Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 3rd July 2011, 11:30   #1741
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Here are a few pictures from various years taken at Lawrence School Lovedale. Guess the cars where applicable
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bandlovedale.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-chiefguestcar.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-lenaolsenlovedale1952.jpg  

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-nehruindira1959.jpg  

Attached Images

moralfibre is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 19:21   #1742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Here are a few pictures from various years taken at Lawrence School Lovedale. Guess the cars where applicable
Great pictures!!
The first two pictures are of cars which I have not really looked at, you have to enlarge and look closely at features to identify. First could be difficult, second could be done perhaps.
Third picture is a Fiat Topolino, if the engine or head is still around Pavan Kadam could use them.
Fourth is a Crysler, maybe the car now owned by Nitin Dossa. I believe that his car came from Karnataka (Mysore state), but all other pictures here imply Tamil Nadu (Madras State) cars. Dossa used to claim that Nehru sat in his car, maybe he can use this picture and place in his file on his car. This evidence is suggestive, but not proof. Maybe some friendly t-bhpians can point him to this as they have done with my other posts.
Now being serious, this is good for his file.
The fifth picture maybe a Vanguard, the 6th picture is an Austin.
Moralfibre, you have done good work here, I will click the thanks button too.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 3rd July 2011 at 19:24.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 20:10   #1743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Great pictures!!
The first two pictures are of cars which I have not really looked at, you have to enlarge and look closely at features to identify. First could be difficult, second could be done perhaps.
Third picture is a Fiat Topolino, if the engine or head is still around Pavan Kadam could use them.
Fourth is a Crysler, maybe the car now owned by Nitin Dossa. I believe that his car came from Karnataka (Mysore state), but all other pictures here imply Tamil Nadu (Madras State) cars.
The fifth picture maybe a Vanguard, the 6th picture is an Austin.

Cheers harit
The chief guest's car seems to be either a Humber or a Singer. It is a product of the Rootes Group as the front door curves and the body design match with a Rootes design.
The fourth and fifth are a Standard Vanguard Phase 1 and an Austin 8 (may remotely be a 10 too as these were similar) and not 5th and 6th as harit has pointed out.
The Topolino is undisputed.
About the Nehru-Gandhi Chrysler harit has provided a lot of information.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 3rd July 2011 at 20:11.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 11:30   #1744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The chief guest's car seems to be either a Humber or a Singer. It is a product of the Rootes Group as the front door curves and the body design match with a Rootes design.
The fourth and fifth are a Standard Vanguard Phase 1 and an Austin 8 (may remotely be a 10 too as these were similar) and not 5th and 6th as harit has pointed out.
The Topolino is undisputed.
About the Nehru-Gandhi Chrysler harit has provided a lot of information.
Is there a dispute here? I was not aware of a dispute. Normally we are having conversations.
About picture no. 2, the car could also be a Wolseley or a MG, see the shape of the doors. Very similar to those of Ambassadors, all group companies of British Leyland in one form or the other.
When I open this thread, in my comp I see 6 pictures. The 4th picture is that of the Chrysler, and the 5th of the Vanguard. And the last is the Austin, no 6. Maybe the order of pictures changes in other comp. or other networks/cities?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 4th July 2011 at 11:40.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 12:31   #1745
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words Harit. We have a collector with a Packard who is an alumni of Lawrence - Lovedale. And since you guys loved the pics, here's more (without cars) - Album link. .

If you go through these you'll know the owner of the Fiat - Miss Ollie Lena Olsen. .

Hope that helps.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 14:55   #1746
BHPian

Smile Mumbai from the 1900s as never seen before

GTO and all fellow bhpians from Mumbai will like this:

From the Foreign Policy magazine, stunning and romantic photographs of the Bombay of the 1900s. If you love India's only truly cosmopolitan city, here's how you can fall in love all over again.

Once Upon a Time in Bombay - An FP Slide Show | Foreign Policy
adg_andy is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 14:38   #1747
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Mumbai from the 1900s as never seen before

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
GTO and all fellow bhpians from Mumbai will like this:..............Once Upon a Time in Bombay - An FP Slide Show | Foreign Policy
Great pictures. Is pic 8 not Khada Parsi near Byculla fire station? I have never seen that statue up close, with the number of fly-overs going around his head. Really enjoyed these.

Cheers harit
Old 7th July 2011, 17:39   #1748
BHPian

Smile Re: Mumbai from the 1900s as never seen before

Quote:
Great pictures. Is pic 8 not Khada Parsi near Byculla fire station? I have never seen that statue up close, with the number of fly-overs going around his head. Really enjoyed these.

Cheers harit
Anytime @Harit. Just came across this article and thought about sharing it. I have been only to Mumbai airport and no place else in mumbai. Can anyone from mumbai help harit on this
adg_andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 09:05   #1749
Senior - BHPian

Great pics Andy.
Yes Harit that is the Khada Parsi, well recognized, even with the flyovers now restricting view of the statue and these lovely structures, which still stand around it.

Pic 4 is the Bombay Gym ground (or is it the Oval?) The rugby uniforms remain the similar (orangeish brown and white or blue and white) till this day. I have played Rugby there for the Gym for a few years and have enjoyed every bit. This pic bought back old memories.
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 11:33   #1750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Anytime @Harit.......... Can anyone from mumbai help harit on this
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Great pics Andy.
Yes Harit that is the Khada Parsi, well recognized, even with the flyovers now restricting view of the statue and these lovely structures, which still stand around it.

Pic 4 is the Bombay Gym ground (or is it the Oval?) The rugby uniforms remain the similar (orangeish brown and white or blue and white) till this day. I have played Rugby there for the Gym for a few years and have enjoyed every bit. This pic bought back old memories.
Well, I recognized more pictures, but did not comment.
Pic 1 DN Road starting from Fountain, looking towards VT. I would put this and pic 8 to pre 1920 looking at the cars.
Picture 4 is difficult, but I would say that is where we have Cooperage football and the band stand. The building at the back on the left looks like RIS, (Royal Institute of Science) or IS (Institute of Science) as it is known today. The whole layout af that area was different, there was no childrens traffic park, no band stand, the area was vast and bare. The buildings on the right would be those where today Campion school and the modern Kirloskar buildings are located. This is just a guess, will one day take a print out and compare.

Cheers harit
Old 9th July 2011, 15:55   #1751
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is that Chrysler convertible from Lawrence school, and here is the Mumbai car. Compare the two.
Hopefully the fight was not too tough, and I never knew that Mumbai had 100 rare cars and Motorcycles. . These exagerations are normal.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-nehruindira1959.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by harit : 9th July 2011 at 15:56.
Old 12th July 2011, 15:21   #1752
Distinguished - BHPian

This building looks stricking, does anyone remember this? In the porch is a ord Consul. I am not sure whether this is in India or abroad, but at the back side the stamp of the photographers indicated a New Delhi location.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 15:57   #1753
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This building looks stricking, does anyone remember this? In the porch is a ord Consul. I am not sure whether this is in India or abroad, but at the back side the stamp of the photographers indicated a New Delhi location.

Cheers harit
I can also faintly see a Delhi registration on the Consul. Striking indeed, wonder if this place survives.

On closer inspection the Consul appears to be LHD!
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 17:43   #1754
BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
This is Delhi, Embassy Row, Chanakyapuri in the early days- cannot put a finger on to which Embassy it is though but have seen it.

Cheers adhir
adkol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 00:25   #1755
Distinguished - BHPian

Well they are the same car and also as a person who has checked with the school that the car used to be sent across from Madras to the collector of Ooty for official purposes and still happens for heads of state etc for the Lawrence school Lovedale as its one of the few Government with a Boarding school in the country which is left .For some years I remember it was a Contessa. The school has agreed to provide date and also details in a few weeks as they are records for the year 1958 to 1960. This car was auctioned off and sold to someone in coimbatore to Kotayam and landed in some place either in Cochin or some other place in Kerala before it found route to Mumbai. The colour combo was off white ( ivory) with Maroon leatherette and Black top with 4 bumper gaurds. and a light. The school historian remembers and has a side snap and promised to scan that across. He is retired and in Gudalur.

Second part of the same note well I thnk Bombay has more than 100 rare cars and bikes for sure and as a few or more than a few and in counting are with you . So we easily put all the Cars and Bike in our great city and we are running quite a count.

Cheers

Quote:
Here is that Chrysler convertible from Lawrence school, and here is the Mumbai car. Compare the two.
Hopefully the fight was not too tough, and I never knew that Mumbai had 100 rare cars and Motorcycles. . These exagerations are normal.

Cheers harit
kasli is online now   Reply With Quote