Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 17th February 2010, 12:53   #106
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Now I don't have an S7 but I have some pretty great shaft driven competitors.
Are they in Goa? Would be great to have a look.

Quote:
Is it still mumbai registered?
Yes it is and still registered to my grandfather. The papers are there with the plastic round holder for the RC - a bit faded though. No insurance, no lifetax and no fitness. I think these are going to be a bit of an issue.

Quote:
Maybe you need to do some little bit of work on the bike now and then. If you need some help just ask.
Hey thanks a lot for the offer. Actually I might need a lot of help on this. I will surely trouble you if required.

Quote:
Just open it and give the frame and body parts for painting. Matt green sounds good. And then work on the engine gearbox and rest. Are you able to do a bit of repairing yourself?
I asked around for expertise on this bike. Rates quoted for overhauling and basic work is expensive plus no one wants to give a deadline.

With my job that involves constant travel and not having anyone follow up on the progress is a bit painful.

So right now the plan is to Do It Myself. Need to get hold of the various tools and manuals. I have a few now.

Quote:
You need to join this group classicglory : International Sunbeam S7 and S8 Group
Will do. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
My friend Mahesh's dad has smuggled out of Goa, VW engines in a raft swimming in the river in the days before liberation. His dad was very daring and took part in the liberation protest.
That name rings a bell. I think I have met him. But not sure though.

About the smuggling part. There are so many stories that I know of. Maybe for some other day.

Thanks again for the gesture. We will surely meet sometime in Goa.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 16:19   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Are they in Goa? Would be great to have a look.
Yes it is and still registered to my grandfather. The papers are there with the plastic round holder for the RC - a bit faded though. No insurance, no lifetax and no fitness. I think these are going to be a bit of an issue.
I asked around for expertise on this bike. Rates quoted for overhauling and basic work is expensive plus no one wants to give a deadline.
So right now the plan is to Do It Myself. Need to get hold of the various tools and manuals. I have a few now.
Thanks again for the gesture. We will surely meet sometime in Goa.
Spitfire
Long as you have the original books it is good. Because if it is the Tardeo RTO the records could be missing. So keep the books safe and secure. The lifetime and fitness need to be done before transfer. Do it yourself is a good way to go with a single vehicle. You're absoulutely sure nothing gets lost. My bikes are in Mumbai. Strangely two of my bikes came from Goa to mumbai after the liberation.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 17th February 2010 at 16:21.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 16:46   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Quote:
Spitfire
Long as you have the original books it is good. Because if it is the Tardeo RTO the records could be missing. So keep the books safe and secure. The lifetime and fitness need to be done before transfer.

Do it yourself is a good way to go with a single vehicle. You're absoulutely sure nothing gets lost. My bikes are in Mumbai. Strangely two of my bikes came from Goa to mumbai after the liberation.
Hi Spitfire,

Old books which are not upto date can be a real pain because no records. See, at first Mumbai had only one RTO, and records were kept in Tardeo. As Mumbai grew, Mumbai got 3 RTO's, Tardeo, Andheri and Ghatkopar with Ghatkopar office in Worli. So, going by addresses, the records of Tardeo were distributed into 3. Here a lot of defunct records got lost. And, Tardeo suffered a fire in their record room, so more mayham. Now, please look into your book carefully. Was the registration transferred to Redi? Because both Mumbai and Redi appear to be in the same state, the number would not change, but the address would. The records will be with the RTO in whose area the last residential address is to be found. Also, please check date of last tax paid.
If the last address is in Mumbai, you may send a PM, I will give you a suggestion which should help you, and also give a suggestion about tax to be paid. For those not in the know of things, the RTO fellows take advantage and you end up paying more than required, later refunds are impossible. I know, I have experienced this.
Do not hesitate to PM me.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2010, 17:18   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Long as you have the original books it is good. Because if it is the Tardeo RTO the records could be missing. So keep the books safe and secure. The lifetime and fitness need to be done before transfer.
Now you guys are scaring me. It indeed is Tardeo RTO. I thought it was still there.

The books are good fortunately.

Thanks for your help. I surely will come down to have a look at the bikes next time I am in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
See, at first Mumbai had only one RTO, and records were kept in Tardeo. As Mumbai grew, Mumbai got 3 RTO's, Tardeo, Andheri and Ghatkopar with Ghatkopar office in Worli. So, going by addresses, the records of Tardeo were distributed into 3. Here a lot of defunct records got lost.
I wasnt aware of the distribution of addresses. This might be a worry now. Since I have the papers getting them sorted shouldnt be an issue.

Quote:
And, Tardeo suffered a fire in their record room, so more mayham.
Oh oh...

Quote:
Now, please look into your book carefully. Was the registration transferred to Redi? Because both Mumbai and Redi appear to be in the same state, the number would not change, but the address would.
No there was no RTO in Redi and surroundings up until the late 90's. Now its Kudal in Sindhudurg district. Redi comes under this particular RTO. The address was never changed.

Quote:
The records will be with the RTO in whose area the last residential address is to be found.
The last area of residence is actually the address of a godown/office/workshop my grandfather owned in Girgaum area. It no longer belongs to us but the building I think is still there. I am not sure though.

The address was never changed.

Quote:
Also, please check date of last tax paid.
I need to verify that. I think since it had the plastic holder and the bike was in use till the early 80's It should be paid till then. My uncle was particular about that.

Quote:
Do not hesitate to PM me.
Thanks Harit. Really appreciate the gesture. I will surely get in touch with you if its required. I will take this up myself first and if i think i cant get too far I will come knocking

Again thanks Deutscheafrikar and Harit. I am in good hands now
Old 17th February 2010, 20:54   #110
Senior - BHPian

Spitfire I thought it would be tardeo. What Harit says is correct but I ddn't want to scare you with the fire at the RTO/ Long as you have your original books or even one original book you're ok. The complete file will be made new on the basis of your original book. Anyway Girgaum comes under Tardeo RTO. One of my bikes had its records destroyed in this tardeo RTO fire too.
Harit my bike records never went to Andheri even though the address was Juhu. They remained in Tardeo RTO, but for me that was a better place to deal with.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 17th February 2010 at 20:58.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 12:45   #111
Senior - BHPian

talking about pricing, here is a guy who is quoting the price of 2 restored cars of the same vintage His demand is Rs.11 lakhs for a 1956 DODGE Kingsway sedan...

Dodge Kingsway 1956 For Sale., thrissur, India 3775457
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 12:58   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
His demand is Rs.11 lakhs for a 1956 DODGE Kingsway sedan...
"Looks" like a well restored car. The spares for this car are available.

Is the engine original, does not say anywhere in the ad.
Old 24th February 2010, 13:13   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
talking about pricing, here is a guy who is quoting the price of 2 restored cars of the same vintage His demand is Rs.11 lakhs for a 1956 DODGE Kingsway sedan...

Dodge Kingsway 1956 For Sale., thrissur, India 3775457
Ajay

Here we go again....you don't seem to be comfortable with the fact that anyone who owns anything can ask for whatever he wants for it.

Now if it sell at thta price is an entirely different thing but to say its equal of two restored cars is not accurate.

How can you put a figure on a restored car...the costs will be different for similar restorations performed at different shops and let alone concours restorations.

I suggest taking the owners quote price as a start point for negotiations, that too if you are seriously contemplating buying it and not to find faults with the owners when you have no intention of buying said item.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 15:28   #114
Senior - BHPian

She indeed looks good and seems complete but wasif there is a reason for Ajay and what he is saying let me give you an example I was offered the exact same replica car meaning color/condition/orignality (may even be the same) etc for 3.5 lacs in Mumbai by someone I knew he sold it for there about not too long ago now anyone has the right to comment if someone quotes 11 lacs!! Sir this is a democracy and you will find 99% percent people saying the same thing! It is only people like you and me that understand that this is a great car but there is almost 4 times difference between the two prices.

Wasif I don't think you can control peoples behaviour and approach and come to the conclusion that they may or may not be interested in buying and say should not comment on owners. What I wonder most is why does it affect you?!! Do you have anything to loose or a vested interest if not why give such vibes anyone can decide to buy it at the spur of the moment or think it is expensive. I also feel that you are trying put owners in some special citizens slot which is not the case I have found Ajay to have a lot of knowledge and depth. I have also taken the trouble of chatting with him at lenght to understand the same. He may perhaps have or not have the same depth and exposure as you but that does not mean his opinion should be stage managed by any one not your or me. This is not some street conner where some riff raffs are standing and diluting an exchange or heckling this is forum where everyone bring knowldge and experience and no one lies not at least as far as I can see. On that note sir please tell me when have you seen a similar car being quoted by anyone at 11 lacs?

I find these comments coming from you and others like you strange perhaps you could visit international sites like MB froums etc you will find complete openness and transparency something I find being suppressed here.

In the hope of some constructive exchange lets not get insecure and fight cheers mate

Last edited by canonball : 24th February 2010 at 15:36.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 16:32   #115
Senior - BHPian

[quote=wasif;1749915]Ajay

Here we go again....you don't seem to be comfortable with the fact that anyone who owns anything can ask for whatever he wants for it.

Now if it sell at thta price is an entirely different thing but to say its equal of two restored cars is not accurate.

How can you put a figure on a restored car...the costs will be different for similar restorations performed at different shops and let alone concours restorations.

I suggest taking the owners quote price as a start point for negotiations, that too if you are seriously contemplating buying it and not to find faults with the owners when you have no intention of buying said item.[/quote]

wasif,
I know you have good indepth knowledge about classic cars.
but i cannot even remorsely agree with your generic statement that owners can ask any price for what they own.I have never heard such an unreasonable argument like that .does that mean a mark 1 ambassador owner can ask one crore and a ponton owner 10 crores !!!
such quotes always remain in the public domain and if and when a car sells like this the exact price usually remains in the private domain.so other owners/sellers can/is always use the demanded price as the reference point for their pricing.also first of all how can you say with confirmity that ""have no intention of buying it"".
also one important question, why are you so touchy when we criticize "unreasonable"' prices quoted by some owners/dealers.
for a moment think from the buyers perspective also.
recently there was an ad in this forum for a similar nice 1955 Dodge and no one criticized the quoted price of 4 lakhs or so.

Last edited by ajay99 : 24th February 2010 at 16:34. Reason: correction
Old 24th February 2010, 16:40   #116
Senior - BHPian

Dear Canonball.

Let me start by saying I don't have any vested interest in this.

But look at it this way...we come to this forum to read about and enjoy discussions on this subject.

Now in light of the above it get a bit tiring to read these constant references to prices quoted being illogical, particulary from the gent in quetion, who in my opinion is a bit abraisive in his dialogues and is know to go on and on withthsi line of thought !

What the price is and should be in pure speculation in this hobby and I can't see why you and some others are not able to see this point.

It would be fun to discuss pricing but then to opine that it is worth two such restored cars is a bit like pulling a rabbit out of a hat...

I love discussions but not the same repeated lament that the owners are asking for way too much.. well if that is the way you feel then you are free to negotiate with the owner and thas it.

If I am not plannng to buy a certian item I wouldn't waste my breath saying the price is too high...because its none of my business to do so and thats all.

Ajay.

I just read your post.

The prices are determained by availability and so an amby owner will nto be in a position to ask for the prices quoted by you cause you will go elsewhere and get a similar item at a much lesser price.

The scarcity adds to the value and there are no benchmark prices to hold a seller up to. Sometimes in a distress sale you will get a car for way below what you feel is right and I am sure you will take it ?

Last edited by wasif : 24th February 2010 at 16:43.
Old 24th February 2010, 17:22   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Dear Canonball.

Now in light of the above it get a bit tiring to read these constant references to prices quoted being illogical, particulary from the gent in quetion, who in my opinion is a bit abraisive in his dialogues and is know to go on and on withthsi line of thought )

you must have meant "abrasive'' , if pointing out genuine facts is being called abrasive then ,I cannot say anything about it.

(What the price is and should be in pure speculation in this hobby and I can't see why you and some others are not able to see this point.

It would be fun to discuss pricing but then to opine that it is worth two such restored cars is a bit like pulling a rabbit out of a hat...)

that is my humble opinion only...

(I love discussions but not the same repeated lament that the owners are asking for way too much.. well if that is the way you feel then you are free to negotiate with the owner and thas it.

If I am not plannng to buy a certian item I wouldn't waste my breath saying the price is too high...because its none of my business to do so and thats all.)

that may be your style and attitude you cannot say that all others should be like that

(Ajay.

I just read your post.

The prices are determained by availability and so an amby owner will nto be in a position to ask for the prices quoted by you cause you will go elsewhere and get a similar item at a much lesser price.)

this is exactly my view also my only question as cannonball pointed out this is the first time I am hearing a kingsway being quoted for more than a million rupees.

(The scarcity adds to the value and there are no benchmark prices to hold a seller up to. Sometimes in a distress sale you will get a car for way below what you feel is right and I am sure you will take it ?
of course, but if people like you support these humungous quotes , such '' distress sales '' are not likely in the near future!!!

Last edited by ajay99 : 24th February 2010 at 17:26. Reason: multi quote not functional
Old 24th February 2010, 17:42   #118
Senior - BHPian

Wasif this is the Valuation thread what do you expect some one to put here just a price and thats it no begining no end no caption? The very reason I came up with this section is to put in opinions which I never find forthcoming from guys like you seems like you guys operate like a free maeson/mayson society?! They too are not very active now. Why don't you share what prices you have seen similar cars transact at? I am sure you have seen them change hands!!!?

Speedy was about to pay close to 9 odd lacs for his S600, one phone call between us and another S280 ad I gave him of a similar running car for sale was 5.5lacs. He was able to use this data and go back to the owner a prinicpled guy and buy the car at 5.5 lacs. The idea is to help fellow members and not create a private market for some.

Since you have been in this for a while care to share some wisdom on how do you negotiate with a guy asking for 11 lacs when you want to spend 5? When is the last time you tried buying a vintage/classic in India, all I see is you have cars and sold them in the past nothing about buying share with us what you would do, you never know it may help so many people

He may be direct and aggressive but that still does not dilute what he is saying, infact off late I see more satirical humor from him than anything else!

That aside Wasif if he did not post anything on this car we perhaps would not come know about it and I would never find out that there is someone asking for 11 lacs for kingway. That aside he is an adult so I don't think we need to patronise him you can simple ignore his post if you like

Last edited by canonball : 24th February 2010 at 17:57.
canonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 17:49   #119
Senior - BHPian

here comes another car for sale asking price is only 63500 dirhams.
mini copper for sale - Mumbai - Cars
Old 24th February 2010, 17:55   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by canonball View Post
Wasif Speedy was about to pay close to 9 odd lacs for his S600, one phoen call between us and another S280 ad I gave him of a similar running car for sale was 5.5lacs. He was able to use this data and go back to the owner a prinicpled guy and buy the car at 5.5 lacs. The idea is to help fellow members and not create a private market for some.

He may be direct and aggressive but that still does not dilute what he is saying, infact off late I see more satirical humor from him than anything else!

That aside Wasif if he did not post anything on this car we perhaps would not come know about it and I would never find out that there is someone asking for 11 lacs for kingway. That aside he is an adult so I don't think we need to patronise him you can simple ignore his post
Now we are getting somewhere.

speak to speedy and I am sure he will say he was comfortable with teh ( L price hense he was about to buy but I gather you helped and he saved a lot instead.

So its all about negotiation and market forces isn't it ?

yes teh idea is to help fellow members as is provved here but don't you think any owner has the right to ask for whatever he feels. Its up to the buyer to negotiate further. It will ultimately come down to how bad the buyer wants it, how much he can pay and how bad the seller needs that kind of cash.

However much we or anyone lampoons the owner for asking for the moon will not help in this cas will it ?

Thats just the point I have always been trying to stress here.

Way back in the mid nineties I paid 1,25 L for a really great Willys MB and I was laughed at. Suffice to say four years later I was able to sell it for way much more than that and the owner now is being offered around ten times that I am told.