Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 1st July 2009, 20:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

and hillram also the engine is no way anything similar to a Rajdoot GTS.
desideep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 20:52   #17

Well, i really appreciate all your comments, but it is better to keep quite sometimes rather than talk nonsence, you are 100% right that the car is a baby hindustan, but any novice could have gauged that by zooming in to tthe monograms, you called the 3HW as a tiger and gave a lame excuse that it could have been modified, but u really deserve the cake for not knowing your ABCD about LAND ROVERS, this is a series 1, 86 inch wheel base, came only between 1954 to 1956, an extremely rare model, contact the london motoring heritage club for the details, in no way do i wish to offend you or any one else, its just that one should have the facts and figures right before commenting, do take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
There seems to be a lot of unnecessary hullaballoo about what I've written yesterday. "People dont even know what they are talking about"??????.
=================
So you see, its not what people know or dont know, its how the presentation is made.
kahai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2009, 22:19   #18
Senior - BHPian

@predatorwheelz
The Land rover you posted is not original in my opinion. Its a 49 model which had the lights inside. The two lights are retro fitted.

Darjeeling Land rovers were considered some of the most originals. They have complete service history. ANd this particular model was featured in a BBC article about Landrovers in Darjeeling, India.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Where Land Rovers never die

Last edited by SirAlec : 1st July 2009 at 22:22.
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Strong Arm tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahai View Post
Well, i really appreciate all your comments, but it is better to keep quite sometimes rather than talk nonsence, you are 100% right that the car is a baby hindustan, but any novice could have gauged that by zooming in to tthe monograms, you called the 3HW as a tiger and gave a lame excuse that it could have been modified, but u really deserve the cake for not knowing your ABCD about LAND ROVERS, this is a series 1, 86 inch wheel base, came only between 1954 to 1956, an extremely rare model, contact the london motoring heritage club for the details, in no way do i wish to offend you or any one else, its just that one should have the facts and figures right before commenting, do take care.
I've had a rather ugly interaction earlier with a few treasured members of this site, and I have no desire to repeat the verbal volley that went on back then. Hence I continue to refrain from posting strong remarks like "people who dont know anything" and "better to keep quiet than talk nonsense". Instead, lets just jump quickly to facts, shall we?

1. The pics below are of a Triumph Tiger 80 and a 3hW. As I mentioned, except the exhaust pipe and the rear seat, it is difficult to tell apart from a 3HW at sight. Tell me if I'm wrong. And anyway, have I not already acknowledged that I was wrong in calling it a Tiger?

2. To the best of my knowledge, the Landie continued to have the all enveloping grille till 57 (and a straight grille with fewer bars on some models, with the headlights still within the fenders). The inverted T grille was first fitted to the Series 88 in 57. I'm very much aware of the Series 86, but I still think it came with the old grille. Can you post some source info? I'll be glad to be proved wrong.

3. Glad to know that there's no dispute on the Baby Hindustan atleast. SirAlec, take note, its not a Morris.

Anyway, all this seems to have started with my comment about a few cosmetic embelishments which did not seem pleasing to the eye. A molehill blown up into a mountain. Lets end it right here. I have seen a lot of vintage restorers working up close, and do acknowledge the effort and time you guys put in. Unfortunately, you have to live with some young stalwarts (like me) who have never done a hands-on restoration ourselves. We only call ourselves anoraks because of the bookish knowledge we gather over the years. Thats why we pass adverse comments on any classic we see, if it turns out to be different from the original we've read about. Such is the way of life, and of public forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
@predatorwheelz
The Land rover you posted is not original in my opinion. Its a 49 model which had the lights inside. The two lights are retro fitted.

BBC NEWS | South Asia | Where Land Rovers never die
The pre-57 Landrover came with an all-enveloping grille which covered the headlights. My desire was to show the grille design, and I just jumped at the first pic I found with the same grille. I agree that the lights are retrofitted. The original had lights behind the grille.

And I've seen that show, as also Darjeeling LRs up close. Thanks.
Attached Images

predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 16:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Dude! we are not here to prove anybody wrong but to share knowledge.

Quote:
And I've seen that show, as also Darjeeling LRs up close.
Funny you saw a show that was never made. . Coz the bloke Alistar Lawson is a print journalist and does not make docu. He came home and was so impressed by the one I have, equally dumbstruck to see the spares collection to keep the vehicle going.

Which LR you saw upclose. Because the genuine ones you don't see often on road. Only the Taxi which has mazda or mahindra in them.

As far as confusion is concerned, search the net man.

BTW following is the image of one of early fan of LR, Sir Churchill with his 54' 86 incher
Name:  churchil lr.jpg
Views: 7211
Size:  42.6 KB

Last edited by SirAlec : 2nd July 2009 at 16:22.
Old 3rd July 2009, 11:27   #21

@predatorwheelz, Well i am glad for the fact that you do appreciate the kind of work that goes into restoring thsese vehicles, i am constantly on the move, searching every nook and corner of the country trying to source parts for my vehicles, the triumph 3hw is currently being restored, should be done in about a months time, though the bike is complete but i hate the paint work, and the bold Made in England stickering put on by the previous owner ! Take care. @sir alec, lets get the ball rolling to register your vehicle too, i will mail you all the details.
Old 4th July 2009, 18:19   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

I just wanted to comment on the tone of this post.

When we post, we expose ourselves. To anything. Result can be pleasant and unpleasant. Just like going to a party where also previously unknown people come. You make new contacts, interesting, lasting, boring, idiotic, never to see again (hopefully). In short, different categories. So when you put up pictures of your cars, comments would come and sometimes both ways. Many of us (posters)are unknown to each other, and a rapport develops, or does not. Some comments can be made in different ways, brash, rude, politely, but all mean the same thing. A little politeness will always encourage dialogue. So no point in getting worked up.

About Kahai's cars, I too feel that some detailing is required to achieve a better result. Firstly, his cars are his personal property, he can do as he likes. Fortunately they are basically sound cars, very good substance to make them more original. The hubcaps on the Minor could be changed, the decoration on the Land Rover grill could be removed. But these are minor matters. Perhaps Kahai could consider these points to turn out his cars better.
Some people do tend to excessively decorate their cars. They add so many accessory lights that the car appears to be a rolling laboratory for Bosch, Lucas or even Lumax. Or they add too many badges. One can point this out to the owner, then he takes a call. No further ugliness required.
Personally I like a series one Landy, there were many in Goa too.
And when questioned, why not Kahai let us have some background on the Innocenti if he would like to share. Or wait for the magazine article.

We should try to encourage, and, just as an example, Sir Alec should not regret bringing Kahai to the forum!

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2009, 23:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks harit for the encouragement.
Ofcourse we should be ready to face negative, positive and suggestion from other members when we post images on public forums like these. my personal opinion is that and i am sure MSK will feel the same. If people comment on something, that must be supported by facts.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:00   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Innocenti BSM

Since I dont seem to be very popular in these parts, lemme try to make amends.

Just read the August edition of BSM. MSK's Innocenti has been covered well in a 4 page article, and has received good reviews. The reviewer is very impressed with the quality of the conversion, as well as with the fact that the bike was stable enough to be driven around Delhi traffic without feeling strained. It also features a full pic of MSK with his group of friends/helpers.

One detail I could not understand. The reviewer said that the tyres fitted on the vehicle are older than him(!!). But in the pics they look to be fairly new tyres. Kahai, we would appreciate your comments on the same.

For once, lets forget originality and applaud the quality of workmanship that has gone into the vehicle. SirAlec, anything objectionable this time?

There seems to be no link to the article on the BSM Website at least. Can someone scan the page for everybody's benefit?
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2009, 00:21   #25
Senior - BHPian

here is the scan of the article.

Name:  Clipboard1.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  86.5 KB
Old 10th August 2009, 17:44   #26

HI, glad you liked the article, kyle does have his way around with words, and as a matter of fact those tyres are actually older than me too !!! they are genuine firestone tyres which came along on this scooter in 1962, this scooter was just dumped in a godown and hardly ever used, Tarachand ji salvaged it from there and gave it a new lease of life ! the tyres are actually in a fantastic condition !

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Since I dont seem to be very popular in these parts, lemme try to make amends.

Just read the August edition of BSM. MSK's Innocenti has been covered well in a 4 page article, and has received good reviews. The reviewer is very impressed with the quality of the conversion, as well as with the fact that the bike was stable enough to be driven around Delhi traffic without feeling strained. It also features a full pic of MSK with his group of friends/helpers.

One detail I could not understand. The reviewer said that the tyres fitted on the vehicle are older than him(!!). But in the pics they look to be fairly new tyres. Kahai, we would appreciate your comments on the same.

For once, lets forget originality and applaud the quality of workmanship that has gone into the vehicle. SirAlec, anything objectionable this time?

There seems to be no link to the article on the BSM Website at least. Can someone scan the page for everybody's benefit?
Old 10th August 2009, 22:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahai View Post
HI, glad you liked the article, kyle does have his way around with words, and as a matter of fact those tyres are actually older than me too !!! they are genuine firestone tyres which came along on this scooter in 1962, this scooter was just dumped in a godown and hardly ever used, Tarachand ji salvaged it from there and gave it a new lease of life ! the tyres are actually in a fantastic condition !
Just BTW, but fitting here.
If you have old rubber, tyres, weatherseals on a car etc, and it has been kept away from light, it remains quite fresh. But kept away from light means just that, not away from direct sunlight.
Sometime ago an Adler Trumpf Jr. was discovered, this car was hidden away from the authorities so that it will not be requisitioned. And then it was forgotton. It was kept in a total dark space, no light whatsover. And when discovered, all rubber was found to be as fresh. Apparently the UV rays affect rubber, if kept away there is hardly any deterioration/ageing.
But I would not depend too much on such tyres.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 22:18   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Just BTW, but fitting here.
If you have old rubber, tyres, weatherseals on a car etc, and it has been kept away from light, it remains quite fresh. But kept away from light means just that, not away from direct sunlight.
Apparently the UV rays affect rubber, if kept away there is hardly any deterioration/ageing.
But I would not depend too much on such tyres.
Coming to that, here's an article I read at this site just a few days ago:

Old tyres can kill!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 23:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Some of the trucks we so much adore, acquired by Dear MSK and his friends.
I am eagerly waiting for the finished product. The ex UN 312 4x4 is still available. Anyone interested can contact MSK.

Name:  312a.jpg
Views: 1252
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  312.jpg
Views: 1164
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  312b.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  54.1 KB

Name:  312un.jpg
Views: 1169
Size:  38.4 KB

Last edited by SirAlec : 15th October 2009 at 23:42.
Old 16th October 2009, 00:41   #30
BHPian

Greetings!
I am sorry but I had to add my two paise worth, so please bear with me.

Predatorwheelz, there is one give away that is pretty obvious between the 3HW and the Tiger 80 that you haven't mentioned. Look closely at the two bikes and you can see a circular cover for the tappet inspection/setting hole on the 3HW while as the Tiger has a chrome plate over it. Also, if you look closely at the head, you will notice that the 3HW's rocker boxes were cast integral to the head and in the case of the Tiger 80, they are separate units. This was done to decrease production cost and time of the 3HW as these bikes were hurriedly built to be sent straight into battle.

Mr. Kahai, let none of this unsettle you. These vehicles need you and you're doing a good job already.
kylohere is offline   Reply With Quote