Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th March 2010, 13:31   #1051
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This American coupe seems to be odd. Proportions are slightly off. Can Ram give positive identification?
I find that the trafficator mounted was actually meant for earlier cars.

Cheers harit
It is a 1946 Lincoln, refer link
1945 Lincoln Vert - Page 2 - AACA Forums , page from the web site of Antique Automobile club of America.

There was a Parsi owned Lincoln coupe in Mumbai owned by an office bearer of VCCCI which was destroyed in Gujrat. Does anyone know which year was that?

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 15:20   #1052
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Is this in Mumbai? Connected to film processing? Famous lab now fallen on hard times?

Looking to comments.

Cheers harit
This looks like Famous Studio Building very difficult to recognize it in this context (so much rubbish and clutter around it now), such a beautiful Building.

FYI at one time it was owned by my Maasi's family who own Prabhat Films. Incidentally they owned some very interesting cars hood ornaments of which survive with them till date, need to sit down with my aunt and go through their family albums. Maybe I'll take detective Karlos with me
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 19:04   #1053
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,329
Thanked: 5,995 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
FYI at one time it was owned by my Maasi's family who own Prabhat Films. Incidentally they owned some very interesting cars hood ornaments of which survive with them till date, need to sit down with my aunt and go through their family albums. Maybe I'll take detective Karlos with me
You keep threatening to, but when will it happen? Im free next weekend.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 19:24   #1054
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 1,078 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Another filmy photo I presume? In the background is a Chevy Fleetmaster, the other car could be a Dodge. Who are these folks? Very poor response in identifying these people. Unfortunately movies and their stars were not part of my interest while growing up. Interest in the stars started only when I relised that they did have some fab cars.

Cheers harit
Random guess. Could the gentleman to Madhubala's left be Jaikishan of Shankar Jaikishan fame?

Name:  shanker_jaikishan_stage_congo.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  78.7 KB

Name:  OP Chevy 3.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  82.9 KB

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 6th March 2010 at 19:26. Reason: Inserted Harit's pic for comparison
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 16:51   #1055
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 115
Thanked: 72 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This American coupe seems to be odd. Proportions are slightly off. Can Ram give positive identification?
I find that the trafficator mounted was actually meant for earlier cars.

Cheers harit

This COUPE seems like a 1947-48 LINCOLN V12, the exterior door handles make it very distinct
Mohammed4rmhyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 17:04   #1056
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,329
Thanked: 5,995 Times
Default

An early Herald in Bombay. Extended family photo. Note the 'Godrej refrigerator handle' on the bonnet, supplied to the earliest cars.

Name:  herald01.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  36.4 KB
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 19:20   #1057
Senior - BHPian
 
r_nairtvm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dubai/TRV/BLR
Posts: 1,614
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I wonder if it had seatbelts at that time as the glasses are not broken.

Cheers harit
Harit,

I don't think the car would have had any seat belts.

I believe it was only in 1954, the seat belts were made essential even in Sports Cars participating in race meets.

Its rather interesting that Mr. Nils Bohlin at Volvo was the first to invent and Patent the three point belts which are the standard today in 1958.

There is a bit of interesting trivia in the attached PDF

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Files
File Type: pdf seatbelt_history.pdf (43.8 KB, 259 views)
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 02:30   #1058
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,566
Thanked: 819 Times
Default

The pic with a Plymouth convertible has one old actor, whose name i dont remember, Krishna Kant or something like that. He played mostly a village masterji in most films or a meek rich guy who gets ripped by his scheming manager. Ill get it though.. Have not seen him lately in any film, maybe he is deceased. The actress looks again like Nirupa Roy and the guy on the right is Raj Mehra. He usually acted like a police commissioner. Both these guys were balding with a little hair on the sides when i got to seeing them on the screens.

Regarding the famous building, its the Famous Lab at Tardeo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
That lady could be actress Leela Chitnis, not sure though,Car on the left looks Jag like or something European.
She looks like Leela Chitnis to me too. The car....thats interesting, a British Marque perhaps, a Riley or Rover? The other car is a Dodge/Desoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This is the actress Shammi, who plays all the grandmother roles in todays serials and films
Shammi Aunty as she is popularly called, yup thats her all right, Bravo Amol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Random guess. Could the gentleman to Madhubala's left be Jaikishan of Shankar Jaikishan fame?

Thats Mohd. Rafi at the mike and judging by the Madhubala (boy, was she beautiful!!) pic and the quaint hairstyle, it may be Jaikishen.

Last edited by V-16 : 8th March 2010 at 02:44.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 03:12   #1059
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,566
Thanked: 819 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
In the recent lot of negatives which I got and develpoed, this picture was there. All film buffs are welcome with suggestion about the persons, the car and if, then which movie. There were other star pictures too.

Cheers harit
I did some asking around, seems like the man i identified as Sapru is Rai Mohan in the pic below. The man who looks to be the Director may well be Vijay Bhatt, grandfather of Vikram Bhatt and the man who made the film.

Name:  baijubawra.JPG
Views: 1242
Size:  101.5 KB

Could this pic of his be of the same film as posted by Harit? Rai Mohan played Swami Haridas, teacher of Tansen in the film Baiju Bawra. Could it be from the same film?

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-rai-mohan.jpg

Last edited by V-16 : 8th March 2010 at 03:13.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 12:30   #1060
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
This looks like Famous Studio Building very difficult to recognize it in this context (so much rubbish and clutter around it now), such a beautiful Building.

FYI at one time it was owned by my Maasi's family who own Prabhat Films. Incidentally they owned some very interesting cars hood ornaments of which survive with them till date, need to sit down with my aunt and go through their family albums. Maybe I'll take detective Karlos with me
Yes, that is why I put the word "famous" in the post. Just see the deterioration!
So you are related to the Prabhat family. Attached is a still of their logo, taken from a segment cut from a 35mm movie and printed. Surely we are talking of the same Prabhat.
They also had magazines in the 1930's, I came across one. In that there was a full page advertisement by Dadajee Dhackjee, agents of Packard in India, showing a picture of an actress named Rose with her new Packard 120, 1937, posing in front of Gateway of India. Lovely pic.
When you read the mag you will see that thinking was a bit different at that time.
May I also join when you go hunting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed4rmhyd View Post
This COUPE seems like a 1947-48 LINCOLN V12, the exterior door handles make it very distinct
It is a 1946, see link I have given. Door handles appear the same for all the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Harit,

I don't think the car would have had any seat belts.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe Ram
That was a joke on Rehan's post. My Amby does not have seat belts even today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
The pic with a Plymouth convertible has one old actor, whose name i dont remember, Krishna Kant or something like that. He played mostly a village masterji in most films or a meek rich guy who gets ripped by his scheming manager. Ill get it though.. Have not seen him lately in any film, maybe he is deceased. The actress looks again like Nirupa Roy and the guy on the right is Raj Mehra. He usually acted like a police commissioner. Both these guys were balding with a little hair on the sides when i got to seeing them on the screens.

She looks like Leela Chitnis to me too. The car....thats interesting, a British Marque perhaps, a Riley or Rover? The other car is a Dodge/Desoto

Shammi Aunty as she is popularly called, yup thats her all right, Bravo Amol.

Thats Mohd. Rafi at the mike and judging by the Madhubala (boy, was she beautiful!!) pic and the quaint hairstyle, it may be Jaikishen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I did some asking around, seems like the man i identified as Sapru is Rai Mohan in the pic below. The man who looks to be the Director may well be Vijay Bhatt, grandfather of Vikram Bhatt and the man who made the film. Could this pic of his be of the same film as posted by Harit? Rai Mohan played Swami Haridas, teacher of Tansen in the film Baiju Bawra. Could it be from the same film?
Well done V16. Tomorrow I will put up some more.
These photos, or their negatives came from a press photographer. Either he is no more, or due to some circumstances these were thrown out. My fellow is going to try and locate the place. Keeping fingers crossed.
The car on the right is a DeSoto.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 

Last edited by harit : 8th March 2010 at 12:35.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 22:11   #1061
Senior - BHPian
 
predatorwheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Delhi/Kolkata
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 1,078 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
mike and judging by the Madhubala (boy, was she beautiful!!) pic and the quaint hairstyle, it may be Jaikishen.
I was talking about the person standing to the left of Mohd Rafi, the one with the crazy hairstyle .
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 01:21   #1062
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: N Delhi/Pune/Kolkata/Schwarzenfeld
Posts: 884
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

So any illumination on the car in post # 1029, on Ms. Leela Chitnis' right? I made a feeble attempt to identify it as an Alvis, which has been summarily dismissed with no reply to it !! Harit, you said you had an idea, and Gogi said it's a British marque like a Riley or something. What is it? Experts from Guess the car thread, please solve the mystery. I'm glad to have learnt a lot about the film stars, a bit of auto-talk would excite me too, and also bring clarity on what is Off-Topic and what isn't - something I've been grappling with here for a while since signing up.
Prabal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 11:39   #1063
Senior - BHPian
 
agspins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MH-31
Posts: 1,545
Thanked: 255 Times
Default

The car in post # 1029 has shades of Lea Francis 2.5 Litre Sports, atleast that is what wheel caps look like...
but then even AC 2 litre drophead coupe has similar styling..
agspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 16:55   #1064
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
So you are related to the Prabhat family. Attached is a still of their logo, taken from a segment cut from a 35mm movie and printed. Surely we are talking of the same Prabhat.
They also had magazines in the 1930's.........................

will put up some more.
These photos, or their negatives came from a press photographer. Either he is no more, or due to some circumstances these were thrown out. My fellow is going to try and locate the place. Keeping fingers crossed.
The car on the right is a DeSoto.
Cheers harit
See the magazine cover below, "Prabhat" and published by Famous Pictures who were located on Lamington Road. This will link Prabhat, and Famous Pictures and Studios. The idea here is to show a link and possibility of the Mole unearthing some good photos. Remember, in those days the cars were with Government, Companies, some communities like Parsis and Kuchhis, and ofcourse the movie stars.
Unfortunately the building where this press photographer was having his address has gone into redevelopment, now finding him will be tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
So any illumination on the car in post # 1029, on Ms. Leela Chitnis' right? I made a feeble attempt to identify it as an Alvis, which has been summarily dismissed with no reply to it !! Harit, you said you had an idea, and Gogi said it's a British marque like a Riley or something. What is it? Experts from Guess the car thread, please solve the mystery. I'm glad to have learnt a lot about the film stars, a bit of auto-talk would excite me too, and also bring clarity on what is Off-Topic and what isn't - something I've been grappling with here for a while since signing up.
I had some idea but it bombed. Ram, please look into this too. That peculiar pressing above the mudguard where the photo ends is a stricking feature, but what is it? Not a Leaf, could not see a similar AC. The shape is similar to a Triumpf Roadster, but not the same.
Certainly a bit OP, but it started with cars and stars, we wanted to know who the stars were with the cars. The OT pics posted were meant to identify them. Tomorrow some more stars with cars.
I could easily go elsewhere to get them identified, or sit privately with V16, but then the comunity would not benefit. Wonder if you realised that these pictures could be rare? And being shared with the community!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
The car in post # 1029 has shades of Lea Francis 2.5 Litre Sports, atleast that is what wheel caps look like...
but then even AC 2 litre drophead coupe has similar styling..
I doubt that this is a Leaf or an AC, though examples of both these cars were present in Bombay. The AC had lost its engine and was supposed to have been purchased by Pranlal. The Leaf was a Nepean Sea Road car which was complete, but lost its engine, chrome during restoration. Now RIP. And the persons involved were collectors!!

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-prabhat-2.jpg  


Last edited by harit : 9th March 2010 at 17:03.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 20:30   #1065
Senior - BHPian
 
the mole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 685 Times
Default

Hi Harit
Thanks for the beautiful scans related to Prabhat, I will definately try to get some more intresting pics this weekend (especially since I am told that the VCCCI rally is further postponed). Incidentally all the cars of the owners sported the lady with the tootari in silver on the hood. Most of these hood ornaments are still there and intact. They did own a 170V where the Mercedes star was replaced by the lady playing the tootari.

Incidentally the first picture of the lady in the lotus is the mascot of Rajkamal studios, belonging to Mr V Shantaram who was originally partner in Prabhat films, they had some interesting cars too, lets see if Mr Kiran Shantaram will share some info about his family cars. Have you seen their Cadillac still parked at RajKamal?

Like a Maharajah and their cars thread should we start a thread for film wallahs and their cars?

Last edited by the mole : 9th March 2010 at 20:37.
the mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Nostalgic look at the Indian Racing Scene moralfibre Indian Motorsport 19 22nd October 2016 17:16
A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose? Dippy The Indian Car Scene 207 11th July 2013 00:51
Nostalgic drive on NH-4 teknicsand Travelogues 7 16th June 2011 13:16
Why do we all cover-up the number plates of our cars/bikes/scooters in pictures? anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 6 19th November 2008 20:34
A very Nostalgic Travelogue - 10 years ago mail4ajo Travelogues 17 15th April 2008 23:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks