Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2012, 17:06   #2326
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,147
Thanked: 297 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
There were two cars lying out there, an Erskine now with a collector in Bandra,
.
The first time my Amby engine was overhauled, we drove to Pune at night with the mechanic and came back in the morning. And then the engine was run in. Mr. Dhabhar awakened some memories.

Cheers harit
This Erskine I think I have seen at my neighbour's at Bandra. The first time I (<-this is the operative word) overhauled my fiat engine we drove all the way to mount abu and back. Got an average of 14 kmpl. Okay so Mr. Dhabhar has awakened some memories of me. By the way the same neighbour had a Merc that you once sent me a pic of in Delhi. Please note that no where have I mentioned that he owns the Erskine. It was only parked there for a few years

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 5th July 2012 at 17:07.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 18:33   #2327
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
The petrol pump STILL exist today with same location of entry and exit points and even the ramps, it is opposite to the T.B.Zaveri shop at opera house. Nothing much has changed till today as of surrounding areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hi Harit- Is this JB Patel at Opera House....
Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
is that the lhd xk120 that was in primer a few years ago?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Nice pic Harit! Really Nostalgic! Going by the people standing around and behind the car - they seem to be police escort or bodyguards. Or maybe I am wrong and they are just the pump attendants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
This Erskine I think I have seen at my neighbour's at Bandra. ......By the way the same neighbour had a Merc that you once sent me a pic of in Delhi. Please note that no where have I mentioned that he owns the Erskine. It was only parked there for a few years
Some response
Lots has changed in the area, please look closely. I have been taught by Karl to look properly, yet I failed to see my Amby in Delhi(reference to another thread). Now to the photo:
Rail tracks are only two, today four or more. So the road parallel to Mathew road across the tracks is now under railway tracks. Also, that building does not exist anymore. When railways expanded their tracks, narrow buildings were demolished, long buildings perpendicular to the track were shortened.
Parles Gluco Cola is not available anymore. BTW, how did that taste?
In the skyline behind is a square water tank. That was located between the anging Garden and the Parsi Doongerwadi. I think this is now demolished. At one time this supplied water to the entire Malabar Hill area, there were only Bungalowes and Mansions. This was a heritage structure, so how come demolished?
Cars are BMY and BMC registered.
The Jag, (Awini, you are talking of a XK 140 hardtop, not the same car) has a GB plate above the number plate. The people around are pump attendants.
In the parallel road across the tracks there seems to be a Cadillac. The white car also appears to be something different. A Chrysler product with winglet tail lamps?
Silence Zone boards were put up even in those days.
The Pump exists today.

That Erskine, if a hard top, today belongs to a collector who has both bikes and cars. The Erskine may still be incomplete.

Below some more pictures for your identification of location.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
   

Last edited by harit : 5th July 2012 at 18:37.
harit is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 18:57   #2328
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,147
Thanked: 297 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
So the road parallel to Mathew road across the tracks is now under railway tracks. Also, that building does not exist anymore. When railways expanded their tracks, narrow buildings were demolished, long buildings perpendicular to the track were shortened.
Parles Gluco Cola is not available anymore. BTW, how did that taste?
In the skyline behind is a square water tank.
Very interesting picture Harit, like you said look closely and I did just now Specially the shell pump and the Parle gluco cola on the over bridge, in one photo. Who made this drink? can't be the same Parles of the Chauhans or is it? Hmmm... amazing what google can bring up, it's actually a drink before the parle cola and gold spot. And would you believe my dad worked for Shell and then later at Parle's so this has brought back memories of him. Thanks for that. Which year would this first pic be from? By the way the Chauhans had a dodge polara long time ago.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 5th July 2012 at 19:08.
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 21:29   #2329
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 483
Thanked: 234 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Some response
The Jag, (Awini, you are talking of a XK 140 hardtop, not the same car) has a GB plate above the number plate.
Cheers harit
no harit bhai, i am talking about the xk120 roadster that was standing with a race prepared herald with minilite wheels
awini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 21:46   #2330
Senior - BHPian
 
IQBAL VEERJI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: SAAT BUNGLA, BAMBAI.
Posts: 1,036
Thanked: 277 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Some response
Lots has changed in the area, please look closely. I have been taught by Karl to look properly, yet I failed to see my Amby in Delhi(reference to another thread). Now to the photo:
Rail tracks are only two, today four or more. So the road parallel to Mathew road across the tracks is now under railway tracks. Also, that building does not exist anymore. When railways expanded their tracks, narrow buildings were demolished, long buildings perpendicular to the track were shortened.
Parles Gluco Cola is not available anymore. BTW, how did that taste?
In the skyline behind is a square water tank. That was located between the anging Garden and the Parsi Doongerwadi. I think this is now demolished. At one time this supplied water to the entire Malabar Hill area, there were only Bungalowes and Mansions. This was a heritage structure, so how come demolished?
Cars are BMY and BMC registered.
The Jag, (Awini, you are talking of a XK 140 hardtop, not the same car) has a GB plate above the number plate. The people around are pump attendants.
In the parallel road across the tracks there seems to be a Cadillac. The white car also appears to be something different. A Chrysler product with winglet tail lamps?
Silence Zone boards were put up even in those days.
The Pump exists today.

That Erskine, if a hard top, today belongs to a collector who has both bikes and cars. The Erskine may still be incomplete.

Below some more pictures for your identification of location.

Cheers harit
Harit ji, pls notice the twin street lights hanging and placed in pair.These lights were gas powered and used to be switched ON in the evening when a guy used to come with a long bamboo stick to turn a lever in ON position and then fire the lantern WITH A LIGHTER. The glass bowl used to get dirty due to use and same were cleaned time to time to remove the soot,and replace the cloth net lantern.The same method was used in reverse early morning to put OFF these lights. We used to stay at Dadar opp.chitra cinema and I must be around 3 to 4 yrs old , but still remember this daily ritual by B.E.S.T.
There is a champion soap chips board,but I remember my mother used to buy LUX FLAKES which were thin diamond shaped for washing clothes. These soaps were imported in those days.

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 5th July 2012 at 21:54.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 23:19   #2331
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,802
Thanked: 202 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Below some more pictures for your identification of location.
Cheers harit
I can't help thinking that pic no. 3 is part of Queen's road looking from the J. B. Patel pump junction towards Opera House.
The row of buildings on the left look very similar to those still existing there - which now have an Irani restaurant, assorted Hi-Fi shops, and "Emzal" batteries. The circled pediment ornament looks very much like the Opera House, and almost completes the picture.

The row on the right however, is totally unfamiliar. If this is what I think it is, then on the right should be Roxy cinema and Pancharatna building.

I could be totally off the mark, but my two bits..
Attached Images
 
SuperSelect is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 13:38   #2332
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,139
Thanked: 684 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Some response


Below some more pictures for your identification of location.

Cheers harit
Today I am in my senses hence here we go
first picture corner of Kennedy bridge junction. The beautiful building with the Parle Gluco sign has been desecrated all the wooden balconies have gone. Krishna restaurant stands in place of Allie's resturant. Shows how the Irani's were replaced by the Udipi's.

The building next to this is a current project i am working on, also a 100+ year old building. I will try to save it.

The other views are obvious. One looks towards Khetwadi road, the other from the petrol pump to opera house as correctly identified by superselect. Left side of the last picture has by and large survived desecration. Right side is almost lost to modernization.

This area upto the Parle Gluco building has been declared as the opera house precinct and is largely protected (atleast on paper)
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 18:21   #2333
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
no harit bhai, i am talking about the xk120 roadster that was standing with a race prepared herald with minilite wheels
Cannot say whether this was that roadster, you are probably refering to that racer which is still in the cinema.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
Harit ji, pls notice the twin street lights hanging and placed in pair.These lights were gas powered and
This gas was the same supplied by Bombay Gas also for domestic applications like cooking. If you visit Khadi Bhandar at Fort, they still have these pipelines in the show room where lights were connected. These were indoors, not out doors. After Gas, it was electric lights and the BEST man used to walk from pole to pole to switch on and off with an ellen key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
I can't help thinking that pic no. 3 is part of Queen's road looking from the J. B. Patel pump junction towards Opera House. ........I could be totally off the mark, but my two bits..
Quite on the dot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Today I am in my senses hence here we go
first picture corner of Kennedy bridge junction.
You got it correct. I forgot what Panchratna was before, always mix it up with Dharam Palace. One was a Dunlop godown, the other a Lucas Service Center. In the 1st pic one can see the top of Kutch Castle.
The car turning which may be a Chrysler product has a taxi plate, so when were taxi's painted Black + Yellow?

Now please identify this location for me
Buildin in the background is the same, even the cabs are parked in the same location. These pictures were taken at the same time, different angles.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
  

Last edited by harit : 6th July 2012 at 18:25.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 18:41   #2334
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,139
Thanked: 684 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Now please identify this location for me
Buildin in the background is the same, even the cabs are parked in the same location. These pictures were taken at the same time, different angles.

Cheers harit
This is opposite capitol cinema VT where now there is a green park, but in those days there was a barren piece of land, school kids were from Bharda High school in the lane going to Bombay gym may be having a field day. :-) again i will check and confirm. The tram passed by Capitol cinema though down Mohhamad Ali Road to Dadar and then Wadala

Last edited by the mole : 6th July 2012 at 18:46.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 14:48   #2335
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This is opposite capitol cinema VT....

I felt that this is in Gwalior Tank, will check tomorrow.

This bridge under construction was completed, fell, got rebuilt, and now has a sibbling. There are enough clues to identify the location.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 
harit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 13:12   #2336
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,139
Thanked: 684 Times
Default Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This bridge under construction was completed, fell, got rebuilt, and now has a sibbling. There are enough clues to identify the location.

Cheers harit
Yes the bridge was quite an embarasment to goans, but the Panji Mandovi river promenade thankfully remains unchanged
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 16:30   #2337
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
...Now please identify this location for me
Buildin in the background is the same, even the cabs are parked in the same location. These pictures were taken at the same time, different angles. Cheers harit
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This is opposite capitol cinema VT
Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Yes the bridge was quite an embarasment to goans, but the Panji Mandovi river promenade thankfully remains unchanged
The place is on the right side when you travel from Gwalior Tank to Tejpal Auditorium. In facts it is the first building itself, and taxi's are still parked over there, now angular instead of parallel. And the tram line used to enter here, I feel that this was an end stop. Compare the features, modifications have been made, also to the entrance, but the architecture is the same. And the August Kranti Maidan was not so well defined as today. There are still about 3 to 4 schools in the vicinity using this ground.

About this bridge photo, Mandovi yes, till the bridge was done we used to cross by ferry to Betim. I have seen both bridges coming up, and the massive turmoilo when the approach roads were built, twice for two bridges.
The car seen is probably a 1956 to 1961 Ford Consul Taxi. These were quite common over there.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
      
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 16:55   #2338
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Hi,

This is a picture of one of my aunt's with her car.

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-hill_minx_resized.jpg  

srinand is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2012, 19:23   #2339
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,898
Thanked: 2,436 Times
Default Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The place is on the right side when you travel from Gwalior Tank to Tejpal Auditorium. .... Cheers harit
Two more pictures from the same location.
In the old days the boundaries of August Kranti maidan were not defined by walls, these came up much later. The trams used to be parked here as the end station, tram lines were upto Gowalior Tank.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
  
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 11:13   #2340
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: bangalore
Posts: 191
Thanked: 371 Times
Default Re: Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars

Hi,

This is one of the pictures of our Morris minor, however the focus of the picture was our dogs!

regards,

Srinand.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-img_resized.jpg  

srinand is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Nostalgic look at the Indian Racing Scene moralfibre Indian Motorsport 19 22nd October 2016 17:16
A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose? Dippy The Indian Car Scene 207 11th July 2013 00:51
Nostalgic drive on NH-4 teknicsand Travelogues 7 16th June 2011 13:16
Why do we all cover-up the number plates of our cars/bikes/scooters in pictures? anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 6 19th November 2008 20:34
A very Nostalgic Travelogue - 10 years ago mail4ajo Travelogues 17 15th April 2008 23:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks