Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2014, 17:44   #256
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 63
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.SINGH View Post
Hi Karlos,
Sorry to get back so late,was wondering if u can tell me more about this Playmoth that ur uncle has in HYD n if he is willing to sell it.if possible can u send me his number so i can find out more about its origins as it seems like the one we had.
Thanks,
Singh.
Hi Karlos,
Was wondering if u could get some news on that Plymouth of your uncles.
P.SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 17:50   #257
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 63
Thanked: 2 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Hi, does anyone know about a Ambassador Mk2 Reg.no. DLV 8000.Please do let me know.
Thanks
Singh.
P.SINGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 21:50   #258
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,092
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Also, hunting for our family Lambretta.

Bearing Nellore regn APN/9731.

Last seen at Nagpur in 2007.

The scooter in her glory days had a dual tone brown/white colour combination.

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 9th February 2014 at 21:51.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2014, 12:16   #259
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,329
Thanked: 5,995 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.SINGH View Post
Hi Karlos,
Was wondering if u could get some news on that Plymouth of your uncles.
Hi,

The car was owned by DKG's uncle, not mine I just happened to find a picture of it online.
karlosdeville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:54   #260
BHPian
 
mbz180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 800
Thanked: 449 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

I'm sure our Bombay friends can shed some light on these cars. In around 2002/2003 when I was in college, I had gone to Bombay to catch up with my batch mates who were in college there. I stayed with them, which was a paying guest sort of arrangement in an area called "Gowalia Tank", just behind Napean Sea road. One day, a friend told me that there were a couple of old cars parked in the garage in the opposite building which was an oldish 2 storeyed structure.

We approached the guy who was the owner/caretaker of the premises and asked if we could have a look at the cars and he was happy to show them. One was a yellow W123 Merc, well maintained. Another was a massive bronze metallic 1976/77/78 Cadillac 4 door sedan. Looked mint.

The 3rd and best car was a 1946/47 Chrysler Windsor in a light shade of pale green and very authentic looking coffee coloured cloth/velour upholstery. I was honestly amazed at the authenticity and originality of the entire car, inside out, and more so because the car was mint, like it had hardly seen the roads. Safely tucked away in an obscure lane behind Napean Sea road, it was the highlight of my trip. I wasn't carrying a camera:

Are these cars seen in Bombay events?

Last edited by mbz180 : 22nd February 2014 at 10:57.
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2014, 14:11   #261
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,092
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
The 3rd and best car was a 1946/47 Chrysler Windsor in a light shade of pale green and very authentic looking coffee coloured cloth/velour upholstery. I was honestly amazed at the authenticity and originality of the entire car, inside out, and more so because the car was mint, like it had hardly seen the roads. Safely tucked away in an obscure lane behind Napean Sea road.
Could the Windsor be BMY/5763? It is in a somewhat greenish or turquoiseish shade.

Low chances. But possible. Karl is the best person to elaborate about this.

Cheers!

Last edited by FINTAIL : 22nd February 2014 at 14:14.
FINTAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 13:06   #262
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
I believe this car was at Nagpur with an owner till about 5-6 years ago.He may have owned it for a few years. I will post its pictures soon.
Anjan_c2007, I have admired your pristine Landmaster as I had one for about 20 years (1982 to 2002). I do have a set of logos for the mudguard and possibly a pair of tail lamp covers in red plastic (Indian) and a pair of parklamps (Indian make) with additional plastic lenses new.
Meanwhile noting the Nagpur registration of your car I was wondering if you could help me trace the whereabouts of a Rover75 - MPJ2100 owned by Mr. Kalyan Adhikari of Omen Engineering Works, Civil lines Nagpur. His telephone number in those days was 32052. Some of his close friends were Mr. Naidu, Mr Bose, and Mr. Saranjame, who had taken a dealership for RAMONA mopeds (he used to have a Cream coloured Fiat 1100D MHN 3577 in those days) was the youngest amongst his friends. Kindly assist me if you can.
I also remember that there was a single owner Ford Consul BYJ 88 and an Austin seven BYJ 44 in Dhantoli area at a house named Ganesh Bhavan and it now probably belongs to the son of Mr. Krishna Rao by name Balvinayak or his brother Raju (and if my recall is correct their residence tel number was 24488) I wish I could regain contact, I'm contactable on +919980077971 and am at Bangalore.
Karadi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2014, 23:03   #263
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,326
Thanked: 3,974 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
Anjan_c2007, I have admired your pristine Landmaster as I had one for about 20 years (1982 to 2002). I do have a set of logos for the mudguard and possibly a pair of tail lamp covers in red plastic (Indian) and a pair of parklamps (Indian make) with additional plastic lenses new.
Meanwhile noting the Nagpur registration of your car I was wondering if you could help me trace the whereabouts of a Rover75 - MPJ2100 owned by Mr. Kalyan Adhikari of Omen Engineering Works, Civil lines Nagpur. His telephone number in those days was 32052. Some of his close friends were Mr. Naidu, Mr Bose, and Mr. Saranjame, who had taken a dealership for RAMONA mopeds (he used to have a Cream coloured Fiat 1100D MHN 3577 in those days) was the youngest amongst his friends. Kindly assist me if you can.
I also remember that there was a single owner Ford Consul BYJ 88 and an Austin seven BYJ 44 in Dhantoli area at a house named Ganesh Bhavan and it now probably belongs to the son of Mr. Krishna Rao by name Balvinayak or his brother Raju (and if my recall is correct their residence tel number was 24488) I wish I could regain contact, I'm contactable on +919980077971 and am at Bangalore.
Thanks Karadi for reminiscing the good old times in the Orange City. Dada Adhikari passed away. I will post more about Dada Adhikari, who nevertheless was an interesting personality and among the best mechanics and garage owners of Nagpur once upon a time. I never knew about the later owner of the Fiat MHN 3577.This was owned by Adv B.A. Masodkar, of Dhantoli, father of my friend Rajiv, who bought it new. Adv Masodkar afterwards was elevated as Justice of the Mumbai High Court and later elected as a Rajya Sabha member. He passed away about a decade ago.The Fiat was moonstone in colour in its original avatar and had the earliest 1100 D 's square slotted grille and blue dialed speedos and the two other meters..
Yes indeed, the Rao's owned the two cars and lived in Dhantoli. The Austin was found parked at the Saraf's residence, Shreeram Bhavan sometime in the late 1990's.I was told that they had bought it.The Ford Consul BYJ 88 was last sighted at a Hitavada Rally more than a decade ago. I am sure that the car has been sold and has gone to some place outside Nagpur. BYJ 44 was a daily driver till the 1980's and BYJ 88 even till sometime in the 1990's.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 1st March 2014 at 23:05.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 22:17   #264
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 73
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Thanks Karadi for reminiscing the good old times in the Orange City. Dada Adhikari passed away. I will post more about Dada Adhikari, who nevertheless was an interesting personality and among the best mechanics and garage owners of Nagpur once upon a time. I never knew about the later owner of the Fiat MHN 3577.This was owned by Adv B.A. Masodkar, of Dhantoli, father of my friend Rajiv, who bought it new. Adv Masodkar afterwards was elevated as Justice of the Mumbai High Court and later elected as a Rajya Sabha member. He passed away about a decade ago.The Fiat was moonstone in colour in its original avatar and had the earliest 1100 D 's square slotted grille and blue dialed speedos and the two other meters..
Yes indeed, the Rao's owned the two cars and lived in Dhantoli. The Austin was found parked at the Saraf's residence, Shreeram Bhavan sometime in the late 1990's.I was told that they had bought it.The Ford Consul BYJ 88 was last sighted at a Hitavada Rally more than a decade ago. I am sure that the car has been sold and has gone to some place outside Nagpur. BYJ 44 was a daily driver till the 1980's and BYJ 88 even till sometime in the 1990's.
Thank you for taking the trouble to respond in detail. I worked as an hobbyist apprentice with dada Adhikari in the year 19709 just before I joined engineering college at Mysore after my B.Sc which I completed in Sept '70. Therefore for a good six months or so I was associated with Dada and Omen Engineering Works at Civil lines, and I came across his friends, Mr. Naidu, Mr. Bose, Mr. Saranjame, Mr. Mohota, Mr. Bhot, Dr. Admane of Saoner, and others. His usual place for Chai was the Liberty Restaurant opposite the school and adjacent to Liberty Cinema where he would pick up BOP pekoe tea for brewing at home. He used to enjoy Masala Dosa. His diagnostic skills for cars was amazing and his treasures were the Adler and Rover 75(I wonder where MPJ 2100 is ?). It is sad to know that he passed away. He was always rueing that he never managed to pass his SSc but was very good at spoken & written english and was an avid reader of Stephen Leacock's humorous books. The world has lost an ace mechanic, nay expert with cars. Please update me on all information about the cars in Nagpur. I believe there was a 1.5 liter Jaguar BYJ 15 - used to see it in Sadar Bazaar. Please send me any photos of interest. Thanks.
Karadi is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2014, 22:35   #265
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,326
Thanked: 3,974 Times
Default Re: Pics: Vintage & Classic cars in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karadi View Post
His diagnostic skills for cars was amazing and his treasures were the Adler and Rover 75(I wonder where MPJ 2100 is ?). It is sad to know that he passed away.

Please update me on all information about the cars in Nagpur. I believe there was a 1.5 liter Jaguar BYJ 15 - used to see it in Sadar Bazaar. Please send me any photos of interest. Thanks.
Nice nostalgic memories of yore Karadi, related to your Nagpur days. The Rover has reached Jaipur from the information I could gather.
The 1.5 L Jaguar BYJ 15 is presently with Dr Subir Mukherjee, who maintains it with pride. It was originally belonging to the late Justice Shri M. Hidaytullah (India's ex- Vice President), who owned it while doing his LLB at Nagpur. He sold it to the late Mr D.P. R. Cassad, owner of the Nagpur Electric Light and Power Company Ltd (NELP), the company that supplied electricity in Nagpur till the 1970's.Mr Cassad sold it to Dr Mukherjee.
You can see pictures of Nagpur cars in the following links:

Older Rally Pictures From the Orange City - Nagpur

Pics: Vintage Car Rally Nagpur 2007

Nagpur Vintage Car Rally on 13th February, 2011

JCI Orange City & The Hitavada Vintage Car Rally - Nagpur 2013



http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ws-events.html (Central India Vintage Automotive Association (CIVAA) - News and Events)


But must say that the great cars of Nagpur of yester years have all been either scrapped or have been sold out.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 21:03   #266
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,329
Thanked: 5,995 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Seeing this recently posted roadster,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3093800

I am reminded of another car. As a child I remember there used to be a Brigadier in Pune driving an immaculately maintained Singer roadster, silver in colour. Maybe it had black fenders, I'm not sure. His name was Brig. Bajaj, and that is all I can remember. Does it ring any bells?

Which brings me to another car there used to be a slowly junking white post 67 Beetle in a bungalow in Koregaon Park, also with the name Bajaj, long since gone.
This shiny Singer attended the recent event in Bombay, and turns out is the same car I was asking of earlier. Glad to see its still in the same hands, and in great condition

Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics-bajaj.jpg
karlosdeville is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2014, 15:38   #267
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,329
Thanked: 5,995 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Does anyone remember the following Plymouths in Pune?

- a black car registered BML 6625
- a gold/brown car registered MTP 9727

I have no more details, had jotted it down as a kid.
karlosdeville is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 14:58   #268
BHPian
 
Impala59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 101
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Can anyone tell me about the Impala that was used by the Mayor of Mumbai (Mr. Kulkarni) from the year 1969-1970? He was a relative (Not very close) actually. Although I have never met the person himself or seen the car in photographs, I always hear stories from my grandmom about how smooth and luxurious the car was. She even told me how it was a status symbol in those days and grabbed eyeballs everywhere it went!
Impala59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 21:49   #269
Senior - BHPian
 
FINTAIL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bombay / Poona
Posts: 1,092
Thanked: 1,073 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala59 View Post
. Although I have never met the person himself or seen the car in photographs, I always hear stories from my grandmom about how smooth and luxurious the car was. She even told me how it was a status symbol in those days and grabbed eyeballs everywhere it went!
Not a 1959 Impala, by any chance, is it?

In the Bombay mayor's garage, there used to be a Chevrolet bearing registration MRY/4444. Or 5555. Brownish in colour.

Impala's were excellent status symbols indeed. Just the other day, I was cribbing with my grandfather, about the latest tin crate in our family. How useless these modern day mass produced cars are! - Said I.

He laughed. "Arre beta, when you grow up, just get an Impala for yourself!"

My reaction- They went out of circulation like- decades ago!

But inwardly, that was the first time I truly realised. Impala's truly were considered to be THE CAR, in those days.

Last edited by FINTAIL : 21st December 2014 at 21:52.
FINTAIL is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2014, 22:31   #270
BHPian
 
Impala59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 101
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Where is it now? - Lost & Found Classics

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINTAIL View Post
Not a 1959 Impala, by any chance, is it?

In the Bombay mayor's garage, there used to be a Chevrolet bearing registration MRY/4444. Or 5555. Brownish in colour.

Impala's were excellent status symbols indeed. Just the other day, I was cribbing with my grandfather, about the latest tin crate in our family. How useless these modern day mass produced cars are! - Said I.

He laughed. "Arre beta, when you grow up, just get an Impala for yourself!"

My reaction- They went out of circulation like- decades ago!

But inwardly, that was the first time I truly realised. Impala's truly were considered to be THE CAR, in those days.
I am not sure about the year of the car. IMPALA is all what my grandmom remembers! I can totally understand your grandfather's point!
I wonder what it must be like roaming in one in the 60s. So classy!

MRY must be a registration number from 1963-1964(???) Any idea about the model?
Impala59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our Lost & Found Classic - 1954 Dodge Convertible KPS Post-War 164 30th November 2016 17:20
Amazing True Story of Things Lost & Found DueLLeR Street Experiences 37 25th July 2012 14:55
Vintage & Classics at the Auto Expo 2010 S.B.Jatti Vintage Cars & Classics in India 32 7th March 2010 03:16
YetiBlog® - Tales of lost and found and surrendered on airlines Sam Kapasi Shifting gears 54 11th June 2008 16:50


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:23.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks