Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 8th June 2012, 14:55   #511
BHPian

Default Re: Vintage & Classic car valuation

Hi,
Recently there was an ad for a W108 Mercedes LHD. The body looked decent but original engine was lost (replaced with tempo OM616). What would be the reasonable price on it? Sorry that link seems to be lost, cant find it...

Last edited by car love : 8th June 2012 at 14:57.
car love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 15:40   #512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car love View Post
Hi,
Recently there was an ad for a W108 Mercedes LHD. The body looked decent but original engine was lost (replaced with tempo OM616). What would be the reasonable price on it? Sorry that link seems to be lost, cant find it...
Hi! Please check: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-india-88.html (Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India) post 1309. Maybe you are a bit late?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 16:30   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi! Please check: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...-india-88.html (Vintage & Classic Mercedes Benz Cars in India) post 1309. Maybe you are a bit late?

Cheers harit
Hi Harit,
That is not the one. It was similar though. Dieselised with OM616 engine. It was in a local paper also, have to fish it out later....What according to you will be a ballpark figure for such a car?...
Cheers
Old 8th June 2012, 18:59   #514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Harit,
That is not the one. It was similar though. Dieselised with OM616 engine. It was in a local paper also, have to fish it out later....What according to you will be a ballpark figure for such a car?...
Cheers
the one you are referring to must be the car in MYSORE with Nikesh mathew.you can find his number in the TBHP classified section (look for the vintage FORD ad)
also there is a w108 250S for sale here,but the car has been dieselised and also there is some alteration to the headlights
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 10:09   #515
Senior - BHPian

Internationally Fiat values are going up steadily, here is a mint select for sale in the united states on ebay. Last i saw the price was steadily climbing up with heightened interest thanks to fiats rentry in the US market with the 500. So grab your fiats in india while you can ;-)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...987+&viewitem=

Ps: the owner lists team bhp as a source for parts

Last edited by the mole : 10th June 2012 at 10:15.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 12:41   #516
BHPian

Gents, i managed to get a good look at the C124-E300 Coupe. The car is quite good cosmetically however the engine & gearbox are in shambles. My guess is that a new engine and gearbox will be needed apart from work on the suspension & new tyres. Can anyone help me with estimates for procuring the petrol engine that went into the E300, a gearbox and an estimate for suspension work. I would like to make the owner a reasonable offer, yet not burn myself in the bargain. While my desire is to be fair, i do not intend on getting steam rollled either.

Also, the car has PB plates, can it be transferred to Delhi?

Also, the car currently has a OM605 5-cyl diesel engine, NOT the OM6x6 as I had mentioned earlier.

Last edited by duke : 10th June 2012 at 12:50.
duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 13:22   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
No, it's no longer possible to get another state's registration transferred to Delhi and the NCR (and in 11 other cities in the ambit of the norms since 2010), unless one can furnish a Bharat Stage-IV certification from the manufacturer!! Obviously that isn't possible in this case! However, to be absolutely certain and nullify the possibility of overcoming that through one loophole, in case that provision still exists, please check if this car has entry and road taxes paid in Delhi (as that used to happen) and then ask at the RTO for an opinion; you may also visit AAUI for an opinion. AAUI membership is a good thing to have, they do help with the red-tape and legally, as is possible. I have benefited from them, be it a registration-related issue, or the renewal of my driving license after 40, etc.

Edit:
And, just to clarify, I'm in no way associated with the AAUI, whatsoever! They are not perfect either, hahaha!

Last edited by Prabal : 10th June 2012 at 13:37.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2012, 18:23   #518
BHPian

Since I was unable to find a solution to the issue, with a heavy heart i have to let go of this lady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke
Gents, i managed to get a good look at the C124-E300 Coupe. The car is quite good cosmetically however the engine & gearbox are in shambles. My guess is that a new engine and gearbox will be needed apart from work on the suspension & new tyres. Can anyone help me with estimates for procuring the petrol engine that went into the E300, a gearbox and an estimate for suspension work. I would like to make the owner a reasonable offer, yet not burn myself in the bargain. While my desire is to be fair, i do not intend on getting steam rollled either.

Also, the car currently has a OM605 5-cyl diesel engine, NOT the OM6x6 as I had mentioned earlier.
Old 14th June 2012, 18:48   #519
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke View Post
Since I was unable to find a solution to the issue, with a heavy heart i have to let go of this lady.
Do you mean to say that no one in Delhi will buy out of state vintage and classic cars? You could keep the Punjab registration, or register elsewhere, for example in your home town. If you were so keen on that car, why let go.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2012, 11:09   #520
BHPian

I was unable to find any assistance with locating a Petrol engine & gearbox for the C124-E300. That's the primary reason for not moving forward.

I can handle the Punjab registration with getting the car transferred to my father's name.

I am still keen on the car, but didn't want to get into a negotiation with the seller without having my house in order. It would be unfair to waste someone's time that way.

-Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Do you mean to say that no one in Delhi will buy out of state vintage and classic cars? You could keep the Punjab registration, or register elsewhere, for example in your home town. If you were so keen on that car, why let go.

Cheers harit
Old 15th June 2012, 13:09   #521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole

Ajay my two bits: At 6.5 lakhs if the car is in the condition as promised by the owner, its a great entry level car for a uninitiated enthusiast to drive to the next vintage car event. Will not appreciate and may loose a lakh or so if you were to sell again, but hey a great impulse purchase for someone who drives a brand new 40+ lakh car to enjoy the summer with kids.

I would buy just after rains and then pass it on at the end of summer, its that kind of a car. Cute and well restored, but not on my long term wishlist :-)

Thanks for reminding me about this car though.
If as he says all the parts were imported from the UK then the price is justified.
Ford 1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 16:03   #522
BHPian

This may be slightly off topic. I have seen W212 mercs that are one year old (2011 model) being sold for less than half the price when new on sites like Olx and Quikr. How can the values drop so drastically or are these in some way jinxed cars like accident damage etc. I called up a guy who claims his car is absolutely fine with no such event occurring. Anyone has any ideas about this??
Old 25th June 2012, 17:30   #523
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This may be slightly off topic. I have seen W212 mercs that are one year old (2011 model) being sold for less than half the price when new on sites like Olx and Quikr. How can the values drop so drastically or are these in some way jinxed cars like accident damage etc. I called up a guy who claims his car is absolutely fine with no such event occurring. Anyone has any ideas about this??
Yep this is OT. and Yep in general the Lux brand vehicles do loose about 40% value in the first year itself and drop to about a third of the original cost by the third year. With some exceptions (like the Fortuner for various reasons including reliability and shortage in the market) this is the trend for most vehicles costing in excess of 20L in India.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 09:34   #524
Team-BHP Support

This piece appeared the other day in the Economic Times.

Vintage & Classic car valuation-et.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 18:14   #525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This piece appeared the other day in the Economic Times.

Attachment 947741
Good article, i don't know how i missed this.

In India where most collectors don't have access to the really rare cars. Our very own micro environment seems to be developing. For instance i see increasingly, more and more value in rare vintages offered for 20+ lakh values then say the common classics like impalas etc. These are typically lower than the international value of these cars. However very few people except the hardcore collectors show interest in acquiring such cars. For new collectors The market here is driven by peoples perception of certain brands. Currently 50's Mercedes seem to be in Vogue. I see cars being traded at crazy prices that simply cannot be sustained going forward. But then to each his own.
the mole is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote