Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 26th April 2012, 20:54   #61
BHPian

Default Re: How Do You Keep Off Old Car Critics?

WOW !
The quality of posts on the vintage threads went exponentially upwards in response to fiestarry's tirade . He got the whole vintage gang united. It was fun reading. BulletBoy's scatological rejoinder put the whole issue in the correct persepective.

But what happens to the threat of the raffle - a BMW 2.5 , Jawa etc - not to be laughed at ??? As for the Duesy - we should permit fiestarry to continue from where he left off - he brings out the best in all who respond - adding humour , wit and variety to otherwise dry threads and mundane posts about restorations and car prices.

Now that the raffle has been postponed - have commenced restoration on a different 2 1/4 hp at my end.

Thank you
Chauhan
vintageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 21:19   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
harit.....you did mess up....how could you put the Padmini's in line....were you trying for a pierce arrow ??? Try putting them in a V formation next time ....one and a half of them on each side ......a Duesneberg v12 will emerge
I just held a mirror at 60 degrees to my 1/24 scale Duesenberg engine and a REAL "virtual" V-16 emerged! REAL "virtual" ....isn't that an oxymoron ?

I am sure the Fred and Augie (Duesenberg) are laughing their hearts out in heaven reading posts on this thread - and maybe thinking "why didn't we think of that" ?

Last edited by travancore : 26th April 2012 at 21:20.
travancore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 21:25   #63
BHPian

Why not rename this thread "How to convert old car critics" rather than the current title?
Wouldn't hurt if a few more crackpots like ourselves were created rather than running someone out of town just because he has contrary views.
No way anyone(except maybe our harassed wives) can remain immune to the charms of the old ladies for long, if they are handled right.
Alternatively,the thread could be renamed fantasy cars,going by the untrammelled imagination displayed in the last few posts where,for lack of a critic to attack,like a dog shaking a long-dead rat,everyone and his uncle has continued taking digs at the unfortunate Fiestarry,who is long gone.
Let's lie in wait for a bit and ambush the next nut before he can bolt,rather than continue spewing forth venom at the previous offender who must have left the country by now.
I love to play good cop,if that's a fault,turn your guns on me next!
On second thoughts just ignore me please,since I have contributed no content of any value to the thread,much like a fair number of the preceding posts.
911987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 21:44   #64
BHPian

hey guys you forgot the two V12 lagondas in india

btw did i tell you about the supercharged mercedes i owned for almost five years? seriously!
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 22:02   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post

We also forgot about the Phantom III in one of the biggest car collection in the world. I was told when I met the great man that if he revved the engine at 6 AM the sound of it could actually be heard from his home in Walkeshwar to Wilson college at Chowpatty (a good 1.5 kms away) and he wasn't kidding when he said that.
67Bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 22:24   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug

We also forgot about the Phantom III in one of the biggest car collection in the world. I was told when I met the great man that if he revved the engine at 6 AM the sound of it could actually be heard from his home in Walkeshwar to Wilson college at Chowpatty (a good 1.5 kms away) and he wasn't kidding when he said that.
Correct you here it's his 8 Litre BENTLey . Hehe not the Phantom 3 of the biggest car collection

Cheers
kasli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 18:26   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Correct you here it's his 8 Litre BENTLey . Hehe not the Phantom 3 of the biggest car collection

Cheers
Quite a few P III's in India, aren't there? 2 existing in Kolkata itself.

Coming back to the original topic of discussion, there are very few people that I have personally come across who pass hurtful (to us that is) comments on old cars.

I have a friend in Kolkata who still has 2 lovely vintage RR's and a Bentley left in the family and they've had expensive modern machinery as well (they have a Gallardo and a new 911 Turbo). We invariably have an argument in jest when I go to his place. He's grown up with both types of machinery and always had a strong liking to the new cars. When I do go to his home and pass by these cars he asks without fail, "isn't the Lambo awesome?" I look towards the vintages and reply "sure is but it looks like it's made of plastic, like a toy. The RR's and the Bentley are stunning." We both crack up after that. Point is, he'll always like the newer cars and I'll always like the older cars but don't criticize each others views.

We are a minority as far as liking older cars are concerned and from time to time we should expect to get some rudish comments from the majority. I find myself criticizing a lot of new cars in social gatherings when asked for my opinion but don't get lambasted for it, so as far as I'm concerned, things balance out.

@Amol, I'm a bit of a converter as well. A good friend of mine, who's on this forum (no offense to you) and knows nothing about classics bought a '56 Stude Commander in fairly bad shape recently, after I convinced him to! And he had an M3 some time back which he thought was the best car in the world!

And as a lot of us have already said, I get really irritated at the standard- mileage, service, maintenance etc. etc. questions. And when I pull up into a petrol pump, the attendant always asks "Sir diesel du?". Can't blame any of them though. But I always feel extremely good when driving a decently if not well maintained classic on the road.

I had adkol's Citroen with me for 3 months and used it every Sunday. The first time, exiting my house through a congested stretch we got gheraoed! So taken aback were the younger passerby's with the car and the shiny paint, they though it was a naya model and several started to pose with the car-their friends clicking away on their cell cams. After 10 mins I could safely resume drving.

Another week I was doing nearly 60 mph on the flyover stretch (fastest strip in town) and overtook a new Honda City. He caught up with me, rolled the passenger window down and said "Sexy car sir". Some one else on a bike said "kya gaadi hai, Mercedes se bhi accha" (I wasn't all that happy with this one). And regular thumbs up from drivers and passengers of new cars. One incident was scary however. An i10 raced ahead of me, swerved to his left, nearly hitting me. I was about to get out and punch him but he stepped out too and before I could vent my anger, he said he was so astonished by the car he just wanted to know what it was!

My 20 yr old (9 younger than me only) M800 last week cracked it's front cross member, after a little over doing a lakh kms. Dad told me to get a new car, which he'd partly finance. I refused and told him that I love the car and don't want a new one and get full work done on the mechanicals. After thinking for a bit he gave the go ahead to replace all the mechanicals of the 800 (for which he insists on paying) and use it for as long as it last and then buy a new car.

That'll take a long time. I plan to retain the 800 regardless, it's probably going to become and Indian made classic soon!

And to those who think that old cars are primitive and cannot at all fathom why some of us keep them, they should think for a moment. The fancy, everything sensored and electronically controlled (and unfixable when they fail) machines would never had existed had it not been for vintages and classics.

mbz180
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 11:13   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post

Yes the Bentley would be the loud one for sure.....what a melofy it must have made !

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Given that the P IIII is a RR you would probably never hear the engine even when it is close to its red line !

Quote:

btw did i tell you about the supercharged mercedes i owned for almost five years? seriously!
The Lagondas can never be forgotten Awini......you are indeed a luck person to have one of the two in India.....please do tell us more about teh supercharged mercedes......was it a V12 too ????
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2012, 12:09   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Given that the P IIII is a RR you would probably never hear the engine even when it is close to its red line !

The Lagondas can never be forgotten Awini......you are indeed a luck person to have one of the two in India.....please do tell us more about teh supercharged mercedes......was it a V12 too ????
I actually did own a supercharged mercedes. Extremely rare one off machine. The only one they managed to sell on my block. 1.8 litre supercharged four. They called it the C200k. The most troublesome car i have ever owned. But a joy to drive when it ran right.

Last edited by awini : 29th April 2012 at 12:10.
awini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 12:39   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
One incident was scary however. An i10 raced ahead of me, swerved to his left, nearly hitting me. I was about to get out and punch him but he stepped out too and before I could vent my anger, he said he was so astonished by the car he just wanted to know what it was!
mbz180
Now this is something i hate absolutely, I understand the excitement some people have for classics and i must admit i do love it when people appreciate your ride, but some people dont have any respect for classics.
You will agree with me when i say its not the easiest of things to drive a classic on our roads with the traffic and all. It becomes a menace when people drive very close to you specially bikers, makes me nervous. It would be nicer if they maintain a safe distance. Some people will just cut you, overtake and start driving slowly to take a closer look or drive like inches away on the side....drives me crazy.

Now this one is quite funny but it got me a little enraged at that time

I keep my mustang in my parking spot inside my house and my daily drive a little farther away on the road.

Now, last saturday, i come back home a little late around 2.00 am. i park on the road like always which is like 20 - 30 yds away from my house and start walking towards my house.

There is this i10 with 4-5 young guys ( fresh out of school would be my guess ) which has stopped outside my gate and i am waondering why ??

I reach my gate and i open it to step inside. One of these guys in the i10 rolls down the window and calls out to me " Bhaiyya, ek bar woh CONTESSA dekhne doge ? " ( will you let us check out the "CONTESSA ?)

for a split second i didnt know what to say, i desperately wanted to scream at him and tell him it was a MUSTANG for jeezsakes but then i thought, what the hell, didnt want to at 2 in the morning.

Now i dont have anything against a contessa, i have like 2 of them but you just cannot call a Mustang a Contessa

Last edited by cmdalvi : 30th April 2012 at 12:50. Reason: avoiding b2b posts
cmdalvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 13:25   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdalvi View Post
N
You will agree with me when i say its not the easiest of things to drive a classic on our roads with the traffic and all. It becomes a menace when people drive very close to you specially bikers, makes me nervous. It would be nicer if they maintain a safe distance. Some people will just cut you, overtake and start driving slowly to take a closer look or drive like inches away on the side....drives me crazy.

Now i dont have anything against a contessa, i have like 2 of them but you just cannot call a Mustang a Contessa
I do agree it's not simply to drive an old car in modern day traffic, especially a huge American car. The Citroen is also not really easy to drive mainly due to it's cramped positioning of the pedals and the clutch pedal being so close to the box like firewall. In fact recently, a Maruti Van intentionally came very close to my side of the car, I think just to spite me. I told the driver of the Van that it won't really hurt my car if he side swiped it but couldn't say the same for the condition of his car thereafter. So I told him to go ahead and take a chance and this was good enough for him to fall back.

Now calling a Mustang a Contessa is serious blasphemy!

mbz180

Last edited by mbz180 : 30th April 2012 at 13:28.
mbz180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2012, 23:58   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Now calling a Mustang a Contessa is serious blasphemy!

mbz180
iv had it worse, my black and yellow karmann-ghia has been hailed as a taxi. which i thought was quite funny, because the family didnt quite know how to get in the car when i stopped.... they thought they were hailing an ambassador
Old 1st May 2012, 16:12   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
iv had it worse, my black and yellow karmann-ghia has been hailed as a taxi. which i thought was quite funny, because the family didnt quite know how to get in the car when i stopped.... they thought they were hailing an ambassador
This is so funny ! Imagine what would happen if they ha wanted to open the boot to put in some luggage and found the engine !
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 16:34   #74
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, why should we try to keep the critics off ?
We should all remember and thank our stars that not many people
are petrol heads like most of us.

Imagine, if every Tom, Dick and Harry, knew the value of these cars
and was passionaite about them, would we be able to get these
priceless cars for ourselves ? What would have happened to the
already soaring prices ?

I think our community is strong enough to take care of these jewels,
and though there is definately a need for awareness, too much hype can kill the joy too.

Let the sleeping Dogs lie !!
KartikeyaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 20:44   #75
BHPian

Quote:
This is so funny ! Imagine what would happen if they ha wanted to open the boot to put in some luggage and found the engine !
Believe it or not, iv actually done the classic vw "got a spare engine in the back" gag and anamit sen is a witness. It happened at one of the hmci rally flag offs at the meredien. One of those clueless young girls with a news channel wanted to photograph the engine pointed to the front. So i casually opened it and she was shocked to find it missing. So i told her it was in for repairs and i was using the "stepney" engine for a while, all old vws came with two engines because they were used in places like remote africa and a breakdown there would mean certain death. For a moment she actually believed it!