Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Vintage Cars & Classics in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2010, 13:27   #1396
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default

Referring to my picture, so much enthusiasm and replies. Just as I expected.
I shows this picture to a friend of mine, he says that in his old Fiat, he has the same rear view mirror, and that there is a wire running behind it. Could the mirror have been illuminated?
When I looked behind in the second photo, there is one more detail, it says 4.30 PM.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 18:04   #1397
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,329
Thanked: 5,995 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Referring to my picture, so much enthusiasm and replies. Just as I expected.
And there is a good reason why you will often see so much enthusiasm (from us at least) over a humble Fiat compared to something exclusive as Rolls - we all grew up seeing them, often had one of them and relate to them.

I found this photo of a 1957 Chevy in my family albums. Nobody in the house remembers this photo, or who took it. It appears to be in Kerala, the regn maybe KRE 7453 (which matches records with the RTO).

Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-scan00.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 23:39   #1398
Senior - BHPian
 
SuperSelect's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai.
Posts: 1,802
Thanked: 203 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
.
I shows this picture to a friend of mine, he says that in his old Fiat, he has the same rear view mirror, and that there is a wire running behind it. Could the mirror have been illuminated?
Upto 1962, Fiats did have illuminated mirrors.. But this one looks different.
SuperSelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 17:36   #1399
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,327
Thanked: 3,975 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSelect View Post
Upto 1962, Fiats did have illuminated mirrors..
In fact all the Super Selects had illuminated RV mirrors that were connected to the driver's door for illumination. The mirror and also had a black switch for on/off purpose.There was another interior light affixed on the inside of the C pillar also with an on/off switch. This was semi oval shaped.
The 1100D (1965 onwards) came without such illuminated mirrors.
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 19:20   #1400
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,338
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
And there is a good reason why you will often see so much enthusiasm (from us at least) over a humble Fiat compared to something exclusive as Rolls - we all grew up seeing them, often had one of them and relate to them.

I found this photo of a 1957 Chevy in my family albums. Nobody in the house remembers this photo, or who took it. It appears to be in Kerala, the regn maybe KRE 7453 (which matches records with the RTO).

Attachment 439646
the car is indeed an ernakulam car but the location although appears to be in Kerala, one cannot be certain, because note that none of the shop names are written in Malayalam, but in English,HIndi and even Tamil.It could be Coimbatore .If it is Kerala, then it is most likely Mattanchery
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 19:59   #1401
BHPian
 
Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 276
Thanked: 74 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
the car is indeed an ernakulam car but the location although appears to be in Kerala, one cannot be certain, because note that none of the shop names are written in Malayalam, but in English,HIndi and even Tamil.It could be Coimbatore .If it is Kerala, then it is most likely Mattanchery
The place could very well be Kanyakumari . There is a Annapurana Gujarati hotel there (source :Gujarati Bhavan) . Till 1951, Kanyakumari was part of the erstwhile Travancore Cochin state which became Kerala. In 1951, when Kerala was formed, Kanyakumari district became part of Tamil Nadu.

So the answer to the question, "In which state where the car is parked?" depends on when the picture was taken.


-- Wind

Last edited by Wind : 17th October 2010 at 20:02.
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 12:45   #1402
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I found this photo of a 1957 Chevy in my family albums. Nobody in the house remembers this photo, or who took it. It appears to be in Kerala, the regn maybe KRE 7453 (which matches records with the RTO).
Two observations.
There appears to be a Beetle in the background, when you magnify the image you can see the 1300 / 1500 or whatever monogram in the background.
This Chevy is not the regular Belair, the side lined panel at the rear mudguard appears to be missing. Early transition models of this Chevy were missing these.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 11:47   #1403
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,329
Thanked: 5,995 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
So the answer to the question, "In which state where the car is parked?" depends on when the picture was taken.
The car dates to 1957, and the registration date I think is 1970s, so the picture was taken after the 1970s. Condition of the car also more or less backs this up. We also see a Mk 4 Amby which was introduced in the late 70s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This Chevy is not the regular Belair, the side lined panel at the rear mudguard appears to be missing. Early transition models of this Chevy were missing these.
I think those models were called the 210 - there was a powder blue car in Pune for many years which shifted to Bangalore (but remained in the family). Last pictures I saw on the forum showed the car in a derelict state.
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 17:26   #1404
Senior - BHPian
 
wasif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi (for now)
Posts: 2,927
Thanked: 332 Times
Default

In the 57 Chevy range there was the base 150 series then came the 210 and then the top of the line was the Bel Air amongst others
wasif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2010, 18:36   #1405
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default Freaky

I have finally managed to really freak out Karl, earlier I could only impress him. Have a look at the pictures below, and then read the text.



Almost 2 weeks ago I purchased a Rolls sales brochure. The guy had a torn album, there were car pictures, he gave me a scissor and told me to cut the pictures which I wanted. The album involved a Parsi family, and the album being in a bad state this was allowed. I had told Karl about these pictures, the 7 seater Fiat, the nice tourer seen from rear, as these were good pictures.



10 days later I was talking to a friend in Delhi, he told me that he had purchased an original photo album of Mr. Clyde Waddell, an American Photographer who was in Calcutta during world war II. Many of his pictures are on this thread, and have been extensively discussed. While talking to my friend, I started looking at this thread from page 1..........freaked, called Karl, went home checked the pictures, found that all are NOT identical, now what do you say to that??? Have kept them in the same order.

Now compare the pictures on page 1 and here.

Cheers harit

From page 1

From my album
Name:  OP Bawa 24.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  38.6 KB


From page 1

From my album
Name:  OP Bawa 25.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  19.9 KB


From page 1

From my album
Name:  OP Bawa 26.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  13.8 KB

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st October 2010 at 13:15. Reason: Harit, i've added the pics from page 1 in this post itself. Let me know if you want me to remove them for any reason.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2010, 09:50   #1406
Team-BHP Support
 
karlosdeville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 9,329
Thanked: 5,995 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I have finally managed to really freak out Karl, earlier I could only impress him. Have a look at the pictures below, and then read the text.



Almost 2 weeks ago I purchased a Rolls sales brochure. The guy had a torn album, there were car pictures, he gave me a scissor and told me to cut the pictures which I wanted. The album involved a Parsi family, and the album being in a bad state this was allowed. I had told Karl about these pictures, the 7 seater Fiat, the nice tourer seen from rear, as these were good pictures.

10 days later I was talking to a friend in Delhi, he told me that he had purchased an original photo album of Mr. Clyde Waddell, an American Photographer who was in Calcutta during world war II. Many of his pictures are on this thread, and have been extensively discussed. While talking to my friend, I started looking at this thread from page 1..........freaked, called Karl, went home checked the pictures, found that all are NOT identical, now what do you say to that??? Have kept them in the same order.

Now compare the pictures on page 1 and here.

Cheers harit
Now isn't this astounding? The world is a small place, the vintage and classic circle is even smaller.

My set of photos was given to me by the lady in Pune seen in most photos as a child. She was ailing and subsequently passed away. In those last few days I'm told her servants stole a lot of things from the house, including many large old albums. These must have found their way to sellers in Bombay I assume, from where you got them. Now everyone knows why its called Chor Bazaar

This first set of photos that I got mean a lot to me - they even started this Nostalgic thread, by far my favorite on the forum. And Harit, it is because of these first photos that we met and you joined the forum.

Spectacular stuff!
karlosdeville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 17:27   #1407
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 2,338
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
The place could very well be Kanyakumari . There is a Annapurana Gujarati hotel there (source :Gujarati Bhavan) . Till 1951, Kanyakumari was part of the erstwhile Travancore Cochin state which became Kerala. In 1951, when Kerala was formed, Kanyakumari district became part of Tamil Nadu.

So the answer to the question, "In which state where the car is parked?" depends on when the picture was taken.


-- Wind
Kerala state was formed in 1956 not 1951.Also I agree with Karl that this photo was taken some time after 1979.
ajay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2010, 20:01   #1408
BHPian
 
invinci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: belgaum
Posts: 92
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Congress Session 1924 - Belgaum

These photographs of Mahatma Gandhi, Mohammed Ali & other INC members being taken from the Railway Station to the Congress Session venue in 1924.


Name:  atstation.jpg
Views: 6382
Size:  52.8 KB


Name:  towardssession.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  54.7 KB


The photographs & article was posted by Dr. Nitin Khot on www.allaboutbelgaum.com

These photographs are certainly not from my family, I couldn't find a better thread to post. can anybody identify the vehicle?

regards
invinci
invinci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 13:52   #1409
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default

An old scene somewhere in Mumbai, probably some function held in the shamyana behind. There may be more Premiers here than there were recently at Dadar 5 garden meet

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Nostalgic automotive pictures including our family's cars-op-scene-12-.jpg  

harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 14:00   #1410
Distinguished - BHPian
 
harit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,440 Times
Default

Here is an Ariel bike, has a nice spotlight cum rearview mirror, AA badge, front shield. Must be Parsi owned.
May have a sidecar also.

Cheers harit
Attached Images
 

Last edited by harit : 1st November 2010 at 14:01.
harit is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Nostalgic look at the Indian Racing Scene moralfibre Indian Motorsport 19 22nd October 2016 17:16
A Nostalgic poll : Premier Padmini or Hindustan Ambassador. Which would you choose? Dippy The Indian Car Scene 207 11th July 2013 00:51
Nostalgic drive on NH-4 teknicsand Travelogues 7 16th June 2011 13:16
Why do we all cover-up the number plates of our cars/bikes/scooters in pictures? anjan_c2007 The Indian Car Scene 6 19th November 2008 20:34
A very Nostalgic Travelogue - 10 years ago mail4ajo Travelogues 17 15th April 2008 23:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:58.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks