Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 14th August 2011, 10:04   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Monsoon Do's and Dont's For Your Old Car

@Anjan, GTO,

In the era of Ambys and Premiers, service stations known as water wash and greasing centers, generally attached with Fuel Filling Stations, used to spray a mixture of Diesel and used oil on the under-body for rust prevention.

Today, usage of anti-rust compounds available in the market are preferable because oil, especially used oil is a carcinogenic substance and best to be avoided. The disposal of used oil is governed by certain mandatory regulations. These are to be sold only to agencies authorized by pollution control authorities, for recycling. And individual disposals are to be in sealed bottles and specific under ground pits. Secured land fills are preferable.

Last edited by rajeev k : 14th August 2011 at 10:07.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 10:44   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Is this also from 3M? 'will see if it is available here.
No it is not from 3M, i tried searching for a comparable 3M offering sadly could not find.

How ever see Rust Guard from Wurth , it is exactly the same in working principle. Sadly that is not available in India :(.

The beauty for these product is that you need not have to clean the surface, which is a plus plus for restoration that we encounter .

I will post more details by tomorrow including price.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 12:57   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
No it is not from 3M, i tried searching for a comparable 3M offering sadly could not find.

How ever see Rust Guard from Wurth , it is exactly the same in working principle. Sadly that is not available in India :(.

The beauty for these product is that you need not have to clean the surface, which is a plus plus for restoration that we encounter .

I will post more details by tomorrow including price.
Try POR 15 , this is a rust proofing compound which is made in USA .This is available through a distributor in hyderabad .You can contact them at the following address .I tried mailing them but no response

Anantha Coating Solutions
7-1-307/14/G/113, BESIDE A.K.GOUD GARDEN, LINGAIAH NAGAR, BALKAMPET, Hyderabad - 500018, Andhra Pradesh, India
Phone:91-40-64563456
Key Personnel
Mr. Ravi Anantha (PROPRIETOR)
Mobile : +919849032223
peeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 08:56   #49
Senior - BHPian

Well monsoon is back and time to compare notes from the last monsoon which was disastrous for my cars. I was also a bit lazy and did not coat the bumpers with wurth's white grease which comes as a spray in a can. Both cars had to be rechromed :-( this year iw ill be using the old time tested method, will be mixing gear oil (for trucks) with brown grease into a viscous mixture and coating all the chrome witn the mix. Dont have the patience and energy to go through another rechrome.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 12:13   #50
BHPian

Hi Mole, I am one of those who feel regular use of these oldies during the rains is a better idea than storage. I dont know why, and I offer no logical explanation , but even chrome parts dont seem to show more rust if the cars are in use versus cars stored. Use during the moonsoon season also keeps the brakes from jamming due to moisture and consequent rust formation. And If you have used DOT4 brake fluid, this being more hygroscopic, rust formation accelerates. Regular use followed by a good wipe seems to work for me at least.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 16:18   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Mole, I am one of those who feel regular use of these oldies during the rains is a better idea than storage.
Inspired by your post, I went for a spin in the Rover and Mercedes playing truant from office in the first half. Then parked them in the basement of my building and sprayed a coat of epoxy laquer on the chrome. I am told it will do the job. I hope so. Find attached picture of the brand one can did the job for the entire mercedes chrome and two bumpers of the Rover. Everything else on the Rover is Stainless Steel.

Will continue to use both cars in the season. Infact we were planning a monsoon drive to Alibag if people are game :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Monsoon Do's and Dont's For Your Old Car-photo-060612-12-22-01-pm.jpg  

the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 16:22   #52
BHPian

Thats great. Alibag? count me in.Lets compare notes on how your cars fared with regular use, post the rains.
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2012, 21:50   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole

Inspired by your post, I went for a spin in the Rover and Mercedes playing truant from office in the first half. Then parked them in the basement of my building and sprayed a coat of epoxy laquer on the chrome. I am told it will do the job. I hope so. Find attached picture of the brand one can did the job for the entire mercedes chrome and two bumpers of the Rover. Everything else on the Rover is Stainless Steel.

Will continue to use both cars in the season. Infact we were planning a monsoon drive to Alibag if people are game :-)
I am game please can we have this post 20th of this month. Monsoon use and basic cleaning etc keeps it fit and for the Better of the vehicle

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 6th June 2012 at 21:52.
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 09:47   #54
BHPian

Going through whole thread got me even more confused. I was planning to cover up and pack my w124 for the entire monsoon and just warm up the engine once a week. However now I am not sure what would be the best to preserve. My car has zero rust as of now

Some questions for the experts out here. Request your assistance on the below:

1. I have the option of stilt parking at following two places: Dosti flamingoes Sewri and Kohinoor city, Premier Kurla. Which would be better choice considering rusting is prominent in Mumbai?

2. Should I also keep it covered or not?

3. Last year the leather steering wheel of my i10 caught fungus( green colored). My w124 has full leather interiors. Someone suggested putting napthalene vballs inside. How can I keep it safe and sound ?

4. Would it be good idea to get the car detailed pre or post monsoons?

5. Anything specific for the tyres

6. Anything else you should suggest to keep it in perfect shape?

I love my car too much and actually been getting sleepless nights considering monsoons are here.

TIA,
VIkram
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 10:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post
Going through whole thread got me even more confused. I was planning to cover up and pack my w124 for the entire monsoon and just warm up the engine once a week. However now I am not sure what would be the best to preserve. My car has zero rust as of now

1. I have the option of stilt parking at following two places: Dosti flamingoes Sewri and Kohinoor city, Premier Kurla. Which would be better choice considering rusting is prominent in Mumbai?

3. Last year the leather steering wheel of my i10 caught fungus( green colored). My w124 has full leather interiors. Someone suggested putting napthalene vballs inside. How can I keep it safe and sound ?

I love my car too much and actually been getting sleepless nights considering monsoons are here.

TIA,
VIkram
Dude....cars are meant to be driven not stilt parked / moth balled and covered......drive it as frequesntly as possible and take care of it and it will reward you with the best driving pleasure you can imagine.....park it and the woes will start !
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 10:19   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984

TIA,
VIkram
Suggestion 1 - please use the car
Suggestion - 2 is you get something called Damp rid across stores or absorbia. Keeps the moisture out . Which is good when parked or covered. These fill up with moisture on their own and are excellent.
Suggestion - 3 - keep it running wipe the spots post a run and dry wipe it. Post monsoon detailing is good. Please also get a non abrasive polish like a cream and wipe it across all the body and polish the car. Keeps or repels water lightly which is good.
Premier kurla would be a better bet as its a little away from the sea.

Enjoy a great monsoon.
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 10:52   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Another suggestion especially for those in coastal and hilly areas where the humidity is quite high during the wet months is to use silica gel. Silica gel is available in any scientific equipment store by weight ( 250 gms, 500 gms and so on) and comprises chips of silica (SiO2).These can be safely kept in tailor made, cotton bags with fastening threads at the top, to contain half a Kg each.Two to four half Kg packs (depending on the size of the passenger cabin) can be kept within the car's passenger cabin (not for older cars like the Ford Model A, Austin 7 and so on, with a canvas hood canopy and also jeeps with soft-tops). One or two packs can be kept within the boot of the car again depending on the size. The passenger cabin and the boot in many cases are almost air tight areas, where silica gel performs very well. The engine bay is not recommended as its lower part is exposed.
Silica gel absorbs moisture and even in laboratories its used as such to protect costly scientific and other laboratory equipment.
The best part is that if periodically dried (in laboratories it is dried in ovens, but even a prolonged exposure to the sunlight makes it dry) silica gel can be used eternally.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 7th June 2012 at 10:55.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 11:44   #58
BHPian

Vikram, Regular use and keeping the car without a cover if you hsve stilt parking is the best. And on days when it does not rain, wind down the window glasses for fresh air to move throught the interiors. This will reduce the fungus. Even my cars , used through the rains do at times show fungal growth inside. Some interiors are more prone to fungal growth and you must remember that fungal spores are ever present in the atmosphere. its the dampness , excessive humidity during this season that makes the spores rapidly multiply. Another problem is the cleaning cloth. Car cleaners use a damp cloth to wipe the interiors, which carry the spores and in fact accelerate fungal growth. Then the same cloth though washed, is not free of the spores, result? the next wipe transfers them back, so you are left wondering why you have the problem recurring after a few hours of what you think was a good clean up. No solutions come to mind. Just air the interiors and use an anti fungal cloth and hope for the best.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2012, 13:18   #59
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramvicky1984 View Post

Some questions............................... TIA, VIkram
As everyone had mentioned, keeping the car off road is a bad idea.
You should get the cars serviced, and spray the undercarriage.
The leather could be creamed to keep it nice and soft.
But if you want to keep the car off the road, do not cover it, moisture will get trapped. Also, keep windows slightly open, place Naphtha balls. Try to keep the car on axle stands. My W124 stood still for 6 months because in 1998 or so there was a scare of extortion threats. During that time the tyres deformed and alignment could never be made perfect.
Do not start the engine periodically, you will warm her up and have condensation on cooling. Just turn over the engine if at all, but I would not do that.
You say your car has Zero rust. My W124 had that too, till water leaked in during the last monsoons. Check the front and rear windshield surrounds, rust develops just below the rubbers. My car looked rust free too.
But, just keep driving it!

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 14:09   #60
BHPian

While reading through the recent informative posts on maintaining our cars through the seasons, I remembered an extensive effort carried out to mothball a V8 Lincoln Continental , way back in the late 60s, before the owner left on a three-year foreign posting. Not only was the garage extensively prepared to be dehumidified round-the-clock, in a very humid Calcutta, the car was also very carefully drained of all fluids and dried to a fault, over a few weeks. I was all of seven years old, when I subsequently also witnessed the recommissioning effort, upon the owner's return, and I think she started on the first crank, after the extensive ritual though, since the owner was a fussy man, who did everything because it was the correct way to do something. She is still in the family, in a time-warp, since the owner passed away. I am sure her owner is proud of his favourite son for ensuring, on the sly, that the old retainers take good care of her, although I can't set foot on the property and even take a look at her.

Edit:
Sorry for the latter part of the rant, just had to get it off my chest! Hope the rest is considered automotive enough!! Cheers!

Last edited by Prabal : 10th June 2012 at 14:20.
Prabal is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote