Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 17:16   #1936
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,438 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Yesterday was the 136th birth anniversary of Vallabhbhai Patel, the Iron Man of India.
There is a possibility that it is him in this picture, standing on the truck at the left side. This seems to be a funeral procession of someone important, note the tricolour draped on the truck. Will welcome comments and info.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan0277tbhp.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 14:37   #1937
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,328
Thanked: 5,992 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Yesterday was the 136th birth anniversary of Vallabhbhai Patel, the Iron Man of India.
There is a possibility that it is him in this picture, standing on the truck at the left side. This seems to be a funeral procession of someone important, note the tricolour draped on the truck. Will welcome comments and info.

Cheers harit
I would guess that is the funeral procession of Gandhiji.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 14:45   #1938
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,438 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Finally a response.

Here are 2 pictures of a Limo which I just cannot place. Please try, but no guesses, please do come up with a picture from the net for comparison. Those stripes on the side and the monogram at lower end right of the front mudguard fox me. Please check carefully.
The only clue is the mention of Allahabad on the back of the photo.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
  
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 15:06   #1939
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I would guess that is the funeral procession of Gandhiji.
Karl, As usual spot on !!.

See the appended

Mahatma Gandhi Funeral Pics
sundeep57.blogspot.com

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Images
 
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:28   #1940
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,326
Thanked: 3,972 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Finally a response.

Here are 2 pictures of a Limo which I just cannot place. Please try, but no guesses, please do come up with a picture from the net for comparison. Those stripes on the side and the monogram at lower end right of the front mudguard fox me. Please check carefully.
The only clue is the mention of Allahabad on the back of the photo.

Cheers harit
These chrome stripes on the front and rear mudguards were seen on the Pontiacs. Three such stripes confirm its a Pontiac.The model is a 1942 Pontiac Streamliner Chieftain, Straight Eight, four door sedan. A picture of one is uploaded :
Name:  42_Streamliner_Chieftain.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  53.9 KB
source : classic Pontiacs
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:41   #1941
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,438 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Nice. Somehow the car appeared to me to be Limo, so did not think of Pontiac.
Here is another one which foxed me. I doubt that it is a Fiat, it was registered in Mumbai around 1960.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
  
harit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 16:57   #1942
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,360
Thanked: 524 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Nice. Somehow the car appeared to me to be Limo, so did not think of Pontiac.
Here is another one which foxed me. I doubt that it is a Fiat, it was registered in Mumbai around 1960.

Cheers harit
It seems like the car is indeed 1957-2960 Fiat 1200 Spider. Check out this link. This is courtsey Google baba .

FIAT 1200 Spider 1957 - 1960 Photo Gallery - Image 2 - autoevolution
manishalive is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 17:19   #1943
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,438 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
It seems like the car is indeed 1957-1960 Fiat 1200 Spider. Check out this link. This is courtsey Google baba . FIAT 1200 Spider 1957 - 1960 Photo Gallery - Image 2 - autoevolution
You are right, but the bumper differs. Any explanation for that? Maybe a "Speciale"?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 18:07   #1944
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,566
Thanked: 819 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
You are right, but the bumper differs. Any explanation for that? Maybe a "Speciale"?

Cheers harit
No not a speciale but altogether another model.
Its a Fiat but its not a 1200 TV Spider.

Its a Fiat 1100 TV Transformabile Spyder. Probably a 55-59 but more probably a later 50's model owing to its wheel caps, if original. These did come in some cars later on. earlier the wheels adorned the spoke type caps which i remember during my childhood, seeing on many Bombay cars and especially on Taxis (super selects) I wonder if they would be available now?

Name:  57 Fiat  1100 TV transformabile.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  62.2 KB

Last edited by V-16 : 7th November 2011 at 18:10.
V-16 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 10:19   #1945
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 371 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Hi,

The image is from a friends' family album, he is the boy on the left with his elder brother on the right, this image was taken somewhere in Bangalore around 1967. The family remembers buying this car in Pune originally with a Goa regn. They owned this car for a considerable period of time and then was sold in Bangalore. Does anyone know if it still exists? Any info would be much appreciated by the family.

Thank you,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-beetle1.jpg  

srinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 11:48   #1946
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,328
Thanked: 5,992 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is another one which foxed me. I doubt that it is a Fiat, it was registered in Mumbai around 1960.
What a super car - mechanically very close to the standard 1100. Possibly this was shot in a hill station - Lonavala, Mahabaleshwar, Panchgani?

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Its a Fiat 1100 TV Transformabile Spyder. Probably a 55-59 but more probably a later 50's model owing to its wheel caps, if original. These did come in some cars later on. earlier the wheels adorned the spoke type caps which i remember during my childhood, seeing on many Bombay cars and especially on Taxis (super selects) I wonder if they would be available now?
I was lucky to get a new set of these wheel trims last year - wonder if I will ever have the heart to fit them, or simply hang them on the walls of the museum, whenever it happens
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 12:01   #1947
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,438 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
No not a speciale but altogether another model.
Its a Fiat but its not a 1200 TV Spider.
Its a Fiat 1100 TV Transformabile Spyder. Probably a 55-59 .....
So, we had one in Mumbai. This is vintage car archaeology for you. No idea where she went subsequently, look for her also in Bollywood movies

Cheers harit

Last edited by Rehaan : 8th November 2011 at 12:22. Reason: Fixing quote tag
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 12:09   #1948
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

[quote=harit;2571086]
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
No not a speciale but altogether another model.
Its a Fiat but its not a 1200 TV Spider.
Its a Fiat 1100 TV Transformabile Spyder. Probably a 55-59 ...../quote]

So, we had one in Mumbai. This is vintage car archaeology for you. No idea where she went subsequently, look for her also in Bollywood movies

Cheers harit
harit...one of these was on sale long ago thru Indian Auto or Auto India.

Your Solanki bros would have known about it.
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 13:03   #1949
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,328
Thanked: 5,992 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
The image is from a friends' family album, he is the boy on the left with his elder brother on the right, this image was taken somewhere in Bangalore around 1967. The family remembers buying this car in Pune originally with a Goa regn.
Lovely shot, the car is probably a Euro spec 56/57, identified by the oval rear window (disc in 57) and the twin tail pipes (introduced in 56).


Here is something very exciting.
Wasif and Mohammed Jung have shared this exclusive photo

Quote:
This car seems to be some kind of unusual extended something. Sitting in the back seat dressed as a groom is Sultan Saleh Bin Umer, second son of H.H Nawab Sultan Shamsheer Nawaz Jung of Mukalla. (Mukalla is a port city in Yemen, Arabia). Picture was probably taken around 1939-40, at the Sultan's residence "Deorhi Sultan Nawaz Jung", Aghapura, Hyderabad. Sultan Saleh was married to my father's sister.
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-00.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 17:49   #1950
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,438 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is something very exciting.
Wasif and Mohammed Jung have shared this exclusive photo
Very nice, and ceremonial. The rear section which appears added on has the shape of a carriage.

Here is a street scene. In the back is a gate over which is written New Elphinstone. Presume this to be the textile mill, where exactly was this located? The riksha's appear to be Lambretta types, when did ricksha's start to ply in Mumbai? This photo is taken after 1956 because of the Dodge, and we can see the rear of a Caddy. Fiat of around 1962 is seen, and 2 Standards as well. Not much traffic in those days.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-tbhp.jpg  

harit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Nostalgic look at the Indian Racing Scene moralfibre Indian Motorsport 19 22nd October 2016 17:16
A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose? Dippy The Indian Car Scene 207 11th July 2013 00:51
Nostalgic drive on NH-4 teknicsand Travelogues 7 16th June 2011 13:16
Why do we all cover-up the number plates of our cars/bikes/scooters in pictures? anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 6 19th November 2008 20:34
A very Nostalgic Travelogue - 10 years ago mail4ajo Travelogues 17 15th April 2008 23:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks