Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2011, 12:27   #361
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,403
Thanked: 934 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Most pricing has become unrealistic, mostly coz the owner THINKS he has something that commands such a value. And why does this happen?
1. Unscrupulous dealers who lead him to believe that their piece of junk will sell for a high price.
2. Someone in his circle sold their car to an idiot who was willing to buy it at that inflated price, and now this owner believes he can get the same from another idiot.
3. Hype for common cars, which were mass produced and sold but production has stopped now and therefore parts are difficult / expensive to procure.
4. Someone has "restored" his car by acquiring parts (genuine or not) at high prices and now wants to sell the car and get back all that money that he has spent. Only problem he spent more than that car is - or ever will be - worth.

There are so many more reasons, these were just the few that came to my mind.
I will agree to all but one point that is your comparing genuine and repro parts in the same platform .There is a huge difference in prices between them.For eg: a pair of NOS genuine VW (with logo,part no inscribed on it) Black ignition coil(GERMAN) for air cooled beetle will cost not less than USD150(INR6900) whereas you can get a BLUE BOSCH Coil for USD45 (INR1800) and still cheaper INDIAN coils for Rs.700/- see the difference.
Quality of restoration/car definitely matters. That is why quality genuine cars can sell at high prices,which doesnt mean any junk will command the same price. You must have seen the blue DODGE KINGSWAY ad in this forum.The seller is asking Rs.14 lakhs for it.But it is a really excellent car ,but the premium asked for it is very high. That also doesnt mean any junk dodge kingsway owner can ask similar or nearby prices.
Regarding mass produced cars like 1984 Maruti SS80DX there are certain cars which are unique like our fellow bhpian kishore suresh''s car(run less than 30000kms) and which is fully original to the tool kit, will definitely command high valuations,while ordinary working SS80DX's is available for Rs.30000/-.So even among mass produced cars certain individual car(specimens) can become collectible item
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 12:35   #362
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Most pricing has become unrealistic, mostly coz the owner THINKS he has something that commands such a value. And why does this happen?
1. Unscrupulous dealers who lead him to believe that their piece of junk will sell for a high price.
2. Someone in his circle sold their car to an idiot who was willing to buy it at that inflated price, and now this owner believes he can get the same from another idiot.
3. Hype for common cars, which were mass produced and sold but production has stopped now and therefore parts are difficult / expensive to procure.
4. Someone has "restored" his car by acquiring parts (genuine or not) at high prices and now wants to sell the car and get back all that money that he has spent. Only problem he spent more than that car is - or ever will be - worth.

There are so many more reasons, these were just the few that came to my mind.
Kevin,

There are 2 ways of looking at things

1- An enthusiast (seller) has purchased a classic for Rs 1/-, he has spent Rs.2/- to purchase genuine spares, and he's spent another Rs.4/- to put it together. In total the amount of money put into the car/ car worth is Rs.7/-
And he wants to sell the car for Rs 10/-, In this case, the Value is CORRECT.

2- A Dealer buys the car for Rs. 5/-, and wants Rs 10/- for such car. What do you deduce?

Its all Subjective when it comes to buying and selling. I have brought cars, but when it comes to selling, i have had "0" experience so cant actually give a perfect explaination
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 18:26   #363
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Kevin,

There are 2 ways of looking at things

- An enthusiast (seller) has purchased a classic for Rs 1/-, he has spent Rs.2/- to purchase genuine spares, and he's spent another Rs.4/- to put it together. In total the amount of money put into the car/ car worth is Rs.7/-
And he wants to sell the car for Rs 10/-, In this case, the Value is CORRECT.
I could think of another scenario:

1a. An enthusiast (seller) has purchased a classic for Rs 1/-, he has spent Rs.2/- to purchase genuine spares, and he's spent another Rs.4/- to put it together. In total the amount of money put into the car/ car worth is Rs.7/-
And he wants to sell the car for Rs 10/-. But, if you put some effort to search you may find another car in similar condition (or very close to the restored condition) for, say, Rs. 6/-.
What will you do now?
drsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 18:42   #364
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
I could think of another scenario:

1a. An enthusiast (seller) has purchased a classic for Rs 1/-, he has spent Rs.2/- to purchase genuine spares, and he's spent another Rs.4/- to put it together. In total the amount of money put into the car/ car worth is Rs.7/-
And he wants to sell the car for Rs 10/-. But, if you put some effort to search you may find another car in similar condition (or very close to the restored condition) for, say, Rs. 6/-.
What will you do now?
Does a dealer spend on genuine spares? he may buy it for 1/ or even less, but does he spend 4/- to put it together. I think not. A dealer will always spend less. as for spares I think he will use second hand and reconditioned parts where an enthusiast would use new. If I was a dealer thats what I'd do.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 16th February 2011 at 18:45.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 19:11   #365
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
I could think of another scenario:

1a. An enthusiast (seller) has purchased a classic for Rs 1/-, he has spent Rs.2/- to purchase genuine spares, and he's spent another Rs.4/- to put it together. In total the amount of money put into the car/ car worth is Rs.7/-
And he wants to sell the car for Rs 10/-. But, if you put some effort to search you may find another car in similar condition (or very close to the restored condition) for, say, Rs. 6/-.
What will you do now?
I would never ever buy a Dealer car, nor have i encouraged my friends to buy such re-conditioned cars, I've seen many such Classics sold by so called Enthusiastic Dealers, wherein people have bought it and struggling to put things that are already there in the car, but not working.

Always buy cars from Owners, its best that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Does a dealer spend on genuine spares? he may buy it for 1/ or even less, but does he spend 4/- to put it together. I think not. A dealer will always spend less. as for spares I think he will use second hand and reconditioned parts where an enthusiast would use new. If I was a dealer thats what I'd do.
Yes, you have said it right.

A dealer always makes sure, that the car he sells is working perfectly when the buyer is standing in front with the Money, but later, once the car is gone from his place, they wash their hands off and mouth expletives to the buyer.

I have witnessed many such instances here on T-BHP.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 12:52   #366
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I would never ever buy a Dealer car, nor have i encouraged my friends to buy such re-conditioned cars,
Yes, you have said it right.

A dealer always makes sure, that the car he sells is working perfectly when the buyer is standing in front with the Money, but later, once the car is gone from his place, they wash their hands off .
Correct Pavan

was in a hurry at closing time so missed out writing

"and if someone put in an extra effort and found another car in similar condition to an enthusiast' car who put in 7/- (or very close to the restored condition) for, say, Rs. 6/-. instead of the 10/- that the other two are quoting then it might be a semi bargain so maybe if the buyer genuinely wants it he could buy it."
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 00:04   #367
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Correct Pavan

was in a hurry at closing time so missed out writing

"and if someone put in an extra effort and found another car in similar condition to an enthusiast' car who put in 7/- (or very close to the restored condition) for, say, Rs. 6/-. instead of the 10/- that the other two are quoting then it might be a semi bargain so maybe if the buyer genuinely wants it he could buy it."
True , fully agree with what u say.

So far, what ever cars i've got or the one's i've got for my friends have all been a DEALER FREE cars, no THIRD PARTY involvement and no COMMISSIONS paid ever.

I must be lucky to get through the actual owner and get few cars out at a reasonable price for the Buyer and the Seller.

Would now like to discuss on the below link.


http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...lys-Jeep.html/

Is it a Typo error or .......?????
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 09:35   #368
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Posts: 5,613
Thanked: 2,460 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
MY + 100 to you , this is exactly I tried to point out a few posts back .

the whole purpose of the BHP classifieds ( by enthusiasts for enthusiasts ) gets defeated

Anyways it has a Nice shade of paintwork Quite WORIGINAL

Sudarshan
There is nothing you can call ORIGINAL on the jeep.

Apart from the claim from the advertiser about the Hurricane engine, i do not see any single fitting to be period ORIGINAL
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 14:06   #369
BHPian
 
sanjeevkanjoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kerala -Trichur (Work--Qatar)
Posts: 132
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Hi,
Just gone through this thread.It's really interesting and informative.

Although not a vintage item,I would like to know whether an offer of 62 k for a single owner Original Petrol Mark 3 amby is worth it. The car has original engine and meters and an after market AC with all external originality except the dickey being cut to a round shape at the bottom corner.No visible tinkering and the paint is fair enough.
sanjeevkanjoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 14:44   #370
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,403
Thanked: 934 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
Hi,
Just gone through this thread.It's really interesting and informative.

Although not a vintage item,I would like to know whether an offer of 62 k for a single owner Original Petrol Mark 3 amby is worth it. The car has original engine and meters and an after market AC with all external originality except the dickey being cut to a round shape at the bottom corner.No visible tinkering and the paint is fair enough.
definitely not,because yesterday there was an ad in Malayala manorama for an original 1960 OHV petro MK1 ambassador in your own place thrissur and the asking price was Rs.85000/- negotiable.
The Mark3 has not much value and should be available for less than 40000/-
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 15:29   #371
BHPian
 
sanjeevkanjoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kerala -Trichur (Work--Qatar)
Posts: 132
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
definitely not,because yesterday there was an ad in Malayala manorama for an original 1960 OHV petro MK1 ambassador in your own place thrissur and the asking price was Rs.85000/- negotiable.
The Mark3 has not much value and should be available for less than 40000/-
Thanks Ajay.I'm not buying it. But, there's another interesting fact that i would like to mention.I would have easily bought it for a little above 60 k, if i had made the deal that day and now the owner is asking 150 k for the same car as he had received some inquiries from other states.

So, he assumes that inquiries received are the market values of his car and wait for the buyer to appear --i can't do anything but wish him good luck and wait for another reasonable priced car.

cheers
sanjeevkanjoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2011, 16:47   #372
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,403
Thanked: 934 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
Thanks Ajay.I'm not buying it. But, there's another interesting fact that i would like to mention.I would have easily bought it for a little above 60 k, if i had made the deal that day and now the owner is asking 150 k for the same car as he had received some inquiries from other states.

So, he assumes that inquiries received are the market values of his car and wait for the buyer to appear --i can't do anything but wish him good luck and wait for another reasonable priced car.

cheers
I can only sympathise with the owner who thinks that his Ambassador mark 3 is worthy of a price tag of Rs.1.5 lakhs!!!
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 14:08   #373
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 43
Thanked: 7 Times
Question Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Hi Folks,

Bit of a dilemma, I am a newbie at this forum and classic cars/ restoration in general. Very keen on acquiring a stereotypical/ cliche, american muscle car.

I have come across a car, 1971 Chrysler VG which is undergoing restoration. It has the original 245 6 cylinder engine. Complete body work has been done. Some kit such as carburetor, brakes, pads, etc have been replaced (imported).

Owner is a member of this forum and does not want me to share current pics of the car, which I will respect. Some of you may already know this car.

What is an appropriate guide price for a car like this fully restored? Would it qualify as a 'collectible', whatever that means?
shireeshjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 15:24   #374
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,154
Thanked: 707 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
Hi Folks,

Bit of a dilemma, I am a newbie at this forum and classic cars/ restoration in general. Very keen on acquiring a stereotypical/ cliche, american muscle car.

I have come across a car, 1971 Chrysler VG which is undergoing restoration. It has the original 245 6 cylinder engine. Complete body work has been done. Some kit such as carburetor, brakes, pads, etc have been replaced (imported).

Owner is a member of this forum and does not want me to share current pics of the car, which I will respect. Some of you may already know this car.

What is an appropriate guide price for a car like this fully restored? Would it qualify as a 'collectible', whatever that means?
I dont think a Chrysler VG qualifies as a muscle car. That said, is it a two door coupe? if so then it is more desirable than the 4 door. No price can be discussed without any pictures of condition. The best advice I would give you is check what cars in an equivalent condition that this car is in are selling on sites like ebay-USA. then decide what your willing to pay above that cost to drive a similar car in India (assuming the owner is not asking for less). Best of luck
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 19:46   #375
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -_-
Posts: 313
Thanked: 113 Times
Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

it officially isnt a muscle car unless it has a v8. So the vg is definitely not a muscle car.
mycarhasablower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*Attached* : Formula for Used / 2nd Hand / Pre-Owned Car Valuation 4x4addict The Indian Car Scene 7 10th July 2016 18:10
Elantra Crdi @ 4.8 lacs..correct valuation.. boombox Sedans 60 10th August 2010 13:04
A tribute to a Vintage Man : similar to a vintage car or vintage wine StarVegabond Shifting gears 3 12th October 2009 14:49
The 11th Vintage & Classic Car Rally, Jaipur On 7th & 8th Feb, 2009 LOVE HER(ALD)! Vintage Cars & Classics in India 6 12th February 2009 13:36


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:37.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks