Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Old 14th November 2009, 11:33   #886
Distinguished - BHPian

Attached below is the picture of an Austin 7, taken in Hyderabad in 1933.
A Parsi friend of mine has a family album which I have been asking him to take out since more than 4 years. His dad, now sadly no more had shown it to me and there were old pictures with cars in them. But as I was not collecting car pictures at that time, I saw and left it. Now I wanted to have the pictures to copy for my collection.
Well, finally he gave me the album and I went through it. I got a little surprise as there was an Austin 7, names were mentioned and "Dalton Soda Factory" was mentioned. These folks were related to my friend and this factory existed in Hyderabad in 1933, how much longer it stood I do not know. The surprise was because I was offered a similar framed picture from Chor bazar, it being very expensive and just an Austin 7, I left it.
Just by chance my Bazar guy came back after 2 months and I reminded him about the framed picture. He checked, it was still available, and I got it at a price 40% below the original offered price. Then checked the picture and the album.
They were indeed connected. The identical picture but smaller was in the album. On the back of the frame there was a text. My friends dad wrote descriptions behind all his pictures and the handwriting matched. The framed picture I bought apparently belonged to my friends family and the text behind it was written by my friend's dad. He still does not know how it has left his house. Maybe his dad had presented it to somebody.
I have had two previous experiences with books which had a strong connection with family of known car collectors.
Attached Images

harit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 12:10   #887
Distinguished - BHPian

A nostalgia Fiat. No info available.

Cheers harit
Attached Images

harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 12:43   #888
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Recently at a Taj Hotel I came across a book titled " The Splendour that is The Taj".
Is that the coffee table book on the Taj? Where did you pick it up from? I checked Nalanda but they did not have a copy of it.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 13:02   #889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Is that the coffee table book on the Taj? Where did you pick it up from? I checked Nalanda but they did not have a copy of it.
I am not sure, maybe it is not for sale in the shops. Someone carried this book lying in a hotel room in a Taj hotel.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 20:30   #890
BHPian

Would anyone remember Mr. Cyrus Adenwala from Mumbai, who is now settled in Australia ?

Wonder where this 1952 Model 7 Dominator is ?
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-lastscan01.jpg  

dominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2009, 20:32   #891
BHPian

The Goldie & the Tiger.
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-lastscan02.jpg  

Old 15th November 2009, 20:37   #892
BHPian

From my guess, the DBD is still around
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-lastscan03.jpg  

Old 15th November 2009, 20:39   #893
BHPian

Karl, the Tiger Speedo for your reference
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-lastscan04.jpg  

Old 16th November 2009, 19:19   #894
Senior - BHPian

Hi dominator, thats one bumper pic bonanza, Are you aware of the registration for the Goldstars Somehow cant read them off the pics.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2009, 22:29   #895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
Hi dominator, thats one bumper pic bonanza, Are you aware of the registration for the Goldstars Somehow cant read them off the pics.
Hi Mole !! These pictures were sent by a friend, I do not have the registration numbers. I would still want to believe that this particular DBD survives, somewhere in Mumbai. I say Mumbai because, all known surviving DBD's or for that matter any Goldie, surfaced and survived in Mumbai only. South never had any Goldie, except for four, one DB still in Bangalore, one very original BMC registered unrestored BB, again in Bangalore, one DB from Coimbatore which Solanki bought and sold it to Dyanesh, and the DB from Bangalore, which Reubin has now in Pune.

Mumbai still retains, ex Garry Lawyer with Viraf Vatcha, Dr.Soonawalla's 2 Goldie's, Banaji's, Nullaseth, Dyanesh 2 Goldies, Farad Bathena,probably a basket case with Nasikwalla ? two DB's in Pune ( Mandhar & Christie ) and ofcourse Reubins DBD. Have we missed anything ? Probabaly Kolkatta, which retains only the Goldie cycle and gearbox.

Lets put our inhouse detective Karl on the job. He should be able to find the registration number and locate, this particular Goldie.
Old 17th November 2009, 15:56   #896
Team-BHP Support

Superb photos, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominator View Post
Mumbai still retains, ex Garry Lawyer with Viraf Vatcha, Dr.Soonawalla's 2 Goldie's, Banaji's, Nullaseth, Dyanesh 2 Goldies, Farad Bathena,probably a basket case with Nasikwalla ? two DB's in Pune ( Mandhar & Christie ) and ofcourse Reubins DBD. Have we missed anything ? Probabaly Kolkatta, which retains only the Goldie cycle and gearbox.

Lets put our inhouse detective Karl on the job. He should be able to find the registration number and locate, this particular Goldie.
Chemburkar also has a lovely Goldstar in Pune, regularly ridden to Bombay for shows. MH 12 K regd., I think it came from Calcutta.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 16:04   #897
BHPian

Great Pics Karl, I too must try and dig out some from the archives in my family. Hope some of them exist. They used to be in the form of projector slides from the 30s and 40s. Will try to source them and upload.
rhenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2009, 21:50   #898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Superb photos, thanks for sharing.

Chemburkar also has a lovely Goldstar in Pune, regularly ridden to Bombay for shows. MH 12 K regd., I think it came from Calcutta.
That reminds me, we missed Neville Choksy from Mumbai.
Old 26th November 2009, 12:30   #899
Team-BHP Support

A couple of neat British raj photos

A Jeep during WW2, 1945.

Name:  jeep.JPG
Views: 2001
Size:  34.6 KB

"My Jeep and I" - Shamshernagar Air Base, India, May 1945 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

An old Albion lorry, apparently doing military duty.

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-albion.jpg

army jeep on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 26th November 2009, 13:55   #900
Team-BHP Support

Here are some great images of very early BSAs shot in India during the British Raj.

Name:  bsa01.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  358.0 KB
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-bsa02.jpg
Name:  bsa03.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  305.6 KB
Name:  bsa04.jpg
Views: 1457
Size:  363.7 KB

India 1919 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Can anyone confirm if they are all the same bike? They look to be the same, though there are 3 different regn numbers. The source mentions that the bike(s?) would tour cross country.