Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2011, 09:53   #1831
BHPian
 
ariesonu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bombay
Posts: 971
Thanked: 1,000 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Seems it was way before Naval dockyard came up in the background:

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-vintage-postcard-gateway-india-bombay-mumbai.jpg

Raab Rakha.

Courtesy: BING, but cannot remember from where I took this pic.
ariesonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 18:13   #1832
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Seems it was way before Naval dockyard came up in the background:Raab Rakha.Courtesy: BING, but cannot remember from where I took this pic.
I believe that this dockyard extension came up in 1965 or 1969, I remember seeing the trucks plying and the bolders being dropped to create the bund.

This is a wedding picture, a blend of cultures, white saree, white veil and the old Austin or whatever.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 19:12   #1833
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,320
Thanked: 5,960 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a wedding picture, a blend of cultures, white saree, white veil and the old Austin or whatever.

Cheers harit
The wheel tells us it wasn't an Austin, but a Hindustan 10 or Morris 10/4
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 19:35   #1834
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,321
Thanked: 3,959 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I believe that this dockyard extension came up in 1965 or 1969, I remember seeing the trucks plying and the bolders being dropped to create the bund.

This is a wedding picture, a blend of cultures, white saree, white veil and the old Austin or whatever.

Cheers harit
True Karl as you put it, it is indeed an Hindustan 10 (may be a Morris 10 but that was rare in India). The window on the rear door is one of a kind here and cannot be missed.The third window does not slant towards the base but remains horizontal- also unique for the Hindustan 10.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 27th August 2011 at 19:42.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:04   #1835
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
...... and the old Austin or whatever. Cheers harit
See, I was not particularly bothered what this car was

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Seems it was way before Naval dockyard came up in the background:......
These three postcards on the Gateway are from different periods of time. This monument has been photographed many times.
First picture is from 1926, whatever one can see of the cars is very ancient.
The second is from the middle of 1930's, the cars are more modern.

Postcard is unused.
The third is from 1959, printed by the Times of India Press Bombay. Car much more modern, maybe a Vauxhall? Also posting the message, Bombay had prohibition at that time

Cheers harit
Attached Images
    
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 18:46   #1836
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

A lovely monument with a few busses on the street, probably Ashok Leylands. Any idea about this monument?

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 19:04   #1837
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

This is an amazing picture, and I saw the significance only later. I received a number of pictures from a person who raced scooters around 1960, he was quite successful. Here is some function connected to that sport, being held at the turf club. The cars in the parking lot caught my eye. Extreme left is a DKW Junior/F12 of around 1960. Such a car was in Bombay and my understanding is that such a car was imported by Telco and dismantled, there were plans of production in India. Maybe the same very car?
The next car towards the right is a Lancia Flaminia, perhaps the Dubash car. And then this Cadillac (Kasli, are you looking close?) and next to it the Fiat.
In the background appears to be the racing track.

Cheers harit

(Sorry back to back, but topic differs and I have to go)
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 18:37   #1838
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
......... Any idea about this monument? Cheers harit
No?

How about this with apparently a Ford near the porch and some Morris's on the side? What monument is this?
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 19:04   #1839
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

A single decker Daimler bus. This is in Mumbai, guess where!!
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 19:16   #1840
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 21,358
Thanked: 18,822 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

^ Malabar Hill post office?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 20:45   #1841
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,321
Thanked: 3,959 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
A lovely monument with a few busses on the street, probably Ashok Leylands. Any idea about this monument?

Cheers harit
It is the Madras High Court Building if I am not mistaken. The Leyland buses were much more popular in South India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is an amazing picture, and I saw the significance only later. I received a number of pictures from a person who raced scooters around 1960, he was quite successful. Here is some function connected to that sport, being held at the turf club. The cars in the parking lot caught my eye. Extreme left is a DKW Junior/F12 of around 1960. Such a car was in Bombay and my understanding is that such a car was imported by Telco and dismantled, there were plans of production in India. Maybe the same very car?
The next car towards the right is a Lancia Flaminia, perhaps the Dubash car. And then this Cadillac (Kasli, are you looking close?) and next to it the Fiat.
In the background appears to be the racing track.

Cheers harit

(Sorry back to back, but topic differs and I have to go)
The Juhu airport strip was used for racing. Also, could it be the Mahalaxmi Race Course? Film actor Motilal was a frequent visitor to the Race Course. He owned a few Cadillacs during his hey days.

Some more pictures:
Name:  mumbadevist1880s.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  34.9 KB
Mumbadevi 1880's
Name:  HurriAssam.jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  33.1 KB
A Ford (??) truck with a tanker body carrying aviation fuel.
Name:  Hunting1930s.jpg
Views: 3023
Size:  72.9 KB
Tiger hunting in the early days- four wickets are down.The car is exquisite but the killed tigers tell a sad story of how these were massacred.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-marinedrive222.jpg
Marine Drive image- we have seen this one earlier, but the resolution here appears to be very good. Almost each car is unique in design and different from the other. So wide was the choice. The Fiat-Ambassador years would follow in the 1960's and 1970's.The best assortment (motley mix) of cars in India in the 1940's, 50's and even 60's,were seen in the Flora Fountain (Hutatma Chowk) parking lot and the Marine Drive.
(pictures from: oldphotosbombayblogspot)

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th September 2011 at 20:54.
anjan_c2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 21:28   #1842
BHPian
 
vintagepoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jeddah/Hyd
Posts: 409
Thanked: 33 Times
Default A lovely monument with a few busses on the street, probably Ashok Leylands. Any idea

First pictures seems to be Madras High Court, Opp. near Lungi Chetty Street, Fruit Market, Burmah bazar near the seaport. Madras. Ashok Leyland Buses were common sight.
vintagepoint5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 22:45   #1843
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Stanher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hyderabad, AP
Posts: 6,194
Thanked: 1,308 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
It is the Madras High Court Building if I am not mistaken. The Leyland buses were much more popular in South India.
You indeed got it right!
Comparing with another pic. of the same building:



And, here's a real treasure trove I found in an album posted by someone on facebook- our own Hyderabad during the last days of the 7th Nizam's rule (circa late '40s) and apparently a bit from the 1950s! Not many cars to be seen in the photos of then, the roads seem practically empty!

The first 8 photos are circa September 1948, during "Operation Polo", a.k.a "Police Action" (although it was executed by the Army!), the move to annex Hyderabad into the Indian Union, following the Nizam's violent opposition to the same since Independence in 1947.
A poor Chevy truck pushed aside, maybe in an ambush.
The guy with sunglasses in the open jeep is said to be General El-Edroos, the Comm. in Chief of the then Hyderabad state Army. He's also seen in the pic. with the Buick 8; standing opposite General J N Chaudhri of the Indian Army, following Nizam's surrender to the Indian Govt.
The USA Press Jeep has a rather interesting trailer, which seems to be fashioned out of a 1940s Yank pick-up truck??!
The next photo showing the "Purdah gate" (the curtain at the entrance seen is still in place albeit very shabby!) of the King Kothi Palace- anyone identify the Black car partly seen- Austin? Hindustan 10?
Next photo is of Tank Bund/Hussain Sagar lake- the bus seems to be an Albion (many of them in Hyd. those days) 'wonder how and why anyone would park their cycle there though!
What about the bus in the next pic.?
The army truck in the next photo with the pot-carrying village women seems to be a Dodge?
The next photo seems to be at Public Gardens with the Nizam standing on the right. The cars both seem to be '47 Chevy Fleetmasters?
And the car in the last photo? (taken at Abids, en route to Mauzam Jah market...the building behind the car still exists, now an office building)

Name:  40325_480581480960_683560960_6877819_4312097_n.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  84.8 KB

Name:  40325_480581640960_683560960_6877850_5388817_n.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  82.0 KB

Name:  40325_480581635960_683560960_6877849_4390616_n.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  40325_480581420960_683560960_6877807_617425_n.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  40325_480582215960_683560960_6877959_3418709_n.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  71.1 KB

Name:  40325_480581435960_683560960_6877810_6314162_n.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  40325_480581700960_683560960_6877861_6290677_n.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  63.0 KB

Name:  40325_480582045960_683560960_6877928_3005525_n.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  91.2 KB

Name:  40325_480581755960_683560960_6877872_6098161_n.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  40325_480581730960_683560960_6877867_8218659_n.jpg
Views: 1162
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  40325_480581995960_683560960_6877918_2520302_n.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  96.8 KB

Name:  40325_480582110960_683560960_6877940_6580717_n.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  40325_480582125960_683560960_6877943_2561637_n.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  81.8 KB

Name:  40325_480582160960_683560960_6877950_7995993_n.jpg
Views: 1055
Size:  74.4 KB

Last edited by Stanher : 9th September 2011 at 22:50.
Stanher is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2011, 23:01   #1844
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,321
Thanked: 3,959 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
You indeed got it right!
Comparing with another pic. of the same building:



And, here's a real treasure trove I found in an album posted by someone on facebook- our own Hyderabad during the last days of the 7th Nizam's rule (circa late '40s) and apparently a bit from the 1950s! Not many cars to be seen in the photos of then, the roads seem practically empty!

The first 8 photos are circa September 1948, during "Operation Polo", a.k.a "Police Action" (although it was executed by the Army!), the move to annex Hyderabad into the Indian Union, following the Nizam's violent opposition to the same since Independence in 1947.
A poor Chevy truck pushed aside, maybe in an ambush.
The guy with sunglasses in the open jeep is said to be General El-Edroos, the Comm. in Chief of the then Hyderabad state Army. He's also seen in the pic. with the Buick 8; standing opposite General J N Chaudhri of the Indian Army, following Nizam's surrender to the Indian Govt.
The USA Press Jeep has a rather interesting trailer, which seems to be fashioned out of a 1940s Yank pick-up truck??!
The next photo showing the "Purdah gate" (the curtain at the entrance seen is still in place albeit very shabby!) of the King Kothi Palace- anyone identify the Black car partly seen- Austin? Hindustan 10?
Nice pictures Shyam. The GOC in C in the Willys jeep is a Major General (two stars on the star plate). Now a days Area Commanders and sometimes Sub Area Commanders are Maj Generals, while the GOC in C is a Lt General.
The car King Kothi Palace car is a Hillman Minx Phase I- the curves are distinguishable!
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2011, 10:25   #1845
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,320
Thanked: 5,960 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
The USA Press Jeep has a rather interesting trailer, which seems to be fashioned out of a 1940s Yank pick-up truck??!
Lovely pictures Shyam.

I think DKG mentioned that he has that or an identical trailor with him.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Nostalgic look at the Indian Racing Scene moralfibre Indian Motorsport 19 22nd October 2016 17:16
A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose? Dippy The Indian Car Scene 207 11th July 2013 00:51
Nostalgic drive on NH-4 teknicsand Travelogues 7 16th June 2011 13:16
Why do we all cover-up the number plates of our cars/bikes/scooters in pictures? anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 6 19th November 2008 20:34
A very Nostalgic Travelogue - 10 years ago mail4ajo Travelogues 17 15th April 2008 23:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:47.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks