Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 3rd November 2011, 20:20   #436
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeevkanjoor View Post
If we buy such cars from outside our state, how will we go about the RTO retest that has to be done once in every 5 years?

Also, if we take an "NOC" and transfer the car to our state registration, the whole charm of the old Registration No. will be lost!

Please throw some light on how we can maintain the documents of these cars without taking the cars physically to their respective states of registration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Legally,there is no other alternative than taking the car physically to their respective states of registration,if you want to maintain the old number.
Also if you dont have a residential address in that state , you cannot have the car in your name. So the safe and legal way is to get an NOC, transfer the car in your name ,and get it registered in your own state and enjoy the charm of the car.
Actually it IS very much possible to retain the old regn. without taking an NOC - you can pay the tax for your vehicle for the 'new' state and retain the same number without converting it to a local one. I have known a few vehicles in this case. There is a Hyd. (AAB) reg'd Vijai scooter that has been in B'lore since more than a decade and runs on the same AAB regn. but with KA tax paid, meaning it can even be transferred into the name of someone else in KA, like a normal locally reg'd (KA) vehicle, on being sold.
I dont know why not many people exercise this option. Maybe it isnt as cheap as opposed to taking an NOC.
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:39   #437
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Actually it IS very much possible to retain the old regn. without taking an NOC - you can pay the tax for your vehicle for the 'new' state and retain the same number without converting it to a local one. I have known a few vehicles in this case. There is a Hyd. (AAB) reg'd Vijai scooter that has been in B'lore since more than a decade and runs on the same AAB regn. but with KA tax paid, meaning it can even be transferred into the name of someone else in KA, like a normal locally reg'd (KA) vehicle, on being sold.
I dont know why not many people exercise this option. Maybe it isnt as cheap as opposed to taking an NOC.
What about fitness every 5 years? No fitness, no insurance for even third party
KPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:40   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cannot say with certainty about what happens in other states,but in Kerala you cannot pay the tax for any other state registered vehicle, leave alone doing a fitness test.Actually in states like Kerala and TamilNadu the fitness of in state vehicles itself can be done only in the local RTO of the registered owner, in whose name it is at the time it is taken for the test.Other state registered vehicles are not allowed to do fitness here
Moreover if such an option existed most vintage cars brought from other states would still be having their original period plates!!
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 20:48   #439
BHPian

Quote:
That's some great news!. But, I doubt whether this holds good in kerala.

Where should we produce the car for Retest and tax payment?Kerala RTO will not accept the Tax for an other state car.

Also, can you elaborate the last stance that taking an NOC will be cheaper?Even after we have an NOC, we have to pay a tax (Life tax or 2 years minimum) at the time of reregistering a vehicle in Kerala.
sanjeevkanjoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 21:27   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well I excersised the same option for my current vehicle and am running on chennai plates with paying of bangalore tax. getting an NOC was difficult, so this was easy for me. But then I cannot sell the same vehicle here in Bangalore, either I should get noc or else I need to sell in Chennai.

Many people might not prefer that as they may have bought for further trading.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:08   #441
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Actually in states like Kerala and TamilNadu the fitness of in state vehicles itself can be done only in the local RTO of the registered owner, in whose name it is at the time it is taken for the test.Other state registered vehicles are not allowed to do fitness here
Moreover if such an option existed most vintage cars brought from other states would still be having their original period plates!!
Quote:
That's some great news!. But, I doubt whether this holds good in kerala.

Also, can you elaborate the last stance that taking an NOC will be cheaper?Even after we have an NOC, we have to pay a tax (Life tax or 2 years minimum) at the time of reregistering a vehicle in Kerala.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Well I excersised the same option for my current vehicle and am running on chennai plates with paying of bangalore tax. getting an NOC was difficult, so this was easy for me. But then I cannot sell the same vehicle here in Bangalore, either I should get noc or else I need to sell in Chennai.
Maybe it works in states where there is no regular/annual tax for vehicles > 15 years old, which only require FC renewal (and now Green Tax) as in AP/KA.

I was not aware of the part about not being able to sell the vehicle in the 'current' state though. But how could you sell the vehicle only back in Chennai once you've paid KA tax?

@sanjeev: Reg. my comment on this option not being cheap compared to NOC, it was only a reckoning on my part. I'm not sure if an NOC really works out cheaper?
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:20   #442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was not aware of the part about not being able to sell the vehicle in the 'current' state though. But how could you sell the vehicle only back in Chennai once you've paid KA tax?
Since the vehicle is bearing a chennai registration, I can only sell it in chennai, for me to sell it in Bangalore I need to have a valid NOC.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 15:39   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Since the vehicle is bearing a chennai registration, I can only sell it in chennai, for me to sell it in Bangalore I need to have a valid NOC.
NOC is only required if you want to transfer the vehicle in your name in KA. If the vehicle is already on your name and is from a different state, you can pay the KA road tax and ride it legally in this state and the state of origin. You will even be able to do FC, emission, and etc over here.
TuffRyder is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 12:17   #444
BHPian

There's a 1974 W115 Mercedes for sale in our own classifieds section and the asking price is 200000.00.How reasonable is this price?

Also, my friend was interested in a 1969 standard companion featured in our classifieds section.Upon inquiry, the owner had quoted 55 K and the car needs a restoration. How much will it cost approximately for a restoration (read to make it roadworthy) and will the parts be available online?

Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 18:17   #445
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, my friend was interested in a 1969 standard companion featured in our classifieds section.Upon inquiry, the owner had quoted 55 K and the car needs a restoration. How much will it cost approximately for a restoration (read to make it roadworthy) and will the parts be available online?
If you mean the black & white car, its actually a '62 model. Also, checking the ad in question, the price has now gone up to 75k!
Of course, it has been doing the rounds online for the last couple of years.
Car is not bad even now, though it has deteriorated bodily.
Has your friend seen the car in person? Did he try to drive it? Is the mechanical condition known? It does look rather run down in the pics.
But difficult to assess the restoration costs from looking at them.

Most of the parts appear intact. You still can get about 50% of the original parts of these cars through ebay UK if you keep checking regularly, if not through the standard motor club, UK. You have to be a member first though.
Stanher is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 19:22   #446
BHPian

Although the price is shown as 75 K in the ADVT., he is now offering it for 55 K. My friend had already asked for further details like more pictures,document status and the condition of the car.Once I receive feedback,I will update accordingly.

What about the W 115 pricing? still waiting for an advice!
Old 16th November 2011, 12:19   #447
BHPian

Quote:
October 2011 issue of AUTOINDIA had an ad with photo of a landmaster (restored) for 2lakhs.If i am not mistaken, the car was in LUDHIANA

THERE IS ONE LANDMASTER WITH ORIGINAL SIDE VAL ENGINE IN GOOD
CONDITION IT IS 1ST OWNER CAR PRICE FIXED AT 1.50 LAC
THE CAR IS AT NAGPUR
CONTACT NO: 09326277235
CLASSICCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 10:50   #448
BHPian

1953 Hindustan14 for sale - Kollam - Cars

Asking price for the Hindustan 14 as per the above link is 3.5 Lac. What should be the best offer for this car?

Thanks
sanjeevkanjoor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 18:46   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1953 Hindustan14 for sale - Kollam - Cars

Asking price for the Hindustan 14 as per the above link is 3.5 Lac. What should be the best offer for this car?

Thanks
I inquired and got some little bit info about this car.The present owner bought this car for around 2 lakhs a few months back and restored it. So I dont think he will be ready to sell it for less than 2.8 to 3lakhs.In my view a hindustan 14 is not worth that much for a true classic car enthusiast,because the car doesnt have the original engine,trafficators etc..But for a noveau rich guy who want this to adorn the porch of his newly constructed ''mansion'' this might be the perfect buy

Last edited by ajay99 : 15th December 2011 at 18:47.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 18:58   #450
BHPian

Valuations seem to be difficult to understand. In TBHP classifieds, three W115 Mercedes cars have been offered at prices ranging from 2 to 9 lakhs!
C.S.ANANTH is offline   Reply With Quote