Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 12:29   #226
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,336
Thanked: 874 Times
Default Sunbeam Talbot

this 1948 Sunbeam Talbot Supreme was originally from Kerala,had a single digit number when to Bombay where it underwent restoration
anyone has any idea of its present location?
Attached Thumbnails
Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-car.jpg  

Attached Images
  
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 13:17   #227
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 331 Times
Default Re: Sunbeam Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
this 1948 Sunbeam Talbot Supreme was originally from Kerala,had a single digit number when to Bombay where it underwent restoration
anyone has any idea of its present location?
Thats actually a Sunbeam Talbot Drop Head Coupe...there was one in sliver with a garage owner in Hyderabad way back with wire wheels.

This guy wouldnt sell it nor would he let anyone come see it close.

I saw it once way back after he had moved his garage and lost the covered parking.....it was falling apart....what a sad end to a cool car.

Wonder what happened to it ....maybe Stanher can check on it !
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 17:47   #228
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default Re: Sunbeam Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
this 1948 Sunbeam Talbot Supreme was originally from Kerala,had a single digit number when to Bombay where it underwent restoration anyone has any idea of its present location?
KLQ 1 was with a collector in Mumbai, then shifted to another in Mumbai who sold it to a dealer in Chennai. Now not in touch with him, but he had mentioned that he had sold it on.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 20:12   #229
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,336
Thanked: 874 Times
Default Re: Sunbeam Talbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
KLQ 1 was with a collector in Mumbai, then shifted to another in Mumbai who sold it to a dealer in Chennai. Now not in touch with him, but he had mentioned that he had sold it on.

Cheers harit
Thanks haritji, can you mention the name of the chennai dealer,if not here at least by pm.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 21:29   #230
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 63
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a 54 Plymouth cabrio on display at a Hyderabad event in Feb 2008 - regn is Delhi 888, but DHB not DLI. Is it the same car?

Attachment 254605
Thanks for this lead.Sorry for replying late as was looking for a old photo with the car in it but cant find it .I think this is the same one, used to be Red with black top then my father sold it to someone in Jamshedpur who painted it white and used it for renting out for weddings.Can you let me know the contact number of the owner.Would love to catch up with the history of this car.
Thanks a lot,
Singh.

Wondering if any one of you have seen a Mark 2 Ambassador with reg. DLV 8000.
Was my grandfathers car n then my father had it for a long time .It left the family late 80s.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 9th August 2012 at 22:25. Reason: Consecutive posts
P.SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 17:56   #231
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,320
Thanked: 5,960 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Does anyone remember a 1947 Cadillac saloon, BMY 4788? Owned by a friend decades ago. Does it survive?

What about BMZ 1908, a Jaguar from Bombay that used to belong to one Mr. K R Cama?
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2012, 20:47   #232
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 1,799 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Can you get hold of a snap and what is the family's name as that might strike a bell than the number. A car was at Nana Chowk sitting along with a Chrysler ... where did they eventually go I have no idea. The Cadillac might be the same car.

Cheers
kasli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 12:55   #233
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Does anyone remember a 1947 Cadillac saloon, BMY 4788? Owned by a friend decades ago.................
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Can you get hold of a snap and what is the family's name as that might strike a bell than the number. A car was at Nana Chowk sitting along with a Chrysler ... Cheers
In the 1980's there was a young Parsi gent who owned a sedan and convertible 1947 Cadillac. His name was probably Pochkhanwala. Unexpectedly he expired, the family then disposed of the cars. The convertible went to Shri Dossa, and I hear that it has moved to north India. The colours where blue and green. At that time there was another convertible Caddy of 1947, belonged to a theater owner, and the Phoenix Mills car was as yet undiscovered, and that was the third convertible car in Mumbai.
So maybe Karl has to give some more details

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2012, 13:21   #234
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
In the 1980's there was a young Parsi gent who owned a sedan and convertible 1947 Cadillac. His name was probably Pochkhanwala. Unexpectedly he expired, the family then disposed of the cars. The convertible went to Shri Dossa, and I hear that it has moved to north India. The colours where blue and green. At that time there was another convertible Caddy of 1947, belonged to a theater owner, and the Phoenix Mills car was as yet undiscovered, and that was the third convertible car in Mumbai.
So maybe Karl has to give some more details

Cheers harit
There used to be a convertible Caddy of '47/'48 with the Morarka's of Carmichael road, around '75 it was shifted to their Hospet house(they had a 220s ponton there too), and I have seen it there till '90s. It came for one of their grandsons marriage to Mumbai at Hotel President in '02 and then went back. Any idea if it is still with them.
Any idea of the Morvi's Buick?
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 01:30   #235
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 1,799 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post

There used to be a convertible Caddy of '47/'48 with the Morarka's of Carmichael road, around '75 it was shifted to their Hospet house(they had a 220s ponton there too), and I have seen it there till '90s. It came for one of their grandsons marriage to Mumbai at Hotel President in '02 and then went back. Any idea if it is still with them.
Any idea of the Morvi's Buick?
The car was a 1949 Cadillac of the Morarka 's and it used to be parked in 2002 on the top of the pump near JASLOK not KUNDANMAL pump and the 220 s is still there . The Morvi car was a beautiful series 70 Cadillac of the year 1954 it's since vanished with a DESOTO convertible both in super nic

Cheers
kasli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 14:28   #236
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
There used to be a convertible Caddy of '47/'48 with the Morarka's ......... Any idea of the Morvi's Buick?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
......... The Morvi car was a beautiful series 70 Cadillac of the year 1954 it's since vanished with a DESOTO convertible both in super nic Cheers
Any picture of Morarka's Caddy? They also had a lovely Chevy 1959 sedan.
Morvi cars were lying in Pune in Koregaon Park in their Bungalow. There were three cars, a Chevy 1958 partially dismantled which is now in Mumbai, the Caddy pretty dull but complete, and the 1954 DeSoto convertible which was partially dismantled, lying at the back of the house. Now where are they? I know that some dealers were trying to make a deal, what else do dealers do?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2012, 15:57   #237
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOMBAY
Posts: 1,762
Thanked: 1,799 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

Any picture of Morarka's Caddy? They also had a lovely Chevy 1959 sedan.
Morvi cars were lying in Pune in Koregaon Park in their Bungalow. There were three cars, a Chevy 1958 partially dismantled which is now in Mumbai, the Caddy pretty dull but complete, and the 1954 DeSoto convertible which was partially dismantled, lying at the back of the house. Now where are they? I know that some dealers were trying to make a deal, what else do dealers do?

Cheers harit
Well the Caddy is gone to the main palace I was told. Property has been sold and the DESOTO is bright blue and completed

The 59 Chevy of Morarka is seen on the road on Sunday around 11/12 headed to the OBEROI and regularly fills up at the west side pump. Still moving well . Caddy snaps I have will search and send

Dealers do bring old snaps of the Morvi cars but no realistic connect

Cheers

Last edited by kasli : 22nd December 2012 at 15:59.
kasli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2012, 12:35   #238
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Well the Caddy is gone to the main palace I was told. Property has been sold and the DESOTO is bright blue and completed

The 59 Chevy of Morarka is seen on the road on Sunday around 11/12 headed to the OBEROI and regularly fills up at the west side pump. Still moving well . Caddy snaps I have will search and send

Dealers do bring old snaps of the Morvi cars but no realistic connect

Cheers
The Morvi Caddy, Desoto, and the Buick are for sale.
The Morarka '59 Impala is in Mumbai seen once in a while. Their 220S and Caddy is not to be seen, could be at their Hospet Mill.
scooby05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 08:39   #239
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 110
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post

In the 1980's there was a young Parsi gent who owned a sedan and convertible 1947 Cadillac. His name was probably Pochkhanwala. Unexpectedly he expired, the family then disposed of the cars. The convertible went to Shri Dossa, and I hear that it has moved to north India. The colours where blue and green. At that time there was another convertible Caddy of 1947, belonged to a theater owner, and the Phoenix Mills car was as yet undiscovered, and that was the third convertible car in Mumbai.
So maybe Karl has to give some more details

Cheers harit
Talking about 1947 Cadillac. Film star Nimmi owned a dark blue 47 Caddy convertible in the 50-early 60 . It was brought to Meerut by a business man who was a cinema owner and was also a financial and distributor. The Green Caddy was in immaculate condition and was seen frequently in local weddings. I was a in high school and lived in the same area as the gentleman. My brother insured this and other cars of this family. He showed me the papers for the Caddy, the owner being Nawab Begum which was the real name of Nimmi ! The car was a true classic and was lovingly taken care of. Amitabh Bacchan , in a magazine interview has mentioned this very car . This very wealthy family of Meerut had a weakness for good cars. Their collection included a 55 Buick (red & ivory) special 2 dr hardtop, a 52 Jaguar mk II saloon, a 51 Pontiac Catalina 4 dr sedan, a 57 Chevrolet BelAir, a 46. Chrysler Windsor , a 47 Plymouth and of course the Caddy Convertible . Perhaps, a BHP member from Meerut will also recall this family from the Jali Kothi area of Meerut.
priyo is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 10:29   #240
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,320
Thanked: 5,960 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Seeing this recently posted roadster,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3093800

I am reminded of another car. As a child I remember there used to be a Brigadier in Pune driving an immaculately maintained Singer roadster, silver in colour. Maybe it had black fenders, I'm not sure. His name was Brig. Bajaj, and that is all I can remember. Does it ring any bells?

Which brings me to another car there used to be a slowly junking white post 67 Beetle in a bungalow in Koregaon Park, also with the name Bajaj, long since gone.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible KPS Post-War 164 30th November 2016 17:20
Amazing True Story of Things Lost & Found DueLLeR Street Experiences 37 25th July 2012 14:55
Vintage & Classics at the Auto Expo 2010 S.B.Jatti Vintage Cars & Classics in India 32 7th March 2010 03:16
YetiBlog® - Tales of lost and found and surrendered on airlines Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 54 11th June 2008 16:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:51.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks