Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2010, 12:57   #241
BHPian
 
cmdalvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 142
Thanked: 10 Times
Default

concours or concours d'elegance refers to competitions in which owners compete with each other on the basis of their car condition.
The one with the most perfectly mint condition wins.

Mint condition is the state of a car is when it originally left its mother factory

Concours quality cars are those where each and every component is either original or if not, then should correspond to the actual year or batch of the make of the car. Any modifications or use of parts from a different production year are not allowed even if they are from the same motor manufacturing co.
cmdalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 18:01   #242
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post
concours or concours d'elegance refers to competitions in which owners compete with each other on the basis of their car condition.
The one with the most perfectly mint condition wins.

Mint condition is the state of a car is when it originally left its mother factory

Concours quality cars are those where each and every component is either original or if not, then should correspond to the actual year or batch of the make of the car. Any modifications or use of parts from a different production year are not allowed even if they are from the same motor manufacturing co.
Thanks for the explanation.
drsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2010, 19:43   #243
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

There is a good VW bus which i am trying to buy and i quoted a high price for it but the owner is not happy with it and wants more for it .So guys what do you think i should pay for a bay window which is fully restored ?
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 13:08   #244
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 931 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
There is a good VW bus which i am trying to buy and i quoted a high price for it but the owner is not happy with it and wants more for it .So guys what do you think i should pay for a bay window which is fully restored ?
Please post some photos of the baywindow so that a correct assesment is possible;
Was it restored to keep or just from the point of selling?
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 18:28   #245
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Please post some photos of the baywindow so that a correct assesment is possible;
Will ask the owner and then put them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post

Was it restored to keep or just from the point of selling?

How does that matter? The car is restored to the best of the restorers capability.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 15th June 2010 at 18:46.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 18:42   #246
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 931 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Will ask the owner and then put them up.




How does that matter? The car is resotred to the best of the restorers capability.
Thanks, will look forward to see the photos
I assume that you meant "restored" .of course that matters ,as manish, kishore etc have been pointing out there are garage owners/mechanics/dealers who have done restoration just with a profit motive and not from the enthusiast/passion/hobbyist point of view .for eg: I know of at least 3 restorers in kerala (former mechanics) who have now turned to classic car repair/facelift(I will never call it restoration) and have been able to sell them at good prices to noveau enthusiasts
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 18:52   #247
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Thanks, will look forward to see the photos
I assume that you meant "restored" .of course that matters ,as manish, kishore etc have been pointing out there are garage owners/mechanics/dealers who have done restoration just with a profit motive and not from the enthusiast/passion/hobbyist point of view .for eg: I know of at least 3 restorers in kerala (former mechanics) who have now turned to classic car repair/facelift(I will never call it restoration) and have been able to sell them at good prices to noveau enthusiasts

Sir i do happen to know the difference in restoration and facelift. Apart from that i would say if a person has been able to sell a car for a high price then his work must be good. Apart from that if people have bought it for good prices then they must have seen something good in it to pay that amount for it. Even if someone has done it with a profit motive or not it really doesn't matter so long as they have done a good job. There is nothing wrong in doing that at all.

Will speak to the owner and try and post the pics of the car.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2010, 20:26   #248
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,402
Thanked: 931 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Sir i do happen to know the difference in restoration and facelift. Apart from that i would say if a person has been able to sell a car for a high price then his work must be good. Apart from that if people have bought it for good prices then they must have seen something good in it to pay that amount for it.
sorry, I am unable to agree to the above statement.
because the reason for which the car was sold at a ''high"" price was not necessarily for the ""good work"" from an originality aspect but from the ""showpiece"" effect. and most people who have bought it have done so because 1) they had very little time to search for parts ,restore these cars
2)They were new to the field of vintage and classics.
3) Some of them just wanted an old shining car to be put in front of their newly constructed villa and cared next to nothing about originality specifications, genuine parts etc.for eg: an Austin-7 tourer has a dolphin(reliant) engine

Last edited by v12 : 15th June 2010 at 22:09. Reason: fixing quotes
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 10:02   #249
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: kolkata
Posts: 273
Thanked: 82 Times
Default

Hello all,
I have been following this thread avidly.I am no expert in classic car valuations but I surely find the prevelant prices in India on the higher side, which sadly keeps people with a reasonable budget away from acquiring such beauties.Now before some people start telling me that acquiring such beauties are not for those on a reasonable budget, I would just like to say look westwards and you shall be pleasantly surprised.

Rider:I am not talking of concours/exotic classics like MG TC or Rolls Royces.Talking more of mass market classics(in the western markets these are mass market as suggested by the prevelant prices there) like W115/111 Mercedes Benz,Buick,Ford,Dodge.

For example please take a look at the W111 Mercedes Benz 220b(fintail) below.The car in running condition as claimed by the owner."The AC was running when the car was last started a year back" to put it in his words.The only papers available is the duplicate RTO book which states OTT paid.I do not know what are the other documents that are to be collected.I cannot put a fair value to it for the simple reason that I really have no idea about the originality of the engine, trims, parts,etc.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post1632339

Request all to have a look and guide me on the apt pricing.I am not quoting the seller's price on purpose so that people here are not influenced by a pre-conceived notion of the value of the car.I shall reveal the same at a later stage after getting some estimeates as to what the price of the car should be going by condition and facts stated.

Last edited by octane1002 : 16th June 2010 at 10:04.
octane1002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 20:53   #250
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Thanks, will look forward to see the photos

Here are the photos of the bus i was reffering to -
Attached Images
  
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 22:02   #251
BHPian
 
srisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 165
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Here are the photos of the bus i was reffering to -
Indrojit, Are you sure this is the bus , because this one belongs to Pavan and I dont think he is selling this one.

Refer to this link for Pavan's Baywindow restoration,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1877285

Just confirmed with Pavan and this is not going to be sold!

Last edited by srisha : 17th June 2010 at 22:05.
srisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 22:17   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
IndrojitSircar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Kolkata/Delhi
Posts: 2,263
Thanked: 113 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
Indrojit, Are you sure this is the bus , because this one belongs to Pavan and I dont think he is selling this one.

Refer to this link for Pavan's Baywindow restoration,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1877285

Just confirmed with Pavan and this is not going to be sold!

Pics are from someone who is a reliable source. The asking price is Rs. 7 lacs for this bus.

Last edited by v12 : 19th June 2010 at 19:03. Reason: Correcting the price.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 22:38   #253
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 707 Times
Default

Of late I have observed people go on to international websites like ebay.com conduct research on the prices of cars there and then quote prices like these. Its understandable that they are tempted to pick the creme de la creme (read highest) of all the prices for a particular model they own when it is in presentable condition, however when it comes to following the very same markets when the cars are lacking at a lower price band they conveniently forget the research and to drop their expectations accordingly.

Infact if you do a survey of classic car prices in the UK for unrestored classics you will know how crazy prices here in India have become. Its practically become impossible to build a collection unless your a billionaire (millionaires dont count anymore)
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 23:25   #254
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by srisha View Post
Indrojit, Are you sure this is the bus , because this one belongs to Pavan and I dont think he is selling this one.

Refer to this link for Pavan's Baywindow restoration,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/post-1...ml#post1877285

Just confirmed with Pavan and this is not going to be sold!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...05-10_1922.jpg

srisha I don't think that both photos are the same bus. Look at the left door outside mirror and the colour of the wiper arms
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 02:00   #255
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 55
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...05-10_1922.jpg

srisha I don't think that both photos are the same bus. Look at the left door outside mirror and the colour of the wiper arms
It's the same bus. Not only is it the same bus, it is the very same picture.
abybabykcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*Attached* : Formula for Used / 2nd Hand / Pre-Owned Car Valuation 4x4addict The Indian Car Scene 7 10th July 2016 18:10
Elantra Crdi @ 4.8 lacs..correct valuation.. boombox Sedans 60 10th August 2010 13:04
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49
The 11th Vintage & Classic Car Rally, Jaipur On 7th & 8th Feb, 2009 LOVE HER(ALD)! Vintage Cars & Classics in India 6 12th February 2009 13:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:09.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks