Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 26th September 2009, 20:51   #76
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Oh well... Who here said we want the cars "cheap"?

I am sure ajay99 didn't mean that we take a calculator and know the formula and start equating the prices of cars. Comeon...

What i was trying to say is this.

Lets take the above example.
Ponton: Seller says 11 lakhs, buyer says 7 lakhs. Both laugh, ridicule each other - not good. No one gets anything.

Ideal situation:

Seller says: Dekho beta (borrowing Harit's lines), all this has gone into this car. -> X+Y+Z+$+INR. That's why i quote 11 lakhs. Doesn't need to be down to the last paisa. But we make the buyer see the justification. One gets all this for this price. Simple.

Buyer says: No baba, bahot jyada hai. I was looking at a cheaper deal. Simple. End of story. Or he goes "right that's what i was looking for" and now the price looks justified.

What I was trying to suggest is that we have a method to this or the transparency that Harit's talking about.

Here we want to tackle situations where a genuine buyer and seller work it out amicably knowing what the other has come looking for and expects from the deal.

Instead of the take or leave it attitude that is prevalent presently. I am seller my price is final take it or leave it i don't need to give justifications. What we are trying to do is get beyond this.

Cannonball and ajay99 are on the same lines but probably we missed out on communicating it out in so many words. And in trying to get into specifics we came up with formulas and processes trying to make the other understand.

All of us here have a common and passionate interest, our interactions will do more good to us then harm. We all look forward to meeting all of you here.

There is a lot to learn and I am not one to let go of such opportunities.

A Happy Dassehara to all

Last edited by Spitfire : 26th September 2009 at 20:55.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 16:17   #77
Senior - BHPian

Harit & Spitfire the mature ones I completely agree with you guys I want to see genuine sellers and genuine buyers conrtol and run this market and not some @?", or upstarts! Unless guys like you set some examples and build a method about it, fools will act like fools I think it is a responsibility best carried out buy you guys. This is the sentiment with which I am contributing.

For wrong or right reasons my value system does not permit me to let my environment revolve around statusco, compromised ethics, substandard/selfish atitude, and the gennral lack of accountability that exist in doing anything for improving society in this country, it is more like to each to his own that prevails therefore I will always challenge and find better ways of improving society around me. I also find most mediocre people tend to find easy and unethical ways of gaining an edge on things in life which is what I felt when this whole topic started. Now with some better presentation and clarity I understand cheers and a Happy Happy Dasera.

Last edited by canonball : 27th September 2009 at 16:19.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 19:02   #78

Hi! I am new to the site & glad to see so many enlightened souls in this space. I love vintage & classic cars & have always wanted my 1st car to be one. I am finally in the market of one & have come across a 1961 190D, floor shift( not sure if that model had a floor shift ), orginial engine. The steering wheel, battery & the fintail lamp needs to be replaced. Body is in a good shape. Needs uphostery work & a good paint job. Am sure by the time I restore it to its full glory there may be other things that need to be worked on.

Need to know what the market value of such a car is since I am treading untrodden waters here. Would appreciate some help & guidance
sharlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 12:26   #79
Senior - BHPian

Sharlz is this a white car in bandra? You may need to post pics to really pin point exact price. I would reckon an immaculate (read show car) would fetch Rs. 3 to 6 lacs - this depending on the originality and accuracy of build up. You can start with 3 and deduct cost of all work needed to reach some ball park value I think.

To give you some idea a similar type of car (completely restored) was part of a 4 car trade recently where the value the owner reckons would be Rs. 2 to 3 lacs give or take
Old 16th November 2009, 21:26   #80
BHPian

Hi sharlz the 110 did not come with floorshift first of all when u decide to buy an old car try to buy the best original available so please post the pics to get an opinion from BHpians
imperial.s.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 08:58   #81

Default 190 D Pics as requested

Hi Guys! As requested attached are some pictures of the car. I am sorry for the cut job, I was just trying to reduce the size

Do let me know what you think. If there are any specific pictures that you require do let me know. Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage & Classic car valuation-1.gif  

Vintage & Classic car valuation-2.gif  

Vintage & Classic car valuation-3.gif  

Old 19th November 2009, 10:07   #82
Senior - BHPian

Nice car. those tail lights are not the real things though and by the looks of it original tail light appertures have been closed.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 10:50   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlz View Post
Hi Guys! As requested attached are some pictures of the car. I am sorry for the cut job, I was just trying to reduce the size

Do let me know what you think. If there are any specific pictures that you require do let me know. Cheers
Hi Sharlz,

See, I removed the icon put by you. Where is your self esteem?
Now to the car. Since you have said that you do not know much, I strongly advise that you check the car with someone who has basic knowledge. Your photos are not good enough for fully accurate advice, but when I see the colouring, finish, accessories, I think that she was made up to look nice and expect some horrors. I cannot make out the bodyline behind the rear door. It appears to bulge slightly.
New rubbers on windscreens are missing their chrome inserts. Grill looks in good condition, bumpers are rusty, if they can be rechromed has to be checked. Lots of details are wrong, rear light, parking light, wheelcaps, chrome on fin missing etc.
Interior to be checked, and mechanicals also. Do not jump into it. Valuation will depend on these factors also.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 11:34   #84
Senior - BHPian

Sharlz if you are not already a really detail oriented car guy and want to become one with this project I suggest staying away from this one. Too many things are inaccurate and since this is your first project (is it?) it is a big risk. There is a lot of substitution (not to miss rikshaw door mirrors/redisgined rear seats) and some trim parts may be difficult to procure. My suggetion go for a more simple accurate/orignal car which needs basic resto/tin job, paint, upholstry and some reburbishing of chrome. This will be a life time adventure with unknown outcome!

Is she an orignal diesel or RC book fixed matador diesel engine? By the looks of her she seems to fall in the matador category

Last edited by canonball : 19th November 2009 at 11:39.
Old 19th November 2009, 17:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

sharlz,
keep away from this car.
this car has a KLA number plate and is from Kerala.
It is a totally buggered up car.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 18:47   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlz View Post

Aiyoooooo

What on earth is that buggered up 190D..

Someone who did this requires

Anyone in fray, pick it up cheap, spend some nice $'s and the car can be got back to ORIGINAL.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2009, 19:12   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Aiyoooooo

What on earth is that buggered up 190D..

Someone who did this requires

Anyone in fray, pick it up cheap, spend some nice $'s and the car can be got back to ORIGINAL.
firstly this is not going to come cheap,the owner is quoting a 1.5lakhs for this car.
then restoring this car with genuine MERCEDES spares will cost a fortune
last but not least,check the history of this car before you buy
Old 19th November 2009, 20:37   #88
Senior - BHPian

another thing about this car,this car was for years in a place very close to the sea and lakes,so corrosion/rust is to be expected
Old 19th November 2009, 23:31   #89

Thanks for all the quick response & thanks Harit for removing the icon

Canonball - This car isnt from Bandra but if there is such a car out there for sale I am most defintely interested

The engine has the Merc logo so I assume it is original. Unfortunately the pic is too heavy to upload. Would have loved to upload it to get some expert opinion on it ( just few pictures of the exterior and I got a whole bunch of things I need to check up ..... I wonder what the pictures of the interiors & the engine would bring up )

It is an adventure alright and this will be my 1st car. My passion for vintage & classic cars has me hunting high & low for "the car". Most of the people I have contacted have "fully restored" cars which when prodded further result in a revelation of minor modification (Some people consider a change from a mercedes engine to a Matador engine just a minor modification)

This seemed like one of the better ones. The owner told me upfront that it needs work & it seems to have the original engine

Anyway, would anyone be able to tell me the cost of all the work that has been chalked up so far.

i.e.

1.New rubbers on windscreens are missing their chrome inserts.
2. Bumpers are rusty, need to be rechromed has to be checked.
3.Wrong details ie. rear light, parking light, wheelcaps, chrome on fin missing etc
4. Lot of substitution like miss rikshaw door mirrors
5. redisgined rear seats
6. trim parts which may be difficult to procure
7. The steering wheel isnt original
8. Anything else that can be listed

Thanks for the help

Cheers! Sharalene
Old 20th November 2009, 00:00   #90
Senior - BHPian

I would stay away from this car. The beauty in the finnies is the moulded dashboard and I am so sure that must be buggered up looking at the state of the exterior restoration. Most cosmetic dashboard parts for the finnies if LHD are easily available from the US. But cosmetics tail light lenses etc cost a bomb. Even the 190D insignia will cost you 50 dollars! not worth the effort.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote