default

@anjan_c2007: I fully echo your statement.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2009, 02:52   #28
BHPian
 
abhishek_bmw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kolkata/Shimla/
Posts: 67
Thanked: Once
Default

It will be not possible to impost such rule-mind that,there is Court for appealing.

Last edited by abhishek_bmw : 24th July 2009 at 02:56.
abhishek_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 12:02   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,653
Thanked: 1,103 Times
Default Scrappage? Oh no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
An attractive rebate (like in the UK) when you trade in an old car for a new one would probably be a more sensible way of reducing the number of old cars on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
The old car gets scrapped! Its called the Car Scrappage Scheme, and has been discussed on TBHP before on a few threads.

Here's a link:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...ml#post1314571

So Mr. Crackedhead, it is probably very bad news for classic car lovers if the UK system were to be implemented in India. A rebate on a new car would mean we have one less justification to our families, when we fight with them for retaining the old jalopy!
Guess the old monster just reared its ugly head again. SIAM seeks scrappage sop to replace old vehicles.

Auto industry demand scrappage incentives- Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 12:25   #30
BHPian
 
KITE RUNNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 101
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Old vehicles of all sorts, which are in dilapidated and unfit condition should be scrapped. They are a real threat to all road users and the environment.
The fitness tests and emission norms should be strictly followed.

Remember, all old cars can not be termed vintage cars or classics.
KITE RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pics/Review : TOI Mumbai Mumbai Motor Show Jan 15-18th Dippy The Indian Car Scene 22 20th January 2011 18:19
Ford to phase out Fusion. EDIT: Now Phased out sukiwa The Indian Car Scene 80 28th September 2010 18:55
Why do old Car models never phase out in India? Traxter The Indian Car Scene 55 9th February 2010 14:09
Delhi HC asks govt to phase out Diesel Cars !! Eddy The Indian Car Scene 128 16th February 2008 20:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks