Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 5th May 2010, 21:39   #181
Senior - BHPian

This is funny there is a similar Austin in our very own classified offered at Rs. 3.5 lacs. Difference being this one is offered by the owner and seems intact, and the other one by a dealer and it seems like the resto is not entirely accurate. Talk about extremes
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 08:35   #182
Senior - BHPian

How to value a vintage english motorcycle? Any guidelines?
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 11:21   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
Fair point, but apparently, even that's off limits!

Last slightly off topic post and then I am done with this thread. Yes, that is the car I thought it would be. Originally Adenwalla and then in the care of Roni Khan along with some other machines. I've been sent pictures of the car recently and restoration will only improve the condition.

Faster, request you to please post the Bugatti pics in teh Bugatti thread for us to see.

Please don't feel disheartened by any comment here and do continue to post.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 11:44   #184
BHPian

HI Harit,Please practise what you preach..Cannot see any Valuations in your post..HA HA HA .Please NO OFFENCE intended my friend.I respect your vast knowledge hence the refrence for the buggati..And I was correct.You knew.Since the thread is all about valuations can you advise what a dodge engined buggati should fetch?A rough figure?Thanks and regards
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 14:31   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Faster, request you to please post the Bugatti pics in teh Bugatti thread for us to see.

Please don't feel disheartened by any comment here and do continue to post.
Apologies, but the picture was given to me in confidence. What I can you tell is that is Bugatii blue, brown leather seats and silver wire wheels. The condition looks pretty good, though it is nowhere near concours. That is why I was taken aback to hear it was being restored. Then again, I cannot judge the mechanical condition from a photograph.
Faster789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 14:54   #186
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Since the thread is all about valuations can you advise what a dodge engined buggati should fetch?
If I wanted a Bugatti I would buy it with a Greaves Garuda Engine.

Hope that helps to "evaluate".
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 20:01   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
How to value a vintage english motorcycle? Any guidelines?
I think (I am no high priest) it may be as simple as following a UK valuation list and add 100% duty and if she is scarce a favorite word here, you could add a premium = complex calculation ingredients of which are mainly emotional value to seller, how much you want to put down the tube and the outcome of this touchy feelly process only comes to light when a transaction happens cheeiro

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2010 at 13:04. Reason: Removing unnecessary comments from within the post.
Old 7th May 2010, 11:29   #188
BHPian

Hi Cannonball,Harit can confirm the dodge engined buggati.I must confess ,the rest of your post is beyond my understanding.Hope the punctuations are to your liking? BTW, no offence taken.Actually some of us on the forum should lighten up a bit.
Bulldogji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 18:33   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
I think (I am no high priest) it may be as simple as following a UK valuation list and add 100% duty and if she is scarce a favorite word here, you could add a premium = complex calculation ingredients of which are mainly emotional value to seller,
I too haven't understood a word of what you've written.
Why add 100% duty over the UK price if the bike is in india? And to that premium and then other complex calculation ingredients? I thought you would prefer prices to be affordable.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2010 at 13:07. Reason: Quoted posts removed / edited, so reflecting the change here.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 21:00   #190
Senior - BHPian

I may prefer many things not = equal to the practical logic I follow just that if you took bare Uk prices you may not head anywhere = my experience shows that if you half india quoted prices they often come to the same as UK/US prices..just so happens often not alway. I have no clue about bikes anyways...so don't hold me to it.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2010 at 13:13. Reason: Removing unnecessary comments.
Old 8th May 2010, 01:26   #191
BHPian

Hello All ,
Been following with interest the various occasionally acrimonious exchanges on this thread , presently there seems to be a standoff between the 2 opposing points of view with neither willing to give way .
The vintage car seller has the right to ask a price which he deems fit for his property . If the price asked for is not correct , then , just walk off . As for being ridiculed by the seller , the buyer has the same option - ridicule the seller .
For me vintage cars have been a passion and at the risk of being ridiculed , I can quite positively say that vintage car prices cannot be arrived at on the basis of formulae; there are far too many variables, and the personalities involved.
I think the people wishing to reform the vintage car market need to be more informed about vintage car sales at the grass root level.
A vintage car can be sourced directly from the owner or via a middleman ( dalals ) who perform a very necessary and imporatant function , in as much they keep the seller from dreaming up astronomical prices for his cars .

I have only bought cars and I have never had the experience of selling cars - vintage or otherwise. I am a salaried person who has to fit the buying of cars into a very tight budget . I have the advantage , that , I restore my cars at home with a permanent staff , the engine work is done / overseen by me personally ( I have invested quite a bit into an array of verniers ( even vintage verniers !!! ) , micrometers , dial gauges , feeler gauges etc , even a mini lathe.)
Other than the Packard Clipper all my cars are sourced directly from sellers and I would say my success rate has been 40% of negotiations culminating in cars being purchased over the last 15 years . To source my cars , I have been on car hunting trips all over Uttar Pradesh sourcing cars in way out small remote villages and mofussil towns . I have made regular 24 hour driving trips hunting for vintage vehicles in the scorching summer as also waiting in dense fogs in the terai jungles stuck for the night at roadside temples . My small contribution to the "Rust in Pieces" thread is the result of these trips and the humble Maruti 800 or the Mahindra Armada has been a trusted steed for these trips ( the same cars since 1995 ) - the 800 for the exploratory trips , the Armada when we were sure of the purchase and knew we would be towing back. Vehicles which ensure I do not leave a large signature behind of my visit and which do not put ideas of grand sales into the mind of the seller.
I just purchased a 1970 Chevrolet Impala with a 350 ci V-8 for Rs 50,000/ after 4 trips over the last 5 years to the sellers address - I persisted and in 5 years the price crawled from Rs.15,000 to Rs 50,000 , the car deteriorated a bit more , but that is not a botheration , all restorations here are frame off - whatever the condition of the car. Well , for Rs 50,000 I have a Chevy which though mechanical complete is in very poor shape - but for sure will be restored in due course.
But over the 5 years I did not get frustrated or curse the seller and I never talked about the car - for the price would have taken an astronomical leap once it's whereabouts were known.
So I suggest to all persons desirous of becoming vintage car owners - if you are passionate about vintage car ownership and cannot afford the prices - go out - there are still a number of bargain basement priced cars available , may not be exotic brands - but the regular Austins , Morris , Rover , Plymouth , Chevrolet , Fords are still there.
If you are in it for investment then it is upto you to check if you will make a profit at the price you pay.
I am thankful the vintage cars here in India are not priced the way they are in USA / Europe. Here the fun starts with - the drive to find the car , the way I understand it in USA the better brands are now out of the reach of the common people and one hears only of collections and organizations with the better car - even the Rajas were more approachable than the faceless entities of the US collections.
As for regulating the vintage car sales and trying to control the price - there was a net auction organised by some TATA concern for the IWRC cars at Jamshedpur , I had the misfortune to participate in this sham ( SHAM for the conditions of the auction were changed midway ). The prices of run of the mill cars kept rising till the sale was only of academic interest to me , the cars in similar conditions ( except the 7 seater Buick ) were available through regular middlemen at a quarter of the price at which they were sold - so hats off to the buyers for doing things the US way . I gave up on the Buick after the price crossed 7 lakhs .
On this thread by now I have read about - the South African way , the American way and a lot of other ways - My advice to the persons endeavouring to reform the vintage car scene - WHEN IN INDIA - DO IT THE INDIAN WAY - let the best person buy the car and move onto the next project. The vintage car passion is a stress buster , it is no use - if there is so much stress in trying to pick up a car. Please stop using this forum to vent your frustrations. Please curse and ridicule the seller to his face , it is not correct to use this forrum to ridicule persons who are not on the forum and as such their view points are not available.
Gogi Bhai was prophetic when he propounded "A thread started with good intent Cannon, will go the wrong way". I think the thread has confused more tnan it has resolved regarding vintage car pricing .
And for the record and for transperancy - the prices I have paid for cars in the last one year :
1970 Chevrolet Impala Rs 50,000 - March 2010
1968 Volkswagen Beetle Rs 1,30,000 - September 2009
1948 Packard Clipper Deluxe Rs 6,00,000 - November 2009
Ford Model Y - A scrap Premier Padmini to replace the Model Y in an illegally constructed garage. the car denotes ownership on the piece of land it is parked + Rs 10,000. March 2009
1952 Jawa Perak Rs. 7,500 - July 2009
But you have to get off the net and start searching in real time places and real time people for cars at the right prices.And to show what is still available with the prices I have put to the owners :-

Rs 50,000
Attached Images

Last edited by vintageman : 8th May 2010 at 01:30. Reason: Attach photographs
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2010, 01:36   #192
BHPian

Some more vehicles :

Rs 25,000 for the Tractor

Rs 12,000 for the Standard
Attached Images

Old 8th May 2010, 07:52   #193
BHPian

Dear Sirs ,

What I have is NOT FOR SALE , request please do not pm me "will give you handsome price for that."

The cars pictured above are still there ; if you can find them , please go ahead and buy them . I also do not act as the via media in car sales.
Old 8th May 2010, 14:00   #194
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageman View Post
What I have is NOT FOR SALE , request please do not pm me "will give you handsome price for that."
That sums up the thread doesnt it

And that is what we "reformers" as you put it are up against.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2010, 12:00   #195
Senior - BHPian

Vintage man I agree with you completely and feel the journey/adventure of finding cars is the best part not to mention sweating and toiling over restoring it . +1 to Spitfire as well.

Last edited by Rehaan : 12th May 2010 at 13:25. Reason: Removing the quoted post which mentions your full name - as per your request.