Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 24th March 2012, 18:15   #481
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
to add to the above... and most of us will not bother to waste our heads trying to negotiate with such a high initial price in the first place! I mean Where do you even start??
I think if they ask ''ridiculous astronomical'' prices we should start by making ''atrociously low '' offers
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 18:39   #482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
I think if they ask ''ridiculous astronomical'' prices we should start by making ''atrociously low '' offers
But then he wouldn't entertain you anyways, and neither of the 2 parties move in anyway forward!!!
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2012, 00:15   #483
BHPian

Quote:
here is another ad with a funny quote !!!
antique ford model1933 for sale - Thrissur - Cars

this looks like the car which was ''restored'' by the father-son mechanic duo in Koratty
Talk about the Blind leading the Blind!
No way it's a 33, more like a 1929.
john a milne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:28   #484
Senior - BHPian

Default values -then and now

I am posting the photo of a 1947 Jaguar which was up for sale in 2004(march 2004 to be precise!) this photo was sent to me then by our fellow Bhpian kasli ,see the asking price.any idea where the car is now and its value now
Attached Images

Old 3rd April 2012, 15:44   #485
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: values -then and now

This car is in regular use with the ever enthusiast current owner. The car sold for much lesser than the asking price at that time as I have no idea it was between the buyer and seller. I only helped to get a good home. Today I have no idea whats it worth.

Best part the car was driven extensively before loading and still a great driver.

Cheers

Quote:
I am posting the photo of a 1947 Jaguar which was up for sale in 2004(march 2004 to be precise!) this photo was sent to me then by our fellow Bhpian kasli ,see the asking price.any idea where the car is now and its value now
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 19:52   #486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am posting the photo of a 1947 Jaguar which was up for sale in 2004(march 2004 to be precise!)
see the asking price.any idea where the car is now and its value now
Not sure of the value now (definitely more than what was asked then!) but looking back it doesnt sound like a bad price considering now, 5-6 years from then, its the price being quoted for Morris and Heralds!
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:17   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Not sure of the value now (definitely more than what was asked then!) but looking back it doesnt sound like a bad price considering now, 5-6 years from then, its the price being quoted for Morris and Heralds!
on hindsight that may look like a very reasonable quote considering the car and model.But remember in 2004 very good Morris minor sedans were available at Rs.50000-60000/- and Heralds did not find buyers even for Rs.10000/-
But till date I am yet to hear a herald being sold for more than 1 lakh
also a few months ago a running heraldMk2 (cream and red) was sold for Rs.55000/- in trivandrum itself. If some avracious persons quote some unrealistic prices one cannot take it as the market price!!!
Old 3rd April 2012, 21:32   #488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But till date I am yet to hear a herald being sold for more than 1 lakh also a few months ago a running heraldMk2 (cream and red) was sold for Rs.55000/- in trivandrum itself. If some avracious persons quote some unrealistic prices one cannot take it as the market price!!!
Agreed. But for that matter, if I'm not mistaken, NO price that is asked or given for ANY obsolete car can technically be taken as a "market price". That is a term applicable only for newer cars that are still 'running' in the current market. So if we were to assign any 'market' value for classics, I'm sure it would all turn out to be nil, nothing more than scrap value. One reason why even some high-value cars in our country had been relegated to scrap before they got any due 'recognition.' The prices for classics can more appropriately be called a 'demand.'
Stanher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 15:45   #489
BHPian

A Jaguar of similar vintage is being offered for Rs.60Lakh (yes its not a typo).But totally agree with Stanher. This is a demand supply situation and "perceived value".Just because someone is asking stupid money, doesn't mean its going to be sold in a jiffy. If you see some of the ads for classics they have been running for a year or more...But said that...as the economy grows and our lousy laws prohibit imports of basically any kind prices will go upwards only..there is probably no way it is going down.
car love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2012, 19:12   #490
Senior - BHPian

Talking about valuations this LHD car has been advertised for sale since quite some time,(2 years at least)

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...l-Rekord.html/
The price demanded initially was truly unrealistic for that car.Over time the quote has come down by around 50-60 percent and still negotiable. In my view,if the owner had quoted a realistic price when it was first advertised it would have surely found a buyer then itself and that would have benefited both the owner (rupee has depreciated 20 percent from then) and the buyer(lesser restoration costs).

Last edited by ajay99 : 20th May 2012 at 19:14.
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:29   #491
Senior - BHPian

another car whose quoting price has plunged by a few lakhs
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...Morris-8.html/
personally I feel that the offer of 6.5lakhs for a 1948 Morris 8 sedan is a very very good offer.(provided there is one)
ajay99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:43   #492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
another car whose quoting price has plunged by a few lakhs
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...Morris-8.html/
personally I feel that the offer of 6.5lakhs for a 1948 Morris 8 sedan is a very very good offer.(provided there is one)
Ajay my two bits: At 6.5 lakhs if the car is in the condition as promised by the owner, its a great entry level car for a uninitiated enthusiast to drive to the next vintage car event. Will not appreciate and may loose a lakh or so if you were to sell again, but hey a great impulse purchase for someone who drives a brand new 40+ lakh car to enjoy the summer with kids.

I would buy just after rains and then pass it on at the end of summer, its that kind of a car. Cute and well restored, but not on my long term wishlist :-)

Thanks for reminding me about this car though.

Last edited by the mole : 24th May 2012 at 12:45.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 16:40   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Ajay my two bits: At 6.5 lakhs if the car is in the condition as promised by the owner, its a great entry level car for a uninitiated enthusiast to drive to the next vintage car event. Will not appreciate and may loose a lakh or so if you were to sell again, but hey a great impulse purchase for someone who drives a brand new 40+ lakh car to enjoy the summer with kids.

I would buy just after rains and then pass it on at the end of summer, its that kind of a car. Cute and well restored, but not on my long term wishlist :-)

Thanks for reminding me about this car though.
fully with your comments.It is indeed very well restored and he has taken the effort to use genuine parts(which many dont do) .But having done so much on it he should have kept it and enjoyed it because such type of restorations on cars like Morris8 are seldom done in INDIA.
Old 3rd June 2012, 19:51   #494
BHPian

1. Am not sure if this is the right thread for the question that I have. Mods, please move as you may deem appropriate.

I've seeked a W124 E Coupe (2-door), in a fairly good condition. However, the car has been dieselised and the original petron engine is not available. I had two questions (1) What would you believe is the right price for this car? and (2) What is the cost of getting the original petrol engine that went into this car?

In a nut-shell is this car restorable?
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 20:06   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
1. Am not sure if this is the right thread for the question that I have. Mods, please move as you may deem appropriate.

I've seeked a W124 E Coupe (2-door), in a fairly good condition. However, the car has been dieselised and the original petron engine is not available. I had two questions (1) What would you believe is the right price for this car? and (2) What is the cost of getting the original petrol engine that went into this car?

In a nut-shell is this car restorable?
Put up some pictures so we can asses the condition of the car and its price.

A Coupe is always desireable
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote