Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 3rd June 2012, 20:11   #496
BANNED

Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
1. Am not sure if this is the right thread for the question that I have. Mods, please move as you may deem appropriate.

I've seeked a W124 E Coupe (2-door), in a fairly good condition. However, the car has been dieselised and the original petron engine is not available. I had two questions (1) What would you believe is the right price for this car? and (2) What is the cost of getting the original petrol engine that went into this car?

In a nut-shell is this car restorable?
Duke .! Are you talking about this car by any chance..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Put up some pictures so we can asses the condition of the car and its price.

A Coupe is always desireable
You are right Wasif bhai, i too am a big fan of any 2 door Coupe`, especially if its a Mercedes Benz
Attached Images

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 3rd June 2012 at 20:13.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 20:55   #497
BHPian

Holy mother of god. yes, this is the car in question. good heavens, you guys should get a job at IB or RAW
duke is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:43   #498
Senior - BHPian

Car looks pretty neat from Pavan's pic. What kind of Diesel is in it now ?
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:58   #499
BHPian

the OM616 Mercedes diesel engine.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 22:13   #500
BANNED

Quote:
Holy mother of god. yes, this is the car in question. good heavens, you guys should get a job at IB or RAW
World is small buddy

Quote:
Car looks pretty neat from Pavan's pic. What kind of Diesel is in it now ?

Quote:
the OM616 Mercedes diesel engine.

Yes Wasif bhai, Duke is right, it runs on the OM616, and i must say a very well shoe-horned and the previous owner who owned it had done a fantastic job on this cars restoration.

I would suggest duke to go ahead and buy it the way it is. You might need to do a very little TLC and a little attention to the electricals of this particular car, after which this can be a fantastic daily runner. All the best and do keep us updated.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 22:16   #501
Senior - BHPian

The OM 616 is a nice engine for this car and with the crazy petrol prices in India you will have more fun with the Diesel
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 23:15   #502
BHPian

pavan & wasif bhai, wat do you think is the right price for this car?
Old 4th June 2012, 00:10   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Yes Wasif bhai, Duke is right, it runs on the OM616, and i must say a very well shoe-horned and the previous owner who owned it had done a fantastic job on this cars restoration.
Quote:
The OM 616 is a nice engine for this car and with the crazy petrol prices in India you will have more fun with the Diesel
Thats a beautiful looking c124. Sad about the engine tho. Are you sure its an OM616? The 616 is the w123 240D/Tempo traveller engine. Kinda crude and noisy such a car. A much better option would have been the OM606 from the W124 E300D.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 00:31   #504
BHPian

First of all, this is called the C124 coupe specifically. Secondly, pretty much everybody in the Delhi v&c circle is aware of this car. She's a dark grey one, with a Punjab or CH registration if I remember right, coz I used to see her in my lane every other day, before 'that' mail was sent about it being on sale.

Having said all that, it's a beautiful,majestic car, but very, very sad about the engine. Not only is it anaemic for this sporty body, it is also terribly noisy - or was at least. Every time she passed me by, I couldn't help but feel tortured. I don't know about the condition of the whole engine, but the diesel pump was definitely out of whack; she also used to belch a lot of black smoke - my own E250D used to sound like death almost, in comparison!
Prabal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 01:15   #505
BHPian

so here are my questions again, what would you value the car at in its present shape? where can i find the original petrol engine for this car?
Old 4th June 2012, 08:26   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke
so here are my questions again, what would you value the car at in its present shape? where can i find the original petrol engine for this car?
Arvind Yes a coupe is definately collectible, however highest values are for cars with matching engine and chassis numbers, however if you arent looking for the car to appreciate and just looking for a enjoyable ride, as wasif has stated i would leave the diesel engine inside the car and continue to enjoy it as is. If longterm then buy a engine and keep it with you for future use. Values will be highest for originality, so if interiors etc are original i would say this car would be priced below 5l
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 08:56   #507
BANNED

Quote:
pavan & wasif bhai, wat do you think is the right price for this car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Arvind Yes a coupe is definately collectible, however highest values are for cars with matching engine and chassis numbers, however if you arent looking for the car to appreciate and just looking for a enjoyable ride, as wasif has stated i would leave the diesel engine inside the car and continue to enjoy it as is. If longterm then buy a engine and keep it with you for future use. Values will be highest for originality, so if interiors etc are original i would say this car would be priced below 5l
Duke, i agree with "the mole" on the pricing.

Last i remember it was offered under 3 lacs, and thats a killer price

Few Merc guru's here on the forum might help you with the petrol engine. All the best.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 09:13   #508
BHPian

Thanks Anmol, Pavan, Wasif Bhai, and practically everyone. I'm now a lot better prepared to deal with the realities. As much as the diesel sounds nice, I prefer a car in its orignal condition and would prefer to buy a petrol engine and fit it back in to bring it back to its original shape. My only fear! The seller also shouldn't be on Team-BHP, in which case, I'm playing with my cards open.
Old 4th June 2012, 09:51   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Anmol, Pavan, Wasif Bhai, and practically everyone. I'm now a lot better prepared to deal with the realities. As much as the diesel sounds nice, I prefer a car in its orignal condition and would prefer to buy a petrol engine and fit it back in to bring it back to its original shape. My only fear! The seller also shouldn't be on Team-BHP, in which case, I'm playing with my cards open.
What was the original petrol engine in it, a V8 and what capacity ? What is the badging on the rear of the car ....what numbers.

It might not be possible to locate the exact engine in India but if you are really keen I can help source it for you from the UAE.

You will have to rely on the pricing indicated by Pavan and the mole as I am out of the loop as far as pricing trends current in India

Or maybe you can find a 5 cylinder Diesel that would have come in the 300D or even better the 300TD, have it reconditioned and drop it in the car for better performance
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2012, 08:52   #510
BHPian

Quote:
What was the original petrol engine in it, a V8 and what capacity ? What is the badging on the rear of the car ....what numbers.
IIRC coupes didn't come with V8's.. the V8's were only the 4 liter and above engines and those came only in the sedans. The largest engine in a c124 was the 3.2 liter inline 6.
kevinephraim is offline   Reply With Quote